Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

defensive ranking

CR91

But yet there was a different thread where Manusky was being toasted by a few. Some Colt fans have nothing but negative comments to say no matter how well the Colts play. They take one or two plays and judge the whole game. It seems there not really Colt fans, just whiners.

But yet there was a different thread where Manusky was being toasted by a few. Some Colt fans have nothing but negative comments to say no matter how well the Colts play. They take one or two plays and judge the whole game. It seems there not really Colt fans, just whiners.

There are a lot of really good posters here who provide well thought out opinions. I enjoy reading them.

You just have to ignore the whiners.

Is whining about whiners not whining?

Just goofing BTW,....

Some new players and lots of young kids that need time to learn the D and learn to play together.

Many here really don`t see what is going on so they have lots to beef about.

And D Jackson, McNary, and Landry are weaker links so that beef is real.

JMO that any overall serious judgement of this group before they have played half a season together shows someone just doesn`t get it.

And really, where our D is at the last 4 games - come Playoff time is what Counts.

How about that serious pass rush Newsome put on them Sunday. A Great move and one he hasn`t shown before. Patience!!

Some new players and lots of young kids that need time to learn the D and learn to play together.

Many here really don`t see what is going on so they have lots to beef about.

And D Jackson, McNary, and Landry are weaker links so that beef is real.

JMO that any overall serious judgement of this group before they have played half a season together shows someone just doesn`t get it.

And really, where our D is at the last 4 games - come Playoff time is what Counts.

How about that serious pass rush Newsome put on them Sunday. A Great move and one he hasn`t shown before. Patience!!

I totally agree for sure. It just sometimes gets old reading all the negative comments when there is good upside to this team. There are so many factors that go into a game and some seem to think teams and coaches can just snap their fingers and win games.

Manusky has really surprised me this year. I already thought of him as one of the best adjusting defensive coordinators in the league (The defense seemed to rarely give up 10 points or more after the first half). Wasn't expecting to be getting this many sacks though, and everyone is contributing to the number, it isn't just one person. Need to get TE's hammered out, but honestly we could have/should have won that game against the Broncos anyways. Holding them to 31 points is pretty good considering who they are. I really like when the offense turns the ball over, I can actually have a real hope that the defense will stop them. Seemed pretty hopeless in the past. 

Manusky has really surprised me this year. I already thought of him as one of the best adjusting defensive coordinators in the league (The defense seemed to rarely give up 10 points or more after the first half). Wasn't expecting to be getting this many sacks though, and everyone is contributing to the number, it isn't just one person. Need to get TE's hammered out, but honestly we could have/should have won that game against the Broncos anyways. Holding them to 31 points is pretty good considering who they are. I really like when the offense turns the ball over, I can actually have a real hope that the defense will stop them. Seemed pretty hopeless in the past.

Agreed. Best defense we have had in years.

Played great against two bad teams. Played good against two good teams (Texans, Ravens). C+ in the first two weeks, and that may be a low grade considering those offenses.

Important thing is they seem to be getting better, right?

I think the cumulitive grade for the first two weeks is about right. I personally was surprised by how well we played against a good Eagles team. We held Shady. I thought giving up such few points to that team was pretty decent. 7 of which I think came from a very short field. (my memory may be wrong on that)

We just need to improve our consistency and limit the big plays. We've still been giving up a fair anount of those. You take alot of those away and our defensive statistics would look a better. We're showing what we're capable of, now we need to work on eliminating the lapses and the little costly mistakes and penalties.

allow me to take a moment to whine about those who whine about whiners

[/whine]

Remember after week 2 when all those people were complaining that we were 0-2 and allowed around 60 points?  I don't hear anybody talking anymore! lol It's funny how those things work out.  I knew we didn't have anything to worry about.  It's nice to have freeman back.  Just think of the potential we still have when Jones/Butler come back, and if Landry can play well when his suspension is up.  I wasn't joking when I said we are a Super Bowl team even being 0-2, and before the season started!  I do think that our defense has a higher potential, and can play better than what they already are.

I'd offer a couple of thoughts. Being critical of schemes, game plans and play-calling may not be "negative". This is a completely separate issue from how well the players play. It is possible that very good players can often (but not always) compensate for bad strategies and tactics. When that happens, we still win the game. And good players do make mistakes. I think what is being said is - when our very talented team (our Colts) plays a less-talented team with better strategies (say the Texans, Eagles or Ravens) the game either becomes closer than it should - or we get beat (Eagles).

I realize it is very hard to separate the actual game play execution from the strategy and tactics, as they were designed. But after a while, it becomes obvious to some that sometimes, the problem is not due to the players.

I'd offer a couple of thoughts. Being critical of schemes, game plans and play-calling may not be "negative". This is a completely separate issue from how well the players play. It is possible that very good players can often (but not always) compensate for bad strategies and tactics. When that happens, we still win the game. And good players do make mistakes. I think what is being said is - when our very talented team (our Colts) plays a less-talented team with better strategies (say the Texans, Eagles or Ravens) the game either becomes closer than it should - or we get beat (Eagles).

I realize it is very hard to separate the actual game play execution from the strategy and tactics, as they were designed. But after a while, it becomes obvious to some that sometimes, the problem is not due to the players.

Not too many take into consideration the good play of the team the Colts are playing. It's easy to say the Colts didn't do this or didn't do that without seeing the other team and their capabilities.

Not too many take into consideration the good play of the team the Colts are playing. It's easy to say the Colts didn't do this or didn't do that without seeing the other team and their capabilities.

Here's some insight into game strategy from the business world: "Companies often blame their missteps on subpar execution. But drawing on the experiences of Toyota and Southwest Airlines, the authors demonstrate that firms’ fundamental choices about where to play and how to win precede any lapses or leaps in execution. Only firms with a strong strategic foundation succeed in the long term." - Strategy: An Executive’s Definition by Ken Favaro with Kasturi Rangan and Evan Hirsh.

To me, one of the fun parts of football is identifying strategy from the play of the game. It's easy to compare one teams strategies with another, especially if the other team is your opponent. If a talented team like the Colts don't win - or even won but didn't perform well against an average opponent - was it just bad luck (no pun intended) or bad strategy or tactics?

I give Manusky credit.  Over the last few weeks, I've finally seen that "exotic" type defense that I was hoping for when Pagano got here.  Guys standing up and moving around the line of scrimmage, different blitzes.  LOVE IT!!

Here's some insight into game strategy from the business world: "Companies often blame their missteps on subpar execution. But drawing on the experiences of Toyota and Southwest Airlines, the authors demonstrate that firms’ fundamental choices about where to play and how to win precede any lapses or leaps in execution. Only firms with a strong strategic foundation succeed in the long term." - Strategy: An Executive’s Definition by Ken Favaro with Kasturi Rangan and Evan Hirsh.

To me, one of the fun parts of football is identifying strategy from the play of the game. It's easy to compare one teams strategies with another, especially if the other team is your opponent. If a talented team like the Colts don't win - or even won but didn't perform well against an average opponent - was it just bad luck (no pun intended) or bad strategy or tactics?

Could be a little of all those things. Football is a crazy game sometimes and things happen that have no explanation. Maybe the shape of the ball?? :scratch:  :dunno: