Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Brian Hoyer the real deal in Cleveland; Pitt in last place

amfootball

Hoyer is making everyone forget Manziel. He is looking great this season.

On the flip, this may be the one of the worst Steelers in a long time. No discipline, lack of effort. I think it may be time for Tomlin to go. This team just does not seem to play for him anymore.

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't think Tomlin is the problem. The Owner and GM have not drafted well and refuses to keep any players who will cost what they think is a lot of money. Their defense has been getting old for quit a while now and they seem to think the defense players can be effective till their 35 years old. They wouldn't resign Sanders and now he is catching passes from Manning. Bruce Arians is gone but the Steelers are still in the frame of mind of letting Big Ben carry the whole team on his back. It takes more the one good RB and one good WR for an offense to be good. Look at Detroit's offense as an example.

I don't think Tomlin is the problem. The Owner and GM have not drafted well and refuses to keep any players who will cost what they think is a lot of money. Their defense has been getting old for quit a while now and they seem to think the defense players can be effective till their 35 years old. They wouldn't resign Sanders and now he is catching passes from Manning. Bruce Arians is gone but the Steelers are still in the frame of mind of letting Big Ben carry the whole team on his back. It take more the one good RB and one good WR for an offense to be good. Look at Detroit's offense as an example.

They didn't sign Sanders because he was mediocre there.

Hoyer completed 8/17 passes. 5 in first half, 3 in the 2nd.

I don't know how that makes you the real deal

More of a comment on his play this entire season. He did not need to do much passing yesterday as the Steelers were awful and the game was out of reach by halftime. He has been consistent this year and dynamic with his playmaking especially late in games. The Browns defense has always been good but now with him at QB they have a real chance to make some noise in the North.

More of a comment on his play this entire season. He did not need to do much passing yesterday as the Steelers were awful and the game was out of reach by halftime. He has been consistent this year and dynamic with his playmaking especially late in games. The Browns defense has always been good but now with him at QB they have a real chance to make some noise in the North.

Except this year where it's been pretty poor, funny eh?

Not getting excited about the Browns just yet. Their next 3 games are against the Jags, Raiders and Buccs however, which could put them atop their division before they play the Bengals. Good for them BTW.

Indeed, would be nice to see a competitive Browns team, they've been that bad for so long that they moved on from dumpster fire to oil well fire a long time ago. 

He's just not making mistakes. Last year we were -8 in turnover differential, this year we're plus 3 so far. We were 3-2 last year, we're 3-2 this year. 

We just lost Alex Mack for the season. 

But we play Oakland, Jacksonville and Tamp Bay the next three games. 

These next three games will determine if Brian Hoyer is the real deal, or just a really good game manager. Either way, he is getting a new contract. 

On the flip, this may be the one of the worst Steelers in a long time. No discipline, lack of effort. I think it may be time for Tomlin to go. This team just does not seem to play for him anymore.

Ben Tate, West, and Crowell have been the impressive ones. 

And yes, the Steelers suck.

How about put it in football terms,  which is what you know I was asking for.....

In his last season in Pitt he was 40th in receptions, 50th in yards, 30th in drop rate, 60th in deep catch %, 66th in yards/route run, and was even 60th in PFFs objective rating.

He was never anything special in Pittsburgh, and I don't know why people are now pretending like he was. 

In his last season in Pitt he was 40th in receptions, 50th in yards, 30th in drop rate, 60th in deep catch %, 66th in yards/route run, and was even 60th in PFFs objective rating.

He was never anything special in Pittsburgh, and I don't know why people are now pretending like he was. 

I didn't say he was anything special.   In fact I didn't say anything about him.

But,  I think "mediocre" is a horrible word.    And I don't think it's even close to accurate.

Put another way,  if he's graded out as the 60th best WR,  well,  there are 32 teams,  two starting WR's for each team (some teams even have 3)...    so,  he graded out as a WR worthy of being a starter on one of 32 teams.   I don't think that's "mediocre"..

And put still another way,  I don't think Denver thought they were signing a "mediocre" wide receiver.   And I don't think KC thought they were signing a "mediocre" WR when they gave him a 3/15 offer sheet that he reportedly signed.......

Who is the the greater Sparty?

A.  Cousins = Hoyer?

B.  Cousins > Hoyer?

C. Hoyer > Cousins?

D...Painter is greater than all.   :)  Ok just a lil joke.

At this point Hoyer's playing a lot more steady then Cousins and is probably better.

Cousins seems to be inconsistent.  He could have a good game and impress you and then go out and put on a really lousy performance.

But,  I think "mediocre" is a horrible word.   

It literally mean's average. Which is what he was.

Put another way,  if he's graded out as the 60th best WR,  well,  there are 32 teams,  two starting WR's for each team (some teams even have 3)...    so,  he graded out as a WR worthy of being a starter on one of 32 teams.   I don't think that's "mediocre"..

He was graded 66th out of 111. Sandwiched inbetween such greats as Kenbrell Thompkins and Earl Bennet. 

And put still another way,  I don't think Denver thought they were signing a "mediocre" wide receiver.   And I don't think KC thought they were signing a "mediocre" WR when they gave him a 3/15 offer sheet that he reportedly signed.......

I bet Ryan Grigson didn't think he was trading for a bad runningback when he gave up a first round pick for Trent Richardson either. I bet he didn't think he signed a terrible center when he signed Samson Satele. I bet he though Laron Landry was a great player when he gave him that big contract.

At this point Hoyer's playing a lot more steady then Cousins and is probably better.

Cousins seems to be inconsistent.  He could have a good game and impress you and then go out and put on a really lousy performance.

I had not seen much of either, and I am not just a 'stat' guy.  I do think Hoyer is hitting his stride and has the confidence of his teammates and fans.  Thanks, Valpo!

It literally mean's average. Which is what he was.

He was graded 66th out of 111. Sandwiched inbetween such greats as Kenbrell Thompkins and Earl Bennet. 

I bet Ryan Grigson didn't think he was trading for a bad runningback when he gave up a first round pick for Trent Richardson either. I bet he didn't think he signed a terrible center when he signed Samson Satele. I bet he though Laron Landry was a great player when he gave him that big contract.

Fair point on the contracts.

So, I'll put it another way....     I've seen some definitions that say mediocre equals average.    But I've seen other definitions where the word "average" doesn't appear at all.

I don't think the word mediocre = average in the world of sports.    I think if you asked any number of athletes in any sport how they'd prefer to be described -- and the only two choices are "average" and "mediocre" -- I think the overwhelming majority would prefer to be called "average" rather than "mediocre"...

I think mediocre has a much more negative connotation...   much, much worse.    That was my first thought,  that Dustin thinks Emmanual Sanders is below average.

I think he's a solid receiver.    If the Colts hadn't been able to sign Nicks,  I would've been fine if we had signed Sanders.   I don't see him as mediocre.

Sanders himself explained it very well.  Manning is a better teammate than Roethlisberger is.  Manning has worked with him to develop timing and knowledge of how the passes would be delivered, Roethlisberger did not.  It is no surprise whatsoever that he is doing so well with Manning.  I think it would be interesting to see how much better Antonio Brown could be with Manning.

Sanders himself explained it very well.  Manning is a better teammate than Roethlisberger is.  Manning has worked with him to develop timing and knowledge of how the passes would be delivered, Roethlisberger did not.  It is no surprise whatsoever that he is doing so well with Manning.  I think it would be interesting to see how much better Antonio Brown could be with Manning.

The Pitt offense is awful under Haley. Not sure if you can really chalk that up to Ben even though Sanders said Manning was a better leader.

Tomlin is not the problem on the coaching staff. He's managed well in his years. The offense didn't start having issues until they brought in Todd Haley.