• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Who is the the greater Sparty?

A. Cousins = Hoyer?

B. Cousins > Hoyer?

C. Hoyer > Cousins?

D...Painter is greater than all. :) Ok just a lil joke.

Drew Stanton? ;)

All kidding aside, I'm pleased that Hoyer is the starting QB and is winning games for the much maligned Browns. He was playing very well last year before his injury.

According to the team website:

"ProFootballFocus.com tweeted this about Brian Hoyer -- he leads all quarterbacks with 531 yards coming on deep passes traveling 16 yards or further in the air. Second is Philip Rivers (475); third is Andrew Luck (449). Hoyer’s arm strength has been on display in every game this season."

http://www.clevelandbrowns.com/news/article-1/Locker-Room-Report-Brian-Hoyer-rated-as-the-best-deep-passer-in-the-NFL/f84ccaa4-8e55-402c-a253-58b175c113ab

Drew Stanton? ;)

All kidding aside, I'm pleased that Hoyer is the starting QB and is winning games for the much maligned Browns. He was playing very well last year before his injury.

"ProFootballFocus.com tweeted this about Brian Hoyer -- he leads all quarterbacks with 531 yards coming on deep passes traveling 16 yards or further in the air. Second is Philip Rivers (475); third is Andrew Luck (449). Hoyer’s arm strength has been on display in every game this season."

http://www.clevelandbrowns.com/news/article-1/Locker-Room-Report-Brian-Hoyer-rated-as-the-best-deep-passer-in-the-NFL/f84ccaa4-8e55-402c-a253-58b175c113ab

Good stuff NFLfan.  Love the Stanton reference.  I thought he was a nice backup here before moving on to AZ!

I remember the day when all we had to watch on Sundays were Browns,Bengals and Bears games here...and Saint Louis Cardinals.  I too would like the Browns to 'get there' again, but not against the Colts :)

No true fan can say they do not like the crazy atmosphere in Cleveland.   :thmup:

Drew Stanton? ;)

That's pretty impressive considering the talent they have at WR. That said when Gordon comes back that is scary for other teams if they have a legitiment deep threat. There is nothing incredibly impressive about Hoyer but he just seems to not let the moment get bigger than him. Plays within the offense and seems to be a good leader. All that said he INSN'T coming back next year...they didn't spend a 1st rd pick on Manziel to sit him. Hoyer will be playing somewhere else next year (NYJ) and Johnny football will have free reign.

That's pretty impressive considering the talent they have at WR. That said when Gordon comes back that is scary for other teams if they have a legitiment deep threat. There is nothing incredibly impressive about Hoyer but he just seems to not let the moment get bigger than him. Plays within the offense and seems to be a good leader. All that said he INSN'T coming back next year...they didn't spend a 1st rd pick on Manziel to sit him. Hoyer will be playing somewhere else next year (NYJ) and Johnny football will have free reign.

Give me one good reason the Browns won't re-sign Hoyer. 

Either they believe Manziel is the future at QB or decide to ride the Hoyer train. If they ride the Hoyer train, then they would need to deal Manziel to recoup some of the loss of burning a 1st rounder on him. The situation as it stands, while good from a talent perspective, is untenable from a business and ego perspective, as Johnny isn't the type of personality that's going to wait forever, especially not at the round he was drafted in. While Hoyer performing now for the Browns is fantastic for the fanbase, it creates something of a quagmire for the front office, as they will have to choose who to put their chips behind in the offseason. Unless a legitimately insane push is made and the Browns take the North, I think the Browns will attempt to play Hoyer off as a better than expected stop gap to give Johnny time to mature through his rookie year, and proclaim Manziel the guy of the future.

It's a tough call.

I think at the end of the if Hoyer doesn't make the playoffs he will not be resigned !! I think it's a classic case of front office vs the head coach and his coordinators I do believe Hoyer is solid but not sure he is leading any team to the SuperBowl !! I can't help but kinda root for him over Manziel but ultimately I think he will be done unfairly by the front office!

No I guess they don't....just like they have not done in years...make a choice and stick with it.  They are afraid to.

What are you even talking about? "Sticking with" a decision when it was the wrong decision is stupid and stubborn. 

They don't have to do anything with either guy, they will both be on the roster next year, unless someone gives us a monumentally stupid trade offer like the Colts for Richardson. 

Because they've invested a first rd pick into Manziel. They've basically tried to GIVE him the job in the preseason only he couldn't win it...and the GM brought the kid in...he is tied to him....he is going to want to play him. I'm telling you...they will give him EVERY opportunity to start....and if Hoyer continues to play well (but not completely crazy good) he is going to demand a contract around 15 million a year and is going to want job security. Same reason the Bears resigned Cutler and let Mccown walk. Same reason many teams force their young qbs out there even when there is a better more stable veteren backing them up. Its about money and its about your reputation. I'm telling you its a bitter pill to swallow by saying we screwed up with our first rd qb pick year 1 into the process and move on from him. I mean the Jets and Bills were forcing worse qbs to start....the Jets have only invested a 2nd rd pick in the kid and they act like they HAVE to play him. Of course I could be wrong but we've seen this story a hundred times. So there is like a half a dozen reason why they wont....and unless he totally falls off and they can resign him at a reasonable rate they aren't bringing him back as a starter....and since he is better than Manziel and probably always will be...that would create an issue in the locker room. Are you telling me you think the organization is going to be "OK" with a first rd pick holding a clip board for the next 5 yrs...because Hoyer is going to look for at least a 4-5 yr contract to start at the rate he is playing now....and a team like the Jets with wads of cash will be able to offer it. Sorry...his market is too high and Cleveland won't invest in 2 qbs. My opinion of course....unless you think they can move Manziel for another first rd pick (very doubtful).

I said a good reason, not because a rookie already under contract, that hasn't played is there. Letting go of a good QB because Manziel is on the roster isn't a good reason. 

Again...we've seen this story a hundred times....it might not be a good reason but its still often times THE reason.

Because they've invested a first rd pick into Manziel. They've basically tried to GIVE him the job in the preseason only he couldn't win it...and the GM brought the kid in...he is tied to him....he is going to want to play him. I'm telling you...they will give him EVERY opportunity to start....and if Hoyer continues to play well (but not completely crazy good) he is going to demand a contract around 15 million a year and is going to want job security. Same reason the Bears resigned Cutler and let Mccown walk. Same reason many teams force their young qbs out there even when there is a better more stable veteren backing them up. Its about money and its about your reputation. I'm telling you its a bitter pill to swallow by saying we screwed up with our first rd qb pick year 1 into the process and move on from him. I mean the Jets and Bills were forcing worse qbs to start....the Jets have only invested a 2nd rd pick in the kid and they act like they HAVE to play him. Of course I could be wrong but we've seen this story a hundred times. So there is like a half a dozen reason why they wont....and unless he totally falls off and they can resign him at a reasonable rate they aren't bringing him back as a starter....and since he is better than Manziel and probably always will be...that would create an issue in the locker room. Are you telling me you think the organization is going to be "OK" with a first rd pick holding a clip board for the next 5 yrs...because Hoyer is going to look for at least a 4-5 yr contract to start at the rate he is playing now....and a team like the Jets with wads of cash will be able to offer it. Sorry...his market is too high and Cleveland won't invest in 2 qbs. My opinion of course....unless you think they can move Manziel for another first rd pick (very doubtful).

Manziel was the 2nd of two first round picks we had. Going into another year where we again have two first round picks. He isn't making much money and we have lots of cap space. If Hoyer continues to play like he is now and win games, he will either get re-signed or get a franchise tag. 

They will both be on the roster next year, some way some how. 

Manziel was the 2nd of two first round picks we had. Going into another year where we again have two first round picks. He isn't making much money and we have lots of cap space. If Hoyer continues to play like he is now and win games, he will either get re-signed or get a franchise tag. 

They will both be on the roster next year, some way some how. 

For your sake I hope Hoyer is still there....that said I've seen this too many times that teams let a guy go because he isn't "THE MAN". They invested in their 1st rd pick (not just any pick but a lightening rod of a pick) the face of the franchise. You can't sell Hoyer as that. If he continues to play well some other team is going to offer good money for the guy. Cleveland loves what he is doing for them but they don't necessarily want him! He was a backup last year they tried to make him a backup this year...sad fact is the two first rd pick qbs they had couldn't beat him out. I would be shocked if Cleveland invests in him. To give him 15 million a year which is what he might command on the open market if he leads them to the playoffs...shocked when they have "their" guy. They may do a sign and trade but he isn't worth franchise tag for qb...thats probably around 20 million. A team like the Jets are a perfect logical fit for a guy like Hoyer. They have tons of money to spend and likely will win just enough games to miss out on the Mariota or the top qb in the draft. Cleveland is lucky that the market for qbs next offseason is not as big as this past one. I completely agree they should keep him but I just don't see them investing in a guy they just wanted to sweep out of the way for their franchise qb in Manziel.

For your sake I hope Hoyer is still there....that said I've seen this too many times that teams let a guy go because he isn't "THE MAN". They invested in their 1st rd pick (not just any pick but a lightening rod of a pick) the face of the franchise. You can't sell Hoyer as that. If he continues to play well some other team is going to offer good money for the guy. Cleveland loves what he is doing for them but they don't necessarily want him! He was a backup last year they tried to make him a backup this year...sad fact is the two first rd pick qbs they had couldn't beat him out. I would be shocked if Cleveland invests in him. To give him 15 million a year which is what he might command on the open market if he leads them to the playoffs...shocked when they have "their" guy. They may do a sign and trade but he isn't worth franchise tag for qb...thats probably around 20 million. A team like the Jets are a perfect logical fit for a guy like Hoyer. They have tons of money to spend and likely will win just enough games to miss out on the Mariota or the top qb in the draft. Cleveland is lucky that the market for qbs next offseason is not as big as this past one. I completely agree they should keep him but I just don't see them investing in a guy they just wanted to sweep out of the way for their franchise qb in Manziel.

Hoyer is from Cleveland, he went to High School less than 1 mile from the Stadium. He isn't going anywhere and neither is Manziel. He isn't going to get 15 million a year either. 

What are you even talking about? "Sticking with" a decision when it was the wrong decision is stupid and stubborn. 

They don't have to do anything with either guy, they will both be on the roster next year, unless someone gives us a monumentally stupid trade offer like the Colts for Richardson. 

I should have known better than to try to talk to you with any kind of good attitude.  Go smell up the Browns website.  You can have both of them.  I do not give a  :censored2:

I should have known better than to try to talk to you with any kind good attitude.  Go smell up the Browns website.  You can have both of them.  I do not give a 

Right, you lead with a jab about the Browns not sticking with a decision and cry when I jab back with a Trich. Cool

Hoyer is from Cleveland, he went to High School less than 1 mile from the Stadium. He isn't going anywhere and neither is Manziel. He isn't going to get 15 million a year either. 

Andy Dalton and Jay Cutler are getting north of that. With Hoyers pedigree with NE and what he is doing this year if he finishes as strong as he is playing now...I think he could very well see a contract in the 12-15m range....looking at cap hits for qbs next year that would put him in the Carson Palmer, Alex Smith, Jay Cutler range....pretty much where his skill level is based on his performance so far this year. Where he went to school etc is pointless....it didn't get him the job nor will it keep him the job. They were DESPERATE to give it to Manziel...I know I could be wrong about all this but somebody will slip in whether its a desperate Tennessee team or Jets team and offer him a contract long term even if its only 10-15 million that will make it very distasteful for Cleveland to match when they want to make Johnny football "THEIR GUY". For Clevelands success I hope I'm wrong...but I just don't have a feeling they want this guy at the top.

Maybe not from cleavland. but he will get that on the open market if he continues to play well.

Andy Dalton and Jay Cutler are getting north of that. With Hoyers pedigree with NE and what he is doing this year if he finishes as strong as he is playing now...I think he could very well see a contract in the 12-15m range....looking at cap hits for qbs next year that would put him in the Carson Palmer, Alex Smith, Jay Cutler range....pretty much where his skill level is based on his performance so far this year. Where he went to school etc is pointless....it didn't get him the job nor will it keep him the job. They were DESPERATE to give it to Manziel...I know I could be wrong about all this but somebody will slip in whether its a desperate Tennessee team or Jets team and offer him a contract long term even if its only 10-15 million that will make it very distasteful for Cleveland to match when they want to make Johnny football "THEIR GUY". For Clevelands success I hope I'm wrong...but I just don't have a feeling they want this guy at the top.

They absolutely were not "desperate" to give it to Manziel. If that were the case, they would have just given it to him, neither played well in preseason. They both stunk. 

I had this same argument about Alex Mack, all freaking offseason with this group. He wasn't going anywhere and neither is Hoyer. 

They absolutely were not "desperate" to give it to Manziel. If that were the case, they would have just given it to him, neither played well in preseason. They both stunk.

I had this same argument about Alex Mack, all freaking offseason with this group. He wasn't going anywhere and neither is Hoyer.

They traded up to draft johnny knucklehead. That is a desperation move

You may be right (again) but that would be unfortunate. Cleveland has had no stability at QB, in its coaching staff, and the front office. As a fan of the NFL, I would prefer that they retain Hoyer but the owner and the fans seem to want Manziel. As you wrote here and in other posts, the team invested a lot in Manziel and will want him to play. Hoyer knows this too. The article below seems to suggest that Hoyer may not resign with the Browns because he wants to start.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000410770/article/brian-hoyer-mum-on-extension-with-manziel-around

It doesn't mean anything. The Browns don't have to let Hoyer go and they don't have to trade Manziel.

Hoyer wants to start. The Browns may want to re-sign him but he does not have to sign. He knows that as long as Manziel is there, Manziel is the future QB.

If they really like Hoyer,  there's no reason to make a decision on Manziel yet.

They're both affordable....    they can both stay on the roster for a number of years....

thats a black eye to your fan base when you waste a first round pick on a benchwarmer. I say resign hoyer and trade manziel to jerry haha

Confused a bit. You say in a post just before this one...."If Hoyer continues to play like he is now and win games, he will either get re-signed or get a franchise tag. "

So how about you look yo the projected price to franchise a QB and revisit this.

Ehhh .. when you have Andrew Luck you can afford to pee away a first round pick or two.

thats a black eye to your fan base when you waste a first round pick on a benchwarmer. I say resign hoyer and trade manziel to jerry haha

I think it's WAY too early to call Manziel a wasted pick.    Way too early.

In the long-run, he might turn out to be the Brown's eventual quarterback.    It's so incredibly early in the process.

Or, if managed properly,  they'll be able to trade him someday down the road and get a decent pick in return.   At least, if you're the Browns,  that has to be the hope.

To be clear.   I'm not a Manziel fan and wasn't a fan of the Browns using the pick on him.    But we're only 6 weeks into the season, and it's a marathon not a sprint.    Sometimes these things have a way of working themselves out.....