Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Andrew Luck...

COLTSFAN12to13

Did he throw a pick? I thought it was just the one tipped ball? I don't count that crap. Even though he needs to try to look off the defenders more.

5 of his picks are off tipped balls. The o-line is keeping the defense off of him, but they are just on the cusp while batting balls with regularity.

we wouldn't have this team if peyton were still here

It's hard to say.  I would hope we would still have gotten rid of Polian, but Grigson has done a better job in building a more complete team than Polian.  Plus, given every draft pick Cleveland had in 2012 (and any others they may have thrown in), plus the ones we had for ourselves, we could have built quite a team.  With that said, I'm very happy with how it all turned out for everyone involved and I love where we are as a team

Yeah salary cap is important.

Technically, we have the cap space this year to substitute Manning for Luck. And with the extra draft picks we'd have from trading #1 in 2012, the team might be something serious by now.

Still no question, though, you don't pass on Andrew Luck, period.

Technically, we have the cap space this year to substitute Manning for Luck. And with the extra draft picks we'd have from trading #1 in 2012, the team might be something serious by now.

Still no question, though, you don't pass on Andrew Luck, period.

Don't pass on Luck? Even when you can have Peyton Manning?

Honestly I would have loved keeping Manning and trading the pick. Feel we would be in multiple Super Bowls. Don't think Luck will ever be better than Manning. JMO.

Honestly I would have loved keeping Manning and trading the pick. Feel we would be in multiple Super Bowls. Don't think Luck will ever be better than Manning. JMO.

He has the potential to be so much better. In order to clear cap space they would have had to dump a ton of players with it, and draft picks are no guarantee to work out. So I'm fine because we stand as a much more solid all around team. Not one dude.

Manning in March of 2012 was a mystery. But even if you're certain that Manning is going to come back and play at a high level, I still don't think it's advisable to pass on a prospect like Luck. It would have been messy and ridiculous to keep both of them, but I'd rather do that than trade the pick. Luck has a lot more years in him than Manning does.

Also, Luck doesn't have to be as good as Manning or better than Manning for the Luck era Colts to have more postseason success than the Manning era Colts did. 

You also have to remember the mess that was 2012. Tons of dead cap space, we would have been trying to rebuild on the fly while stuck up against the cap, we probably wouldn't have been able to keep Mathis and Wayne, probably don't sign Cory Redding, etc. The extra draft picks would have eased some of the pain, but not in 2012. And Manning was playing his way back into shape, and wound up having a pretty good year, but it would have been asking a lot for him to drag that team into the playoffs. The next year, and this year? Different story, but it's still a much different roster than it would have been. No telling what would have happened.

Disclaimer: The last thing I ever wanted to see happen was for Peyton Manning to leave and go play somewhere else. I still hate that it happened. But there's no question in my mind that it was the right decision, and in two or three years when Manning is retired, and Luck is one of the best QBs in the league and the Colts are one of the best teams in the league, I think the debate will subside. I think it already has, to a great degree.