Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

A Coach and 3 QBs to play a game for your life

Shane Bond

Peyton, who I respect, is past his prime. That doesn't mean he's garbage. It just means he's past his greatest point. Every postprime quarterback who was ever any good managed to chug along in their postprime (which Peyton has done admirably)...then blow 1 huge game every year. This year it was the SB. Last year it was a big game on MNF against Atlanta. Next year it will be some other game. It happened to Favre, Marino, and literally every quarterback not named John Elway who hung around. I don't get to bent out of shape about it. Peyton is a Hofer if he retires now, just the same as if he would have retired in 2010 just like Favre is going to be whether he quit in 2010 or 2003 (or 1999?).

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Peyton, who I respect, is past his prime. That doesn't mean he's garbage. It just means he's past his greatest point. Every postprime quarterback who was ever any good managed to chug along in their postprime (which Peyton has done admirably)...then blow 1 huge game every year. This year it was the SB. Last year it was a big game on MNF against Atlanta. Next year it will be some other game. It happened to Favre, Marino, and literally every quarterback not named John Elway who hung around. I don't get to bent out of shape about it. Peyton is a Hofer if he retires now, just the same as if he would have retired in 2010 just like Favre is going to be whether he quit in 2010 or 2003 (or 1999?).

You do make a valid point BC. Peyton can't carry a team all by himself anymore since 2009 & there's no crime in that. He needs help to win down the stretch just like most seasoned vets. 

I just wish some diehard 18 fans [i won't mention any names] would prepare themselves for the possibility that 1 SB ring might be the only jewelry on his HOF resume. He can't be the face of the NFL for eternity. Like the Rolling Stones said "You Can't Always Get What You Want."

I may think that actress Zoe Saldana is smoking hot, but I have no illusions about making her my wife. Probably not gonna happen darn it.  haha She's already married. Figures, SW1 is always late in the romantic bliss game. Oh well...

Zoe is very easy on the eyes though. See...I told ya man...Plus, she is very limber & skilled in dance & martial arts...Meow...

936full_zoe_saldana_-7.jpg

Bingo! Shane nailed it. Yes, Peyton played fantastic against the Chargers & the Patriots, but for some unknown reason, the SB appears to be 18's most recent achilles heel. I will acknowledge openly that Decker played like a wuss & Peyton couldn't be expected to win or dig out of this huge hole with just Wes Welker & Knowshon Moreno alone.

I agree that Chancellor pick was horrendous. I'm hoping our pickups of TJ Ward, DeMarcus Ware, & Aqib Talib will help give Manning a short field generating some Denver turnovers of our own.  I am reasonable. I know that 18 needs some caboose kicking dawgs on defense. Woof! I know that. 

It gives no pleasure to highlight Manning hiccups, but I do it because I want these weaknesses dealt with so Peyton can acquire that 2nd elusive ring. Call it tough love if you want. Thanks for your support Shane. 

I have no issue with fans being loyal to 18; I just don't live in the excuses world. What's the problem, fix it, & get that 2nd Lombardi trophy. 

The strange thing is this: Sometimes, I think Peyton is too analytical for his own good & needs to take a page from the Brett Favre gunslinger playbook. You can get burned yes but once in a while calculated, recklessness is a good thing & I wanna see Manning on the sidelines pumping up his troops. That image of him wearing his helmet in silence at SB losses just rubs me the wrong way. I wanna see some anger & some visible fire & furry. JMO. 

I'm not saying that Peyton isn't competitive. I know he is exceptionally driven. I just wanna see that 18 is human & that he gets ticked off. Yes, every QB has their own style. I get that.

I completely agree, SW1. 

The whole reason I bring up the Peyton SB ducking his performance scenario issue is simple: 18 can't be allowed to get a pass for his loss as the Broncos QB because all these ploys to protect Manning hide the fact that his SB dilemma is a huge problem that won't be solved by burying his head in the sand & pretending that this isn't a serious problem. 

Also, what kind of precedent does it set that Manning will never address his poor performance publicly? People like Jvan are acting like I am cross examining a NAZI war criminal at the Nuremberg trials just because I wanna hear Peyton admit that he delivered a less than stellar QB performance on February 2nd. What? It is a travesty to have a HOF field general say I sucked tonight? Are you freaking kidding me?! Come back to me when you have a real problem. 

There's no crime in saying you sucked, but living in such a state of denial that you refuse to state I was atrocious tonight means that a QB thinks he is somehow immune from stating the obvious & that he is part of privileged class that is shielded from reasonable questions. Because of Manning high profile stature is precisely why fairness must be observed here & why 18 needs to be called on the carpet for acting like a spoiled child. Yes, I really believe too BTW. 

Yes I'm sure that Manning has broken down the game tape many times privately already, but for some one who is a master at public image, Peyton fumbled the public relations ball twice in horrific fashion ie post SB & David Letterman. And asking him to assess his own role in the SB is not 60 Minute hard hitting investigative journalism; It's common sense & a reasonable request. 

"They executed better than we did. We knew they had a good defense. We knew they were fast. It was a matter of us do our jobs better & we just didn't do our job tonight." --Peyton Manning SB 48 Press Conference

I hear all "we's" there Peyton no "I's"...It reminds me of an apology that begins with "For those who were offended" vs "I apologize." 1 deflects blame vs the other accepts responsibility actually. 

The noise issue is an interesting problem that HC John Fox screwed up on or didn't prepare for. Peyton isn't responsible for that breakdown/safety IMO...

Jvan, tell me in that press conference above where Manning owns up to his SB loss personally. Not we, our, or us, but I Peyton Manning didn't deliver the goods tonight.

"I thought overall our execution just wasn't real sharp" or "I have to give them a lot of credit for forcing turnovers. " Both quotes hide under the team umbrella concept or give praise to the "Legion Of Boom Seahawks defense. Nice complements on Manning's behalf sure, but where's Peyton's individual assessment of his own QB performance exactly?

He should have said "I wasn't sharp tonight. I failed to execute tonight." That is taking full responsibility. That's what true leadership is. Owning up to your own shortcomings. QBs can't take all the glory when they win & then seek shelter under the "we" "Us" & "Our" asylum banner when you get creamed in the SB. I'm just saying...

Hint: Not there because he refused to address it. You know it & I know it Jvan. What's the excuse now? There are so many. I can't keep track of them all anymore like running after a bag of spilled marbles.

stock-photo-green-and-gold-marbles-spill

Jvan, tell me in that press conference above where Manning owns up to his SB loss personally. Not we, our, or us, but I Peyton Manning didn't deliver the goods tonight.

"I thought overall our execution just wasn't real sharp" or "I have to give them a lot of credit for forcing turnovers. " Both quotes hide under the team umbrella concept or give praise to the "Legion Of Boom Seahawks defense. Nice complements on Manning's behalf sure, but where's Peyton's individual assessment of his own QB performance exactly?

He should have said "I wasn't sharp tonight. I failed to execute tonight." That is taking full responsibility. That's what true leadership is. Owning up to your own shortcomings. QBs can't take all the glory when they win & then seek shelter under the "we" "Us" & "Our" asylum banner when you get creamed in the SB. I'm just saying...

Hint: Not there because he refused to address it. You know it & I know it Jvan. What's the excuse now? There are so many. I can't keep track of them all anymore like running after a bag of spilled marbles.

stock-photo-green-and-gold-marbles-spill

Again no superbowl losing qb has done what you're asking of peyton. Why?

He has a lot of great come-from-behind victories, but most of the ones I remember were sparked by the defense.  I think he's great at playing catch up, but his ability to close out games is incredible.  His ability to diagnose defenses and call audibles leading to extended drives is amazing.  I see Peyton truly shine when he is asked to eat up clock.

I seem to recall one against Tampa Bay where most everyone gave up on the game, left the stadium and missed one of the great comebacks of all time. I think you are right though that most come from behind wins are fueled by the defense making great plays.

I seem to recall one against Tampa Bay where most everyone gave up on the game, left the stadium and missed one of the great comebacks of all time. I think you are right though that most come from behind wins are fueled by the defense making great plays.

Let's be honest; were you more surprised by Peyton puting us in a position to win or by Vanderjagt actually sealing it at the end (after a "leaping" call)? 

I remember a play in that game where we got an interception (I think it was Doss or Bashir), they stripped the ball away from him, they recovered it, and they ran it in for a touchdown.

Old School Head Coach: Coryell 

Old School QB's:

Dan Marino 

Kurt Warner 

Joe Montana

New School Coach: Pete Carroll

New(er) QB's: 

Aaron Rogers 

Andrew Luck 

Nick Foles 

I can't pick Brady (crybaby) 

I can't pick Peyton (not the best post season record) 

GM (any time period): Ozzie Newsome 

Old School Head Coach: Coryell 

Old School QB's:

Dan Marino 

Kurt Warner 

Joe Montana

New School Coach: Pete Carroll

New(er) QB's: 

Aaron Rogers 

Andrew Luck 

Nick Foles 

I can't pick Brady (crybaby) 

I can't pick Peyton (not the best post season record) 

GM (any time period): Ozzie Newsome 

crybaby LOL

Coach: Belichick. Love him or hate him, he's been an extremely consistent winner in an era where the league makes it harder for teams to sustain success over a long period of time. If the Patriots get two more playoff victories under Belichick, he will be the winningest coach in post-season history. And if he coaches as long as Shula did, he'll obliterate the regular season win total as well. 

1st Half - Bart Starr. 9-1 playoff record? 6-time champion? Pretty sure he'd get you a solid first half.

2nd Half - Tom Brady. You can't leave the NFL's all-time-leading QB for postseason wins off the team. 

OT - Joe Montana. Still the coolest customer ever. 

They didn't blow the game against Seattle, they were simply dominated by a superior team who played great that day. Although, I agree that Manning isn't physically what he once was.

Again no superbowl losing qb has done what you're asking of peyton. Why?

No, I am asking Peyton to assess his 2014 SB performance. If he can do that for the regular season & Playoffs why not the SB? Please stop trying to change the subject & create an artificial premise of your own making "to shield & protect Manning" from admitting his own weakness or lackluster performance Jvan. The more you do it; the more flawed & childish your argument becomes. 

I explained why Peyton should be mandated to talk about his SB performance in post #45 BTW. Now, you are free to disagree with my reasons naturally, but I believe I was quite articulate & easy to comprehend throughout this entire thread. 

Is it really that hard for Peyton to say I failed to execute effectively tonight & not we using his teammates as a human shield? He talks very well in front of any camera or microphone I have seen for over a decade. He has no problem using his tongue & stating his perspective on things. The excuse train keeps rolling down the track apparently. Sad just sad...

Tom Brady & Drew Brees always man up & often say "I was not sharp in this game." They don't duck & dodge press questions. Again, giving Manning a pass on a brief SB self examination sets a disastrous precedent because every other position on a football field is open to scrutiny why not the QB? People get evaluated in their occupations everyday & how hard is it to answer the following question: How productive do you think you were tonight? Spectacular, above average, dismal, or not my finest hour?  

Look, there goes the excuse train again...Chug-A-Chugga Woo! Woo! 

Coach: Belichick. Love him or hate him, he's been an extremely consistent winner in an era where the league makes it harder for teams to sustain success over a long period of time. If the Patriots get two more playoff victories under Belichick, he will be the winningest coach in post-season history. And if he coaches as long as Shula did, he'll obliterate the regular season win total as well. 

1st Half - Bart Starr. 9-1 playoff record? 6-time champion? Pretty sure he'd get you a solid first half.

2nd Half - Tom Brady. You can't leave the NFL's all-time-leading QB for postseason wins off the team. 

OT - Joe Montana. Still the coolest customer ever. 

If you have Brady holding down the fort in the 2nd half, do you really need Joe in your back pocket GP? Doubtful & highly unlikely. Just messing with ya buddy!  haha

I respect Joe but he blew some games, just like other Hof quarterbacks (Vikings upset, Giants blowout and sophomore slump season yes even Joe Cool had 1). Speaking of Hofers, Joe had like 65 of them on his team along with second tier guys who made the Pro Bowl almost every year.

They all blow games from time to time, but in the biggest game of them all he was undefeated. You also can't knock him because the team around him was good. They had to find players like every other team. So their God given talents... and the system made them that good.

No, I am asking Peyton to assess his 2014 SB performance. If he can do that for the regular season & Playoffs why not the SB? Please stop trying to change the subject & create an artificial premise of your own making "to shield & protect Manning" from admitting his own weakness or lackluster performance Jvan. The more you do it; the more flawed & childish your argument becomes.

I explained why Peyton should be mandated to talk about his SB performance in post #45 BTW. Now, you are free to disagree with my reasons naturally, but I believe I was quite articulate & easy to comprehend throughout this entire thread.

Is it really that hard for Peyton to say I failed to execute effectively tonight & not we using his teammates as a human shield? He talks very well in front of any camera or microphone I have seen for over a decade. He has no problem using his tongue & stating his perspective on things. The excuse train keeps rolling down the track apparently. Sad just sad...

Tom Brady & Drew Brees always man up & often say "I was not sharp in this game." They don't duck & dodge press questions. Again, giving Manning a pass on a brief SB self examination sets a disastrous precedent because every other position on a football field is open to scrutiny why not the QB? People get evaluated in their occupations everyday & how hard is it to answer the following question: How productive do you think you were tonight? Spectacular, above average, dismal, or not my finest hour?

Look, there goes the excuse train again...Chug-A-Chugga Woo! Woo!

No Brady and brees do not always discuss their performances in losses, nobody does. That's my point

My picks.

Head Coach - Bill Belichick

1st half  QB - Tom Brady

2nd half QB - Peyton Manning ( OC )

Extra time    - Eli Manning

Backup       - John Elway

I am sure Joe Montana should be here but i really haven't seen him play. So i am going with the above.

Head Coach - Vince Lombardi

1st half QB - Michael Vick

2nd half QB - Peyton Manning

Extra time - Johnny Unitas

Back up - Dan Marino

They were 7-9 that year and he only completed 52% of his passes.

But Vick ran for 1,000 as a QB and threw for 20 TDs....8 yards a carry running

In 2004,,he gained 900 and averaged 9 yards a carry...and he threw for 2300 yards and the Falcons were 12-6..

Michael Vick ..in his prime......dominated like few ever have...He was demoralizing...

...Don't confuse what he is now with what he was then

No Brady and brees do not always discuss their performances in losses, nobody does. That's my point

Brees has never lost a SB so to be fair to you in this example Jvan I probably shouldn't have included him. Tom Brady after a crushing SB loss displaying genuine ownership & leadership here. 

"I'd like to give the giants a lot of credit. They certainly made the plays when they needed to. It's a very good football team. They put a lot of pressure on us." -- Super Bowl XLVI Press Conference.

See how Brady owns the SB loss with the use of the 1st person "I" & he even breaks down the crucial Wes Welker drop too. Okay, to be fair, Peyton talked about the cadence issue on the Broncos o-line that led to the safety, but that play didn't define the game either & I blame HC John Fox for that noise issue mishap not Manning.

"I'd keep throwing the play to him forever. [WR Wes Welker] He's a phenomenal player & teammate you know I love that guy...It's a referee's call. You know [Justin] Tuck was coming after me & I was trying to get rid of it [the ball]...I think everybody was disappointed...& it certainly wasn't 1 reason why we lost today. You know everybody could have done more. I'll keep coming to this game. You know, I'd rather come to this game & lose than not get here." 

You see how QB Tom Brady owns his SB loss there Jvan? Look at the use of "I's" there. Some "we's" are included yes, but Brady dodges nothing & unlike Manning breaks down the essential play BTW. 

Listen to how direct Tom is, uses the word "I" a lot, "No excuses & it should have been a better throw" This is real leadership/ownership at the QB position Jvan...

http://youtu.be/2-fMswwx8oM

Vick was a trip when he was in his zone alright but in hindsight he was overrated. The Packers playoff upset doesn't hold up at all. People either hadn't noticed or didn't want to admit that Favre had lost a step and Mike Sherman sucked.

Favre almost completed 70% of his passes in 2010, threw for 33 TD's and only 7 ints while throwing for over 4000 yards, I really don't think he lost much of a step at all