Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Flowers signs with the Chargers

akcolt

Being paid for what he used to be, if he doesn't improve that's 5 million down the toilet.

$5m/year is a huge discount for a Pro Bowl corner. He's not being paid for what he used to be.

And the contract is actually $3m for one year, with incentives that push it to $5m. The incentives are based on snaps played and team success. That's a very fair deal, I think. Even if he struggles like he did last year, this isn't a bad contract. 

I think he's doing a great job, overall. He'll have about $25m in cap space next offseason, and he has no notable free agents coming up. 

I agree! I liked the Donald Brown addition too. Low milage, plays very much like Mathews should be able to step right in to spell him and help out on 3rd down. The defense had some suspect areas but they are improving....and a great coach they brought in when they got Mccoy. I definately think they leap frog KC in that division. They play the NFC west this year and a great way to combat all those pass rushers is with a strong rushing attack and letting Rivers hit Allen and those two big TEs on short quick passes. They seem to be doing things the right way there. Up and up!

I agree! I liked the Donald Brown addition too. Low milage, plays very much like Mathews should be able to step right in to spell him and help out on 3rd down. The defense had some suspect areas but they are improving....and a great coach they brought in when they got Mccoy. I definately think they leap frog KC in that division. They play the NFC west this year and a great way to combat all those pass rushers is with a strong rushing attack and letting Rivers hit Allen and those two big TEs on short quick passes. They seem to be doing things the right way there. Up and up!

I don't think the Donald Brown signing made sense when they already have Woodhead. I wonder who the third string guy will be because Woodhead made some good plays last year.

Tom Telesco making moves!

I think he's doing a great job, overall. He'll have about $25m in cap space next offseason, and he has no notable free agents coming up. 

His drafting last year was pretty solid and he's done a really good job with the team.  I'm happy for him

I don't think the Donald Brown signing made sense when they already have Woodhead. I wonder who the third string guy will be because Woodhead made some good plays last year.

Well seeing Matthews break down every year and the fact that they had NOTHING to offer running the ball against Denver when he went out it is evident that they need someone else to help carry the load. I'm sure Woodhead will get playing time but have you ever seen him actually run the ball? I don't have his numbers but it isn't pretty. Brown was a perfect compliment to that back field. He fits right in and can continue the same role he had here. Thats just one player...they have a lot of up and coming guys....their secondary is a little suspect but outside Seattle they really were the only team that could handle Peyton and that offense....everyone else exploited their defense in Denver.

We LOVE Telesco - he's proving to be a very sound manager, no drama (thank GOD after AJ Smith).  He quietly gets the job done and almost every move upgrades the position with the noteable exception of Derek Cox last season.  But even there he was quick to realize his mistake and move on.  Cox was just plain lost most of the season.  It's no secret our secondary has been our weakest spot for at least the last 4-5 years.  Not the least of our troubles is sound tackling and he's significantly upgraded us this year in the draft related to that.  Flowers is a very solid tackler.  

Flowers has been effective enough against us that we've hated going against him, I would rather have him playing for us :-)  Here's a very thorough article analyzing his play last season: http://www.boltsfromtheblue.com/2014/6/25/5839582/what-are-the-chargers-getting-in-brandon-flowers

The contract is very sound.  $3 guarantee with $2 to earn based on performance gives him a lot of incentive to work his behind off.

$5m/year is a huge discount for a Pro Bowl corner. He's not being paid for what he used to be.

And the contract is actually $3m for one year, with incentives that push it to $5m. The incentives are based on snaps played and team success. That's a very fair deal, I think. Even if he struggles like he did last year, this isn't a bad contract.

Doesnt matter if he used to be pro bowl quality, as of right now he isn't. He's like Alteraun Verner, a good CB as long as he isn't guarding really good receivers. When Flowers was rotated to always on the teams best receivers he played badly.

I'd have liked to have signed him because he'd be our second or third best CB, but in San Diego he'll be leaned on heavily and I don't think that bodes well.

I've mellowed on the Chargers sans Peyton and now that they have Telesco and like 10 former Colts, I'll hope he plays well.

Doesnt matter if he used to be pro bowl quality, as of right now he isn't. He's like Alteraun Verner, a good CB as long as he isn't guarding really good receivers. When Flowers was rotated to always on the teams best receivers he played badly.

I'd have liked to have signed him because he'd be our second or third best CB, but in San Diego he'll be leaned on haevily and I don't think that bodes well.

He's not being paid like a Pro Bowler, that's my point. Not even close. His contract is nothing compared to Alterraun Verner.

I believe they're both making the same amount actually.

They're not. Verner is making nearly $6.5m/year, on a four year deal, and will make over $8m in 2014, guaranteed. Flowers will make $3m guaranteed. I don't think the incentives are likely, as they require over 90% participation, and the Chargers have to make it to the AFCCG. But even with incentives, Flowers' deal is less than Verner's, and it's a one year prove-it deal.

I wasn't interested in Flowers, but I think his deal is very team-friendly.

I think this was a good signing for the Chargers. The price was a tad too much, but if he performs like his old self, it's definitely worth it. 

The Chargers are relatively thin at cornerback, so this at least adds some depth. He fits their scheme pretty well and they do play the Chiefs twice a year, for whatever that's worth. 

Flowers wasn't a good fit here  I think Matthews builds on last year I am eyeing him if he slips in my fantasy draft. He should get all the goal line action this year.

SD second best in West nothing to do with Flowers signing. Floyd should be back. They always give Denver problems. They have Brown and Kerwynn Williams in the backfield to bad it is so crowded I could see Williams doing well in that style of offense to many players to jump. Royal will handle returns so he won't sneak in that way.

Grabbing Lawrence Guy and Drake Nevis weren't shabby moves either. I know they weren't big names, but I liked both of those guys. Grigson shouldn't have let them go. 

We LOVE Telesco - he's proving to be a very sound manager, no drama (thank GOD after AJ Smith).  He quietly gets the job done and almost every move upgrades the position with the noteable exception of Derek Cox last season.  But even there he was quick to realize his mistake and move on.  Cox was just plain lost most of the season.  It's no secret our secondary has been our weakest spot for at least the last 4-5 years.  Not the least of our troubles is sound tackling and he's significantly upgraded us this year in the draft related to that.  Flowers is a very solid tackler.  

Flowers has been effective enough against us that we've hated going against him, I would rather have him playing for us :-)  Here's a very thorough article analyzing his play last season: http://www.boltsfromtheblue.com/2014/6/25/5839582/what-are-the-chargers-getting-in-brandon-flowers

The contract is very sound.  $3 guarantee with $2 to earn based on performance gives him a lot of incentive to work his behind off.

Very low risk move...with potential he returns to form. He may not be elite but he will be an upgrade in that secondary. Another big plus is he is staying in the division...he is accutely aware of every teams offenses and personel in this division so it should make the transition that much easier. Not to mention SD is a much nicer place to play in December than KC lol.

Telesco should have been our GM but Bill Polian had to insert Chris Polian and have that 2007-2011 dry spell in quality drafting.

Good for you guys. Your D-line gave Peyton's O-line fits. That has always been the key to success vs Peyton's teams, dominate his O-line to take advantage of his pass heavy tendencies. Chargers used to do that a lot vs Peyton. Chargers now have a good RB tandem to keep Peyton off the field or limit his possessions, now they have a D that can go toe-to-toe vs Peyton's O.

You just have to hope they don't play Flowers in a man-to-man scheme without safety help too much. He used to be good in the early Romeo Crennel days but now, he seems to be play better in zone situations and his numbers have dropped in man situations, mainly due to slot man coverage responsibilities. Having drafted Jason Verrett who is an outstanding zone CB and getting Flowers would mean that you guys will play more zone. But if you can get good pressure from your DL, you can get away with playing man with your CBs vs Peyton, which works better because he tends to pick apart zones better, IMO. Flowers is like DRC, the man coverage playing off his man, not like Talib who plays on his man. Flowers does not have foot speed to hang with a speed guy like Emmanuel Sanders and can be outmuscled by Demaryius Thomas. Ultimately, it is all about the San Diego pressure, not just secondary.

I bet John Pagano plays more 4-3 in his hybrid with guys like Liguet, Nevis, Freeney all in the line up, when they are healthy.

I wonder about their coverage schemes as well. John Pagano has been running a scheme very similar to Chuck's, but the Chargers do play more zone. Drafting Verrett and now signing Flowers seems to suggest that they're going to play more zone moving forward.

Another thing I like about him is his willingness, even eagerness to mentor the younger players we have just acquired.  Boy - what a difference it makes to see mature players give it their all, when young guys are watching and moldable.  Freeney has been amazing at that even from the sidelines.