Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts OTA Thread (Official Thread)

TKnight24

surely cant stay there wouldnt that be to much money for a nose tackle?

I don't think it's about how much money he gets, Vince Wilfork is a NT and gets a ton of money.

The question for me is putting him in the position were he is most effective.  

That said I think the coaches like to toy around with things a bit during OTA's to see what they have in a player.  My guess is that in week 1 he'll be starting at defensive end.  

That offensive line is rather intriguing

It will be interesting to see how it is during week 1.  I hardly think it's set.  Thomas has to come back from injury and Mewhort hasn't had much time to show what he can do.  

The only guy on the interior that I can really say is probably a lock is Holmes.  And that's only because his main competition is a UDFA. 

But even then there is always the chance that one of the guards could be moved to center if they are viewed as a better option.  

Has it been said who is primarily working at safety? I know Landry isn't there, but just curious.

Howell

Brown

And any other safety in attendance. I'm sure the coaches anticipated Landry not coming haha

He just doesn't do non-mandatory workouts

@CraigKColts: First team drills Luck hits Hilton on out route then misses deep to speedster.

@HolderStephen: TY Hilton was out last week with an undisclosed injury, but back today. Just made nice catch on deep route. #Colts

@CraigKColts: McAfee hits 43-yard PAT after Bradshaw TD sweep.

@HolderStephen: Don't think I mentioned this... Hakeem Nicks is not practicing today. He is present, however. #Colts

:colts:

One interesting thing I have noticed during OTA's is that Andrew Luck looks thinner. Maybe it was just the angles of the pics that I saw, but he doesn't look 240 anymore. Maybe 225 or 230? Anyone else notice this too?

I don't really see it. Are you comparing to gameday photos?

Toler Impressed By Moncrief

http://www.colts.com/news/article-1/Colts-OTA-Week-Two-Takeaways/210f1998-bf63-4dc9-bea9-ff4a70a247ac

Moncrief showed no ill effects of missing any OTA time as he made an impressive back shoulder reception, against blanketed coverage, on a fourth-down play near the goal line late in practice.

Veteran cornerback Greg Toler made sure to approach Moncrief on Wednesday and let the 20-year old know how difficult of a cover he was during OTA No. 6.

“He’s great showing his hands at the last minute,” Toler said of what he told Moncrief. “He’s great with his body position like these long passes he caught these last two days. He shows his hands to the DBs late because we are taught to play hands and eyes. He shields them off and just does a great job with his body.

“If he keeps working, I think he’ll be great.”

Toler Impressed By Moncrief

http://www.colts.com/news/article-1/Colts-OTA-Week-Two-Takeaways/210f1998-bf63-4dc9-bea9-ff4a70a247ac

Moncrief showed no ill effects of missing any OTA time as he made an impressive back shoulder reception, against blanketed coverage, on a fourth-down play near the goal line late in practice.

Veteran cornerback Greg Toler made sure to approach Moncrief on Wednesday and let the 20-year old know how difficult of a cover he was during OTA No. 6.

“He’s great showing his hands at the last minute,” Toler said of what he told Moncrief. “He’s great with his body position like these long passes he caught these last two days. He shows his hands to the DBs late because we are taught to play hands and eyes. He shields them off and just does a great job with his body.

“If he keeps working, I think he’ll be great.”

I think Donte will be a steal in the 3rd round, and it looks like Toler agrees!

I thought this was funny since the pictures were so close to each other.

Look at AC, perfect form... engaged with the defender, playing flat-footed, good knee bend, back straight, nice wide base, etc.

temp2014_0527_OTA_1297--nfl_mezz_1280_10

Now this one ( I can't tell who it is)

temp2014_0527_OTA_1366--nfl_mezz_1280_10

Engaged with the defender both feet off the ground, has frog knees, bending at the waist.

Now, I'm not saying AC is great and this other guy is terrible; it's just rare that you get two perfect examples (1 of what TO do and 1 of what NOT to do) so close together

Look at AC, perfect form... engaged with the defender, playing flat-footed, good knee bend, back straight, nice wide base, etc.

Engaged with the defender both feet off the ground, has frog knees, bending at the waist.

Now, I'm not saying AC is great and this other guy is terrible; it's just rare that you get two perfect examples (1 of what TO do and 1 of what NOT to do) so close together

I assume that's Gosder Cherilus. It looks like the first string line, Thorton at RG and what looks like Castonzo's leg in far left of the picture.

The second guy is Gosder Cherilus, who played like one of the best tackles in the NFL last year. 

I listened to Donte Moncrief give his lockroom interviews and for a 20 year old kid he sounds pretty darn good/professional. Dare I say... he is better at the interviews than Luck was his rookie year.

HE IS ONLY 20!!!

I listened to Donte Moncrief give his lockroom interviews and for a 20 year old kid he sounds pretty darn good/professional. Dare I say... he is better at the interviews than Luck was his rookie year.

HE IS ONLY 20!!!

I really liked that video also. Sounds like a good dude who is ready to do whatever it takes to win. Already buried in the playbook learning ALL the wr's plays and positions

The unusual thing about our group is......

Odds are, that unless our WR's/TE's/RB's get hurt,  we have so many good ones,  that most or all of them are going to suffer as far as their receiving numbers are concerned.

There are only going to be so many competitions to go around....    So, unless Reggie is not healthy, or gets hurt again, or another top WR is hurt,   look for guys like Moncrief and Rogers to only catch about 15-25 passes each.   That's about it.    Guys like Reggie, TY, Hicks,  the two TE's and the group of RB's are going to eat up receptions.

We have lots and lots and lots of weapons,  but only one football.  

Figuring the math isn't that hard.  

If Luck is throwing the ball roughly 36 times a game,  even with a 66% completion percentage that's 24 catches.     I'm guessing 12-14 catches for Reggie, TY and Hicks.  1-2 for the other WR's.   6-7 for the tight ends.  3-4 for the RB's.     There's your 24 receptions.    There's just not enough receptions to go around.    So, guys like TY might actually have lesser numbers this year than last,  but that doesn't mean he'll have had a worse year, if you follow my drift....

HE IS ONLY 20!!!

That is good news when we drafted him I was shocked to find out he was only twenty at the time. everything I read points to Moncrief being a big pick up at that spot. I'm excited to see what that young man can do.

I assume that's Gosder Cherilus. It looks like the first string line, Thorton at RG and what looks like Castonzo's leg in far left of the picture.

I assumed it was Gosder as well but I had not even heard if he was participating in OTAs or not.  And yes, it looks like the first string line.  I just didn't want to speculate.

The second guy is Gosder Cherilus, who played like one of the best tackles in the NFL last year. 

I know who Gosder is, not sure how the second part of your sentence is relevant to the topic though.

HE IS ONLY 20!!!

I didn't know much about Moncrief before the Colts drafted him but everything I've read and listened to since is very positive.  He seems to be a young man with his head on straight and knows what he wants to accomplish and is willing to put in the work to accomplish it.