Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Broncos sign Miller for 2015

oldunclemark

injury?.....weed?  ..a good price....but a bit of a gamble?

Broncos pick up fifth-year option on Von Miller

The Broncos will keep linebacker Von Miller under control through 2015 season. (AAron Ontiveroz, The Denver Post)

http://blogs.denverpost.com/broncos/2014/05/01/broncos-pick-fifth-year-option-von-miller/27257/

Edited by Nadine
excessive copy past, just include a link and a short excerpt please

Oh come on now, any other time the Donkeys are being defended for making stupid moves like this, cause ya know, John Elway is the GOAT when it comes to management.

Their defense is a joke and they know it. I don't care what star power they add, you all know John Fox is one of the most overrated coaches ever. They are just gearing up for going through the redux that he put the Panthers through. There's no way this team is repeating their success next year now that they won't be playing cupcake teams all year around.

Oh come on now, any other time the Donkeys are being defended for making stupid moves like this, cause ya know, John Elway is the GOAT when it comes to management.

Their defense is a joke and they know it. I don't care what star power they add, you all know John Fox is one of the most overrated coaches ever. They are just gearing up for going through the redux that he put the Panthers through. There's no way this team is repeating their success next year now that they won't be playing cupcake teams all year around.

Bogie...13-3 in 2012.............13-3 in 2013....overrated?  really?

But Supe..Fox made the playoffs with Tim Tebow...I mean..come on

They were 8-8 and just got in because of several lucky bounces going Tebow's way.  I attribute many of the winning records and team accolades to Peyton, just like when he was in Indy.

They were 8-8 and just got in because of several lucky bounces going Tebow's way.  I attribute many of the winning records and team accolades to Peyton, just like when he was in Indy.

But Fox predates Manning in Denver..

Lucky.bounces..they won a playoff game..with Tebow,,and with Manning they won,......,down 5 defensive starters...

Credit Peyton..sure...but the 'Fox is overrated' thing is a prejudice that defies logic

You cant credit success to the players and failures to the coach....or to luck or bounces..

..and it seems all Fox' coaching success is discounted no matter what team he's with or who the QB is...

..and the answer is always 'that's how I feel' 

Overrated by what scale?  Nobdoy rates him highly so how can he be overrated??

That's not logical

Lucky.bounces..they won a playoff game..with Tebow,,and with Manning they won,......,down 5 defensive starters...

Credit Peyton..sure...but the 'Fox is overrated' thing is a prejudice that defies logic

You cant credit success to the players and failures to the coach....or to luck or bounces..

..and it seems all Fox' coaching success is discounted no matter what team he's with or who the QB is...

That's not logical

Did you watch the Super Bowl?

One, it shouldn't take a gut wrenching Ravens playoff loss in 2012 for Fox to realize he can finish the game in the hands of his O and QB to seal the deal. So, he applied those lessons to the Chargers and Patriots games in 2013 playoffs and the O iced the deal in both those games. Plus, the hallmark of a good coach is getting his team to recover quickly and decisively after a punch to the gut Flacco hail mary. Fox just chose to take a knee with 2 timeouts and go into OT. Playing possum never worked for any coach and coaches like Sean Payton, Mike McCarthy, Belichick, and Parcells would never have done that.

Then comes the SB where his team looked terribly underprepared for crowd noise. No adjustments or rallying his team whatsoever. Peyton and the O and everyone else included had no answers for what the Seahawks gave them. Giants' game in game 2, NASCAR package, the O chooses to sit Wes Welker and play him just in a cameo role and have 2 TEs to run block well and run it down the throat of the NASCAR package with Moreno having great results. Same NASCAR package rolled out by Seahawks in SB, they keep Wes Welker in with disastrous results. I noticed it, what the heck were Adam Gase and Peyton doing? That is where a coach steps in and provides in-game adjustments telling Gase and Peyton what they are doing does not work. At some point Fox has to realize Peyton is not this godly QB who can make every adjustment in the line of fire and that he has to bring something to the table as a different set of eyes.

But no, Fox won't make the adjustment till a year later, haha, that is John Fox for you. When Fox and JDR get their D to play with a 10-20 point lead like the score is tied, that mentality will translate to better results when the score IS actually tied. It is not like they are working with a whole bunch of vets like the early Patriots days where you can flip a switch from bend-but-don't-break mindset to become-ballhawks-and-blitzers-to-get-the-ball-back. It just does not work that way.

Coaching and resilient character, are two areas the Broncos are flawed and no amount of personnel is going to change that in the playoffs, IMO

To Nadine...just a note..

I do not know how to post a link...I am old..

I post entire articles because I want the other members to see things

injury?.....weed?  ..a good price....but a bit of a gamble?

Broncos pick up fifth-year option on Von Miller

The Broncos will keep linebacker Von Miller under control through 2015 season. (AAron Ontiveroz, The Denver Post)

http://blogs.denverpost.com/broncos/2014/05/01/broncos-pick-fifth-year-option-von-miller/27257/

Nadine...

I cant post a link...If you don't want me to post articles, even with the attribution (writer and source) I wont.

But I couldn't post a link if my life depended on it...

any help would be welcome here

Did you watch the Super Bowl?

am..

a guys entire career is judged by the Super Bowl which he's coached his team to?

You blame John Fox for the 43-8 loss to Seattle. Really?

..and he gets no credit for a playoff win with a non-player at QB...or making the Super Bowl with 5 defensive starters out.

I don't know what John Fox did in his past that negates all his coaching success,,,

One, it shouldn't take a gut wrenching Ravens playoff loss in 2012 for Fox to realize he can finish the game in the hands of his O and QB to seal the deal. So, he applied those lessons to the Chargers and Patriots games in 2013 playoffs and the O iced the deal in both those games. Plus, the hallmark of a good coach is getting his team to recover quickly and decisively after a punch to the gut Flacco hail mary. Fox just chose to take a knee with 2 timeouts and go into OT. Playing possum never worked for any coach and coaches like Sean Payton, Mike McCarthy, Belichick, and Parcells would never have done that.

Then comes the SB where his team looked terribly underprepared for crowd noise. No adjustments or rallying his team whatsoever. Peyton and the O and everyone else included had no answers for what the Seahawks gave them. Giants' game in game 2, NASCAR package, the O chooses to sit Wes Welker and play him just in a cameo role and have 2 TEs to run block well and run it down the throat of the NASCAR package with Moreno having great results. Same NASCAR package rolled out by Seahawks in SB, they keep Wes Welker in with disastrous results. I noticed it, what the heck were Adam Gase and Peyton doing? That is where a coach steps in and provides in-game adjustments telling Gase and Peyton what they are doing does not work. At some point Fox has to realize Peyton is not this godly QB who can make every adjustment in the line of fire and that he has to bring something to the table as a different set of eyes.

But no, Fox won't make the adjustment till a year later, haha, that is John Fox for you. When Fox and JDR get their D to play with a 10-20 point lead like the score is tied, that mentality will translate to better results when the score IS actually tied. It is not like they are working with a whole bunch of vets like the early Patriots days where you can flip a switch from bend-but-don't-break mindset to become-ballhawks-and-blitzers-to-get-the-ball-back. It just does not work that way.

Coaching and resilient character, are two areas the Broncos are flawed and no amount of personnel is going to change that in the playoffs, IMO

so chad...the back to back 13-3 are achieved despite all the failings you list..

You expected Fox to tell Manning that what they had done to a 28-7 level in 2 years wasnt working...to bully them into changes that wuld have changed the game.

The Broncos who defeated SD and NE....lack character and coaching and are fatally flawed I your opinion...and it just came to light against the No.1 defense.?

Really?..

I'm not saying Fox is great or anything, but Manning sure does get a whole lot of credit when they win and a lot less blame when they lose.

That's what I;m saying Quiz.....If you must blame anyone for an 8th loss in 36 games..

..If you must blame the losers for faling to the No,.1 'D'

..they why is success the product of one..and defeat...solely the problem of another..when both shared both.

I'm sensing some deep seated dislike of John Fox for reasons I am just not aware of

That's what I;m saying Quiz.....If you must blame anyone for an 8th loss in 36 games..

..If you must blame the losers for faling to the No,.1 'D'

..they why is success the product of one..and defeat...solely the problem of another..when both shared both.

I'm sensing some deep seated dislike of John Fox for reasons I am just not aware of

Yep. I think it is because some look back at the Colts years and think that what is happening now with the Broncos is the exact same thing, but it isn't. I think Fox and Manning both deserve some credit for what they've accomplished so far. Like you said, Fox made playoffs and won a game with Tebow as the quarterback, which is a feat in and of itself.

That's not logical

So Jim Caldwell was a good coach for going 14-2?  What about when he went 2-14?

Yes I watched the Super Bowl and also watched them beat the Patriots.  haha  Anymore questions  :???:

Fox didn't have the team ready for the Super Bowl.  A lot of that loss should be blamed on the coaching staff.  When you don't prepare for everything, you could lose because of anything.  Fox didn't have them prepare for a loud crowd and the coaches didn't make many adjustments, so the team wasn't able to score a point until the second half.

am..

a guys entire career is judged by the Super Bowl which he's coached his team to?

You blame John Fox for the 43-8 loss to Seattle. Really?

..and he gets no credit for a playoff win with a non-player at QB...or making the Super Bowl with 5 defensive starters out.

I don't know what John Fox did in his past that negates all his coaching success,,,

Previous to his coaching Denver, I thought Fox was average. He ruined Carolina and began his stint in Denver with a 1-4 record and then Tebow came in. I though he did a great job that year with Tebow. Perhaps his finest coaching of his career. But these last two seasons with Manning have been head scratching. He had some terrible decisions in the Ravens playoff loss - taking the knee in the fourth, not changing up the secondary when Bailey was getting torched, etc. Then the Super Bowl. Perhaps the worst coached Super Bowl in history. He did not prepare for the crowd noise which to me is unforgivable and the his team looked like they had not done a thing to prepare for two weeks and no adjustments in game to even keep it competitive. If you want to give him the credit for Denver's wins the last two seasons and not credit it to Manning then you have to absolutely roast him for that performance. Seattle was not THAT much better then Denver. It was a blunder of mistakes all game. That falls on Fox.

so chad...the back to back 13-3 are achieved despite all the failings you list..

You expected Fox to tell Manning that what they had done to a 28-7 level in 2 years wasnt working...to bully them into changes that wuld have changed the game.

The Broncos who defeated SD and NE....lack character and coaching and are fatally flawed I your opinion...and it just came to light against the No.1 defense.?

Really?..

Yes, when your opponent is dominating you at certain levels, yes, you have to be willing to adapt and tell Peyton what he is doing is not working. I don't see anything wrong with that. Peyton is not untouchable, nor is he uncoachable.

We have seen it before. When you can play teams like the Jags, Titans, Texans, Raiders etc., you can afford to coast based on superior talent on your team. But when your talent is met 1-to-1 with a team just as good or better, that is when coaching matters and that is where Fox has not brought anything extra to the table.

The base level talent on the Broncos is good enough to beat most teams but you play equals in the playoffs. So, we can't get carried away with the 13-3 records, IMO. If they get 13 or 14 wins with the NFC West schedule this year, then I will give Fox more credit.

Heck, road games at Falcons and Patriots in 2012, road games at Colts and Patriots in 2013, it seems like every time they run into a playoff caliber team on the road, they just don't get that signature win, just my observation.

Top 3 pass rusher in the league...you better pay him

Agreed. They likely franchise tag him after his 5th year option too just to give themselves more time to prove he has matured. I have a hard time giving long term money to the man with his history...but no problem paying him for a year or two more at a premium.

Previous to his coaching Denver, I thought Fox was average. He ruined Carolina and began his stint in Denver with a 1-4 record and then Tebow came in. I though he did a great job that year with Tebow. Perhaps his finest coaching of his career. But these last two seasons with Manning have been head scratching. He had some terrible decisions in the Ravens playoff loss - taking the knee in the fourth, not changing up the secondary when Bailey was getting torched, etc. Then the Super Bowl. Perhaps the worst coached Super Bowl in history. He did not prepare for the crowd noise which to me is unforgivable and the his team looked like they had not done a thing to prepare for two weeks and no adjustments in game to even keep it competitive. If you want to give him the credit for Denver's wins the last two seasons and not credit it to Manning then you have to absolutely roast him for that performance. Seattle was not THAT much better then Denver. It was a blunder of mistakes all game. That falls on Fox.

Here's the stuff I don't get..

Fox had his team ready for 18 games but not for the 19th..maybe they just didn't play.  Its the players 1st 18 games and Fox's 19th.

That's not logic. folks

Fox ruined Carolina...?  Really

Listen to yourselves... Coaching records..including Jim Caldwell's speak for themselves..

You are what your record says you are....................

Fox put the structure in place in Denver and eased Manning in and both won what they won and lost what they lost.

There's no shame in losing to a powerful team...and it doesn't define a coach..if that name is Belichik or Harbaugh 

But it does if its Fox......I dont get it guys

Agreed. They likely franchise tag him after his 5th year option too just to give themselves more time to prove he has matured. I have a hard time giving long term money to the man with his history...but no problem paying him for a year or two more at a premium.

Short term its a vote of confidence..

I want to see Von with Ware..could be a dominant duo.

I just want him to stay off the weed

To Nadine...just a note..

I do not know how to post a link...I am old..

I post entire articles because I want the other members to see things

Nadine...

I cant post a link...If you don't want me to post articles, even with the attribution (writer and source) I wont.

But I couldn't post a link if my life depended on it...

any help would be welcome here

If you can copy and paste an entire article you can copy and paste a link.  It's the same process, you are just copying something else

To copy a link to a page: Copy the url for the page you are on (it shows at the top of the page you are on).  It's the web address for the page you are on

then, paste that here and it becomes a link to that page

Here's the stuff I don't get..

Fox had his team ready for 18 games but not for the 19th..maybe they just didn't play.  Its the players 1st 18 games and Fox's 19th.

That's not logic. folks

Fox ruined Carolina...?  Really

Listen to yourselves... Coaching records..including Jim Caldwell's speak for themselves..

You are what your record says you are....................

Fox put the structure in place in Denver and eased Manning in and both won what they won and lost what they lost.

There's no shame in losing to a powerful team...and it doesn't define a coach..if that name is Belichik or Harbaugh 

But it does if its Fox......I dont get it guys

Denver was .500 against teams .500 or above last season and even worse the season before. When the competition is good it comes down to coaching and that is where Fox lacks.

That is not illogical. That is his record.

If you can copy and paste an entire article you can copy and paste a link.  It's the same process, you are just copying something else

To copy a link to a page: Copy the url for the page you are on (it shows at the top of the page you are on).  It's the web address for the page you are on

the url?

OUM - Just answer this.

How can a coach not be prepared for sound noise for the biggest game of his career?.

Wasn't it the players who lost...though?

Do you think Fox prepared his players differently for the 19th game than he did for the first 18?

That's just not logical, Shane.......I know you see that.

You blame the noise and the first play fumble on John Fox?  Really?

Denver was .500 against teams .500 or above last season and even worse the season before. When the competition is good it comes down to coaching and that is where Fox lacks.

That is not illogical. That is his record.

Denver was undefeated against teams .500 or below......they lost to NE, Seattle, SD and Indy....all playoff teams..3 on the road

5-1 in their division when you see everyone multiple times..and coaches surely come into play////6-0 in 2012

Seeing SD for the 3rd time,.they dominated them..most of the game and won....

When the competition is good..it comes down to players..When the competition is bad it comes down to players.

Its not logical to give the coach no credit for winning 80% of his game because he lost in the playoffs..Same coach. Same prep.

I dont get the John Fox criticism...It just doesn't hold up when you look at his record

Denver was undefeated against teams .500 or below......they lost to NE, Seattle, SD and Indy....all playoff teams..3 on the road

5-1 in their division when you see everyone multiple times..and coaches surely come into play////6-0 in 2012

Seeing SD for the 3rd time,.they dominated them..most of the game and won....

When the competition is good..it comes down to players..When the competition is bad it comes down to players.

Its not logical to give the coach no credit for winning 80% of his game because he lost in the playoffs..Same coach. Same prep.

I dont get the John Fox criticism...It just doesn't hold up when you look at his record

I guess we will agree to disagree. When teams are matched evenly coaching becomes critical. Players can only play but coaches can put them in position to win.

And division games are the true judge of coaching (just like NBA and NHL playoff series) because you see the same players and the same plays. again and again and ypu have to figure out alternate ways to win...Coaches do that...

We don't agree, its true. You know I'm a big Peyton Manning guy...and I loved that offense they had last year.

But that same offense didn't play well in the Super Bowl...and I'm a big personal responsibility guy.

They played....its all on them (and the Seattle defense)

And division games are the true judge of coaching (just like NBA and NHL playoff series) because you see the same players and the same plays. again and again and ypu have to figure out alternate ways to win...Coaches do that...

We don't agree, its true. You know I'm a big Peyton Manning guy...and I loved that offense they had last year.

But that same offense didn't play well in the Super Bowl...and I'm a big personal responsibility guy.

They played....its all on them (and the Seattle defense)

Yeah, I think Manning gives you 10 games just on his talent alone. And beating up Oakland and SD and KC who was terrible last year is not that impressive. Fox was expected to win rings with Manning and coaching played huge roles in both the post-season losses to the Ravens and then in the SB IMO.

I have thought for awhile now that Fox is kind of hamstrung in Denver because of Manning. He has no control of the offense and he is a conservative coach who likes to run in the vein of Mike Shanahan. I think it is one of the reasons he did so well with Tebow. He set up the run game which was supported by good defense. That is how he likes to play football. This air it out and throw for 50+ TDs is not his  philosophy at all which is why I question if he is the guy to get Manning his second ring.

Wasn't it the players who lost...though?

Do you think Fox prepared his players differently for the 19th game than he did for the first 18?

That's just not logical, Shane.......I know you see that.

You blame the noise and the first play fumble on John Fox? Really?

If it's all players, why do we need a coach?.

We have discussed this earlier and you are not getting my point.

John Fox is the Leader of the team. Team looks up to him. He needs to exude confidence which he doesn't. When your leader looks clueless and yet you have to follow him during the game. Do you know how horrible that is?.

Now coming to the noise, yes the lack and preparation and the first play set the tone for the game. And as a leader what was Fox doing during the game. Didn't see him try do anything to raise the morale. That is his job. He is paid for that.

the url?

haha  I'm not laughing at you.  I am laughing with you because it wasn't that long ago that I didn't know what a URL was either.

URL stands for Uniform Resource Locator (I know . . . those are some big words if you're lost).  As Nadine said, it is basically the web address for the page.

If you look at the top of this page, you will find the URL which is:

http://forums.colts.com/topic/28358-broncos-sign-miller-for-2015/

All you have to do then is to copy and paste the URL as I just did and it will appear as a link.  In this case, my link will just take you back to this thread.

Hope this helps.