Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Dustin's Mock Draft 4.0

Round 2 pick 59 - Trent Murphy, OLB, Stanford

Murphy enter the NFL with good length (6'5" with 33 7/8" arms and hands that measured in at 11 1/8") with a frame to add more weight. He's an instinctive player who uses his hands well. What he lacks in straight line speed he makes up for in elite lateral agility (6.78 on the cones). He has natural explosion off of the ball and has a ton of experience playing from a 2-point stance. He has a fantastic motor and is a leader on the defense. Has a repertoire of pass rush moves. Ideally we'd grab a player like Attaochu or Marcus Smith here, but I think they will both be gone. 

Pro comparison: A better verion of Connor Barwin.

Round 3 pick 90 - Brock Vereen, S, Minnesota

A reach here? Maybe, but the need is there for a S and Vereen is a good fit for our unoccupied strong safety spot. Vereen is a former CB so he has a ton of experience lining up against slot receivers like he would do at our SS position. He's an athletic player who absoultely blew up at the combine (4.47 forty, 25 bench reps, 6.90 on the cones, 4.07 on the shuttle, 117" broad jump, and a 34" vertical). Vereen has good instincts ans good size (6'1" 200 lbs). He has some fundamental issues to work on, but he has all of the ability to be a good SS in our defense.

Pro Comparison: Devin McCourty.

Round 5 pick 166 - Yawin Smallwood, LB, UCONN

Oh how the might have fallen. One projected as a day 2 choice, Smallwood ran a bad 40 and plummeted down the rankings. Regardless, the tape on him still shows that of a solid LB that will be a steal in the later rounds. Smallwood posses good dropping ability in coverage and ability to get around the edge when pass rushing. He'll get knocked for his ability (err in ability) to shed blocks consistently which might regulate him to nickel LB until he can get his strength up. Despite his lackluster 40 time, Smallwood still posses good straight line speed on tape. 

Pro Comparison: D'Qwell Jackson

Round 6 pick 203 - Storm Johnson, RB, UCF

Underrated RB. Not great at anything, but solid at a bunch of things. We still have a bunch of question marks at RB.

Pro-comparison: Slower Bryce Brown

dont we have a 7th round pick?

We do. 

Yeha but I couldn't find anybody who could realistically make the roster as a 7th rounder so I just skipped it. 

John Urschel, Alden Darby, Russell Bodine, Daniel Sorensen, Brandon Thomas, Jonathan Newsome... They're all long shots, but it's interesting that you'd just leave off from mocking it, when you've mocked it before. And we usually have a UDFA or two that makes the final 53, or a late pick who gets called up from the practice squad eventually. Not a big deal, just saying...

As for your mock, I get the feeling you're not really in love with it...? Murphy is an interesting pick, but seems like a resignation, not someone you'd be excited about at #59. He has athleticism and plays with determination, but I think he's a liability in coverage, so he has to play Rush backer. Can set the edge. Kind of feels like Werner again. Vereen is a meh pick at #90. I don't know how your board looks exactly, but either you think Bailey is moving up or you just wanted new players. I'd much rather have Bailey there. Smallwood in the 5th is a good one for us; I feel the same about him as you do. Storm Johnson... again, don't know how your board is falling, but I'd rather have James White if you're taking a pro-style back there. And if you want a scatback who can return kicks, De'Anthony Thomas or maybe Senorise Perry would be more electric options.

I like Storm Johnson but not enough to draft him, He dont have alot of breakaway speed, Not a very good pass protector and fumbles to much...8 fumbles from 2012-2013...to much......Not a Scat Back

Murphy is alright but I would not spend a 2nd rounder on him-Better prospect then Chase Thomas by quite a bit coming out, Has a good first step, Is tight hipped in the open field, Would be a liability in coverage

Yawin Smallwood-I been wondering if this dude hits with any bad attentions whatsoever, Struggles to shed blocks and is an inconsistent tackler....especially in space...Though has good lateral agility....I'd be alright with him in the 5th in hopes that Pagano and Manusky can pull out a mean streak but I am willing to roll the dice on a better player being available...But he has some upside if a mean streak can be brought of him and he gets stronger and more violent with his hands

We do. 

John Urschel, Alden Darby, Russell Bodine, Daniel Sorensen, Brandon Thomas, Jonathan Newsome... They're all long shots, but it's interesting that you'd just leave off from mocking it, when you've mocked it before. And we usually have a UDFA or two that makes the final 53, or a late pick who gets called up from the practice squad eventually. Not a big deal, just saying...

As for your mock, I get the feeling you're not really in love with it...? Murphy is an interesting pick, but seems like a resignation, not someone you'd be excited about at #59. He has athleticism and plays with determination, but I think he's a liability in coverage, so he has to play Rush backer. Can set the edge. Kind of feels like Werner again. Vereen is a meh pick at #90. I don't know how your board looks exactly, but either you think Bailey is moving up or you just wanted new players. I'd much rather have Bailey there. Smallwood in the 5th is a good one for us; I feel the same about him as you do. Storm Johnson... again, don't know how your board is falling, but I'd rather have James White if you're taking a pro-style back there. And if you want a scatback who can return kicks, De'Anthony Thomas or maybe Senorise Perry would be more electric options.

I tried to make it as realistic as possible based off of what Grigs and Pagano like and who've they met with so far vs what I hope happens.  

Murphy fits that mold that Pagano likes in a LB (Kruger, Walden, Suggs) in which they have more of a DE skillset and he fits what Grigs like in a high-character, leader type who has a bad combine. I was going to slot Chrichton into that spot, but I don't think he was going to available at that spot. 

I would really be "ecstatic" about if it fell this way, but i feel with the tendencies over the past 2 years, the board would fall something like this. 

I tried to make it as realistic as possible based off of what Grigs and Pagano like and who've they met with so far vs what I hope happens.  

Murphy fits that mold that Pagano likes in a LB (Kruger, Walden, Suggs) in which they have more of a DE skillset and he fits what Grigs like in a high-character, leader type who has a bad combine. I was going to slot Chrichton into that spot, but I don't think he was going to available at that spot. 

I would really be "ecstatic" about if it fell this way, but i feel with the tendencies over the past 2 years, the board would fall something like this. 

Ah, makes sense. I need to do more homework on Vereen and Murphy. Just wasn't really excited about anything I saw in the little bit of video I've seen of them.

Ah, makes sense. I need to do more homework on Vereen and Murphy. Just wasn't really excited about anything I saw in the little bit of video I've seen of them.

Btw I meant Werner not Walden. Don't know why I typed that.

Vereen in the 3rd? I like him too think he could be a sneaky pick but in the 3rd that is a reach for perceived need to me. Rather go Howell but I like Howell. 

NO CB or OL in the  draft?

Running back I would watch out for is West from Towson St. could go anywhere.

I like your approach of going off of what you think will happen and not what you want. I need to watch tape on Vereen but everything I've read says he solid. Murphy is meh for me. Not explosive, but he's got a tremendous work ethic and goes hard every play, like the opposite of Jadavian Clowney.

Smallwood is fine in the 5th but I usually have Preston Brown in my mocks because we've shown interest in him and he's likely to be there.

I'm sorry, but this mock is just terrible. I've soured on Murphy recently upon further analysis. He's a tough football player, but he plainly doesn't have enough pass rushing skills or awareness. He's like a Bjoern Werner who's less athletic, slower, and doesn't have nearly as much potential. And Vereen is just a huge reach that would be a horrible idea in such a great draft such as this.

I'm sorry, but this mock is just terrible. I've soured on Murphy recently upon further analysis. He's a tough football player, but he plainly doesn't have enough pass rushing skills or awareness. He's like a Bjoern Werner who's less athletic, slower, and doesn't have nearly as much potential. And Vereen is just a huge reach that would be a horrible idea in such a great draft such as this.

Murphy doesn't have awareness? Lol

We do. 

I think Bodine will be gone by the end of the 4th round.   Certainly no later than the 5th...   might go as early as the 3rd.

I also think Urschel goes before the 7th....    I see a 5th or 6th round grade....     the others you listed are probably 7's....   at least, that's what I'm reading....

I'm still holding out hope Bashaud Breeland is available at #59(been my guy from jumpstreet), and Brock Vereen later(hard to gauge where he will go)

Those are the two DBs I want the most out of this draft(not counting the first round picks obviously)

Dustin....   several thoughts......

I'm likely moving Murphy to the 3rd round on my board....  as much as I love him, I suspect/fear that he's viewed as a Tweener.....   not fast or athletic enough to be a high level OLB,  not big enough to be a 4-3 DE.     So, if Smith is there at 59, I'd be fine with taking him over Murphy.   And I love Murphy.

Also, if it interests you I can share that after missing the Senior Bowl,  the Combine and the Stanford Pro Day all due to health related issues,   Shayne Skov finally had his Pro Day.    And it went........................   very poorly.    Ran 5.1   Didn't tell well at all.   So, where I once had a 4th round grade for him, I think he now slides to the 5th round....   maybe the 6th.    Would you prefer Skov to Smallwood in the 5th round?      Just some food for thought on that position....

Finally.....   since you called this version your 4.0 version....   I think you need to change/update your signature sign-off....

This.....    needs to change to your latest 4.0 version....

Mock Draft (Last updated 4/14/2014)

2- Marcus Smith (OLB, Louisville), 3- Dion Bailey (S, USC), 5- Aaron Lynch (DE, USF), 6 - Henry Josey (RB, Missouri), 7- Aaron Colvin (CB, Oklahoma)

Dustin....   several thoughts......

I'm likely moving Murphy to the 3rd round on my board....  as much as I love him, I suspect/fear that he's viewed as a Tweener.....   not fast or athletic enough to be a high level OLB,  not big enough to be a 4-3 DE.     So, if Smith is there at 59, I'd be fine with taking him over Murphy.   And I love Murphy.

Also, if it interests you I can share that after missing the Senior Bowl,  the Combine and the Stanford Pro Day all due to health related issues,   Shayne Skov finally had his Pro Day.    And it went........................   very poorly.    Ran 5.1   Didn't tell well at all.   So, where I once had a 4th round grade for him, I think he now slides to the 5th round....   maybe the 6th.    Would you prefer Skov to Smallwood in the 5th round?      Just some food for thought on that position....

Finally.....   since you called this version your 4.0 version....   I think you need to change/update your signature sign-off....

This.....    needs to change to your latest 4.0 version....

Mock Draft (Last updated 4/14/2014)

2- Marcus Smith (OLB, Louisville), 3- Dion Bailey (S, USC), 5- Aaron Lynch (DE, USF), 6 - Henry Josey (RB, Missouri), 7- Aaron Colvin (CB, Oklahoma)

Wow hadn't heard that about Skov.  I would be ecstatic if we could grab him in the 5th and I would take him over Smallwood without hesitation.

Like I said I would, I watched tape on Vereen and I was not impressed. This guy cannot tackle or help in the run game whatsoever and his coverage skills aren't anything special. I watched more tape on Jimmie Ward and he was exactly the opposite. I was against it before but the Colts should look at trading up to get Ward or hope Bucannon falls to them. I'd take Joyner too. But yeah I'm against getting Vereen in the 3rd, he's not even close to being ready to start and contribute.

Murphy is ok but i wouldn't take him in the 2nd i think we can do a lot better. He's more of a 4-3 DE then OLB. This is who i would draft.

2. Carl Bradford, OLB

3. Pierre Desir, CB

5. Kenny Ladler, S

6. Michael Schofield, OT

7. Henry Hosey, RB/KR 

Murphy isn't big or strong enough to play 43 DE from what I have seen....At best I think he is a rotational 3-4 rush linebacker or a 43 weak side OLB