Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Safe to Say, We're Done in Free Agency

Defjamz26

http://www.indystar.com/story/sports/nfl/colts/2014/03/21/colts-likely-looking-draft-current-players-fill-remaining-gaps/6710375/

Like people have said, we're rolling with Costa and Holmes at Center. And for FS it looks like we will either roll with Howell or draft one early. This should put the Mack and De La Puente talks to rest. I also don't get the sense they'll draft WR, DT, or LB early. Probably best to look at OLB, Safety, and CB as early round picks.

I mean it's not like Holmes and Howell are locks.

If we draft a few good players at C or S that start to impress then they will get their shot!!

Also both Holmes and Howell were injured last year so were gonna need others to step in at some point anyway! Let's hope the Colts can stay healthy this year....

Don't we have a lot of money left? I thought people were saying that in other threads, are we choosing just not to use it and if so what are the advantages of that?

They could buy a whole heck of a lot of Taco Bell with all that spare $. I would imagine that's why they're saving it.

I agree but I think our draft board goes  safety 2  corner 3rd   og 5th olb in 6th or 7th

I think the positions you can completely factor out are: RB (at least early), WR, TE, Center, and O-Line. IDK if they would look at FS early. There's a big drop off in the talent once you get past Pryor and Dix. I think CB is a certainty in either round 2 or 3.

I 100% disagree.  I do not think it is safe to say we are done at all.  For the most part, the first few days of free agency are a frenzy, then it becomes relatively quiet across the league.  As we move forward you will see more of the older vets sign some deals with teams.  We have 18 million dollars left and this management believes we can win now.  It would be shocked if there isnt at least one more significant signing.  I could see a veteran pass rusher, a move for a starting center or guard, and secondary help.   

I don't get why Grigson doesn't want to take a chance on some 1 year deals. Cromartie and Spencer could have really helped the defense, and a 1 year deal wont hurt the cap situation in the future. I do expect a couple more signings though. Probably mid tier or depth guys.

I don't get why Grigson doesn't want to take a chance on some 1 year deals. Cromartie and Spencer could have really helped the defense, and a 1 year deal wont hurt the cap situation in the future. I do expect a couple more signings though. Probably mid tier or depth guys.

Hello both sides of the fence. Which is it?

I really don't understand why either.  It's pretty much dead money.  We will have that cap space back after next year.   I get the concept of saving money for our future, but  I would rather be safe than sorry when it comes to our O-Line.  I mean Grigson spent money bringing in Nicks.  They have high hopes for Richardson and Ballard, on top of needing security for Luck.  What good is any of that if the opposing defense is in the backfield tackling our RB's behind the LOS, or pressuring Luck and making him run for his life (exactly how last year went).  I will be one * off fan if our line doesn't hold up, after Grigson knew that was our biggest need going into FA. 

I really don't understand why either.  It's pretty much dead money.  We will have that cap space back after next year.   I get the concept of saving money for our future, but  I would rather be safe than sorry when it comes to our O-Line.  I mean Grigson spent money bringing in Nicks.  They have high hopes for Richardson and Ballard, on top of needing security for Luck.  What good is any of that if the opposing defense is in the backfield tackling our RB's behind the LOS, or pressuring Luck and making him run for his life (exactly how last year went).  I will be one * off fan if our line doesn't hold up, after Grigson knew that was our biggest need going into FA.

No one out there is worthy of a 1 year deal and/or play on a short term deal

I 100% disagree.  I do not think it is safe to say we are done at all.  For the most part, the first few days of free agency are a frenzy, then it becomes relatively quiet across the league.  As we move forward you will see more of the older vets sign some deals with teams.  We have 18 million dollars left and this management believes we can win now.  It would be shocked if there isnt at least one more significant signing.  I could see a veteran pass rusher, a move for a starting center or guard, and secondary help.   

Definitely don't need a "veteran" pass rusher. What the defense needs is youth. We definitely need more pass rush from the D, but we need a young guy who can rotate in for Mathis at Sam and get like 8 sacks a season. Even with Warner(who I'm not all that confident in) another young pass rusher is what the Colts need. I just don't see them dipping into FA for that. And Grigson has said Center is a competition between Holmes and Costa. Time to move on man.

I dont think so.  We have to spend the money. I think Grigson learned from Seattle last year that late into free agency, you can get good deals on 1 year contracts.  Plus, more players will be cut.

By this point, anyone who is really worth a look is gone. Eagles might release D-Jax, but that doesn't really do anything for us. And the fact that he said all he's been doing is watching college tape, means that Grigs already has his head in the draft process. He did enough. Let's be happy he didn't go on another spending spree like last year

I still advocate trading our 4th Round pick to the Eagles for DJax.

We don't have our 4th, unfortunately.  I'd pass on Jax too.

The draft isn't our last hope because Grigson will be active through the final cuts and into the season.  I wouldn't be surprised  if he signed another f/a or two , to one year deals, after the draft.