Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Projected cap space for Broncos, Patriots, and Colts next year

chad72

Based on the projection of contracts next year, this is what I found (I am sure it is still being updated):

Denver should approx. have about $40 mil. in cap space in 2015 (based on $90 mil. of contracts and $132 mil. salary cap) to sign up Von Miller, Demaryius Thomas, Chris Harris, Pot Roast and Julius Thomas, their key pieces. This is their cap space from over the cap site (note: Miller, DT, Harris, JT, Pot Roast are free agents next year)

http://overthecap.com/teamcap.php?Team=Broncos&Year=2015

Patriots should have little in cap space in 2015:

http://overthecap.com/teamcap.php?Team=Patriots&Year=2015

Colts should have about $30 mil. in cap space in 2015:

http://overthecap.com/teamcap.php?Team=Colts&Year=2015

So, I am beginning to see Elway is managing the cap well, so is Grigson. Broncos are not nearly in that bad of a shape as I thought they were in. I am a bit surprised on the Patriots front but would not be surprised if Revis is sent packing if he does not get them to a SB giving them a HUGE cap savings. Revis seems to be content on a year-to-year basis.

• Replies 205
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Denver will still have 40 million!!!!!! Now JJ watt hopefully

-10 mil Von Miller, - 10 mil Demaryius Thomas, -10 mil Chris Harris, -5 mil Pot Roast and -5 mil Julius Thomas

= 0 cap left

how you turned the original post into the Broncos signing JJ Watt next year is laughable.

This is good stuff because it subtracts all the guys that Denver has let go plus guys like Welker,  and Jacob Tamme,

who are entering the final year of their deals....(Prater makes a lot more than I thought he did)

...you're right, though, chad....  they'll have to go big for the Thomas 'brothers' and Von ...

.....and you need a lot of bread to keep your Pot Roast happy   :pie:

This is good stuff because it subtracts all the guys that Denver has let go plus guys like Welker,  and Jacob Tamme,

who are entering the final year of their deals....(Prater makes a lot more than I thought he did)

...you're right, though, chad....  they'll have to go big for the Thomas 'brothers' and Von ...

.....and you need a lot of bread to keep your Pot Roast happy   :pie:

I think they throw money only at 4 guys - DT, Miller, Pot Roast and Chris Harris

I think they let go of Welker, bring along Caldwell or Sanders for the slot. Then, they let go of Tamme.

They will pick up Von Miller's 5th year option, which will be $8 mil. They will let someone overpay for Julius Thomas, just like with Eric Decker. They will throw serious money at DT, Miller and Chris Harris first and then Pot Roast.

In order of priority - DT, Von Miller, Chris Harris

Optional: Pot Roast, Julius Thomas, IMO

I think Colts could make a run at Pot Roast, EASILY!!! :)

The Colts have to take a look at Landry and Cherilus for 2015.......because they're making a lot and can be replaced

That is why I mentioned an OT as our 2nd round pick this year because Castanzo is a free agent too. It would be good planning on the Colts part.

I think they throw money only at 4 guys - DT, Miller, Pot Roast and Chris Harris

I think they let go of Welker, bring along Caldwell or Sanders for the slot. Then, they let go of Tamme.

They will pick up Von Miller's 5th year option, which will be $8 mil. They will let someone overpay for Julius Thomas, just like with Eric Decker. They will throw serious money at DT, Miller and Chris Harris first and then Pot Roast.

In order of priority - DT, Von Miller, Chris Harris

Optional: Pot Roast, Julius Thomas, IMO

I think Colts could make a run at Pot Roast, EASILY!!! :)

That's a good call..they may draft a tight end or WR  this year.....

..a new guy could be low priced and productive for 4 years and then Peyton,Clady and D-Ware are off the books...

That is why I mentioned an OT as our 2nd round pick this year because Castanzo is a free agent too. It would be good planning on the Colts part.

Do you think we're seeing more free agent movement because of the rookie scale..which makes it easy to replace YOUR old guys with low priced young ones and then shop for the vets you want.....

..am I saying the obvious?

The Colts can shop till they drop because Andrew is low priced for the next couple of years......

...and the Broncos can go for big ticket items because they know Peyton is going home after after 2016 (at the latest) taking 8 figures off the books...and they can extend deals into that time when the cap will be higher anyway

The Colts have to take a look at Landry and Cherilus for 2015.......because they're making a lot and can be replaced

If Cherilus is just decent to good , the Colts won't even glance at him in 2015. He has a cap cost of 6.9 mill and a cap hit of 8.7 mill if they released him. Even 2016 would be a "painful" cut as the cap hit would be 5.9 mill. The short of all this is the colts structured this to be a 4 year deal . Some low base salaries and pretty big guaranteed money.

The Landry contract is different. You could cut him in 2015 as you would save a little over 2 mill on the cap. But his cap hit is not all that bad for 2015 ...5.75 mill.

-10 mil Von Miller, - 10 mil Demaryius Thomas, -10 mil Chris Harris, -5 mil Pot Roast and -5 mil Julius Thomas

= 0 cap left

how you turned the original post into the Broncos signing JJ Watt next year is laughable.

Chris Harris and DT aren't making 10 a year.

It seems like every year now how we hear "next year the Pats will be in cap trouble" but it hasn't happened.  I'm not saying it will never happen but I think a lot of that comes from Pats haters with their wishful thinking and a little jealousy the Pats manage the cap so well.

The numbers quoted above are facts. Peyton and Brady, being premier QBs, chances are, everyone loves to take shots at their teams, based on which side you are, that is a FACT too. :)

Chris Harris and DT aren't making 10 a year.

if he has another big year, DT will be paid like a top 5 WR...  

we saw what guys like Talib and vontae cost to sign.  it is close to 10 mil.  maybe he is not on their level so he is 5-8 mil a year.  The broncos would then have like 2-5 mil....  STILL NOT SIGNING WATT  which was the meaning of my post.

It seems like every year now how we hear "next year the Pats will be in cap trouble" but it hasn't happened. I'm not saying it will never happen but I think a lot of that comes from Pats haters with their wishful thinking and a little jealousy the Pats manage the cap so well.

The numbers are true, but every team finds a way to save money here and there by making a few nips 'n cuts. It will be interesting to see how some teams handle the 2012 draft class when their current contracts end.

Wouldn't you expect Watt to be franchised?  I guess I'll call it now -- Watt will be franchised and back in Houston.

Could very well be....I wonder what kind of team O'Brien will put on the field.  I wish Houston had not hired him....I really liked him...LIKED...Can't now :)

Has Peyton ever taken a pay cut or restructured his contract in his career to help the team save money so they can afford to bring in other players?  Maybe Peyton should.

I doubt that anyone in the history of the sport has ever "taken a pay cut to help their team". Don't even start with the Brady nonsense - we've had that argument on here 50 times already. Lets wait until he's actually playing for a reduced amount before elevating him to sainthood. There is a vast difference between cynical salary cap manipulation and charity.

Restructure? Repeatedly actually - although those events were no more acts of charity than Brady's. More relevant is the fact that he is making a good $7-10 million per year less than what would be considered FMV in this salary cap structure based on what other QBs are making.

Maybe Peyton should just be paid to do his job like everyone else in the league, without average joe's deciding for him that he's "made enough."

So, I am beginning to see Elway is managing the cap well, Broncos are not nearly in that bad of a shape as I thought they were in.

Well, some people have been saying it repeatedly - including Elway. Most just like to jump to conclusions because "my GOD, they signed ANOTHER free agent. They must be cheating.

There was a reference to RFA Harris getting a "nice raise" now. There may well be motivation on both sides to lock him up before he's a UFA.

If Cherilus is just decent to good , the Colts won't even glance at him in 2015. He has a cap cost of 6.9 mill and a cap hit of 8.7 mill if they released him. Even 2016 would be a "painful" cut as the cap hit would be 5.9 mill. The short of all this is the colts structured this to be a 4 year deal . Some low base salaries and pretty big guaranteed money.

The Landry contract is different. You could cut him in 2015 as you would save a little over 2 mill on the cap. But his cap hit is not all that bad for 2015 ...5.75 mill.

Sorry.....  if that's Landry's cap hit,  I would not expect him to be released.    Not unless something goes terribly wrong.

That's a good sized number.

Im expecting 2015 to be a very quite offseason in terms of signing FA's. We will have to many upcoming FA's of our own to re-sign, Freeman, Wayne, Redding, Castonzo....Who knows, I might be wrong but with Mack being a FA next year it would be a shame not to at least have a chance to sign him

I doubt that anyone in the history of the sport has ever "taken a pay cut to help their team". Don't even start with the Brady nonsense - we've had that argument on here 50 times already. Lets wait until he's actually playing for a reduced amount before elevating him to sainthood. There is a vast difference between cynical salary cap manipulation and charity.

Restructure? Repeatedly actually - although those events were no more acts of charity than Brady's. More relevant is the fact that he is making a good $7-10 million per year less than what would be considered FMV in this salary cap structure based on what other QBs are making.

Maybe Peyton should just be paid to do his job like everyone else in the league, without average joe's deciding for him that he's "made enough."

You mention Brady.  I never mentioned Brady above.  But if you want to try to squash it quickly before anyone can respond, too bad...

Plenty of players through out the history of sports have stayed with a team for less money, taken pay cuts, turned down better offers from other teams that offered them more and restructured their contracts.  Anquan Boldin publicly begged and threatened the Ravens to keep him and he'd stay for less money.

The thing is Peyton makes a LOT more than all other NFL players when you also factor in sponsorship deals.  Peyton makes the most money outside his football contract from sponsors more than any other NFL player.  In fact Peyton's sponsorship deals alone is worth more than most NFL player's contracts.  So he can live like a king just off sponsorship money alone.

Brady took less to free up cap space for the Patriots.  They back loaded his contract but there is no guarantee Brady will ever see that money when he's 40 either as there are no guarantee contracts in the NFL and everyone is expendable. For you to just claim it had nothing to do with that is ridiculous and envy on your part.

Tom Brady Signed A Contract For $30 Million Less Than He's Worth — Here's Why

Read more: http://www.businessinsider.com/tom-brady-less-money-contract-2013-2#ixzz2w9NChbHb

Tom Brady signed a three-year contract extension for $27 million yesterday in a deal that will keep him in New England until 2017, Sports Illustrated's Peter King reports.

The going rate for a top-tier QB these days is $20 million a year. Drew Brees and Peyton Manning make that, and Joe Flacco too.

So Brady didn't just give the Pats a hometown discount, he signed a deal for less than half of what he's worth on the open market.

The reasons are simple: He wants to win and he wants job security.

Brady's deal is a brilliant piece of salary cap maneuvering by New England. The specifics are complicated, but at the end of the day Brady's extension frees up $15 million in salary cap for the Pats over the next two years, King reports.

By taking less money, Brady will have better players around him.

Come on Peyton, don't be like Kobe Bryant.

Based on the projection of contracts next year, this is what I found (I am sure it is still being updated):

Denver should approx. have about $40 mil. in cap space in 2015 (based on $90 mil. of contracts and $132 mil. salary cap) to sign up Von Miller, Demaryius Thomas, Chris Harris, Pot Roast and Julius Thomas, their key pieces. This is their cap space from over the cap site (note: Miller, DT, Harris, JT, Pot Roast are free agents next year)

http://overthecap.com/teamcap.php?Team=Broncos&Year=2015

Patriots should have little in cap space in 2015:

http://overthecap.com/teamcap.php?Team=Patriots&Year=2015

Colts should have about $30 mil. in cap space in 2015:

http://overthecap.com/teamcap.php?Team=Colts&Year=2015

So, I am beginning to see Elway is managing the cap well, so is Grigson. Broncos are not nearly in that bad of a shape as I thought they were in. I am a bit surprised on the Patriots front but would not be surprised if Revis is sent packing if he does not get them to a SB giving them a HUGE cap savings. Revis seems to be content on a year-to-year basis.

Those numbers are nice and all but not based on the cap projection which is supposed to near 160 potentially. Not to mention NE's ability to cut players, restructure deals, etc. Revis' deal is not on the books for 2015 unless the Pats pick up his option which no one expects them to do. NE also has one of the youngest teams in the NFL and knows how to manage the cap better than any other team. And don't forget Brady's cap hit drops too as next year begins his new extension.

Those numbers are nice and all but not based on the cap projection which is supposed to near 160 potentially. Not to mention NE's ability to cut players, restructure deals, etc. Revis' deal is not on the books for 2015 unless the Pats pick up his option which no one expects them to do. NE also has one of the youngest teams in the NFL and knows how to manage the cap better than any other team. And don't forget Brady's cap hit drops too as next year begins his new extension.

The NFL's salary cap is going to be $133 million for 2015.