Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Center needs to be our #1 focus now

Legend of Luck

I personally hope Holmes is ready.  Would love to see the team build with a youngster.  We just do not know as fans...he played well at guard one or two snaps :)

Yep.  We just won't know until Grigs acts or doesn't act.  Even if he doesn't act, that might just mean he didn't like the value proposition in front of him and will wait for another path to materialize in the draft or secondary market options or both.

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Venturi is our former DC from 1991-1993 under Ron Meyer and Ted Marchibroda. He has done some local game day writing for the Indianapolis Star. He is a pretty straight shooter.

Well if he WAS decent at center, I would have thought he MIGHT get a look. Maybe he has bulked up. Some said his strength was suspect.....

Go to camp and play Khaled!

I thought Venturi used to be a coach but the early 90's was a long time ago. I've had way to many things going on since then. LOL!!!

I keep hearing from the Colts beat writers (Chappell,Mike Wells, Phillip B. Wilson and Kravitz) that the team doesn't think much of Holmes. How true that is, I don't know, but I've heard each one of them say it. Theres another guy, Venturi...I think his name is, also said Holmes wasn't what they thought he could be. This sentiment has to be coming from somewhere so I don't know exactly what to think.

If the Colts think as little of Holmes as they do of the beat writers, then he'll be out of the league next time they sneeze.  The beat writers could be right....like a stopped clock.

Free agent C Jonathan Goodwin "hasn't heard anything from the 49ers."

That's likely to remain the case after the 49ers signed G/C Daniel Kilgore to a three-year extension on Thursday, cementing him as the favorite to take over for Goodwin in 2013. Now 35, Goodwin was a liability in pass protection last season. He briefly considered retirement, but wants to continue playing

He was on the field for like 3 snaps the whole season, how could he have shown any real promise?

Holmes saw more snaps than 3 the entire season, he played in 3 games and was inactive for 9, As far as to how many actual snaps he played i would have to look it up. But from what i did see in his limited time he showed flashes of good footwork and the ability to drive block which is promising in a young OL.

If the Colts think as little of Holmes as they do of the beat writers, then he'll be out of the league next time they sneeze. The beat writers could be right....like a stopped clock.

Yeah, I don't know if they're right or not. They don't seem to be the smartest group of writers around but all of them seem to think the same thing about Holmes.

I thought Venturi used to be a coach but the early 90's was a long time ago. I've had way to many things going on since then. LOL!!!

He was atrocious as a head coach at Northwestern.  Not a bad DC really.

I actually enjoy his critiques of the Colts players...he tells it like it is.

Remember, I am not called the OLD LB for nuthin :)

Yeah, I don't know if they're right or not. They don't seem to be the smartest group of writers around but all of them seem to think the same thing about Holmes.

They had AV leaving town as well as Davis....one had Pat Mac leaving too....

Chappel is the so called insider.

Agreed, they are consistent.  I'll admit to reading their stuff, but am always surprised at the shallow depth of it.  None of them seem like they're really football guys nor is there much in the way of critical thinking going on.  They say critical things sometimes, but that isn't exactly the same thing.  As for their unity on Holmes, I think there is zero chance they have heard anything real from the team.  They are drawing the same shallow inferences from circumstances that everyone else around here is. 

Free agent C Jonathan Goodwin "hasn't heard anything from the 49ers."

That's likely to remain the case after the 49ers signed G/C Daniel Kilgore to a three-year extension on Thursday, cementing him as the favorite to take over for Goodwin in 2013. Now 35, Goodwin was a liability in pass protection last season. He briefly considered retirement, but wants to continue playing

I keep hearing from the Colts beat writers (Chappell,Mike Wells, Phillip B. Wilson and Kravitz) that the team doesn't think much of Holmes. How true that is, I don't know, but I've heard each one of them say it. Theres another guy, Venturi...I think his name is, also said Holmes wasn't what they thought he could be. This sentiment has to be coming from somewhere so I don't know exactly what to think.

If that's the case then where's the sense of urgency to get somebody else? If they don't like Holmes I would think they'd at least get EDS in here for a visit. 

Free agent C/G Phil Costa visited both the Lions and Patriots on Tuesday.

Costa, 26, was an effective blocker more often than not when called on in Dallas. He would be a strong signing for depth in either of these locations, and could replace free agent Ryan Wendell as the starting center in Foxboro

NFL | Four teams in on Alex Mack

Wed, 12 Mar 2014 12:12:54 -0700

Four teams are in contact with free-agent C Alex Mack (Browns), according to a source.

Comment | Source: NFL Network - Ian Rapoport | Share: facebook.png  - See more at: http://www.kffl.com/hotw/NFL/?cat=free#sthash.sSbk78un.dpuf

No idea who the 4 teams are but....who knows. ;)  Personally I think my preference is EDS though from a value perspective but not going to be upset at all if we somehow land Mack.

On Alex Mack? Yes. Ravens, too. RT @Steve_Cardenas: @RapSheet Are the Colts one of those teams?

I also saw this and thought it was really interesting. I am just wondering how much the Browns really want to hold onto him. With their cap, they can easily match any offer we give.

but then if neither of them pan out then we're in the same shape, maybe even worse, than the past 2 years.

And if they sign a FA and he gets injured the Colts will be in the same shape, maybe even worse, than the past 2 years.

There are always ifs and buts.  But Larsen is day starter material, IMO.

The Colts should also sign Davin Joseph as guard and see if he can get back to the form when he was considered one of the top young guards (2 probowls in his first threee years) in the league before injuries have really halted his progress.  He should be able to be signed for a minimum amt.

Well that blows. 

Hopefully Holmes is decent at guard then, because if not, what a waste of a pick. 

Maybe we sign Goodwin out of all these guys as a one year stop gap. Hopefully our former O-lineman GM can pick a better center this year in the draft, or someone opens up next year. 

I like Stork better ONLY because he has won a championship...I would take wither one Coffee.

Stork is not bad but from what I've read and the 3 or 4 FSU games I've watched over the last two years his legs are too thin.  He had problems driving bigger DTs in the run game in college, in the NFL that problem will be three fold.  From all accounts he is a hard worker, strong upper body and technically sound but he seems like a better fit for a zone blocking scheme whereas Larson is a better fit for a man blocking scheme.

Stork is not bad but from what I've read and the 3 or 4 FSU games I've watched over the last two years his legs are too thin.  He had problems driving bigger DTs in the run game in college, in the NFL that problem will be three fold.  From all accounts he is a hard worker, strong upper body and technically sound but he seems like a better fit for a zone blocking scheme whereas Larson is a better fit for a man blocking scheme.

Not gonna argue with you on this one.  I am all for Larson.  I was just thinking out loud on having a player who has already won the BCS going for the Lombardi with Luck...

If the Colts think as little of Holmes as they do of the beat writers, then he'll be out of the league next time they sneeze.  The beat writers could be right....like a stopped clock.

The thing about Holmes is what sticks out on tape is his athleticism but he is very raw, Slips off blocks do to overextending, lacks alot of strength (also shown in the combine)

Not gonna argue with you on this one.  I am all for Larson.  I was just thinking out loud on having a player who has already won the BCS going for the Lombardi with Luck...

And if the Colts draft Stork, I will not be one to say they made a mistake.  I think either could be good.... You like Stork a little more and I like Larsen a little more.

just posted on rotoworld.

NFL Network's Ian Rapoport reports four teams have shown "varying levels" of interest in free agent C Alex Mack.

RapSheet mentions the Ravens and Colts as two of the teams interested in the 28-year-old. They're waiting for the "frenzy to die down" before making a run at Mack, who was slapped with the transition tag by the Browns. Indianapolis needs a center after releasing Samson Satele, while Baltimore needs an upgrade on Gino Gradkowski. Mack is arguably the best center in the NFL.
Related: RavensColts

at least he goes for what he like

And if they sign a FA and he gets injured the Colts will be in the same shape, maybe even worse, than the past 2 years.

There are always ifs and buts.  But Larsen is day starter material, IMO.

The Colts should also sign Davin Joseph as guard and see if he can get back to the form when he was considered one of the top young guards (2 probowls in his first threee years) in the league before injuries have really halted his progress.  He should be able to be signed for a minimum amt.

that's true.  Same could be said for Larsen or Holmes though.  With one of those guys you have potential injury, inability to adapt to the NFL, learning curve etc to worry about them overcoming whereas with a FA, the only thing you should have to worry about is the injury factor.  A safer but more expensive bet.

I honestly don't care one way or another.  If Grigson finds a C in the draft that he feels has the ability to play at a high level from day one then by all means, let's get that guy.   However from all that I've read about the draft, there really isn't a guy like that at the C position.  Personally, I haven't seen enough of any C prospect to say one way or another.

Venturi is our former DC from 1991-1993 under Ron Meyer and Ted Marchibroda.  He has done some local game day writing for the Indianapolis Star.  He is a pretty straight shooter.

Well if he WAS decent at center, I would have thought he MIGHT get a look.  Maybe he has bulked up.  Some said his strength was suspect.....

Go to camp and play Khaled!

That name Venturi at first confused me with Ace Ventura Pet Detective haha   sorry to be off point 

that's true.  Same could be said for Larsen or Holmes though.  With one of those guys you have potential injury, inability to adapt to the NFL, learning curve etc to worry about them overcoming whereas with a FA, the only thing you should have to worry about is the injury factor.  A safer but more expensive bet.

I honestly don't care one way or another.  If Grigson finds a C in the draft that he feels has the ability to play at a high level from day one then by all means, let's get that guy.   However from all that I've read about the draft, there really isn't a guy like that at the C position.  Personally, I haven't seen enough of any C prospect to say one way or another.

Yup, the same can be said if the Cotls draft a center again.

I'm not sold yet on Grigson's ability to find oline talent though.  He made up for it a bit with Gosder and Thomas but still in his short time with the Colts he has had more misses than hits.

And if the Colts draft Stork, I will not be one to say they made a mistake.  I think either could be good.... You like Stork a little more and I like Larsen a little more.

Im personally not thrilled by the idea of drafting either one, Larsen is clearly limited athletically in terms of trying to get up to the 2nd level consistently, His 36 bench press reps at the Combine suggest plenty of strength but I dont see that translating on film when I watch him, Doesn't have a strong hand punch to jolt D Linemen, Also short arms and to me somewhat skinny legs, tight hips maybe to? Those are all reasons I think that his strength dont translate on the field

I think Venturi was an interim HC.  Man, most people on this forum don't remember what it was like being a Colts fan back then... a 3-13 was normal, a 4-12 season was a success the birth of the weekly radio song, "Lord, help our Colts." was about the only football related item worth looking forward to.

And now people complain because the Colts have only one SB and two SB appearances and "only" make the playoffs 13 times in the past 16 seasons.

Yup, the same can be said if the Cotls draft a center again.

I'm not sold yet on Grigson's ability to find oline talent though.  He made up for it a bit with Gosder and Thomas but still in his short time with the Colts he has had more misses than hits.

Who all are you considering in that equation?  Personally I don't count any of the guys brought in the first year because of how strapped he was in terms of cap space.  He had limited options and imo brought in the best guys he could find at the prices he could afford.  

So I would only consider Cherilus, Thomas, Holmes, Thornton, and Justin Anderson as the primary acquisitions and so far.  I'm only counting drafted players and players brought in during the primary FA period.  We could include UDFA's as well if you want but we all know they're far more often misses rather than hits, but if Grigson were to find a diamond UDFA and we counted that player then we would also have to count any UDFA's that didn't pan out.

So of those acquisitions, Anderson was cut because he was never healthy.  I'm not sure if he had a lengthy history of injury in college or not.  Holmes we know very little about but not sounding good.  Thornton was pressed into a starting role probably sooner than they expected and he did struggle at times but also showed flashes at times.  I think he's found more good than bad so far.