Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts visit NIU Pro Day to check out Jimmie Ward.

CBSSports.com projects him to go in round 2 and list him as the best SS in the draft (http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/players/1786605/jimmie-ward).  NFL.com/Nolan Nawrocki projects him to go in round 6-7.  Just goes to show you how inexact a science scouting/drafting is.  With that said, I feel like Nawrocki is unimpressed by almost everyone in this year's draft, judging by what he has written for NFL.com's scouting reports

I'm am soooo not a fan of small sized safeties....  and Ward is listed as 5'11" and 190.

But he's getting very good write-ups and reviews......

As for Nawrocki....   he's a very, very hard grader.    Always has been.

But I'll have to go over and read his review to get a better feel for his comments.

I'm am soooo not a fan of small sized safeties.... and Ward is listed as 5'11" and 190.

But he's getting very good write-ups and reviews......

As for Nawrocki.... he's a very, very hard grader. Always has been.

But I'll have to go over and read his review to get a better feel for his comments.

Some top safeties are short. Earl Thomas, Polamalu, Bob Sanders... The average size of NFL safeties is about 5'11", 190-200 lbs.

The size would scare me off, it's the skill set and what he brings to the table.

Some top safeties are short. Earl Thomas, Polamalu, Bob Sanders... The average size of NFL safeties is about 5'11", 190-200 lbs.

The size would scare me off, it's the skill set and what he brings to the table.

Byrd is 5'10, too.

The three safeties you mention are all on the shorter side, but none are under 200.

Thomas, Plamalu and Sanders are all over 200.     So, short doesn't equal small.

At 5'11" 190, Ward is tall enough,  but I'm not sure he's big enough to last.

Again, I want to stress -- he's getting mostly very good write-ups.    So, I know my view is in the minority on him....  I'm not down on him -- at least, not yet.    I'm just skeptical and cautious.

He's listed as a SS, but I think his skill set translates better to a FS, he's excellent in coverage and from what I've seen he does well when asked to roam and has good instincts. Also can cover the slot really well.

I think his skills would complement Landry really well. I wouldn't be opposed to taking him if he's there at our second.

Here's part of a write-up on Ward from NFL.com....

It's good....  he's somewhat bigger (not taller) than expected...   but very good drills at his pro day....    here you go....

Ward (5-10 3/4, 197 pounds), who plays safety, was among 11 players who worked out.  He didn’t run at the combine, but he posted times of 4.47 and 4.48 in the 40 on Friday.  He had a 38-inch vertical jump and a 10-foot, 5-inch broad jump, as well as a 4.24-second short shuttle and 6.89-second 3-cone drill.   He’s going in for surgery on his foot this week and will not be able to do anything for about six weeks.

If we're seriously interested we'll have to do a follow-up medical examine just before the draft to see how the foot is recovering......