Sam Shields; 4 years 28 Million

Jonathan Goodwin; 1 year 2 Million

Travelle Wharton; 1 year 1.5 Million

Draft

2nd) Jeremiah Attauchu: OLB

3rd) Ed Reynolds: FS

4th) Trade Up) Stanley Jean Baptiste: CB

7th) Kirby Van Der Camp: P

Drafting a Punter is basically throwing a draft pick which we have already done once, you dont draft a Punter when you have a chance to draft a skill player who could make an impact

I understand your point, but I look at it like this, you aren't likely to find someone in the seventh that's going to make an impact. So I think if we don't re sign MacAfee, and the best P is there in the 7th we should grab him. His value would more than likely end up being greater than any other player we were to take. JMO.

I'm sorry, but I just don't agree with a lot of things in this mock. First off, why is everyone ready to throw off Toler so easily? He's got injury problems, but plays just about as well as anybody when he's healthy. 2nd, the FA projections are just way too much. We might be able to afford this firepower today, but not in a few years when we need to resign our key young guns. Surely I'd love to draft Attauchu, Reynolds, and SJB, but I don't see any one of those players being available in their respective rounds.

Drafting a Punter is basically throwing a draft pick which we have already done once, you dont draft a Punter when you have a chance to draft a skill player who could make an impact

Well, we did draft McAfee in the 7th....but that was Polian's regime so we can blame him for that too.  However, if that was a wasted pick, then I guess that answers the question about whether he is worth being resigned or not.

Very interesting. The defense seems like it would be much better in this scenario.

I am not sure if we could get Wharton on a one year deal that cheap. Despite his age, I have seen him rated as one of the top free agent guards available. I would also be fine cutting ties with Reitz. I think he has been with us for about 3 years now, and has shown only that he is consistent with regards to getting injured.

I am completely on board with letting McAfee walk. I just don't see paying $4 million+ on a punter. I think we can get by with a rookie/free agent with a strong leg.

I'm sorry, but I just don't agree with a lot of things in this mock. First off, why is everyone ready to throw off Toler so easily? He's got injury problems, but plays just about as well as anybody when he's healthy. 2nd, the FA projections are just way too much. We might be able to afford this firepower today, but not in a few years when we need to resign our key young guns. Surely I'd love to draft Attauchu, Reynolds, and SJB, but I don't see any one of those players being available in their respective rounds.

Regarding Toler, Yeah he's solid when he's healthy, but he cant stay healthy. If a player cant stay healthy they should be replaced IMO. We would save 4 or 5 million by cutting Toler, and could sign a better CB for a couple million more than we are paying him. As far as the cap situation, we have money coming off the books after this coming season. (Wayne, Hasslebeck, Redding, etc. we could also cut guys like Landry and Walden, and structure some contracts of new FA where we could release them after a year or two. The cap can be manipulated. Your probably right about the draft, I got a little excited on that part.

A punter who can put the ball inside the 20 consistently is an impact player, IMO. When we played San Diego several years ago in the playoffs, Mike Scifres kept punting the ball Deep into Colts territory, which had a Big impact on that game. I don't think there are very many true impact players at the bottom of the 5th Rd or 6th/7th Rounds. There are some, but not many.  Cody Webster, Purdue would be a late round Punter that could be an impact player for very little $.

Yeah but Toler is average. It's not a tremendous upgrade over Cassius Vaughn. Average doesn't win in this league. We need another good or great corner to pair with Vontae. And SJB would be available in the second. Reynolds as well, although I'd rather have Ward or Bucannon.

Well, we did draft McAfee in the 7th....but that was Polian's regime so we can blame him for that too.  However, if that was a wasted pick, then I guess that answers the question about whether he is worth being resigned or not.

No it dont, we dont have to waste a 7th on him again, he is already here, of course he should be resigned however. He is one of my favorite players. I'd hate to see him leave, But its pretty easy to find some undrafted Punter just waiting to get a call, If your asking if I would use a 7th rounder in a redraft again with a chance to get Mcafee....No of course not, you dont pass up a chance to get a skill player who has a real chance to be on the field alot more then Mcafee ever will be, For all we know we could have had Mcafee as an undrafted FA, he went 222 out of 256 in 2009...Alex Boone, Micheal Bennett, Arian Foster all went undrafted that year

No it dont, we dont have to waste a 7th on him again, he is already here, of course he should be resigned however. He is one of my favorite players. I'd hate to see him leave, But its pretty easy to find some undrafted Punter just waiting to get a call, If your asking if I would use a 7th rounder in a redraft again with a chance to get Mcafee....No of course not, you dont pass up a chance to get a skill player who has a real chance to be on the field alot more then Mcafee ever will be, For all we know we could have had Mcafee as an undrafted FA, he went 222 out of 256 in 2009...Alex Boone, Micheal Bennett, Arian Foster all went undrafted that year

Your point is completely valid, and I think there are GM's that share your philosophy.  Personally, I'd spend a 7th on McAfee everytime to have him on the roster for 500K instead of 3M.

I did a mock again at the simulator.  Here's what I got, what do you think?

59   ILB SHAYNE SKOV  STANFORD

90   CB STANLEY JEAN- BAPTISTE  NEBRASKA

154  DT DEANDRE COLEMAN  CALIFORNIA

187  DE AARON LYNCH  USF

209  C JAMES STONE  TENNESSEE

218  CB RICARDO ALLEN  PURDUE

I did a mock again at the simulator.  Here's what I got, what do you think?

59   ILB SHAYNE SKOV  STANFORD

90   CB STANLEY JEAN- BAPTISTE  NEBRASKA

154  DT DEANDRE COLEMAN  CALIFORNIA

187  DE AARON LYNCH  USF

209  C JAMES STONE  TENNESSEE

218  CB RICARDO ALLEN  PURDUE

I love it. If we come out of this draft with Skov and Baptiste, that would be awesome.

Cut; Toler, Satele, Sheppard

Draft

2nd) Jeremiah Attauchu: OLB

3rd) Ed Reynolds: FS

4th) Trade Up) Stanley Jean Baptiste: CB

7th) Kirby Van Der Camp: P

I could live with this.  I'm becoming a bigger fan of Attauchu.  I'd go for a different player looking for depth in the 7th.  Other players I could live with are Jarvis Landry, David Yankey, Kelcy Quarles, Marcus Smith, or Kenny Ladler.  Landry and Yankey could very well be gone but could also fall to us, especially Landry, due to depth.  I'm really not high on drafting a WR with the return or Wayne and Allen to our passing game, but we don't know how Wayne will come back at his age and Landry would be a great replacement.  He is very close to Wayne in terms of physical traits and is one of the best route runners and has very good hands.  

First mock

RESIGN 

Ahmad Bradshaw

Joe Reitz

Pat Mcaffee 

Vontae Davis

Sign 

Evan Dietrich Smith  C

Arthur Jones DE 

James ihedigbo S

draft

2nd round : CB Stanley Jean Baptiste Nebraska 

3rd round : ILB Shayne Skov  Stanford

5th round : WR Paul Richardson  Coloarado

6th round Deandre Coleman DL California

7th round Zach Fulton T/G Tennessee

First mock

RESIGN 

Ahmad Bradshaw

Joe Reitz

Pat Mcaffee 

Vontae Davis

Sign 

Evan Dietrich Smith  C

Arthur Jones DE 

James ihedigbo S

draft

2nd round : CB Stanley Jean Baptiste Nebraska 

3rd round : ILB Shayne Skov  Stanford

5th round : WR Paul Richardson  Coloarado

6th round Deandre Coleman DL California

7th round Zach Fulton T/G Tennessee

Ihedigbo may not be a bad option, but it always worries me when a guy is average at best for six years, then has one big year. I think Paul Richardson will be a 3rd rounder too. I love your first two picks.