Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Is the NFL raising the cap this year?

COLTS449

Im just curious on how Seattle is going to be able to retain ALL of their free agents in these next couple of years. Earl Thomas, Richard Sherman, Bruce Irvin, Kam Chancelor, Bobby Williams, Marshawn Lynch, Russell Wilson, Percy Harvin, Golden Tate, I mean that is a lot of star power who will want a lot of money for their roles in making Seattle a better team.

Im just curious on how Seattle is going to be able to retain ALL of their free agents in these next couple of years. Earl Thomas, Richard Sherman, Bruce Irvin, Kam Chancelor, Bobby Williams, Marshawn Lynch, Russell Wilson, Percy Harvin, Golden Tate, I mean that is a lot of star power who will want a lot of money for their roles in making Seattle a better team.

They won't be able to

I hope not! This will help other teams retain their star players and affect our ability to steal players away. Without a first rounder this year, we need some good FA acquisitions. Let's wait until Andrew's contract is due before the salary cap is increased!

The salary cap going up a few million dollars isn't going to affect the Colts one way or the other on who they can or can't sign. Yes it will rise some this yr. and I think it takes a huge jump next yr.. The salary cap going up is always s good thing IMO.

Very true. It'll be interesting to watch....and the phrase "hometown discount" gets thrown around a lot, but I'll believe it when I see it.

There's a big difference between Tom Brady doing that well into his NFL career...and a team filled with celebrated mid-round guys who've won a Super Bowl but who've yet to really cash in.

Seattle deserves credit for drafting very well and winning it all....but there will be a downside.

The salary cap going up a few million dollars isn't going to affect the Colts one way or the other on who they can or can't sign. 

I don't agree with that.  I remember the Colts were able to keep Jeff Saturday a few years back specifically because the salary cap was increased, thus allowing Polian the flexibility to retain him. What if another team had wanted Jeff Saturday's services?  Then the cap increase would not have been such a good thing for them.

Now, imagine if, say, Cleveland is allowed to give Alex Mack a few more million then they would have had the salary cap not been increased.  Then, at least this Colts fan, will be singing the blues...

Who knows if something like this would play out, though. Just sayin'....

I don't agree with that. I remember the Colts were able to keep Jeff Saturday a few years back specifically because the salary cap was increased, thus allowing Polian the flexibility to retain him. What if another team had wanted Jeff Saturday's services? Then the cap increase would not have been such a good thing for them.

Now, imagine if, say, Cleveland is allowed to give Alex Mack a few more million then they would have had the salary cap not been increased. Then, at least this Colts fan, will be singing the blues...

If it allows teams to sign one of their own players then we'll just sign somebody else. Its not a big deal and IMO the chances of the Colts signing Mack is slim to none anyway. I don't even want them to sign him for the money he'll get. Centers should not be paid that much and it would be smarter to sign one of the top centers available but will be much cheaper.

Umm, the salary cap goes up every year (except in 2010 when they had the uncapped year and then the new CBA created a cap that was initially lower than the 2009 cap) and it's determined by the TV revenue.  It was around 120 million in 2011, 121 million in 2012 and 123 million in 2013.  Now reports are saying it will jump to 130 million in 2014.  The salary floor is now also set at 90% of the cap (in 2013 it was 88% of the cap).

I don't agree with that.  I remember the Colts were able to keep Jeff Saturday a few years back specifically because the salary cap was increased, thus allowing Polian the flexibility to retain him. What if another team had wanted Jeff Saturday's services?  Then the cap increase would not have been such a good thing for them.

Now, imagine if, say, Cleveland is allowed to give Alex Mack a few more million then they would have had the salary cap not been increased.  Then, at least this Colts fan, will be singing the blues...

The salary cap is not a real number, meaning teams can do things to manipulate how the money shows up regarding the cap, and no team has ever NOT signed a player because of the salary cap.  They may use that as an excuse sometimes but that is all it is, it's a just a way of saying that the team did not think the player was worth what he was asking.

Remember a few years ago when Corey Simon became available, many Colts fans said the Colts could not sign him because they did not have the cap room (I think the Colts were about 2.5 million under at the time) and yet the Colts signed him.  The bill will come due one day but the cap itself is not a deterrent to signing a player that the team covets.