Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

CBS Gets Thursday Games for 2014

Fx Stryker

I don't have NFLN so in a way I'm glad, but I would have much preferred a different network. My wife and I enjoy about a dozen dramas on CBS. Their schedule was already pretty chock full with actual shows (instead of reality schlock) and something has to give. :sigh: 

I'm confused as to why the NFL would sabotage ratings on its own network

..but I'm sure they get paid...

....Great for CBS......They've got Tuseday night (NCIS, LA and Person of Interest) 

..and Friday  (Hawaii-5-0....Blue Bloods..)

....Now they get 8 weeks of ratings to pump up Thursday..

When you complain about the matchups, keep in mind you can only play once on Thursday...

I'm guessing that's why CBS took 8 early season games. Almost everybody is still a contender in September and October

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nfl/2014/02/05/cbs-thursday-tv-games-nfl-network/5227869/

They get the first 8 games of the 2014 season. Pretty cool for us who don't have NFLN

Jim Nance & Phil Simms are my favorite NFL broadcasters on TV. I still can't get into Thursday night Football though. Sunday & Monday is what I was raised on & used to watching. 

I love Thursday night games....and it gives the players a mini=bye week..

Teams are only on once..so ....no one should complain about this

No one complains abut playing late Monday night and then again early Sunday

...but early Sunday and then Thursday night is called heartless...and uncaring to player safety..

Its just whining..

remember more money for the NFL directly translates (by contract) to more money for the players..which is why we'll have 18 games soon..

We could expand to 60-man rosters though.....more jobs....

I love Thursday night games....and it gives the players a mini=bye week..

Teams are only on once..so ....no one should complain about this

No one complains abut playing late Monday night and then again early Sunday

...but early Sunday and then Thursday night is called heartless...and uncaring to player safety..

Its just whining..

remember more money for the NFL directly translates (by contract) to more money for the players..which is why we'll have 18 games soon..

We could expand to 60-man rosters though.....more jobs....

Huh? All it "gives the players" is insufficient recovery time.

A monday night game means that you have an extra day to prepare for one game, and then one day less to prepare for the next. I suspect that many teams dump the rest day that week and so get a completely normal week of preparation - just a bit less time to recover physically. It's been going on for decades without much in the way of complaint - for good reason.

Thursdays? Here's an example for you - for many games last season Peyton didn't even participate in PRACTICE until Thursday, so common sense suggests that having to play a GAME on Thursday seriously crimped preparations. There is a reason they lost that Thursday game to SD while beating them the two other times they met. It conveys an advantage to healthier teams, younger teams, or teams that don't vary their game plan as much week to week - none of which advances the idea of the "best" team winning. It also over time will likely result in comparatively lousy games with more players than normal sitting out due to injury and many of the rest not giving their normal effort. A "mini-bye week". What do you imagine they are doing? Going on a "mini-vacation"? They need the time to recover from the TWO GAMES IN FIVE DAYS. Not a great trade off.

Of course I wish that there were games on every night because it would be fun to watch, but I don't see anything positive about it for the players/teams (aside from the "yet even more money" aspect that you mention). My preference would be for dropping the Thursday nights completely in favor of Saturday night football.

With one big BUT. Why can't they have limited Thursday night games - the first week of the season, and then after bye weeks start - with ONLY teams coming off bye weeks participating. They may have to rent time on a super-computer to figure out the schedule, but with the additional income from CBS I'm sure they can afford it. ;)

So does that mean the first eight TNF games will all be AFC vs AFC or AFC vs NFC?

Interesting question. I'd be quite confident that the Sunday rules don't apply. They are all about fairly dividing a whole bunch of games happening at the same time between two broadcasters having equal rights.

Thursday is a separate package involving one network and one game. I can't imagine the game selection process being limited. The fact that CBS is involved on both days is coincidental.

Interesting question. I'd be quite confident that the Sunday rules don't apply. They are all about fairly dividing a whole bunch of games happening at the same time between two broadcasters having equal rights.

Thursday is a separate package involving one network and one game. I can't imagine the game selection process being limited. The fact that CBS is involved on both days is coincidental.

Yeah, I found out that CBS will do NFC games on TNF, so it won't be like Sunday.

Anyhow, I'm glad it's CBS getting these extra games. Much better network for football than FOX IMO (I just think CBS presents football in a much more professional way than FOX does).

This is good for people who do not have NFL Network, but the Thursday night games suck in general.  

I found myself doing other things like reading or playing videogames instead of watching the Thursday night games.  They play was lackluster to your typical Sunday or Monday game.  

Still have to laugh at the NFL talking about safety, but then continue to over saturate the market with more and more games.  Soon enough we will have Tuesday night games too.

Huh? All it "gives the players" is insufficient recovery time.

A monday night game means that you have an extra day to prepare for one game, and then one day less to prepare for the next. I suspect that many teams dump the rest day that week and so get a completely normal week of preparation - just a bit less time to recover physically. It's been going on for decades without much in the way of complaint - for good reason.

Thursdays? Here's an example for you - for many games last season Peyton didn't even participate in PRACTICE until Thursday, so common sense suggests that having to play a GAME on Thursday seriously crimped preparations. There is a reason they lost that Thursday game to SD while beating them the two other times they met. It conveys an advantage to healthier teams, younger teams, or teams that don't vary their game plan as much week to week - none of which advances the idea of the "best" team winning. It also over time will likely result in comparatively lousy games with more players than normal sitting out due to injury and many of the rest not giving their normal effort. A "mini-bye week". What do you imagine they are doing? Going on a "mini-vacation"? They need the time to recover from the TWO GAMES IN FIVE DAYS. Not a great trade off.

Of course I wish that there were games on every night because it would be fun to watch, but I don't see anything positive about it for the players/teams (aside from the "yet even more money" aspect that you mention). My preference would be for dropping the Thursday nights completely in favor of Saturday night football.

With one big BUT. Why can't they have limited Thursday night games - the first week of the season, and then after bye weeks start - with ONLY teams coming off bye weeks participating. They may have to rent time on a super-computer to figure out the schedule, but with the additional income from CBS I'm sure they can afford it. ;)

On late Monday night..Tuesday is lost...you don't 'dump it'  yo don't get home sometimes till Tuesday in the wee hours...you have wed, Thurs and Fri...to work and saturday for travel

On Sunday afternoon-Thurs night......you have Tuesday and Wed...to work...

recovery time (obviously not practice days) is actually 4 full days from Sunday aft to Thurs night

In the post season you play Sunday afternoon and then early Saturday.... ..

I'm just saying that this because an issue when it became a bargaining chip

There's been Thuirsday AFTERNOON games for 60 years and no one complained...about insufficient recovery time' because you do it once a year

There is no record of more injuries or less competitive games on Thanksgiving and again...its been 60 years..

Fans whine about bad matchups on Thursday and they watch the same game Sunday

If you want players to get paid more and more every year (and the NFLPA does) ..you have to allow owners access to more revenue...Its that simple

Nobody plays on Thursday more than once..by rule...as long as that rule remains in place

This isn't an issue,.,.its a negotiating chip

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nfl/2014/02/05/cbs-thursday-tv-games-nfl-network/5227869/

They get the first 8 games of the 2014 season. Pretty cool for us who don't have NFLN.

I think the rerason that CBS wanted (paid big cash for) the 1st eight is that's the fall ratings period

..and nobody's really out of the playoff race in September and October..

The games the NFL Net has (the final 8) could be an 0-12 team against a 4-8 team

The players hate Thursday games and who can blame them. You are beat up and get zero time to heal. Let the college boys play on Thursday and give the pros Friday. Why not have a 9AM game on Sunday making it four games for the day? Is the NFL afraid to go to Saturday for fear of insulting the college people?

The players hate Thursday games and who can blame them. You are beat up and get zero time to heal. Let the college boys play on Thursday and give the pros Friday. Why not have a 9AM game on Sunday making it four games for the day? Is the NFL afraid to go to Saturday for fear of insulting the college people?

The players want that money, though.......Its a business........one game a year..players will do it for the money

....The NFL used to have late season games on Saturday and they will again this coming season because Christmas and New Years are on Thursday.

The media and fans parrot the louder players who hate Thursday games...but they agreed to them..

..and you cannot play Friday because that's high school football night over most of the country..

again..be astute enough to know that complaining about Thursday games by players is code for..'we want more money...more jobs and a higher salary cap'

Jags and Raiders would be a ratings booster.... :bag:

A six yr-old NCIS would be better than that...well so would Roseanne re-runs.... :)

True Brent, but the Jags are no longer a laughing stock NFL team anymore & they actually play physical football now. A credit to their coaching staff & an owner that gives them time to improve & build a formidable squad unlike Raiders management who change HC's like most people change socks.  

This is good for people who do not have NFL Network, but the Thursday night games suck in general.  

I found myself doing other things like reading or playing videogames instead of watching the Thursday night games.  They play was lackluster to your typical Sunday or Monday game.  

Still have to laugh at the NFL talking about safety, but then continue to over saturate the market with more and more games.  Soon enough we will have Tuesday night games too.

Truer words were never more accurate than this...I admire your entire post, especially the line I bolded. Exactly Thewholefnshow28 exactly.  :thmup:

True Brent, but the Jags are no longer a laughing stock NFL team anymore & they actually play physical football now. A credit to their coaching staff & an owner that gives them time to improve & build a formidable squad unlike Raiders management who change HC's like most people change socks.  

Yes...but I had to say it for comic relief!!  :)  Gus Bradley had them believing they could compete week in and week out from about mid-season on Brother!!!

Yeah, I found out that CBS will do NFC games on TNF, so it won't be like Sunday.

Anyhow, I'm glad it's CBS getting these extra games. Much better network for football than FOX IMO (I just think CBS presents football in a much more professional way than FOX does).

I agree with that conclusion too buffalo34. CBS in general seems to have better analysts, online journalists, & network executives who cover stories more in depth than any other TV Network IMO.

Maybe I just agree with the point of view more often because they are consistent on air pundits who don't pretend to be NFL messiahs like Michael Irvin, Deion Sanders, and Heath Evans. Rolling my eyes. LOL!  

Oh yeah, when they make a mistake in picking a team to win & they don't in a given week they actually admit it. Wow, what a novel concept! [sarcasm intended.]

I mean...this is good I guess...but what's gonna happen to The Big Bang Theory!?!?!?

The Big Bang Theory is one of the most popular shows.  So, I can't imagine CBS canceling it just to make room for TNF.

My guess is that they will move it back to Monday night or some other day/time slot that they feel is more advantageous.

I agree with that conclusion too buffalo34. CBS in general seems to have better analysts, online journalists, & network executives who cover stories more in depth than any other TV Network IMO.

Maybe I just agree with the point of view more often because they are consistent on air pundits who don't pretend to be NFL messiahs like Michael Irvin, Deion Sanders, and Heath Evans. Rolling my eyes. LOL!  

Oh yeah, when they make a mistake in picking a team to win & they don't in a given week they actually admit it. Wow, what a novel concept! [sarcasm intended.]

Who knows, maybe I'm also more inclined and biased to pick CBS, as they do all of the AFC games (given they do the bulk of Bills, Patriots, Colts, Broncos, etc games), but unless CBS is airing a really horrible game and FOX is airing a high-profiled game, I always stick with the CBS game as it's more watchable for me.

Also doesn't hurt that CBS does a better job with bonus coverage of other games and pulling you out of blowouts to a better game than FOX does.

And CBS is going to be a better network by default next year with the retirement of Dan Dierdorf!