Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Chelsea_fc Offseason Mock 2.0

(First: Dustin, I'm using your format for this, so thank you in advance :D)

Salary Cap: $34,951,226

Player Cut:

Samson Satele, C

Adjusted Salary Cap (after cuts):  $38,531,226

Resigned-Players:

- Vontae Davis, CB (5 year/37.5 MM)

- Pat Mcafee, P (4 year/11 MM)

- Donald Brown, RB (3 year/10 MM)

- Antoine Bethea, S (2 year/6 MM)

- Sergio Brown, S/ST (3 year/2.25 MM)

- Adam Vinatieri, K (1 year/3.5 MM)

- Joe Reitz, LT (2 year/1.5 MM)

- Josh Gordy, CB (2 year/2 MM)

- Chris Rainey, RB (1 year/750k)

- Cam Johnson, LB (2 year/1 MM)

- Aubrayo Franklin, NT (1 year/1.1 MM)

Players Signed via FA:

- Geoff Schwartz, G (5 year/16 MM)

- Brian de la Puente, C (5 year/ 27.5 MM)

- Linval Joseph, DT (4 year/15 MM)

Adjusted Salary Cap (after FA signings and signing bonuses affecting the cap that I don't really understand): Roughly $7,000,000

2014 NFL Draft:

Round 2:  Shayne Skov, ILB, Stanford

I know this is not the most popular pick, but I believe Skov could be just what this defense needs.  Skov is a force to be reckoned with in the middle (look at 2013 game films vs Oregon and UCLA).  He may not be the best in coverage, but the Colts already have a 3 down ILB in Freeman, and Freeman already excels in coverage.  Skov is a playmaker and his speed does not appear to be an issue on film, in the Oregon film he handles the speed of Mariota just fine and he is one of the fastest QB's in the FBS.

Round 3:  Pierre Desir, CB, Lindenwood

People had questions about him heading into the Senior Bowl because he faced weaker division II opponents.  In the Senior Bowl however he blanketed WR all day, he had 2 passes thrown his way all game and still managed to get an interception.  Has the size and strength to play press corner, could really develope into a nice no. 2 corner.

Round 5:  Beau Allen, DT, Wisconsin

Big run stopping DT from Wisconsin, would fill in nicely as a rotational guy anywhere along the line.  Not much of a pass rusher, but can be disruptive in the run game.  Does his job of not giving up ground and taking up blockers to leave the LB's free to get to the QB.

Round 7:  Alden Darby, S, Arizona St.

Alden Darby has been one of my favorite prospects this year, good in coverage and can learn behind Bethea for a year or so.  His ability in coverage would allow Landry to stay in the box and do what he does best.  Had a strong year for Arizona St. and followed it up with a strong showing in the Shrine Game.

2014 Roster:

Offense:

QB - Andrew Luck, Matt Hasselbeck

HB - Vick Ballard, Donald Brown, Trent Richardson, Chris Rainey

FB - Stanley Havili

WR - Reggie Wayne, TY Hilton, Da'Rick Rogers, Griff Whalen, Lavon Brazill

TE - Dwayne Allen, Coby Fleener, Jack Doyle

LT - Anthony Castanzo, Joe Reitz

LG - Donald Thomas, Xavier Nixon

C - Brian de la Puente, Khaled Holmes

RG - Geoff Schwartz, Hugh Thornton

RT - Gosder Cherilus

Defense:

DE - Cory Redding, Linval Joseph

NT - Josh Chapman, Aubrayo Franklin

DT - Ricky Jean Francois, Montori Hughes, Beau Allen

LOLB - Eric Walden, Bjoern Werner

ILB - Jerrell Freeman, Shayne Skov, Josh McNary, Kelvin Sheppard

ROLB - Robert Mathis, Daniel Adongo, Cam Johnson

CB - Vontae Davis, Pierre Desir

CB - Greg Toler, Darius Butler, Josh Gordy

FS - LaRon Landry, Delano Howell, Sergio Brown

SS - Antoine Bethea, Alden Darby

Special Teams:

K - Adam Vinatieri

P - Pat McAfee

LS - Matt Overton

Roster Summary:

- At the offensive skill positions, the Colts stay the same.  I think with health, this area will not be concerned.

- On the offensive line, I upgraded the RG and C, and with Thomas returning back the LG position will be upgraded as well.  Fixes the biggest weakness for the offense.

- On the defensive line, I brought in Linval Joseph and drafted Beau Allen.  Both can help take up blockers and collapse the pocket to allow our LB's to do what they do.

- ILB is where I'm most excited, I think Skov compliments Freeman well, he has great instincts along the line and is strong enough to help collapse the pocket.  With McNary getting a full offseason I expect him to be better too.

- Did not change much with OLB's, if the defensive line and ILB's can do their job and collapse the pocket and not let the QB step up, then I think you will see increased production from the OLB's

- In the secondary I did not bring back Vaughn. Added Desir and Darby, who both excel in coverage at their respective positions.  Desir creates a nice backup plan incase Toler cannot stay healthy.

You don't think we need more pass rush? Or are you relying on Werner and better line play?

No I do think we need more, but I think it needs to come through the pocket collapsing, allowing the OLB to get to the QB easier. Skov can get good pressure up the middle and Joseph can also handle that as well.

I thought about adding another pass rusher via free agency, but I just didn't think we would have the money for it.

No I do think we need more, but I think it needs to come through the pocket collapsing, allowing the OLB to get to the QB easier. Skov can get good pressure up the middle and Joseph can also handle that as well.

I thought about adding another pass rusher via free agency, but I just didn't think we would have the money for it.

With Chapman playing more of a role, I'm hoping that helps the pass rush. I don't think we need to spend any money on it in free agency, unless a good vet is available for cheap (like Shaun Phillips was last year). But there are a ton of pass rushers in the draft and UDFA that will fit our scheme. I think having playmakers, as opposed to manufacturing a pass rush through the scheme, is important. I'd like for us to have a NASCAR package like the Seahawks do. We sub enough already, it's doable. 

With Chapman playing more of a role, I'm hoping that helps the pass rush. I don't think we need to spend any money on it in free agency, unless a good vet is available for cheap (like Shaun Phillips was last year). But there are a ton of pass rushers in the draft and UDFA that will fit our scheme. I think having playmakers, as opposed to manufacturing a pass rush through the scheme, is important. I'd like for us to have a NASCAR package like the Seahawks do. We sub enough already, it's doable. 

I agree.  Though I am intrigued to see what Cam Johnson and Adongo can do in their second years with the Colts.  I'm also curious to see if they give Sidbury another chance.  Between these guys, Werner and Walden (who could still learn some more moves from Mathis thereby becoming a better pass rusher) I definitely don't think we necessarily need to go after a high priced FA or high draft pick OLB (though if they did I wouldn't really complain).  However grabbing a late round pick or however many UDFA's we can get our hands on certainly wouldn't be a bad thing.

I agree with the order of the draft positions and the picks i just would have switched Skov with Smallwood or Christian Jones, both of those guys can cover.

See with Freeman and McNary alerady on the smaller side for ILB, and both excelling in coverage.  I feel what the Colts need in a ILB is a playmaker, and thats what Skov is in comparison to Smallwood.  I'm not saying I would be mad if we got Smallwood, I just think that Skov is more what the Colts need.

Here's game film of Shayne Skov and Smallwood, both from draft breakdown, and you tell me which one looks like the playmaker:

Shayne Skov:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=VQPQAhJdDGc

Yawin Smallwood:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=no1XGpRPfO0&feature=player_embedded

(Remember these are game films, not highlight films)

I feel as if people would watch both of these with an objective eye and not pay attention to the names Skov stands out as the playmaker, and to be honest the better player.

I'll be honest I'm not 100% sure what the NASCAR package is.

But I do agree that I would like to see the Colts pick up another playmaker for OLB, but with having to sign plenty of FA's and only having 4 draft picks, I just am not sure if we have the money or the room for it.

However, if we did sign or draft an OLB, I would not complain.  I have plenty of them in each round of my big board.

See with Freeman and McNary alerady on the smaller side for ILB, and both excelling in coverage.  I feel what the Colts need in a ILB is a playmaker, and thats what Skov is in comparison to Smallwood.  I'm not saying I would be mad if we got Smallwood, I just think that Skov is more what the Colts need.

Here's game film of Shayne Skov and Smallwood, both from draft breakdown, and you tell me which one looks like the playmaker:

Shayne Skov:

Yawin Smallwood:

I feel as if people would watch both of these with an objective eye and not pay attention to the names Skov stands out as the playmaker, and to be honest the better player.

I like Skov, personally, and every time I see Stanford play, he stands out. You call him a playmaker, and that's accurate. The problem is that he's not good in coverage.

I'll be honest I'm not 100% sure what the NASCAR package is.

But I do agree that I would like to see the Colts pick up another playmaker for OLB, but with having to sign plenty of FA's and only having 4 draft picks, I just am not sure if we have the money or the room for it.

However, if we did sign or draft an OLB, I would not complain.  I have plenty of them in each round of my big board.

The Nascar package is basically having 4 speedier edge rushers in a 4 down front instead of the typical 2 edge rushers and 2 DT's.  So the idea is to put the 4 best pass rushers and let them race (race ~ Nascar) to the QB. An example would be if the Colts used Werner - Walden - Cam Johnson - Mathis in a 4 man front to rush the QB.   It would have to be on an obvious passing down. :)  I do recall at least one time seeing a 3 man front of Mathis - Walden - Werner in an obvious passing down.  I wasn't a fan of the 3 man Nascar package because it was easier for them to be double teamed with just the 5 OL.  

I thought it was the Giants that first used the term Nascar Package though, not Seattle.  Could definitely be wrong about that though. :)

I agree.  Though I am intrigued to see what Cam Johnson and Adongo can do in their second years with the Colts.  I'm also curious to see if they give Sidbury another chance.  Between these guys, Werner and Walden (who could still learn some more moves from Mathis thereby becoming a better pass rusher) I definitely don't think we necessarily need to go after a high priced FA or high draft pick OLB (though if they did I wouldn't really complain).  However grabbing a late round pick or however many UDFA's we can get our hands on certainly wouldn't be a bad thing.

I've kind of written Sidbury off. Wouldn't be surprised if we bring him back, but I don't have him as a big part of our plans for next year. Cam and Adongo either, though they're both under contract. Walden is what he is. Werner should get better, but I felt last year that we needed more pass rushers, and then we traded Jerry Hughes away. So I definitely think we should have more pass rushers, and if you saw my mock, I think that comes through.

No sense going after high priced FAs, but I wouldn't mind a higher draft pick on one. I keep going back to what Polian said at the end of 2011, that we needed an infusion of young talent at key positions. It takes time, but this is where "best player available" comes in to play. I wouldn't pass up on a stud guy that's available who can rush the passer, just because we have some intriguing prospects on the roster already. 

The Nascar package is basically having 4 speedier edge rushers in a 4 down front instead of the typical 2 edge rushers and 2 DT's.  So the idea is to put the 4 best pass rushers and let them race (race ~ Nascar) to the QB. An example would be if the Colts used Werner - Walden - Cam Johnson - Mathis in a 4 man front to rush the QB.   It would have to be on an obvious passing down. :)  I do recall at least one time seeing a 3 man front of Mathis - Walden - Werner in an obvious passing down.  I wasn't a fan of the 3 man Nascar package because it was easier for them to be double teamed with just the 5 OL.  

I thought it was the Giants that first used the term Nascar Package though, not Seattle.  Could definitely be wrong about that though. :)

Beat me to it, good explanation. Yeah, the Giants did this in the Super Bowl in 2007 to beat the Pats. But they had guys like Justin Tuck and Michael Strahan, so there were really no weaknesses on run downs. Didn't have to be third and long for them to feel comfortable with it. They expanded on these principles in 2011, and that's when they first started calling it the NASCAR package, as far as I know.

It can be tricky to implement when you're a base 3-4, but when you have a guy like Mathis and two good ILBs, it gives you some leeway. Imagine a 2-4-5 with Werner opposite Mathis, and two guys in the middle who can rush the passer really well. We tried this in 2013 with Redding and RJF, and it wasn't bad, but I think we can take it to the next level with another edge rusher.

What Seattle does so well is hybrid 1-gap/2-gap fronts. They'll pick which gaps they want to attack, and play Over/Under fronts to force the matchups in their favor. And with Cliff Avril, Michael Bennett, Bruce Irvin and Chris Clemons, they definitely put pressure on the offensive line. 

Some reading if anyone wants more info: http://www.fieldgulls.com/2013/10/24/4987528/seahawks-nascar-defense-nfl-pete-carroll-dan-quinn

If we ran more 3-4 zone like the Steerlers do Skov would be a great pick but we don't. Teams will pass on us in early downs while were in our base defense and Skov will be a huge liability in man coverage. He would have to cover a an athletic TE, elusive RB, or fast WR crossing the middle. Exact same thing happened to Angerer and teams beat us with simple crossing routes.

Shayne Skov:

Yawin Smallwood:

I've kind of written Sidbury off. Wouldn't be surprised if we bring him back, but I don't have him as a big part of our plans for next year. Cam and Adongo either, though they're both under contract. Walden is what he is. Werner should get better, but I felt last year that we needed more pass rushers, and then we traded Jerry Hughes away. So I definitely think we should have more pass rushers, and if you saw my mock, I think that comes through.

No sense going after high priced FAs, but I wouldn't mind a higher draft pick on one. I keep going back to what Polian said at the end of 2011, that we needed an infusion of young talent at key positions. It takes time, but this is where "best player available" comes in to play. I wouldn't pass up on a stud guy that's available who can rush the passer, just because we have some intriguing prospects on the roster already. 

Oh absolutely, I agree with that whole heartedly.  Even after taking Werner last year in the first, I was still kind of hoping for another mid round pick in a guy like Damontre Moore, Corey Lemonier, Alex Okafor, Sam Montgomery or Jamie Collins.  Okafor, Montgomery and Lemonier were the only 3 still left I believe when our 3rd came up and they went with Thornton instead, which made perfect sense considering the state of the OL.  I was still hoping that one of those guys would still be available at our 4th pick but they all went shortly after we took Thornton.  I was all for taking a flyer on Brandon Jenkins though later in that draft and was a bit disappointed that we didn't.

So if there's a stud guy at any pick that wasn't expected to be there then by all means.  I just meant that I don't think we need to necessarily target one at any particular round if the right guy isn't there.

As for Sidbury, Johnson and Adongo...there is obviously risk with these guys since there's nothing proven about any of them.  It's just a personal feeling that they each have potential.  I'd especially like to see what Johnson can do with a full offseason, OTA's and preseason with the team.  

I get what you're saying about Walden being "what he is" but at the same time, I thought we got a better pass rush out of him than anticipated.  I thought he improved in that regard from the beginning of the season to the end, especially during the time when Werner was injured.  Looked like Mathis might have been teaching Walden a thing or two (like the spin move).  I'm not saying Walden will ever be a true pass rush threat but if he can learn a few more moves from Mathis then he might be able to be...well more than we expected him to be as a pass rusher when he was first signed.

Oh absolutely, I agree with that whole heartedly.  Even after taking Werner last year in the first, I was still kind of hoping for another mid round pick in a guy like Damontre Moore, Corey Lemonier, Alex Okafor, Sam Montgomery or Jamie Collins.  Okafor, Montgomery and Lemonier were the only 3 still left I believe when our 3rd came up and they went with Thornton instead, which made perfect sense considering the state of the OL.  I was still hoping that one of those guys would still be available at our 4th pick but they all went shortly after we took Thornton.  I was all for taking a flyer on Brandon Jenkins though later in that draft and was a bit disappointed that we didn't.

So if there's a stud guy at any pick that wasn't expected to be there then by all means.  I just meant that I don't think we need to necessarily target one at any particular round if the right guy isn't there.

As for Sidbury, Johnson and Adongo...there is obviously risk with these guys since there's nothing proven about any of them.  It's just a personal feeling that they each have potential.  I'd especially like to see what Johnson can do with a full offseason, OTA's and preseason with the team.  

I get what you're saying about Walden being "what he is" but at the same time, I thought we got a better pass rush out of him than anticipated.  I thought he improved in that regard from the beginning of the season to the end, especially during the time when Werner was injured.  Looked like Mathis might have been teaching Walden a thing or two (like the spin move).  I'm not saying Walden will ever be a true pass rush threat but if he can learn a few more moves from Mathis then he might be able to be...well more than we expected him to be as a pass rusher when he was first signed.

Agreed.

On Walden, I do think we got more out of him than we expected, particularly as a rusher. That's why I'm saying I don't think we should expect to get any more than that. A handful of sacks out of Walden is probably best case scenario. He had three last year.

I also wanted Lemonier and Montgomery. Montgomery washed out because of character, and that was the concern before he got drafted, so I bow to everyone who had him off their board because of his pre-draft comments. Lemonier went to the Niners, and did squat (another bit of evidence for people who are ready to write players off after one year). He probably would have played more for us, especially after Werner got hurt. But even with Aldon Smith missing a chunk of games, Lemonier didn't have much impact. Thornton was definitely a better pick, especially if he wins a starting job this year. Jamie Collins was another one, but the Pats took him in the second round, so he was never really an option.

Chelsea_Fc- 2 things:

1. How do you feel about Mata going to United?

And

2. I like your pick of Skov, he is a good run stopper (HB or QB- in fact vs UCLA- I remember him tackling 2 people at once).I would hope Skov is there in the 3rd so we can pick up Allen Robinson in the 2nd. If not then pick up Skov in the 2nd and pick up Sean Parker, Cody Hoffman,Justin Ellis and Corneilus Lucas( of course replace Robinson with Hoffman and move everyone down.)

All of the Seattle pass rushers are good but what makes them look great is that secondary. When you have the best CB in Sherman, best 2 safeties, top 5 slot CB, and upcoming young star #2 CB no one will be able to throw the ball. They also have Bobby Wagner who ran step for step with Jimmy Graham and is one of the top 7 ILB's. That secondary is arguably the greatest of all time it can make our pass rush look incredible.

Beat me to it, good explanation. Yeah, the Giants did this in the Super Bowl in 2007 to beat the Pats. But they had guys like Justin Tuck and Michael Strahan, so there were really no weaknesses on run downs. Didn't have to be third and long for them to feel comfortable with it. They expanded on these principles in 2011, and that's when they first started calling it the NASCAR package, as far as I know.

It can be tricky to implement when you're a base 3-4, but when you have a guy like Mathis and two good ILBs, it gives you some leeway. Imagine a 2-4-5 with Werner opposite Mathis, and two guys in the middle who can rush the passer really well. We tried this in 2013 with Redding and RJF, and it wasn't bad, but I think we can take it to the next level with another edge rusher.

What Seattle does so well is hybrid 1-gap/2-gap fronts. They'll pick which gaps they want to attack, and play Over/Under fronts to force the matchups in their favor. And with Cliff Avril, Michael Bennett, Bruce Irvin and Chris Clemons, they definitely put pressure on the offensive line. 

Some reading if anyone wants more info: http://www.fieldgulls.com/2013/10/24/4987528/seahawks-nascar-defense-nfl-pete-carroll-dan-quinn

Thank you for the explanation (and Jason), I get it now.  With that in mind, I wouldn't be opposed to a Van Noy in the 2nd or an Adrian Hubbard in the 5th.

If we were to get Van Noy in the 2nd that would push the priority of ILB to the 3rd or the 5th.  I feel that is one of the most important positions in the 3-4.  But would not be opposed to the idea of adding another pass rusher.

All of the Seattle pass rushers are good but what makes them look great is that secondary. When you have the best CB in Sherman, best 2 safeties, top 5 slot CB, and upcoming young star #2 CB no one will be able to throw the ball. They also have Bobby Wagner who ran step for step with Jimmy Graham and is one of the top 7 ILB's. That secondary is arguably the greatest of all time it can make our pass rush look incredible.

It's a symbiotic relationship, for sure, but I think it works more the other way around. A great pass rush makes a secondary look better. In Seattle's case, they have both. But I think it's a mistake to assume that they get a lot of coverage sacks. Their defensive front is incredible.

Chelsea_Fc- 2 things:

1. How do you feel about Mata going to United?

And

2. I like your pick of Skov, he is a good run stopper (HB or QB- in fact vs UCLA- I remember him tackling 2 people at once).I would hope Skov is there in the 3rd so we can pick up Allen Robinson in the 2nd. If not then pick up Skov in the 2nd and pick up Sean Parker, Cody Hoffman,Justin Ellis and Corneilus Lucas( of course replace Robinson with Hoffman and move everyone down.)

1.  Still very bitter about that, I have no idea why he fell out of favor with Jose.  And to sell him to ManU of all teams.  (Its about the comparison of trading Luck to the Patriots for some extra cap relief.)

2.  I wouldn't mind a WR in this draft, but honestly i see that as more of a luxery pick at this point.  With all the other holes the Colts need to fill on the defense and the offensive line, I am comfortable right now with the WR core we currently have.

Thank you for the explanation (and Jason), I get it now.  With that in mind, I wouldn't be opposed to a Van Noy in the 2nd or an Adrian Hubbard in the 5th.

If we were to get Van Noy in the 2nd that would push the priority of ILB to the 3rd or the 5th.  I feel that is one of the most important positions in the 3-4.  But would not be opposed to the idea of adding another pass rusher.

I think Van Noy could help in both areas. I'd love to see him as a hybrid backer for us.

Round 2:  Shayne Skov, ILB, Stanford

I know this is not the most popular pick, but I believe Skov could be just what this defense needs.  Skov is a force to be reckoned with in the middle (look at 2013 game films vs Oregon and UCLA).  He may not be the best in coverage, but the Colts already have a 3 down ILB in Freeman, and Freeman already excels in coverage.  Skov is a playmaker and his speed does not appear to be an issue on film, in the Oregon film he handles the speed of Mariota just fine and he is one of the fastest QB's in the FBS.

No he doesn't.

I want to start of by saying that I love, love, love the Skov pick. I've been a big fan of his for a few years and compare him a little to Kiko Alonso when he was at Oregon, not necessarily flashy, but makes plays and has massive motor. I like the DLP signing, although because we will have Thomas and Thornton at G next season I don't know whether that would make the signing of Schwartz a bit redundant. As for the rest of your draft, I like the Desir pick, he looked good in the Shrine Game. I think trying to get Darby in the 7th might be wishful thinking I think there will be at least one team that will like him enough to pick him around the late 5th early 6th. I would also liked to have seen a guy on the DL with some pass rush credentials.

As for the resignings, I don't like resigning Bethea, he is on the downward spiral and their a better players out there. Also I don't think we'll be able to keep Brown from finding a starting job somewhere.

Other than those gripes, I'm good with that.

What worries me about Skov is his knee. It sounds like he destroyed his knee in college and had serious rehab to get back to playing.

Yeah he did blow out his knee back in 2011, but he's been playing the past 2 seasons. This season he was finally looking back into pre-injury playing form.

Skov also is not as strong as I'd like, great instincts and nose for finding the ball but sometimes lacks the strength to get a ball carrier down, Not asked to drop back in coverage much either so thats a concern plus there is the knee injury I'd be worried about, We have seen what its done to Pat Angerer

Thanks for the input.

Maybe excels wasnt the right word for it, but for a LB he was better than average this season.

Well I think is was very relevant input given your completely misinformed, sweeping statement.

At very best he was average in coverage this season, and in certain games, he was downright horrible. Tennesee springs to mind when him and Angerer both got abused with slant routes all day.

Coverage from the ILB position is a major weakness in this team.

I don't know where some of these notions come from on this forum.

Well I think is was very relevant input given your completely misinformed, sweeping statement.

At very best he was average in coverage this season, and in certain games, he was downright horrible. Tennesee springs to mind when him and Angerer both got abused with slant routes all day.

Coverage from the ILB position is a major weakness in this team.

I don't know where some of these notions come from on this forum.

Ok you get to pick one game where he was poor, I get to pick a game where he was great.

The Kansas city game springs to mind.

It is not a misinformed view, Freeman is average to slightly above average in coverage. I already said excels was probably the wrong word to use. But Freeman isn't anywhere near as bad as your suggesting.

Ok you get to pick one game where he was poor, I get to pick a game where he was great.

The Kansas city game springs to mind.

It is not a misinformed view, Freeman is average to slightly above average in coverage. I already said excels was probably the wrong word to use. But Freeman isn't anywhere near as bad as your suggesting.

Of course it is misinformed.

What did he do in the Kansas City game is pass coverage? A tipped ball and an underthrown pass? What else?

Of course it is misinformed.

What did he do in the Kansas City game is pass coverage? A tipped ball and an underthrown pass? What else?

This is the last I'm gonna talk about this, because wete both going to have different views.

But he ran well with the TE's all game, like he has in many games.

If you don't think so, cool. That's your view, but I don't feel that my view is misinformed.

We won't get Brown and Bethea back that easy.

Of the two I would rather keep brown I think he has earned the money but Bethea not that he has not done a lot for the colts but it looked like he was lost in coverage at times doesn't seem to be as quick as he used to be so I would rather let Bethea walk and keep brown.

Of the two I would rather keep brown I think he has earned the money but Bethea not that he has not done a lot for the colts but it looked like he was lost in coverage at times doesn't seem to be as quick as he used to be so I would rather let Bethea walk and keep brown.

I don't think Brown would come back even if we offered him more money than another team. He wants to start, not be 3rd string again.

I don't think Brown would come back even if we offered him more money than another team. He wants to start, not be 3rd string again.

I'll be beyond stunned if any team offers to make Brown their #1.    He's not one.    He can't stay healthy/productive enough to be a #1.    Other teams will know this.

I think we can retain him for something in the 3/10, or 3/11 range.    If he's getting $4 Mill per over 3 years, I'll be very surprised.

Not saying it's impossible,  but I don't think it's likely....

This is the last I'm gonna talk about this, because wete both going to have different views.

But he ran well with the TE's all game, like he has in many games.

If you don't think so, cool. That's your view, but I don't feel that my view is misinformed.

For some reason there are several on this forum that think that Freeman is good in coverage (he is not), and think that they can get Skov or one of the other run stuffing 2 down ILBs and that Freeman in going to be the coverage ILB.  Coverage is one the weakest parts of Freeman's game ... saying he is "average" is being very generous. 

If you don't believe several members of this forum who have pointed this out, you can also look at PFF which has Freeman ranked #45 out of 55 3/4  ILBs in coverage; even Angerer is ranked higher (#37).