Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Peyton Can Play For Six More Years If Doctors Give Him A Clean Bill Of Health

GoGoColts

Yes he was.. It's easy to ignore draft hype when you're always have a 12-4 or better season.. It happens EVERY year.. hes just the talk of this year... Last year it was Cam Newton.. year before that was Bradford.. Its as constant as the seaons

There were HUGE questions about Newton's ability to play on the pro level as there were for Bradford who was coming from a non pass oriented school of OU. Please review the info on Luck...

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There were HUGE questions about Newton's ability to play on the pro level as there were for Bradford who was coming from a non pass oriented school of OU. Please review the info on Luck...

I don't agree with you on your view of the coaching situation, but I do agree with you on Luck. Many people here make a lot of uneducated statements on the kid and compare him to a bunch of losers thinking their being smart. There has not been a prospect rated as high as Luck since John Elway, that right, not even the great Peyton Manning was rated as high as Luck. That don't mean that Luck automatically turns into Elway but it just shows when people say that Bush, Russell, Leaf, or Bradford was rated as high as Luck is, they simply have no idea what they're talking about.

Its kind of silly to create a thread with the premise that you have new information from a credible source(doctor) regarding the status of Peyton......and then we open the thread to find this is all speculation and guess work on your part. Give me a break.

Its kind of silly to create a thread with the premise that you have new information from a credible source(doctor) regarding the status of Peyton......and then we open the thread to find this is all speculation and guess work on your part. Give me a break.

the big "IF" and "Could" in the title identifies what has been said as speculation. What inside knowledge has been claimed?

I think what we need is some understanding here. This is a pro sport where as any player gets older his abilities begin to deminish. Add into that the problem of an injury that requires a player to miss an entire season then you have to know the abilities are only going to diminish are a stronger rate. What makes Peyton great is his mental ability to read and break down defensives and that isn't something that is going to deminish, however the body isn't going to be able to take the punishment, nor make all the plays a younger body can. I think this is going to hurt Peyton, he is still going to be able to know what to do, but physically is going to struggle to do it. Now we are presented with the chance of finding a possible replacement for him, and thus while tough, for the long term viability of the franchise is something you must do, no matter what Peyton thinks or the doctors think.

the big "IF" and "Could" in the title identifies what has been said as speculation. What inside knowledge has been claimed?

Actually you typed Peyton CAN play for six more years IF doctors clear him. If you have no inside knowledge to the situation, how the heck can you claim to know anything regarding it?

Yes he was.. It's easy to ignore draft hype when you're always have a 12-4 or better season.. It happens EVERY year.. hes just the talk of this year... Last year it was Cam Newton.. year before that was Bradford.. Its as constant as the seaons

Do you pay attention to how they rate players when it comes to people coming out of college? To be honest, it sounds like YOU have been listening to ESPN and listening to the hype of every QB that comes out. No one in there right mind would compare Cam Newton to Andrew Luck nor Sam Bradford.

It is my expectation that Peyton Manning comes back healthy and if he is indeed healthy, that he can easily perform at an elite level for another 4 to 5 years. He is WAY better than Farve ever was, so given health, there is no reason why Manning cannot perform at a top notch level every bit as long as Farve did.

Whether Manning has the desire to play so long, that I do not know. He did sign a 4 year contract, though, did he not, in which case, that gives him three more years to shine.

I do not buy into the notion that the Manning era is now closed. I expect a minimum of three more great years from Manning.

No one really knows how many good years Manning has IF he comes back at all. He may re-injure his neck the first game. He has already re-injured it several times the last few seasons. If you are going to compare him with other athletes then compare him with guys that are in there mid to late 30's coming back from a major surgical procedure. I really think he will return and have a 2 or 3 good years. Will he ever be the same QB that were are used to? Too many questions to not hedge your bet with a first round QB in this draft. Whether it's Luck or Barkley or someone else, now is the time to take a QB with real starting potential (not a 4th round backup). All this talk of Manning not wanting the future franchise waiting on the sidelines is nonsense. So what! It may make him play better, may not, but if I am the Colts having that guy in the waiting is a safer bet than what we have now, which is 0-8 with a back-up QB. He will get hurt again, he's not mobile and we have a crappy line. It's just a matter of time. The team has to prepare for the worst, not pray for the best.

It is my expectation that Peyton Manning comes back healthy and if he is indeed healthy, that he can easily perform at an elite level for another 4 to 5 years. He is WAY better than Farve ever was, so given health, there is no reason why Manning cannot perform at a top notch level every bit as long as Farve did.

Whether Manning has the desire to play so long, that I do not know. He did sign a 4 year contract, though, did he not, in which case, that gives him three more years to shine.

I do not buy into the notion that the Manning era is now closed. I expect a minimum of three more great years from Manning.

You might be right, but you still have to go with Luck if given the opportunity because it gives you more years of potential strong play over Manning.

Lol if you're comparing the same hype that is coming from Luck to Bradord and Newton then I think it is you who needs to review the info on luck. hah.

What I would like to see... Lets take the 1st overall pick and draft Trent Richardson out of Alabama. ... Peyton will be back and back for a while.. lets just not go overboard and talk ourselves into a bust at the QB position.

This is the worst post or suggestion I've ever heard? At least pick up some future picks for the #1 Luck pick. Like: 3 total 1st rounders, and 2 2nd rounders.... Let's not go overboard for a QB bust... instead lets trade the draft bounty of the century for 1 HB bust.

By all accounts, all the reports by doctors have Manning making a full recovery. Just based on the type of nerve injury I know that he has, he should recover from that. The only question at this point us, how fully will it recover? But I haven't seen any evidence yet that says it won't be a full recovery.

And I haven't seen any evidence yet that says it will be a full recovery. The real questions for him to overcome are: How quickly will it injure again? Will it effect his throwing power, and with every harder throw will it further the injury reoccurrence? And the last question is, which dirty AFC defensive player will keep taking shots at him to make sure he is injured again?

And I haven't seen any evidence yet that says it will be a full recovery. The real questions for him to overcome are: How quickly will it injure again? Will it effect his throwing power, and with every harder throw will it further the injury reoccurrence? And the last question is, which dirty AFC defensive player will keep taking shots at him to make sure he is injured again?

Joseph Maroon thinks he'll make a full recovery. He's a pretty esteemed neurosurgeon from a top neurosurgical program, for what it's worth.

http://thechart.blog...nnings-surgery/

In any event, I don't think the weakness will get worse, provided they took care of the problem in the first place.

The Colts front office had better decide quickly as to what they want to do with Manning because they do have an out with him before they have to pay him that huge bonus. I believe they owe it to him sometime after the draft in 2012 and once that's paid he basically has the Colts franchise wrapped around his finger for the next four years, ouch. Go Colts!!!

Joseph Maroon thinks he'll make a full recovery. He's a pretty esteemed neurosurgeon from a top neurosurgical program, for what it's worth.

http://thechart.blog...nnings-surgery/

In any event, I don't think the weakness will get worse, provided they took care of the problem in the first place.

Maroon is respected, as is Fessler (Manning's surgeon).

The simple truth, stated time and again, is that Manning will be allowed to play once he demonstrates robust bone fusion, which would be a bit unlikely and certainly subjective during this season. The real question is whether or not his C7 nerve has enough recovery to allow excellent pro-qb arm strength. He will never have a "clean bill of health" which is akin to saying "he has no medical issues."

He may develop adjacent-level problems, which usually takes 5-15 years after a fusion and is not inevitable, but I have no idea how playing football has this apply (nor do I know anything about his MRI or other medical facts). I think Manning probably has 3-4 years left to play, and hopefully that is on a high level. I may be wildly inaccurate in this estimation, but it's a bit inappropriate to post a new thread with the title of this one with not a shred of new information, is it not?

If they can get luck they probably will. Many qb scouts say they is they best they have ever scouted, not just the best of these last few years.

Maroon is respected, as is Fessler (Manning's surgeon).

The simple truth, stated time and again, is that Manning will be allowed to play once he demonstrates robust bone fusion, which would be a bit unlikely and certainly subjective during this season. The real question is whether or not his C7 nerve has enough recovery to allow excellent pro-qb arm strength. He will never have a "clean bill of health" which is akin to saying "he has no medical issues."

He may develop adjacent-level problems, which usually takes 5-15 years after a fusion and is not inevitable, but I have no idea how playing football has this apply (nor do I know anything about his MRI or other medical facts). I think Manning probably has 3-4 years left to play, and hopefully that is on a high level. I may be wildly inaccurate in this estimation, but it's a bit inappropriate to post a new thread with the title of this one with not a shred of new information, is it not?

If they can get luck they probably will. Many qb scouts say they is they best they have ever scouted, not just the best of these last few years.

Thanks for the info. Peyton is definitely approaching the finish line of his great career so we better start formulating a plan now to deal with life after Peyton. I agree about Luck. You have to take him if you get the chance.

Just my 2c, however long Peyton plays be it 2 (realistically) or 3 I would rather see him to the best of his abilities and preferably go out on a high rather than a bad season. It would be sad to see one of the best to play the position, play out a bad season.

IF makes it pretty clear that I am making a supposition. Grow up.

But you state that Peyton can play for 6 more years. Even if doctors clear him that is just your opinion. You state it like it's some kind of fact. But the reality is, and many people here seem to be stating, they don't believe Peyton could play that long. I happen to agree with them. I think his physical abilities will drop off enough in the next 3-4 years that you won't want to watch him play. It will begin to get painful as you see him not being able to do what he once could.

Favre could probably play another 2-3 years on a team that provided him protection. Wouldn't be pretty. Jeff Georgs says he can still play. But father time has a way of taking the ability away and too many times the player himself is the last to see.

From another thread - statement from Bill Polian concerning Peyton:

At 0-8 and with the playoffs seemingly out of reach, there's one big reason to push Manning to practice -- finding out how close Indy's franchise quarterback is to 100 percent.

"
That is much more important to us because we know he's not going to play six or seven more years,
" Polian said, reiterating that Manning is nearing the end of his career.

It appears the Colts organization isn't expecting 6 more years either.

The Colts front office had better decide quickly as to what they want to do with Manning because they do have an out with him before they have to pay him that huge bonus. I believe they owe it to him sometime after the draft in 2012 and once that's paid he basically has the Colts franchise wrapped around his finger for the next four years, ouch. Go Colts!!!

I'm kinda mad at Irsay for not giving Peyton the larger paycut that Peyton wanted.

At best Manning will finish out his current contract, which was a 5 year deal. At most he'll play 4 more years, and then retire.

^^^ This ^^^ ... If he gets a running game, receivers running well after catches, and the O-line grow up he could hang around longer than you think. Remember #18 only gets sacked like once a game by average and doesn't get hit as often as other QB's but we need to see what he's like nd how he's feelin

. The real question is whether or not his C7 nerve has enough recovery to allow excellent pro-qb arm strength. He will never have a "clean bill of health" which is akin to saying "he has no medical issues."

Its about time we had someone talk sense on here. Everyone seems to be in denial that Manning is not a SuperGod sent to Indy to play football for several hundred years. Its time to rebuild this team, Add Manning to a 0-16 team and that still does not equal a superbowl for his last 2-3 years. Its time we let him move on and we move on.

Well, it is true. I know the industry is a "what have you done for me lately" type thing, but not everyone thinks like that. Maybe some people have a sense of loyalty and consider who has brought their team and city a trophy and a new stadium and tons of revenue and so much more that I cannot even list (oh, I forgot...the children's hospital and foundation).

I don't care who you are, you cannot deny the absolute fact that Peyton Manning makes this team. It is unsettling how MUCH so and how badly they perform without him. It should not be all on him. But he makes all of them (both on the field and on the sidelines - yes, I mean coaches) better.

He came here a rookie, stepped on the field a rookie, turned this franchise into a consistent winner and played every game until this season when he was forced (after playing hurt for quite some time now and STILL winning) to not play. Look where we are. ((insert toilet emoticon here))

No, just having Peyton back isn't going to fix everything. But not having Peyton is going to break it all.

Anyone who wishes to have Peyton play for another team? :ttth: Truly? Really? Yeah...right. :nono2:

But you state that Peyton can play for 6 more years. Even if doctors clear him that is just your opinion. You state it like it's some kind of fact. But the reality is, and many people here seem to be stating, they don't believe Peyton could play that long. I happen to agree with them. I think his physical abilities will drop off enough in the next 3-4 years that you won't want to watch him play. It will begin to get painful as you see him not being able to do what he once could.

Favre could probably play another 2-3 years on a team that provided him protection. Wouldn't be pretty. Jeff Georgs says he can still play. But father time has a way of taking the ability away and too many times the player himself is the last to see.

I see tears coming from your eyes behind he computer screen.

I am ashamed to read this. You all might as well walk up to Peyton Manning and spit on his shoes for talking like this. Do you not realize what he has done for the Colts? You are all just willing to let him go and write him off and hope for his retirement so we can get some kid out of Stanford which plays in one of the worst conferences in the NCAA. Is he going to spend hours reviewing tape or coming up with audibles for certain situations.. is he going to be able to read the defense and expose zone vs man coverage before the ball is even snapped? Is he going to rally in an AFC championship game and take us to the superbowl? We don't even know him... I trust in Peyton. We will become as abysmal as the St. Louis Rams. Sam Bradford was just as hyped as Andrew Luck and now look at him.. hes average and will probably never win a superbowl. All of the over-hyped guys in the draft end up being failures.. example.. Brady Quinn... Matt Leinart.. David Carr.. (remember him) J. Russel.. Vince Young.. I could go on and on and on... Tom Brady was late round 199th overall pick and I don't need to explain anything else.. Arguably he and Peyton are the greatest of our generation. Andrew Luck will be another addition to the long long list of failures that were over hyped. I don't want the Colts to be the victim of a bust like that. What I would like to see... Lets take the 1st overall pick and draft Trent Richardson out of Alabama. We would finally have a star running back to take pressure off of the Colts passing game. The defense is fine.. Let me tell you whats going on with the D. They are not playing. Why should they? They force a 3 and out just to get right back on the field 2 minutes later after Painter blows another drive with a pick or inconsistency... If 18 were playing that defense would be making plays... take the Saints game for example... 63-7... what happened? Well obviously the defense knew it would only be able to stop so much of a saints attack from the air and that the offense would have to score.. (in painter they do not trust.) So why even try when you can't match an offense like that? Lets be honest we have never won games with defense.. we always outscore our opponents with Offense. Now without 18 our way of winning is broken.. its like a v8 engine running on half cylinders. He is 99 percent of the team and it is showing. Lets wait and see... Peyton will be back and back for a while.. lets just not go overboard and talk ourselves into a bust at the QB position.

Sorry - I didn't read your post.

Paragraphs are your friend.

Seems like you might have had some good points...............

Correct - I never got an answer to my request re "where did 6 come from; why not 7?". Just a troll, I suppose.