DT Linval Joseph 4 year $18MM

ILB Karlos Dansby  3 year $12MM

OG Travelle Wharton 2 year $6MM

OW Dexter McCluster  3 year $6MM

C Evan Deitrich-Smith 5 year $30MM

Cap space after these moves: ~$5,000,000

NFL Draft:

2. Lamarcus Joyner, DB, FSU

Fast, undersized (5'8") playmaker who plays like he's 6'2". Versatile. Much like Tyrann Mathieu, Joyner will probably have to play safety in the NFL, but his versatility should allow him to play CB (useful for when Toler get's injured) and LB when dropped into the box. He has great range and athleticism. Overly aggressive at times.

3. Justin Ellis, NT, Louisiana Tech

This guy was my sleeper pick for the 6th-7th round, but after putting on a clinic at the shrine bowl he's being talked about as a possible day 2 pick now. Big, athletic, powerful. All the physical talent needed to be a dominant NT at the next level. A great prospect to pair with Chapman.

5. Aaron Colvin, CB, OU

7. Andrew Jackson, ILB, Western Kentucky

As you can see, I'm pushing off WR for one more season. 

Salary Cap as of now: $34,951,226

Player cut:

C Samson Satele

This frees up $4MM in cap space putting the total at $38,531,226

Re-signed players:

CB Vontae Davis: 5 year $40MM

OG Reitz 1 year $1.33MM

CB Gordy: 1 year $1.33MM

ILB Conner: 1 year $1MM

OLB Cam Johnson: 1 year $750K

P McAfee 4 year $14 million

K AV 1 year $2MM

Cap space after these moves: $22,871,226

Players signed via FA:

NFL Draft:

Fast, undersized (5'8") playmaker who plays like he's 6'2". Versatile. Much like Tyrann Mathieu, Joyner will probably have to play safety in the NFL, but his versatility should allow him to play CB (useful for when Toler get's injured) and LB when dropped into the box. He has great range and athleticism. Overly aggressive at times.

This guy was my sleeper pick for the 6th-7th round, but after putting on a clinic at the shrine bowl he's being talked about as a possible day 2 pick now. Big, athletic, powerful. All the physical talent needed to be a dominant NT at the next level. A great prospect to pair with Chapman.

5. Aaron Colvin, CB, OU

I like it, but I don't think we will bring Conner back.

The salary cap calculator says differently. Cutting Satele gives us $38MM according to them. Am I doing something wrong?

I must have done something wrong. I'm not sure what, though. Maybe something changed. I was using spotrac.com and overthecap.com, and I came up with $42m yesterday. Now I'm coming up with your $38m. Hmm...

Oh well, carry on.

Edit: I believe I double counted the savings from cutting Satele. Your numbers are fine. My bad.

Edited by Superman

Joyner is too short, he's a good tackler but when the ball is in the air he's at a huge disadvantage. The difference in Mathieu is that he has hands like a WR and he's a great kick and punt returner. I would much rather have a CB in the 2nd because of Toler injury history and inconsistent play. Colvin would be a steal in the 5th if he was healthy but coming off a ACL injury, he will probably miss the entire season and idk if Grigson wants another injured CB.   

As far as free agency Arthur Jones would be a better fit he's a natural 3-4 DE, Joseph is more of a 4-3 DT. Dansby had a great year but he'll be 33, Donald Butler would be a good option.

Joyner is too short, he's a good tackler but when the ball is in the air he's at a huge disadvantage. The difference in Mathieu is that he has hands like a WR and he's a great kick and punt returner. I would much rather have a CB in the 2nd because of Toler injury history and inconsistent play. Colvin would be a steal in the 5th if he was healthy but coming off a ACL injury, he will probably miss the entire season and idk if Grigson wants another injured CB.

As far as free agency Arthur Jones would be a better fit he's a natural 3-4 DE, Joseph is more of a 4-3 DT. Dansby had a great year but he'll be 33, Donald Butler would be a good option.

Joyner is a good KR as well. Mathieu didn't even return kicks in college.

I know but that part of Matheiu game is why he was drafted so high it wasn't just because he was a safety. Joyner at 5'8 190 lbs is just too small for a safety imo, he won't be able to do much when the ball is in the air especially vs a big TE running a seam route.

Joyner is a good KR as well. Mathieu didn't even return kicks in college.

I know but that part of Matheiu game is why he was drafted so high it wasn't just because he was a safety. Joyner at 5'8 190 lbs is just too small for a safety imo, he won't be able to do much when the ball is in the air especially vs a big TE running a seam route.

what are your thoughts on Ed Reynolds from Stanford? I haven't seen much of him, but I've heard good things.

I like drafting a CB in the second round, but I think someone needs to be brought in to shore up the safety position or the secondary will suffer.  That and the RB position seems risky relying on Vick off ACL surgery and TR who had his struggles.

I like drafting a CB in the second round, but I think someone needs to be brought in to shore up the safety position or the secondary will suffer.  That and the RB position seems risky relying on Vick off ACL surgery and TR who had his struggles.

Well, Joyner would play FS in my scenario.

I'd rather have Reynolds, Joyner is good but a 5'8" Safety that plays a little to wreckless with hisbody?.....Yeah....been there twice now...With Sanders and Boyett...Give me a 6'2 Safety who can hit and cover over a 5'8-9 Safety who can hit and cover any day

Player cut:

C Samson Satele

Re-signed players:

OG Reitz 1 year $1.33MM

K AV 1 year $2MM

Players signed via FA:

NFL Draft:

5. Aaron Colvin, CB, OU

I would push receiver off 1 more year as well! Also think I would rather an IIB with the 2nd pick!

I'd rather have Reynolds, Joyner is good but a 5'8" Safety that plays a little to wreckless with hisbody?.....Yeah....been there twice now...With Sanders and Boyett...Give me a 6'2 Safety who can hit and cover over a 5'8-9 Safety who can hit and cover any day

Reynolds has an injury history and is not as versatile. That's why I chose Joyner over him. No to mention that he can field kicks as well.

Reynolds has an injury history and is not as versatile. That's why I chose Joyner over him. No to mention that he can field kicks as well.

Good point, I think I'd get a Safety as an undrafted FA with potential, late pick with potential or in FA....Hoping Byrd but likely unrealistic....Bills will release a couple players to free up cap space rather then release him (Manny Lawson would be a candidate to be released with the emergence of Hughes)....Thinking it will be Bethea actually

Player cut:

C Samson Satele

Re-signed players:

OG Reitz 1 year $1.33MM

K AV 1 year $2MM

Players signed via FA:

NFL Draft:

5. Aaron Colvin, CB, OU

I agree Satele should be cut. Would LOVE Dansby, and McCluster. I'd prefer Mack at C but I don't know how realistic that is. I like your list though. I'm tempted to do one of these myself, but I would be terrible at guessing draft picks.

I like Ed Reynolds he's the 2nd best safety in the draft. Has great size, fast and physical, was great covering TE's. He won't make it to our pick, he's projected to go late 1st early 2nd. 

what are your thoughts on Ed Reynolds from Stanford? I haven't seen much of him, but I've heard good things.

yes. That's more specifically why I dislike it. 

Why? He's  not going to be able to play as a full-time CB in the NFL at his size, safety will be his natural position. Do you not just like him because of his size? Because I could understand that.

Why? He's  not going to be able to play as a full-time CB in the NFL at his size, safety will be his natural position. Do you not just like him because of his size? Because I could understand that.

At his size he cannot play Cb or FS in the Nfl. He would not be able to be cross matched with Te's or take down a RB/Te coming at him. Unless he is Bob Sanders. I just don't think he'd have much coverage or tackling ability 

At his size he cannot play Cb or FS in the Nfl. He would not be able to be cross matched with Te's or take down a RB/Te coming at him. Unless he is Bob Sanders. I just don't think he'd have much coverage or tackling ability 

Tyrann Mathieu is the same size and dominated at FS for the Cards. Antoine Winfield was 5'9". Palamulu is like 5'9".

There have been plenty of small players to be good in the NFL.

Go watch some of this guy. He hits like a truck and is great in coverage. 

Tyrann Mathieu is the same size and dominated at FS for the Cards. Antoine Winfield was 5'9". Palamulu is like 5'9".

Way to much of a risk for a second rounder to hope that he pans out like the few small guys that have. 

Polumalu (5'10") was also playing as a safety in college, and has some mass on him. 

Way to much of a risk for a second rounder to hope that he pans out like the few small guys that have. 

Polumalu (5'10") was also playing as a safety in college, and has some mass on him. 

I'm leaning towards Ed Reynolds (Stanford) now anyway. The only question is if he's available at our pick.

I'm leaning towards Ed Reynolds (Stanford) now anyway. The only question is if he's available at our pick.

Not sure what round you're looking for Reynolds, but my hunch -- at this point -- is that Reynolds won't get picked until the 4th or 5th round.

He was tremendous in 2012....   but seemed to mostly disappear in 2013.

Some say opposing teams didn't throw anywhere near him....   I'm not sure that was the case....

First,  he's primarily a center fielder.   He's better on pass coverage than with run support.   On run support, he's very poor.  Takes poor angles and gets burned often and when he engages the runner/receiver, he often fails to wrap-up....

I think the combine may reveal more...  and individual workouts.

I don't think he's had a terrible injury history...   he had a broken leg (I think in HS) which scared off a lot of colleges, but not Stanford.    And I think he had one bad injury while at Stanford and missed a season.   But played the last two years pretty much injury free...

I see him as a mid-round pick....  I'd be very cautious with using one of our two premium picks on him.

Unless we only use our FS as a Center Fielder and not much in any other way....   but I don't get that sense...

Hey, I could be wrong,  and often am!!

Not sure what round you're looking for Reynolds, but my hunch -- at this point -- is that Reynolds won't get picked until the 4th or 5th round.

He was tremendous in 2012....   but seemed to mostly disappear in 2013.

Some say opposing teams didn't throw anywhere near him....   I'm not sure that was the case....

First,  he's primarily a center fielder.   He's better on pass coverage than with run support.   On run support, he's very poor.  Takes poor angles and gets burned often and when he engages the runner/receiver, he often fails to wrap-up....

I think the combine may reveal more...  and individual workouts.

I don't think he's had a terrible injury history...   he had a broken leg (I think in HS) which scared off a lot of colleges, but not Stanford.    And I think he had one bad injury while at Stanford and missed a season.   But played the last two years pretty much injury free...

I see him as a mid-round pick....  I'd be very cautious with using one of our two premium picks on him.

Unless we only use our FS as a Center Fielder and not much in any other way....   but I don't get that sense...

Hey, I could be wrong,  and often am!!

CBS has him projected as a 1st-2nd rounder and everywhere I;ve looked has him as the 3rd best safety behind Clinton-Dix and Pryor.

CBS has him projected as a 1st-2nd rounder and everywhere I;ve looked has him as the 3rd best safety behind Clinton-Dix and Pryor.

I know....

I think McShay has him toward R4-5....

Not sure about Kiper, though he does have Reynolds currently in his top-10...

We'll see how much they get revived over the next 4 months....

Most in the Stanford community were very disappointed with his 2013 year....    Very.

I highly doubt a 3rd rounder will need to be spent on Ellis. I bet he could be had for a 5th rounder. That being said, I doubt we draft him. We have Chapman and Hughes. I doubt we use one of the scant few draft selections we have on him.

A guy I would be interested in is Austin Wentworth OT Fresno State. He was a good left tackle, but apparently stood out at Guard. He might be a good 3rd round option. It would give us a good, young interior of Thornton, Holmes, and Wentworth. We could also focus all of our free agency on defense, and reserve the draft for offense.

IF, Jordan Matthews lasts until the early 2nd round, I would look at trading up from the second round to get him. I would consider offering our 2nd round pick in 2015. He is (as of right now) the only player I would look to trade up for. It would be tremendous for him to have a year to learn from Wayne. If we can pull this off, I really feel we could get a 4th round pick for Brazill.

A FS with ball skills and a hitter sounds great. Betting against this size to be durable in the NFL.

My 2nd pick would be a worthy DB, next any very worthy defensive player.

A 3-4 DE, ILB, a PRusher. We need help everywhere with NT last on the list with Chapman, Hughes, RJF there.

3rd RD might best for the secondary guy.

An awful lot of highly rated LT`s in this draft. I don`t see Castonzo EVER being a good pass blocker.

Drafting a guy with better feet and quickness than him and paying him 2nd round $$$ makes great sense rather than signing Cast to a FA deal after next season and locking in that Mediocrity. I know we need the D but you would be freeing up probably $5M plus to sign a player/s more gifted than Castonzo is at his position. Hate on.

This is a GM who CHOSE Satele, McGlynn, Link and kept Olson in 2012. Total Bufoonery! So lol!

Love how you drafted all defense. I feel like we should draft defense especially backs, because Pagano has such a good reputation for developing and coaching up players on the defensive side of the ball primarily backs. that being said heres my mock

2. Kyle Fuller CB Virgina Tech or Dion Bailey S USC (both physical tall DBs with speed, wrap up tackling (see laron landry), and ability to play run) I say take bpa whoever that is among the two I'm not sure.

3. Yawin Smallwood or Shayne Skov both ILB ( both tall and have ability to play pass coverage. I say take whoever is better at coverage)

5. Deandre Coleman DE/DT (bit of a stretch at this late stage of draft, but he seems to always fall to me in my mocks here so well take him. Big hard nose defender who can create double teams and wreak havoc on linemen to get our lbers free to make tackles.)

6. Bennet Jackson CB Notre Dame ( has all the measurable 6'1 4.5-40yd, we really need upgrades over vaughn, toler, and butlers only good in nickel)

7. Dri Archer or Jeremy Gallon (both scatbacks, speed return, sproles like players)

I'd much rather use free agency to gut the whole interior offensive line. Satele/Mcglynn gone. Thornton will stay obviously hes not making much. Idk if we stand to gain anything from cutting Thomas. I know everyone here is on his jock, but he was mostly a backup before coming who played two games here. Obviously Grigs o-line talent eval suck so spend the money on OL who we KNOW can play. It would be so stupid to not do this imo. IF youre going to insist we are a power run team, then go out and get some personel that make it possible. As often as Luck threw the ball to say we are a power run team is *ic. You want to run, great. Put down the cash on players you KNOW will make it happen and Not career backups and 3rd round unproven picks.

Love how you drafted all defense. I feel like we should draft defense especially backs, because Pagano has such a good reputation for developing and coaching up players on the defensive side of the ball primarily backs. that being said heres my mock

2. Kyle Fuller CB Virgina Tech or Dion Bailey S USC (both physical tall DBs with speed, wrap up tackling (see laron landry), and ability to play run) I say take bpa whoever that is among the two I'm not sure.

3. Yawin Smallwood or Shayne Skov both ILB ( both tall and have ability to play pass coverage. I say take whoever is better at coverage)

5. Deandre Coleman DE/DT (bit of a stretch at this late stage of draft, but he seems to always fall to me in my mocks here so well take him. Big hard nose defender who can create double teams and wreak havoc on linemen to get our lbers free to make tackles.)

6. Bennet Jackson CB Notre Dame ( has all the measurable 6'1 4.5-40yd, we really need upgrades over vaughn, toler, and butlers only good in nickel)

7. Dri Archer or Jeremy Gallon (both scatbacks, speed return, sproles like players)

I'd much rather use free agency to gut the whole interior offensive line. Satele/Mcglynn gone. Thornton will stay obviously hes not making much. Idk if we stand to gain anything from cutting Thomas. I know everyone here is on his jock, but he was mostly a backup before coming who played two games here. Obviously Grigs o-line talent eval suck so spend the money on OL who we KNOW can play. It would be so stupid to not do this imo. IF youre going to insist we are a power run team, then go out and get some personel that make it possible. As often as Luck threw the ball to say we are a power run team is *ic. You want to run, great. Put down the cash on players you KNOW will make it happen and Not career backups and 3rd round unproven picks.

I'm with you, would like a Defense heavy draft this time. 

IMO, Smallwood and Skov do not make it out of the 2nd round.  Both do well against the run, with Smallwood better in coverage.

My 2nd round pick would be Smallwood.

In the 3rd round, Fuller would be good or as pointed out in other Draft Threads, Keith McGill CB out of Utah.

Is 6'2" and around 205, and everything I have seen on him is that he is a solid CB

I like your 5th rounder in DeAndre Coleman.

6th round, I was looking at Sean Parker, Safety out of Washington. 5'10" and around 190. Was solid in coverage and against the run.

Am not sure about 7th round yet.

UDFAs I am looking at are:

Aaron Colvin CB Oklahoma. Is 6' and around 180.  Was good in 2012, but dropped off this year (injury?). Tore ACL? at E/W Shrine practice.  Pick-up and give him a year to recover like Chapman.

Jordan Zumwait, ILB UCLA. Is 6'4" and 235.  Loves to hit and can cover

There is a few WRs I am looking at as UDFAs.

IMO, we do not need to draft a WR for awhile, but need one on PS to develop and just incase of injuries.

I'm with you, would like a Defense heavy draft this time. 

IMO, Smallwood and Skov do not make it out of the 2nd round.  Both do well against the run, with Smallwood better in coverage.

My 2nd round pick would be Smallwood.

In the 3rd round, Fuller would be good or as pointed out in other Draft Threads, Keith McGill CB out of Utah.

Is 6'2" and around 205, and everything I have seen on him is that he is a solid CB

I like your 5th rounder in DeAndre Coleman.

6th round, I was looking at Sean Parker, Safety out of Washington. 5'10" and around 190. Was solid in coverage and against the run.

Am not sure about 7th round yet.

UDFAs I am looking at are:

Aaron Colvin CB Oklahoma. Is 6' and around 180.  Was good in 2012, but dropped off this year (injury?). Tore ACL? at E/W Shrine practice.  Pick-up and give him a year to recover like Chapman.

Jordan Zumwait, ILB UCLA. Is 6'4" and 235.  Loves to hit and can cover

There is a few WRs I am looking at as UDFAs.

IMO, we do not need to draft a WR for awhile, but need one on PS to develop and just incase of injuries.

yeah youre right about my ilbers. My draft was very wishful thinking lol. We think the same. McGill i was considering with my coleman pick, do you think hed make it that far? What about Coleman? Does he fall to the 5th?

Player cut:

C Samson Satele

Re-signed players:

OG Reitz 1 year $1.33MM

K AV 1 year $2MM

Cap space after these moves: $22,871,226

Players signed via FA:

ILB Karlos Dansby 3 year $12MM

OW Dexter McCluster 3 year $6MM

Cap space after these moves: ~$5,000,000

NFL Draft:

5. Aaron Colvin, CB, OU

Not bad but I wouldn't re-sign Vinny or Conner. I also wouldn't sign McCluster or give Dansby a 3 yr. deal.