Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Pep Hamilton

Rob Lowe

I've seen multiple posters here post concerns over Pep's abilities and some have even implied they would like to have him replaced. Personally I like him and his offensive philosophy, granted he has the personnel to run it. And with our offensive line he definitely has not had that personnel.

What are your thoughts on Pep and his longevity with the Colts?

The Colts in general (not sure if it was Pagano or Pep) tried to force feed a philosophy they were not equipped to execute. Once they started playing to the strengths of the personnel, the offense greatly improved. I thought we played really well in the no huddle.....hope that continues. I have stated on here previously that I also believe we should go to a zone blocking scheme. Not sure how Cherilus would fit, but it would benefit Castanzo and Trent Richardson greatly. Thornton may have to slim down a little to be effective. McGlynn and Satele shouldn't be around (I pray to all that is holy) to be considered part of the equation.

Beginning of the season was about average but he was great when we start going uptempo. I don't think Pep was the problem offensively it was more Pagano being conservative and trying to be a power running team without the personnel.

I thought it was Pep who was brought in to run the power system. And I agree with the uptempo, he did well with this other than Luck tossing numerous picks in the playoff games. I think that's more indicative of luck being a second year player under stress surrounded by a less talented/younger team

For the most part Pep's offensive scheme worked out very well for the Colts.

Failures were due to lack of execution, not to scheme.

If you have issues with that, maybe another team might suit you better.

Run the ball, stop the run is what's happening as long as this coaching staff is here.

I support that!

Why can't we just be an effective running team? Why does it have to be a Power Running scheme? It's so obvious when you're going to run in a power running formation. The eagles and chiefs do a great job of running without the power run formation. ( I know we don't have Shady McCoy or Charles).

He's not getting fired if that's what some are hoping for. 

He pretty much reinvented the offense on the fly this year, not a very easy thing to do and frankly I don't think we ever really saw Pep's true offense either.  I think Allen being hurt right off the bat really stopped us from being able to see it. 

It's very rare that a coach gets fired one year into the job and when it does happen it's normally because everything was a complete train wreck or there was a change hirer up the food chain.  Grigson nor Pagano are getting fired so there wont be a change higher up the food chain and while some might try to over react and say things were a train wreck this year it wasn't.  This team won 11 games and a playoff game thanks in large part to the offense.  Pep's going to get a chance to keep putting his offense in place and frankly as a Colts fan that should be good news.  You don't want Andrew Luck and these other young guys in a third offense in three years.  Now they can build on what they learned this year rather than having to start over again. 

I will say I do think he feel into the BB trap this weekend.  We came out trying to do different things rather than going to TY.  We took TY out of the game for them because I think they spent too much time fearing that's what BB was going to do.  When they started to go TY's way he was effective. 

Why can't we just be an effective running team? Why does it have to be a Power Running scheme? It's so obvious when you're going to run in a power eunning formation. The eagles and chiefs do a great job of running without the power run formation. ( I know we don't have Shady McCoy or Charles).

I agree ... and I am afraid that with the way the Patriots beat us running the ball Pagano is going to be even more determined to try to force us into this power running scheme mold; even though the Patriots didn't beat us because they are a power running team, but because they have a good RB rotation, a great offensive line, and good coaching.

The Colts in general (not sure if it was Pagano or Pep) tried to force feed a philosophy they were not equipped to execute. Once they started playing to the strengths of the personnel, the offense greatly improved. I thought we played really well in the no huddle.....hope that continues. I have stated on here previously that I also believe we should go to a zone blocking scheme. Not sure how Cherilus would fit, but it would benefit Castanzo and Trent Richardson greatly. Thornton may have to slim down a little to be effective. McGlynn and Satele shouldn't be around (I pray to all that is holy) to be considered part of the equation.

we have a problem staying healthy enough on the o-line for the same people to get enough reps to work in unison for zone blocking, and we may have tried it some, hard to tell what they are doing as they are being pushed back,zone is supposed to be good but we have to have good linemen to work anything.

we have a problem staying healthy enough on the o-line for the same people to get enough reps to work in unison for zone blocking, and we may have tried it some, hard to tell what they are doing as they are being pushed back,zone is supposed to be good but we have to have good linemen to work anything.

The zone scheme suggestion was working under the assumption that there will be personnel changes along the o-line....particularly the interior.