Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

"How The Other Half Lives": My Experience in Foxboro

ConBro

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Why on earth anyone would think drunk fans at a stadium represent an entire fanbase that is regional in scope is absolutely dumbfounding.

And that sentiment as just as narrow. If that's the only experience they've had, why would they think it's different?

And that sentiment as just as narrow. If that's the only experience they've had, why would they think it's different?

Because a few folks don't represent a region that is millions in scope. And poor experiences at football games are hardly a novelty. Go out to LA or NY sometime. To take a few folks and try to paint it as Colts fans are better then Pats fans is a poor attempt at trying to discredit a fanbase just because your team got beat.

My wife's college friend and her husband went to the game but sat much much closer...probably spent at least a grand a piece on the tickets...their experience while just as wet and miserable (watching the Colts throw away a great opportunity) was actually quite the opposite. The fans were cordial and even told them the best places to eat and go and visit so clearly there are both kinds. I think sitting in those type of seats your going to get a lot of trash regardless. Think about it...these are people that often never get to a game because I'm sure they are mostly sold out and with the rain etc many season ticket holders probably passed on their seats (thus how you got your tickets). People that probably don't go to many games nor understand how to act....add the alcohol to that fire and probably little security up there...yikes I would never sit that high and announce myself as the opposition.

Regardless thats classless etc..but I'm sure par for the course in most stadiums. A good razzing is one thing...but verbal and physical confrontations I would expect someone to step up and say something (from the home crowd etc.) I've been all over and witnessed people from all over NY, CAL, CHI and so on and very very glad to live where I do...where everyone waves at you when you drive by (not just your neighbor) you can have a friendly chat with the checkout lady or bank teller without someone rushing you and your home security is your next door neighbor keeping an eye out for you when your on vacation. Yes mam and yes sir and a sweetie or hunny isn't sexual harrassment...I know I can find that in other places but I'm certainly found of my neck of the woods.

I beg your pardon. My wife, son and I went to the Dolphins/Patriots game around Christmas 2011. Nosebleed seats.  And I'm a very classy guy.

Ish.

Because a few folks don't represent a region that is millions in scope. And poor experiences at football games are hardly a novelty. Go out to LA or NY sometime. To take a few folks and try to paint it as Colts fans are better then Pats fans is a poor attempt at trying to discredit a fanbase just because your team got beat.

I'm well aware, in fact I shared my PoV and experience with fans both good and bad. And I live in NY and have been to games and had a more pleasant experience, so logical reasoning would dictate for me to believe that giants/jets fans are more civil than patriots fans.

But this has nothing to do with our team getting beat. He asked for people's experiences, no relation to the scoreboard, but nice jab?

I hate to sound high and mighty....but I think the Colts fans are in general better behaved. Sure there are knuckleheads here too....but in my experience we don't have the issues that bigger NFL cities have. Just my experience though

I beg your pardon. My wife, son and I went to the Dolphins/Patriots game around Christmas 2011. Nosebleed seats.  And I'm a very classy guy.

Ish.

Obviously this thread and any like it could use ONE GIANT QUALIFIER stating these incidents aren't meant to paint the whole fanbase or states in any certain way. I didn't mean fans in the nosebleed seats are any less civilized than those on the front row...just a generalization that those in the upper deck often don't get the attention of the ushers etc...yes sometimes come from different economical/social classes and can be a little more how we say rowdy and less reformed. Even that said just because someone may have less money and come from a more middle class environment doesn't mean they aren't more socially cultured because we've seen lots of rich jerks too....all I'm saying is I'm sure sitting in luxury boxes/ field level seating would afford someone better protection and be much more visable to ushers and those around them that would likely protect them from such abuse. Any ways...it was an unfortunate incident...and we could generalize all we want but fact was some terrible fans acted like jerks and I feel bad for the kid. A major reason why I don't often go to sporting events anymore because someone (even our own fans) often ruin the experience for me.

I'm well aware, in fact I shared my PoV and experience with fans both good and bad. And I live in NY and have been to games and had a more pleasant experience, so logical reasoning would dictate for me to believe that giants/jets fans are more civil than patriots fans.

But this has nothing to do with our team getting beat. He asked for people's experiences, no relation to the scoreboard, but nice jab?

You can believe that but you are interacting with a handful of fans not a fanbase that is millions in scope. You could go to Gillette next season and have a great experience because of who you sit next to. No empirical evidence whatsoever ... that is my only point... to paint an entire fanbase with one broad stroke on a personal experience with a few folks ...

And the timing of this thread after the Pats blowout win screams of "even though our team was not as good your ours, our fans are better."

I hate to sound high and mighty....but I think the Colts fans are in general better behaved. Sure there are knuckleheads here too....but in my experience we don't have the issues that bigger NFL cities have. Just my experience though

A would agree. I've been to a lot of venues and LOS is good. I never wear team clothing. It just invites trouble.

I live near Buffalo and you are correct...brutal.  Their stadium and location are just as brutal.

I remember going to a game there back when Pagel was the QB. When I left Syracuse , it was about 55* and sunny. I wore a shirt and a sweatshirt over it. When I arrived at that crap hole of the world , I spent about $100 buying stuff to keep from freezing to death. The wind was blowing so hard that Pagel would throw a pass intended for around 15-20 yards and the ball would travel about 8 yards and just nose dive. 

You can believe that but you are interacting with a handful of fans not a fanbase that is millions in scope. You could go to Gillette next season and have a great experience because of who you sit next to. No empirical evidence whatsoever ... that is my only point... to paint an entire fanbase with one broad stroke on a personal experience with a few folks ...

And the timing of this thread after the Pats blowout win screams of "even though our team was not as good your ours, our fans are better."

It may not be empirical evidence but judging from the posts you could see a trend developing. And you're the only one saying that, some people who are going to travel states to go to games may actually just want to know of what they experienced is the norm, relative to what they are used to in Indy. It's human nature.

It may not be empirical evidence but judging from the posts you could see a trend developing. And you're the only one saying that, some people who are going to travel states to go to games may actually just want to know of what they experienced is the norm, relative to what they are used to in Indy. It's human nature.

This is my best advice. Don't wear opposing teams gear to a stadium. It just invites the heckling and bad episodes. People are drunk and emotional. And that behavior unfortunately is everywhere ...

This is my best advice. Don't wear opposing teams gear to a stadium. It just invites the heckling and bad episodes. People are drunk and emotional. And that behavior unfortunately is everywhere ...

That just leads me back to my original post where I said it reflects poorly for the NFL when fans are discouraged their gear.

People at the stadium told me the same thing, when I go again, I'm still going to wear my gear because heckling doesn't phase me. I'm just sorry that by wearing my gear I endanger the people near me, like my post where only the pats fans were getting hit. Pretty dumb to ruin your other fans experiences trying to ruin mine.

Many fanbases will have these fans and from my experiences they are WAY more common in the nosebleeds.

I have seen crazy things in the nosebleeds and very little security, I know its just another generalization but I find it to be true. If you wanna wear opposing uniforms I think its all well and good just buy better seats and you avoid a lot of the crazy drunkards.

Sorry you had to go through that. I go up from Bama to an Indy game every year and meet my friends from Cleveland and Baltimore. My Ravens buddy always wears their gear and the Indy fans are always cool. It may have something to do with his size, but we never had a problem.

Hope you do well in the service! You sound like you're mature and respectful, you'll go far.

Yeah people are not going to mess with someone who is bigger than them. I for one know since I been to colts vs houston and some saints game. I always where my colts jersey and I get fun little jabs but thats it. No one would dare yell in front on my face. Maybe because I'm 6'4 and play college middle linebacker. Being a big man does have it merits 

That just leads me back to my original post where I said it reflects poorly for the NFL when fans are discouraged their gear.

People at the stadium told me the same thing, when I go again, I'm still going to wear my gear because heckling doesn't phase me. I'm just sorry that by wearing my gear I endanger the people near me, like my post where only the pats fans were getting hit. Pretty dumb to ruin your other fans experiences trying to ruin mine.

I agree but you have to know your environment too. Safety is the most important. And the NFL is very two faced. They want you to buy the gear and drink responsibility yet their sponsor is Bud. Anytime you mix alcohol with a violent game you get a dangerous environment IMO. Not just at the game but after with the drunk drivers on the road.

I remember going to a game there back when Pagel was the QB. When I left Syracuse , it was about 55* and sunny. I wore a shirt and a sweatshirt over it. When I arrived at that crap hole of the world , I spent about $100 buying stuff to keep from freezing to death. The wind was blowing so hard that Pagel would throw a pass intended for around 15-20 yards and the ball would travel about 8 yards and just nose dive. 

I dont think the wind had anything to do with that :D

Sorry you had to go through that. I go up from Bama to an Indy game every year and meet my friends from Cleveland and Baltimore. My Ravens buddy always wears their gear and the Indy fans are always cool. It may have something to do with his size, but we never had a problem.

Hope you do well in the service! You sound like you're mature and respectful, you'll go far.

Thank you Smonroe! I appreciate it! :)

Sorry you had a rough time but you are making a generalization that just isn't true. On average every stadium in the NFL holds at least 60,000 people, you put 60,000 people together from anywhere and I promise you there's at least 10,000 complete *s in the group.. simple logic but there's a lot of truth to it, except for Jets and Eagles stadiums, they have 70% *s or more.

No I understand that-- that's why in my original post I said "Let me also say that I know that the fans around us don't represent the entire Patriot fanbase (there are some posters on here who carry themselves maturely), but man would I be embarrassed if I saw Colts fans treating an opposing fan that way, especially if those fans kept quiet the entire game."

I don't mean to bracket all fans like that. Like I said-- there were some fans toward the beginning (as we were on our way to our seats) who were pretty playful about it.

To many people, this is the most important thing in their lives; it's all they have. 

I took my sons to the Colts-Chiefs game.  Many, not all, Chiefs fans were completely obnoxious-interrupting the national anthem.  Shouting all the way around the stadium.  My son looked uncomfortable as he heard obscenities being shouted from behind him.

"They're going to have to win this game, son. You realize that, right?  As loud as the fans are, the Chiefs have to win now." 

They didn't and my son got the pleasure of "listening to" silence from all in red by the time there was four minutes left in the fourth quarter. 

We didn't say a word to the fan taking off his jersey.  We walked to the car and discussed what it meant to have and show class. 

Great post! I ran out of "likes" for the day so I had to quote it haha

When any of your stadiums has its own judge and jail, due to all the assaults, attacks, and fights during a game...then you might compare to Philly and their fans. They even have brawls at baseball games. I was sitting in the Colts family section, right behind the bench, wearing my Peyton Jersey a few years back. I had to go to the rest room, and forgot to put my neutral sweatshirt over top. I had beer thrown at me, batteries, and was about to get jumped by 3 guys, when a couple of Colts fans came over to get between me and them, as security was being called. After taking care of my business, I went back to my seat. Later on, i put my sweatshirt on, walked to the restroom, right in front of the same clowns that had thrown beer on me, and they didn't see or recognize me...I was so ticked from earlier, I wanted to walk up, and dump a beer all over the clown, but it wasn't worth it.

Even though I'm originally from PA, that is why I don't like any Philly teams, and how I became a Baltimore Colt fan.

Every stadium has * at them. 

I remember a few years back a few of my friends and I went to the Rams Colts game here.  One of my friends dared to wear a Rams jersey because he is a fan of that team.  All night he had a couple drunk * swearing at him and wanting to fight because he dared root for a different color of laundry.

Even after the Colts won they were trying to cause a fight and thankfully security quickly ushered them off, but unruly fans and * are at every stadium.

Just another reason why i prefer to just watch the games at home.

I've been a Pats STH for 20 years and have to agree with the OP. It's been getting worse at Gillette for years, as we have an entire generation thats never experienced a losing season. Heck, the boo the Pats off the field if there's multiple 3 n outs! Between that and the emphasis on most of the crowd on their smart phones, Ipads, etc, spending the entire game tweeting etc, it makes me sick to my stomach. Bunch of ignorant, arrogant crybabies.

I still have my tickets but don't go to many games anymore. Those fans have taken any pleasure I used to take out of the gameday experience. It is much worse in the upper deck, since security doesn't go into the stands until there's a fight, unlike the lower levels where they are out in force. For years, I used to host opposing fans at my tailgate and took great pleasure in doing so.

My apologies to you and any other fans that have had to put up with such crap in trying to support your team.

I appreciate it man-- thanks for being one of the classy ones! It is really unfortunate that your experience has been tainted as well.

People from the North East pride themselves on having a bit of an attitude, look at Philly fans as an example of another east coast fanbase.  Jets fans often boo their team (even when they aren't bad) over the smallest mistake.  I know there were other motives but back in 2006 when the Colts went to Baltimore for the playoffs some of our fans here went to the game and came back with horror stories as to how they were treated.  It's just the way some of the people in the North East are, note some doesn't mean all. 

It doesn't mean others are saints compared to them.  Colts fans have their fair share of jerks in their fanbase too as does any team but for the most part people from the Midwest are known for their values and just how nice they are.  Again, that's not just my opinion listen to people talk about people from the Midwest when they come here.  People marveled over just how nice the people Indianapolis were when we hosted the Super Bowl.  It's just different parts of the country and how people act.  Different regions act different ways. 

If you read my original post, that is not at all what I was implying. And just to let you know, you were one of the posters I had in mind about "carrying yourself maturely" on our board. It wasn't about us losing-- we were behind the entire game. If we had won, nothing about my experience in Gillette Stadium (the ENTIRE subject of this thread) would have changed.

If you read my original post, that is not at all what I was implying. And just to let you know, you were one of the posters I had in mind about "carrying yourself maturely" on our board. It wasn't about us losing-- we were behind the entire game. If we had won, nothing about my experience in Gillette Stadium (the ENTIRE subject of this thread) would have changed.

My reply was not toward you.

And nice veiled personal shot. You know what they say, be kind and get kindness in return ...

It's funny what people will try to hang their hats on to make themselves feel better. Like I said, confirmation bias is an incredible phenomenon.

I'm enjoying the collective beating of the chests here, with posters exclaiming that they, along with the Colts fanbase, are classy, mellow and hospitable. More generalizations.

Keep telling the world how great you are. Class is whispered, never screamed. ;)

It's funny what people will try to hang their hats on to make themselves feel better. Like I said, confirmation bias is an incredible phenomenon.

I'm enjoying the collective beating of the chests here, with posters exclaiming that they, along with the Colts fanbase, are classy, mellow and hospitable. More generalizations.

Keep telling the world how great you are. Class is whispered, not shouted. ;)

Fun fact. The bolded? Not actually a saying.

My reply was not toward you.

And nice veiled personal shot. You know what they say, be kind and get kindness in return ...

It really honestly was not a personal shot. But take it as you will I suppose. I honestly thought of you as well as our other posters from other fanbases (Vance, Qwiz, Buffalo34, among others...) who are fun to talk to about the sport, because you are all generally respectful. 

Now, however I am starting to have second thoughts.

Also, if others will take note, I am not the only one posting on here who shares sentiments about hostilities in certain stadiums. In fact, a 20 year season ticket holder discussed similar experiences which have ruined live game settings for him, which is a shame.

Keep telling the world how great you are. Class is whispered, never screamed. ;)

Welcome to the forum :D

It really honestly was not a personal shot. But take it as you will I suppose. I honestly thought of you as well as our other posters from other fanbases (Vance, Qwiz, Buffalo34, among others...) who are fun to talk to about the sport, because you are all generally respectful. 

Now, however I am starting to have second thoughts.

Also, if others will take note, I am not the only one posting on here who shares sentiments about hostilities in certain stadiums. In fact, a 20 year season ticket holder discussed similar experiences which have ruined live game settings for him, which is a shame.

How is calling me immature not a personal shot?

But honestly, your post "essay" did not bother me that much. My responses were to another poster who was climbing on your post as evidence that Pats fans are somehow not as classy as Colts fans. But then in fairness the poster clarified and somewhat retracted. I don't doubt your experience or that Pats fans can be boorish but you had some statements in there that were touting the Colts fanbase over the Pats fanbase that will draw the ire of your rival especially when the Pats did just beat the Colts in a playoff game. Your post screams of sour grapes given the timing and all, just being honest which I think you can gather from many of the responses but overall the discussion has been good about how to handle yourself at stadiums. As I have said repeatedly, you mix alcohol with a violent sport and you get lousy behavior regardless of the city. I am sorry your experience was so lousy but where you sat probably had as much to do with it as anything.