Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Depth, free agency, roster cuts, draft... Talking about 2014.

Can'tStandYa

While rebuilding on the fly is a fans dream, there is some holes on the current colts team (but would like to give major props to Grigs for the job he is doing). I'd like to throw some things out there and tally through some of the opinions of the best fans in football.

As everyone knows... Vonte Davis is top priority in free agency. This deal is one that will most likely exceed Robert Mathis's contract, but it has to get done.

Payout PattyMac... He's a MVP for our defense. Pay him more, let him kick field goals. Or not. Just keep him.

Now here is some tough ones... What to do about these contracts. Who would you let go and who do you keep around for depth.

^^^Satele, let's just go ahead and agree he should go... At the price of 3,900,000... He's just not worth it.

^^^Walden, I believe we structured his contract so we can get out of it cheap with the first two year. And yes, in my opinion, he has been great. But we have Werner, and we need more pass rushing. Is Walden, though he does he job very well, worth the 4,000,000 dollar price tag?

^^^Hasselbeck, I'm a fan, and I think his contract is mostly guaranteed so, might be stuck with him. And that might be a good thing. (Hopefully not)

^^^ RJF, if and only if, we make a move for a DE in free agency, or if Hughes opens some eyes in the offseason (unlikely).

I currently like our offense, I hate to say it, but we should let Brown walk. Why pay him 3,4, or 5 million a year to be a rotational guy. Do we really need 3 starting caliber rb's on our roster? How about take that money that we should give him, and put it into our offensive line. Whether that be go sign a center, or put it towards Castanzo's contract next year.

Looking at our roster, we are very young, and I think very deep. The bright side of all the injuries this year, it gave a lot of guys some experience and really I think improved our depth. Guys like Howell and Hughes who really took a step forward this year.

Well your turn, who do you want in free agency? What positions do we need to draft for depth? Opinions on roster cuts... And what to do with Bethea? Try to think like Grigs... Don't put all your money on one basket... (You have to think about Andrews contract and all they rookies last year). In other words... No Byrd pipe dream.. Won't happen.

If Bethea will return for a reasonable price I'm all for it.. If not we can look else where.. The same goes for Donald Brown.

Besides the offensive line I think we should look into a safety,receiver and perhaps a pass rush linebacker and a guy who can play the middle..

Another corner won't hurt because our guys can't seem to stay healthy

FYI, I don't follow the salary cap situation that much with all the guaranteed money in the contracts. 

What I would this offseason:

1) Re-sign Davis (4 year deal)

2) Re-sign McAfee (4-5 year deal)

3) Restruct Walden's deal

4) Cut RJF (Not sure if he has guarantee $)

5) Re-sign Donald Brown (2 years)

6) Re-sign Bethea (3 years) - LaRon Landry and Bethea need to gain chemistry.

7) Let DHB, McGlynn, and Bradshaw walk. 

8) Try to trade Satele. If failed, release him.

After all the moves, I'd expect us to make one big signing and a few smaller ones.

Would like WR Jeremy Maclin and  OC Brian De La Puente.

FYI, I don't follow the salary cap situation that much with all the guaranteed money in the contracts. 

After all the moves, I'd expect us to make one big signing and a few smaller ones.

I wouldn't be upset if all of this happened.. I actually agree with this..

Would like WR Jeremy Maclin and OC Brian De La Puente.

Never see anyone talking about releasing rjf, and I completely agree. Imo and maybe yours he has been very average, +we've gotten similar/better production from our other de's. Hopefully he had a cuttable contract situation because I think we can replace him easily.

First and foremost, we MUST continue to re-sign or acquire players that are our kind of quality "people" as well as bn talented. We can't afford to disrupt our locker room by adding a me-first, blah blah blah, player. That type of cancer kills team play. I would first speak McGlynn about playing at center and re-sign him if agreeable. He'll only get better if he's there week in week out. If we can find a diamond in the rough safety to learn from Bethea and Landry, take him. Re-sign Bethea to set the tone for other longtime colts players that remain loyal and productive. We need those types of players to teach and set examples. Groom either Walden or Werner to eventually fill Mathis' spot if development continues.Maybe unpopular to others, but I'd give a shot at getting Mike Pollak back at guard. He's a nasty run blocker and good size not to mention cheap.The shoe will inspire a great 2nd tour of duty.Let Brown go, and IF 100%, offer Bradshaw a incentive-laden contract. Upside could be huge. Let go of Angerer, S brown, Franklin, McKinney. Keep Moala, Vinateri, McAfee, and Reitz. Others like Vaughn are still a questionmark for me. 

I'd love to see DB and AB back, just because of all they've done for the team. But financially, I'm not sure it's feasible. We have to set up for some hard choices when Hilton, Fleener, Allen, and Vicks contracts all come up.

Oh yes let's get Dez Bryant I think he will be a member of the all tantrum team for years to come. In fact I can envision a senerio where Dez could top the tearful press conference of TO. a few years ago and maybe he could pull a double and do the Vince Young APB we're afraid he's suicidal disapperaence gig. That would write all whole new chapter in Colts football drama taking it directly from the field into the everyday scene.

Overall I like this list.....Bethea seemed to slip back a bit this season to me, he has picked it up recently (maybe he had a nagging injury) but he was the invisible man for a few stretches this year......so reasonably priced would be key.......Brown, I may be foolish but I think we can keep for reasonable $$, with rookie contracts, and a relatively flooded RB market with everyone going with 2+ we should be able to lock him up....McGlynn has value as a back up in our system, so if you can sign him for gummy worms I am all for keeping him as back up. ......I think you will have a hard time getting gummy worms for Satele, but I like the moxy, trade away LOL

Sign 2014's Avery/DHB field stretcher with hands of stone

Sign or draft some O-line, WR, MLB, DB's no homerun contracts..........

What do you mean when you suggest restructuring Walden's contract? If we leave it the way it is, he gets a $4m base salary, and his cap hit is $4.25m. He's been solid, not spectacular, but certainly isn't a weak link on our defense. I think we're fine with him. But he's replaceable, either through the draft or free agency, if we wanted a better or more promising player. If we release him after 2014, we have a cap penalty of just $500k, which is negligible. I'm not sure I see the benefit of restructuring his deal.

As for RJF, what's the problem with him? He's been very good against the run, and serviceable as a pass rusher. I really don't understand why people have a problem with him.

What do you mean when you suggest restructuring Walden's contract? If we leave it the way it is, he gets a $4m base salary, and his cap hit is $4.25m. He's been solid, not spectacular, but certainly isn't a weak link on our defense. I think we're fine with him. But he's replaceable, either through the draft or free agency, if we wanted a better or more promising player. If we release him after 2014, we have a cap penalty of just $500k, which is negligible. I'm not sure I see the benefit of restructuring his deal.

As for RJF, what's the problem with him? He's been very good against the run, and serviceable as a pass rusher. I really don't understand why people have a problem with him.

exactly right

People are stat fans. They don't actually watch what is going on

Would like WR Jeremy Maclin and OC Brian De La Puente.

Unfortunately we aren't coaches or GMs but this is very solid. Is AV still under contract, if not I'd def resign him. He's helped the Colts win multiple games this year. Not sure though about the OC, PEP has unleashed the team from this so called power run game philosophy and has spread it out more. I'd like to see him get another shot.

Looking into my crystal ball, AV is going to retire after the playoffs. With a fifth ring, as well.

There's been virtually no drop off in his play, but based on his age and contract status, it wouldn't surprise me to see him retire. Especially if we find a way to win the SB.

There's been virtually no drop off in his play, but based on his age and contract status, it wouldn't surprise me to see him retire. Especially if we find a way to win the SB.

He truly is a "legend". He has had a great career but I can't see him wanting a new contract really. Maybe a one year deal, but what is there left for him to prove, especially if the colts have a deep playoff run.

He has had a great season.

kickers don't retire because they are old, they retire when their production diminishes and teams don't want them any more. there isn't any wear and tear on their bodies if they continue to play like other players. he will be playing with someone next year.

kickers don't retire because they are old, they retire when their production diminishes and teams don't want them any more. there isn't any wear and tear on their bodies if they continue to play like other players. he will be playing with someone next year.

Or when they don't want to play anymore.

On RJF, I agree he has been very average, and I would cut him. He gives us a cap savings of $3.25 million. Definitely cut Satele. His cap savings number is 4 million, so that brings us up to about 46M in cap space. I had thought about cutting Toler. I like him but he is injury prone. His release would give us another 4M in cap and up to 50M. I would like to see what the Dolphins are going to offer Grimes, and think about dropping Toler for Grimes, and although he would earn more, it would not be a big cap hit if we release Toler. Then get De La Puente, and I like the idea of Maclin also, plus one other solid guard, depending on who is available!

On RJF, I agree he has been very average, and I would cut him. He gives us a cap savings of $3.25 million. Definitely cut Satele. His cap savings number is 4 million, so that brings us up to about 46M in cap space. I had thought about cutting Toler. I like him but he is injury prone. His release would give us another 4M in cap and up to 50M. I would like to see what the Dolphins are going to offer Grimes, and think about dropping Toler for Grimes, and although he would earn more, it would not be a big cap hit if we release Toler. Then get De La Puente, and I like the idea of Maclin also, plus one other solid guard, depending on who is available!

Grimes is pretty injury prone himself.. Just sayin

it's a awfully big paycheck to walk away from when there is no long term health risks. i just don't see him or any other kicker doing it.

It's a lot of money, even if he were to play for vet minimum. But there's OTAs and training camp and preseason and weekly practices, the whole grind. A lot of players walk away when they can still play. Kicker is a different story, but it happens.

If it were up to me, I'd offer Vinatieri a one year deal for about $1.5m. That's a small premium for a veteran kicker, about a million more than what we'd pay a UDFA kicker. He's still a reliable kicker and he still comes through with the game on the line. But if he wants more than that, it's time to move on. It will eventually be time to move on anyways.

Unfortunately we aren't coaches or GMs but this is very solid. Is AV still under contract, if not I'd def resign him. He's helped the Colts win multiple games this year. Not sure though about the OC, PEP has unleashed the team from this so called power run game philosophy and has spread it out more. I'd like to see him get another shot.

Brian De Le is a center. Not sure why MTC put OC instead of just putting Center. But yeah he's not an offensive coordinator. He's a player. Hope that clears it up

Pep Hamilton isn't going anywhere anway

Brian De Le is a center. Not sure why MTC put OC instead of just putting Center. But yeah he's not an offensive coordinator. He's a player. Hope that clears it up

Ah thanks for clearing that up. He must be a pretty darn good center. Saints have a phenomenal line.

OC= Offensive Center...Some call them that or Tackles OT-Offensive Tackles..............I just stick to Tackles, Centers, Guards........Some Guards and Tackles are pretty offensive though.....Centers to

OC= Offensive Center...Some call them that or Tackles OT-Offensive Tackles..............I just stick to Tackles, Centers, Guards........Some Guards and Tackles are pretty offensive though.....Centers to

True, I find Samson Satele very offensive.

He truly is a "legend". He has had a great career but I can't see him wanting a new contract really. Maybe a one year deal, but what is there left for him to prove, especially if the colts have a deep playoff run.

He has had a great season.

If it were me I would just sign him to 1 year deals until his production drops off. Good for the Colts and good for AV as maybe that will help him get into the HOF. It would be the 1st kicker in like 50 years (That isn't exact but I don't think there hasn't been 1 in the modern NFL).

It's a lot of money, even if he were to play for vet minimum. But there's OTAs and training camp and preseason and weekly practices, the whole grind. A lot of players walk away when they can still play. Kicker is a different story, but it happens.

If it were up to me, I'd offer Vinatieri a one year deal for about $1.5m. That's a small premium for a veteran kicker, about a million more than what we'd pay a UDFA kicker. He's still a reliable kicker and he still comes through with the game on the line. But if he wants more than that, it's time to move on. It will eventually be time to move on anyways.

i tried to think of a top kicker that retired on top of his skills and couldn't. they want too much money for their skill set and decide to retire. i agree the rest. i would do the same with both kickers. i don't think it's wise to spend 6-7 million per year on kickers. i would be much more inclined to spend money on a fg kicker than a punter. a couple extra yards on a punt is extremely overrated.