Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Bill O'Brien new Houston Texans coach.

arkana04

No Bill Belichick disciple has done well on their own as a head coach.  Mangini is no longer a head coach, nor is Crennel or Josh McDaniels.  With that said, O'Brien seems very different from those guys.  I think it's a good hire by the Texans

and Weis hasn't exactly set the world on fire as a college coach.

With that said I think O'Brien is pretty good but the NFL is a different animal. 

Wouldn't be surprised to see the Texans trade a 3rd rounder for Ryan Mallet and trade out of the 1st overall pick. 

That would not be a bad move as then they will get a boat load of picks for the 1st overall but the issue is QB is their biggest need and Mallett still seems like a work in progress. His accuracy is not always there and no mobility either. I think they get their QB with the first pick given they can have whoever they want. I hope they get Manziel.

That would not be a bad move as then they will get a boat load of picks for the 1st overall but the issue is QB is their biggest need and Mallett still seems like a work in progress. His accuracy is not always there and no mobility either. I think they get their QB with the first pick given they can have whoever they want. I hope they get Manziel.

I also hope they use the #1 overall pick on Manziel. 

PSU needed someone with a pulse and no connections to the prior regime and who could win a decent number of games. He met those standards but didn't exactly set the world on fire with the product on the field, especially considering the B1G was pathetic. I don't understand the excitement over this hire.

It should be 5-10 years.

Penn tgot over VER easy.

the entire football program should have been shut down.

O'Brien needed to get out...good for him

He knew what he was getting into when he took the job. And by punishing the penn st football program you are punishing the wrong people.

• 2 months later...

PSU needed someone with a pulse and no connections to the prior regime and who could win a decent number of games. He met those standards but didn't exactly set the world on fire with the product on the field, especially considering the B1G was pathetic. I don't understand the excitement over this hire.

Exactly.  He has 2 years of experience at being a head coach in his entire life, in college, where he went 15-9.  Hardly a worldbeater.

I'll always remember him for making the strange decision of going for it on 4th and 2 on their own 33, with essentially an entire quarter left in a game in which they were down 11 points to Indiana.  Of course, they didn't make it, Indiana scored 2 TD's in the next 3.5 minutes to put the game away and beat Penn State for the first time ever in 16 attempts. 

Head scratching in-game decision, to be sure, not to mention that Penn State really wasn't an impressive outfit in either of the 2 years he coached them.  Never thought that same guy would end up being an NFL head coach a few months later.