Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Single-season TD pass record questions

oldunclemark

Are you serious? Brady got all the votes so the field must have been weak? That argument is weak. Come on now. There has never been a unanimous MVP ever and it was because Brady's season was that good not because the field was weak. I do remember Vick was having a pretty special year that season in Philly and Brees in NO  and Foster I think was the leading rusher but none were close to Brady's performance and the votes reflected that. Like I said you throw 355 passes without a pick and toss 36 TDs to 4 picks with two rookie TEs and a retread in Branch as Moss was traded that year and you get a unanimous MVP.

That's not what he said. He said that Brady getting all the votes doesn't necessarily mean his performance was better than someone else's in another year.

Although, in 2010, that was a weak MVP candidate field, aside from Brady. I think that was probably his best year, statistically speaking, and from an efficiency standpoint. The Pats drastically altered their offensive approach, Brady refused to turn the ball over, had his second highest TDs (to that point), and did so with Welker at less than 100% and two rookie tight ends. He was phenomenal, and absolutely deserved MVP, even unanimously.

But he didn't have anyone like AP almost breaking the rushing yards record, or Drew Brees going absolutely nuts (which is the only reason Rodgers didn't win unanimously in 2011). It was a weak field. You mentioning Michael Vick is a testament to that (someone that most voters wouldn't have voted for even if he was worthy, which he wasn't).

Fair disclosure: Manning won it against a weak field in 2008. Almost got it by default. Chad Pennington got four votes that year. So I'm not picking on Brady.

But the point stands: Winning MVP unanimously doesn't automatically make that season any better than a different season.

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Are you serious? Brady got all the votes so the field must have been weak? That argument is weak. Come on now. There has never been a unanimous MVP ever and it was because Brady's season was that good not because the field was weak. I do remember Vick was having a pretty special year that season in Philly and Brees in NO  and Foster I think was the leading rusher but none were close to Brady's performance and the votes reflected that. Like I said you throw 355 passes without a pick and toss 36 TDs to 4 picks with two rookie TEs and a retread in Branch as Moss was traded that year and you get a unanimous MVP.

C'mon ..I know your smart enough to comprehend what I said. Read it again and digest it. In no way did I say what you have above . What I'm saying is that it  (unanimous MVP ) doesn't prove that it was a better year than others that we have talked about. The hypothetical I gave explains it pretty well. Not even the biggest homer Pat fan on this board would side with you on this one. Maybe try reading Superman's post if somehow I'm not being clear.

Fair enough man, no harm no foul. Usually when people start with the phrase, "How surprising..." it's accompanied by the traditional eye-roll or head tilt.  ;)

I tried making a legitimate case, so... those are the reasons behind my opinion. 

You can make a case for TB's year and no doubt it will be a legit one. Just saying your bias... But you're good..

C'mon ..I know your smart enough to comprehend what I said. Read it again and digest it. In no way did I say what you have above . What I'm saying is that it  (unanimous MVP ) doesn't prove that it was a better year than others that we have talked about. The hypothetical I gave explains it pretty well. Not even the biggest homer Pat fan on this board would side with you on this one. Maybe try reading Superman's post if somehow I'm not being clear.

Calm down. I got you now. That is a valid point but still he remains the only unanimous MVP and his year was pretty special and deserves consideration in this discussion. My comment about the voters saying it was the best season was tongue and cheek by the way. Perhaps I should have included an emoticon.

Calm down. I got you now. That is a valid point but still he remains the only unanimous MVP and his year was pretty special and deserves consideration in this discussion. My comment about the voters saying it was the best season was tongue and cheek by the way. Perhaps I should have included an emoticon.

I'm too old to get excited and usually I get the "tongue in cheek stuff" and yeah if that was the case there , you probably did need to make it obvious.

Most impressive season....that perhaps is this year for Manning. His defense is horrible...no he isn't playing with the pressure of undefeated....just the pressure of his defense putting him in a hole every possession. He hasn't been perfect...but given his age and his recent injury this season is the most impressive....I didn't expect this coming into the year....I thought 40 tds perhaps 4800yds....a little better than last year....yes he has some better wr's but his OL is worse and no one thought they had a running game to help him stand on (and that works because of peyton and the defense dropping) and the fact that usually players start to decline...not get better closing in on 40.

Best qb season to me is still Marino based on the how the game was played and what he did...followed closely by Manning in 04/Brady 07....Manning really did ease up A LOT that year and sat out a game and some quarters....but Brady set all kind of team records and of course a great perfect regular season. This year is probably below Rodgers in best played  qb seasons but its hard to not say it is the most impressive....we are talking about Jack Nicholaus winning the masters in his what 84 in his 40s special here.

I suggest you review my other posts as I have other reasons for why they are the best statistically to the other teams.

Thats what i am talking about.  You say its not about the stats when we show you that the 13 broncos stats are better.  Now you come back and say they are the best statistically when they just arent.  You are so inconsistent with your logic and arguments its hilariousl

I see you have many firm points to AMFootball . . . could you please advise me as to why you made the bolded statement? . . . just curious . . .

I was talking in the context of an earlier statement I made about the number of records they could set or have set.

Most points (need 41 per game)

Most first downs in a season (382.  07 Pats had 393. Need 11 for last two games.  Chiefs own record at 398)

Most Passing TD's   (Needs 4 more)

Most Passing Yards  (has already passed Tom Bradys 07 yards. Needs 333 per game to break record)

Net yards per pass attempt (at 7.89, already beating Brady 07)

Passes completed per game (Already beating Brady 07 with nearly the same pass attempts per game 41.4 to 41.3)

Passes completed (Currently at 393, 07 Brady had 398)

Most yards in a season (Already beating the 07 Pats)

And probably a few more.  But those are some of the big ones.

Does anyone here think that Aaron Rodgers, with 46 TDs in his 15-1 Packers season, if Matt Flynn had not played in game 17, would not have eclipsed the 50 TD mark? Just asking. Rodgers got 46 TDs in 15 games in 2011, much like Peyton got 49 TDs in 15 games in 2004. So, I expect Peyton to get 50 TDs in 15 games in 2013 :).

Sean Payton, in a blowout game in week 17 in 2011, had Brees throw for 5 TDs, to get to 44 or 45 TDs in 16 games. Maybe he was wanting to showcase Brees for MVP over Rodgers, which is what I suspect.

Yep, but I suspect that the Pack were getting worried about injuries due to Jennings being hurt around that time and the Lions being known for being dirty vs. the Pack at times too. They also wanted to let Flynn show his stuff heading into FA.

But, I absolutely think Rodgers could have broken it in 2011. In a few other games that year they took their foot off the gas as well which was sometimes a mistake since their D was too bad to hold a good lead.

Rodgers was a maniac in 2011.......but for some reason they didn't seem to be going for all the records as much. The D and run game were shaky too so in a way it was like watching some old Colts teams.

Rodgers did I think break Peyton's single season passer rating record though.

Yep, but I suspect that the Pack were getting worried about injuries due to Jennings being hurt around that time and the Lions being known for being dirty vs. the Pack at times too. They also wanted to let Flynn show his stuff heading into FA.

But, I absolutely think Rodgers could have broken it in 2011. In a few other games that year they took their foot off the gas as well which was sometimes a mistake since their D was too bad to hold a good lead.

Rodgers was a maniac in 2011.......but for some reason they didn't seem to be going for all the records as much. The D and run game were shaky too so in a way it was like watching some old Colts teams.

Rodgers did I think break Peyton's single season passer rating record though.

I am trying to figure out how Matt Flynn did not have a job in the NFL this season or last season. Maybe he just clicks in GB for whatever reason but they guy can play.

Does anyone here think that Aaron Rodgers, with 46 TDs in his 15-1 Packers season, if Matt Flynn had not played in game 17, would not have eclipsed the 50 TD mark? Just asking. Rodgers got 46 TDs in 15 games in 2011, much like Peyton got 49 TDs in 15 games in 2004. So, I expect Peyton to get 50 TDs in 15 games in 2013 :).

Sean Payton, in a blowout game in week 17 in 2011, had Brees throw for 5 TDs, to get to 44 or 45 TDs in 16 games. Maybe he was wanting to showcase Brees for MVP over Rodgers, which is what I suspect.

I think he does. Didn't Flynn have like 5 TDs in that final game? I love what Rodgers did that year. His season was the closest to the Pats of 2007 as he has the blow outs and the close ones vs the Panthers, Vikes and Giants. Have no idea how that awful KC team beat them but it goes to show just how hard it is to win them all. Pats had nail biters right to the end with the Ravens, Philly and Giants. If we go strictly by QB rating then hard not to put Rodgers as the best season as he had 122 for the season. Best ever I believe.

I am trying to figure out how Matt Flynn did not have a job in the NFL this season or last season. Maybe he just clicks in GB for whatever reason but they guy can play.

He's had several jobs. He got beat out by Russell Wilson last year, then got traded to the Raiders this year, where he was beat out by Terrelle Pryor. The Raiders released him a month later, and he went to the Bills and never played. After they released him, he sat for a few weeks until the Packers brought him in. 

He's had several jobs. He got beat out by Russell Wilson last year, then got traded to the Raiders this year, where he was beat out by Terrelle Pryor. The Raiders released him a month later, and he went to the Bills and never played. After they released him, he sat for a few weeks until the Packers brought him in. 

Yes, I know. That is what I mean. He wasn't good enough to win jobs in Oakland and Buffalo which seems strange to me. Like I said, maybe it is just the right fit in GB. But I would have thought he could have beaten out Pryor and Manuel.

Yes, I know. That is what I mean. He wasn't good enough to win jobs in Oakland and Buffalo which seems strange to me. Like I said, maybe it is just the right fit in GB. But I would have thought he could have beaten out Pryor and Manuel.

Pryor outplayed him, and Manuel is the future in Buffalo. Plus, he didn't get a camp or anything in Buffalo, and was only there for a month, if that. None of that was really surprising to me.

I was kind of surprised that the Packers didn't pick him up as soon as Rodgers got hurt (or as soon as he got dropped in Buffalo, however it went). He clearly works well in their system.

He seems to only click with the Packers coaches and also Rodgers lol. I know Flynn and Rodgers are really good friends too I remember reading. It's too bad they did not have Flynn earlier on when Rodgers got hurt. It took him a few weeks IMO to get going but he isn't too bad. He isn't Aaron though that's for sure.

Not a good ending to the season though. In most of your arguments, you dangle rings around like baubles on a tree. Regular season stat padding. He flopped when it counted, and has been doing so for many years...

Not a good ending to the season though. In most of your arguments, you dangle rings around like baubles on a tree. Regular season stat padding. He flopped when it counted, and has been doing so for many years...

None of the seasons mentioned has a championship at the end. But Brady and Marino at least got to the SB and 07 and 84 respectively.

I was talking in the context of an earlier statement I made about the number of records they could set or have set.

Most points (need 41 per game)

Most first downs in a season (382.  07 Pats had 393. Need 11 for last two games.  Chiefs own record at 398)

Most Passing TD's   (Needs 4 more)

Most Passing Yards  (has already passed Tom Bradys 07 yards. Needs 333 per game to break record)

Net yards per pass attempt (at 7.89, already beating Brady 07)

Passes completed per game (Already beating Brady 07 with nearly the same pass attempts per game 41.4 to 41.3)

Passes completed (Currently at 393, 07 Brady had 398)

Most yards in a season (Already beating the 07 Pats)

And probably a few more.  But those are some of the big ones.

okay fair enough, , , sorry for not getting back to your earlier . . . fair enough . . . the season is not over for the Broncos and we still have on more game left and they can add to the stats above . . .  

but for me between the 07 pats and 13 Broncos, I will still take the 07 Pats . . . surely the 13 broncos will have some records and can add more Sunday . . .but the one thing for me with the 07 Pats was the competition they went up against, the fact that they went 16-0 and score a TD on nearly have their possessions and score more per possession that the Broncos is why would put them ahead . . .  

okay fair enough, , , sorry for not getting back to your earlier . . . fair enough . . . the season is not over for the Broncos and we still have on more game left and they can add to the stats above . . .  

but for me between the 07 pats and 13 Broncos, I will still take the 07 Pats . . . surely the 13 broncos will have some records and can add more Sunday . . .but the one thing for me with the 07 Pats was the competition they went up against, the fact that they went 16-0 and score a TD on nearly have their possessions and score more per possession that the Broncos is why would put them ahead . . .  

the 07 pats also had a better defense