Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Consensus #1 pick in the draft, Teddy Bridgewater, considering returning to school.

Dustin

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah Ive seen this floating around. It could really screw with the draft projections, since most of the top picking teams have QB as the glaring need. Not sure what Houston does now. Their hand may be forced to take Derek Carr, and who knows if he will even go there.

Yeah Ive seen this floating around. It could really screw with the draft projections, since most of the top picking teams have QB as the glaring need. Not sure what Houston does now. Their hand may be forced to take Derek Carr, and who knows if he will even go there.

Hopefully Vance and QwizBoy didn't throw away their old Carr jerseys.

I think it's WAY too early to call Bridgewater the consensus #1 pick.

He might be by April...   but I don't think he is right now....

I think he's close to a consensus top-5 player...  but that's as far as I'd go right now....

Oh, and one last thought....    shouldn't this thread be over on the draft page?

Either way, not a big deal....    just sayin...

He might be by April...   but I don't think he is right now....

I think he's close to a consensus top-5 player...  but that's as far as I'd go right now....

Oh, and one last thought....    shouldn't this thread be over on the draft page?

Either way, not a big deal....    just sayin...

Basically every reputable draft analyst, site, expert has him as the #1 overall draft pick right now. I think it's fair to call him the consensus until there is a reason otherwise. 

And yeah this should probably be in the Draft section of the CFB section. Feel free to move it Mods. 

He might be by April... but I don't think he is right now....

I think he's close to a consensus top-5 player... but that's as far as I'd go right now....

Oh, and one last thought.... shouldn't this thread be over on the draft page?

Either way, not a big deal.... just sayin...

Nah Bridgewater would go #1 if he came out this year. By not doing so, it makes Derek Carr #1 most desirable QB, which by default would likely mean the Texans take him, as McNair believes they are a coach and QB away. Also boosts Manziel's stock. You have a top 10 pick and need a QB. Who do you take? Carr is gone. No Bridgewater or Mariotta. Do you have faith in McCarran? A lot of teams were hoping this would be a QB deep draft, but that depth is shrinking daily.

Basically every reputable draft analyst, site, expert has him as the #1 overall draft pick right now. I think it's fair to call him the consensus until there is a reason otherwise. 

And yeah this should probably be in the Draft section of the CFB section. Feel free to move it Mods. 

Can you list some of those reputable sites?    I'd be curious to see them........

EDIT:  By the way....   I just went over to ESPN.com...

Kiper has Bridgewater 7th overall right now...   McShay has him 8th...

It's so early that he could easily go up before the draft, which this year is in early May....

I'm just saying for now...  I don't think there's a consensus yet...

Nah Bridgewater would go #1 if he came out this year. By not doing so, it makes Derek Carr #1 most desirable QB, which by default would likely mean the Texans take him, as McNair believes they are a coach and QB away. Also boosts Manziel's stock. You have a top 10 pick and need a QB. Who do you take? Carr is gone. No Bridgewater or Mariotta. Do you have faith in McCarran? A lot of teams were hoping this would be a QB deep draft, but that depth is shrinking daily.

I dont' mean to be splitting hairs here...

But being a QB and going first in the draft doesn't mean you are the top graded player in the draft.

It means in the modern NFL,  the position is the most important and some teams will take a QB first overall if they have the need,  even if he's not the top rated player...

Whoever picks first likely needs a QB....   So, he could easily go first...

All I'm saying is he's not a consensus first pick....    at least,  not yet...

I dont' mean to be splitting hairs here...

But being a QB and going first in the draft doesn't mean you are the top graded player in the draft.

It means in the modern NFL, the position is the most important and some teams will take a QB first overall if they have the need, even if he's not the top rated player...

Whoever picks first likely needs a QB.... So, he could easily go first...

All I'm saying is he's not a consensus first pick.... at least, not yet...

No I get that. Carr is not a consensus first pick. Bridgewater is/was though. Ive seen a few call him Andrew Luck lite. Just as prepared for the pro game as Andrew was, but with a bit lower ceiling. It was the Teddy sweepstakes.

Can you list some of those reputable sites?    I'd be curious to see them........

EDIT:  By the way....   I just went over to ESPN.com...

Kiper has Bridgewater 7th overall right now...   McShay has him 8th...

It's so early that he could easily go up before the draft, which this year is in early May....

I'm just saying for now...  I don't think there's a consensus yet...

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/mock-draft

http://walterfootball.com/draft2014.php

For starters.

And just because Mel and McShay they have him ranked #7 and #8 doesn't mean they don't have him going #1 overall. The best QB in the draft, especially one as good as Teddy B, almost always goes #1 in the draft.

Besides, we're just being pedantic here and now we've managed to de-rail the thread over a choice of words in the title.

No I get that. Carr is not a consensus first pick. Bridgewater is/was though. Ive seen a few call him Andrew Luck lite. Just as prepared for the pro game as Andrew was, but with a bit lower ceiling. It was the Teddy sweepstakes.

Better make that Andrew Luck extra-lite.

I don't see him near that level of play.   (yes, I know, you said they're calling him Luck-lite)

I just haven't seen it.   Nor have I read those comparisons.

Unfortunately, too many people who write draft columns like to punch them up with sexy comparisons.   It leads to more buzz and more internet "hits"...

But that doesn't make them right.     

It's the kind of stuff that drives me crazy.....

Even if we did he wouldn't play for us, he doesn't like us very much, he's had some choice words for the organization.

I can see an Eli Manning situation crop up tbh. The Texans draft him to call his bluff if he threatens to not sign, he holds out, then the Texans do a straight up one for one trade with someone like Minnesota who also drafted a QB high. The Vikings get Derek Carr and the Texans get the metaphorical Phillip Rivers.

I can see an Eli Manning situation crop up tbh. The Texans draft him to call his bluff if he threatens to not sign, he holds out, then the Texans do a straight up one for one trade with someone like Minnesota who also drafted a QB high. The Vikings get Derek Carr and the Texans get the metaphorical Phillip Rivers.

No.

Guest TeamLoloJones

Bridgewater or maybe even Manziel. I think we have to go quarterback, no questions asked. Though a lot of us thought the same in '06 and we went in a completely different direction then.

I'd take Bridgewater.  If he stays in school, I'd go Barr...and then see who's there at QB in the 2nd.  Would you guys hate the idea of signing Cutler if the Bears let him walk?

I'd take Bridgewater.  If he stays in school, I'd go Barr...and then see who's there at QB in the 2nd.  Would you guys hate the idea of signing Cutler if the Bears let him walk?

Yeah, this Barr guy is getting a load of hype, but I haven't seen him play this season and there seem to be very few highlights. I'll have to do my research and look him up. This news about Bridgewater considering going back is especially disconcerting because I'm sure most thought he would be our best option. I'm one of the few people who actually like Jay Cutler, and would love for him to be here. He's definitely tough enough to deal with our fanbase lol. At the same time though, I don't think the Bears will let him go. McCown played well but...well he's the back-up. And they hired Cutler's old coach as HC for a reason.

Guest TeamLoloJones

Yeah, this Barr guy is getting a load of hype, but I haven't seen him play this season and there seem to be very few highlights. I'll have to do my research and look him up. This news about Bridgewater considering going back is especially disconcerting because I'm sure most thought he would be our best option. I'm one of the few people who actually like Jay Cutler, and would love for him to be here. He's definitely tough enough to deal with our fanbase lol. At the same time though, I don't think the Bears will let him go. McCown played well but...well he's the back-up. And they hired Cutler's old coach as HC for a reason.

In my opinion Barr is the best player in the draft.  Including Clowney.  Here's a little tidbit of Anthony Barr that some people might not remember...he's the one that ended Matt Barkley's college career with a nasty hit.

This draft is starting to look a bit like last years. There is no consensus No 1 and Bridgewater according to some is in danger of falling out of even the top ten. The QB's have lost their luster and Clowney has teams shaking in their boots. Looks to me like Houston is a bit screwed ... much like KC and Jack were last year. The Keenum thing came crashing down and 1.1 is too early for all the QB's in this draft. Unless a guy or two separates , they might be there at 1.1 with no trade partners looking at the BAA that is not a need. Not a lot different than the spot KC was in last year....

Bridgewater or maybe even Manziel. I think we have to go quarterback, no questions asked. Though a lot of us thought the same in '06 and we went in a completely different direction then.

At 1.1 ? That would be ( IMO anyway)  a screwing ... I think you guys need to hope for a guy to emerge as a worthy 1.1 pick . If it's not a QB , which I don't think it is , trade down and hope your guy is there where the best deal lands you. If he's gone there are some pretty good day 2 QB prospects.

You mention Cutler in another post. I think Chicago keeps him as Trestman  seems to really like him. Plus the cap hit from Schaub and Cutler salary would really crash your already stressed cap. 

Anyway.. the bright side for you guys is it really can't get any worse next year . 

At 1.1 ? That would be ( IMO anyway)  a screwing ... I think you guys need to hope for a guy to emerge as a worthy 1.1 pick . If it's not a QB , which I don't think it is , trade down and hope your guy is there where the best deal lands you. If he's gone there are some pretty good day 2 QB prospects.

You mention Cutler in another post. I think Chicago keeps him as Trestman  seems to really like him. Plus the cap hit from Schaub and Cutler salary would really crash your already stressed cap. 

Anyway.. the bright side for you guys is it really can't get any worse next year . 

Bridgewater is as worthy a number one as anyone would be. I agree about Cutler, and said as much earlier in the thread. Though if we could somehow still attain him, I'm just saying I wouldn't be opposed to it. When a team loses this many games after being so good, it is a mental thing and the losing continues and continues until it is past the point of ridiculousness. You of all people should know what I'm talking about here. I don't think things will be nearly this bad next year.