Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts to use 6th different OL Combination Sunday....

NewColtsFan

That's right.   Six.   6.

That's one of the big reasons our offense sputters the way it does.

To be clear, that's NOT the only reason.   There are lots and lots of other reasons.

But six different offensive line combinations is devastating to the cohesiveness offensive lines need....

Here's the story....

http://espn.go.com/blog/indianapolis-colts/post/_/id/2683/colts-to-use-sixth-different-offensive-line

What difference does that make?. Still the same blocking techniques at either guard spot

The right side is generally where the power guard is and the left side tends to be a better pass blocker. The right side is left more one on one since he's not on the QB's blind side.

Guest TeamLoloJones

The right side is generally where the power guard is and the left side tends to be a better pass blocker. The right side is left more one on one since he's not on the QB's blind side.

My guess is they want to keep Thornton at LG for now because he's been there all season, and because of his preseason injury, he never really got much time at RG.  I would expect that he would be moved to RG next season, even if Thomas wasn't healthy, because Thornton was drafted to be the future RG.  He's physically a better fit there.

It doesn't really matter these days, still gotta block the same way on either side, switching sides isn't going make somebody block better, either you can or you can't, a good defense will find a way to get one on ones on whoever they feel they have the best matchup on. Same run plays get ran to either side so either you can block well or you can't and right now Thornton is struggling at both, switching sides won't change anything.

Being so caught up on which side interior lineman play is just overrated to me.

I actually like this combination. Hopefully it will work out, we will certainly find out pretty fast because

they certainly had heat on Lucks butt in the last game.  

I like when Mcglynn plays center. He's not that bad when he's there, terrible at guard.