Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Free agent WR's

ColtsArmy84

DHB should be cut this week. Would we have the cap space to sign someone off the street for the rest of the season to help us? Cutting DHB wouldn't be a horrible decision since well be letting in walk away at the end of the season anyways. I don't want Randy Moss, Terrell Owens or Chad Johnson but there must be someone out there who can give us a solid 50-75 yards a game. Im still hoping for Rogers to get a legitimate shot but Im thinking it wouldn't hurt to get someone as insurance. We don't want to be one and done in the playoffs! Didn't we work out Ramses Barden? Should try to work out a few more guys this week I think.

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

DHB should be cut this week. Would we have the cap space to sign someone off the street for the rest of the season to help us? Cutting DHB wouldn't be a horrible decision since well be letting in walk away at the end of the season anyways. I don't want Randy Moss, Terrell Owens or Chad Johnson but there must be someone out there who can give us a solid 50-75 yards a game. Im still hoping for Rogers to get a legitimate shot but Im thinking it wouldn't hurt to get someone as insurance. We don't want to be one and done in the playoffs! Didn't we work out Ramses Barden? Should try to work out a few more guys this week I think.

Yea I saw that a couple weeks back that we had worked him out. Not promising that nothing came of it though. Maybe he still has injury issues? I am not sure what the deal is but apparently the Colts didn't like what they saw.

If Rogers pan out we probably won't get a wr in free agency. I still do think will draft a WR even if Rogers become great because the coaches wan't bigger wr's for run blocking. T.Y can still come in on passing downs and take the top off the defense, open things up for Rogers and hopefully Coleman over the middle.

Guest TeamLoloJones

If Rogers pan out we probably won't get a wr in free agency. I still do think will draft a WR even if Rogers become great because the coaches wan't bigger wr's for run blocking. T.Y can still come in on passing downs and take the top off the defense, open things up for Rogers and hopefully Coleman over the middle.

I'd go after Maclin if we could get him dirt cheap.  But otherwise I agree.  Spend our $ on the o-line and defense.  Draft a WR.

Didn't spend very much on DHB. As a third option, taking a chance on him made sense. No one foresaw losing Reggie.

And again with the Erik Walden nonsense...

Honestly.  At this point please forget how much we're paying them or what draft pick we gave up.  That's over.  Evaluate them on their play.  Walden has had some really good games and it's obvious he makes a difference in the run game.

Didn't spend very much on DHB. As a third option, taking a chance on him made sense. No one foresaw losing Reggie.

And again with the Erik Walden nonsense...

I agree, DHB was a cheap risk, I have more problem with them keeping him on the field in spite of the film on him now.

As for TRich, get that line stronger up front and let him break into the open, he will pay off, that was large risk gamble of everything Griggs has done to date. I didn't like itwhen we did it but I can understand why they did it.

As for Walden, I was very critical of him at the first quarter of the season and felt they spent too much on him but I've changed my mind about hi. Strong motor and plays hard. I think he has done a good job for what he is to be. Maybe a hair over pair but I can live with that,Iit's not gross.

DHB is a waste of our time.

Rogers burns his man for our biggest gain of the day and then go sits beside McGlynn.

Dumb Rules i am sad to say..

I agree, DHB was a cheap risk, I have more problem with them keeping him on the field in spite of the film on him now.

As for TRich, get that line stronger up front and let him break into the open, he will pay off, that was large risk gamble of everything Griggs has done to date. I didn't like itwhen we did it but I can understand why they did it.

As for Walden, I was very critical of him at the first quarter of the season and felt they spent too much on him but I've changed my mind about hi. Strong motor and plays hard. I think he has done a good job for what he is to be. Maybe a hair over pair but I can live with that,Iit's not gross.

Who do we bench DBH for? Rogers just played his first game as a pro. Let's slow down on thrusting him into the starting lineup. The reason DHB has been such a disappointment is because Reggie got hurt. Don't misunderstand, DHB wasn't playing well before that, but as the third guy, you shrug and move on. Now we're asking him to be a significant contributor, and he just can't. Makes us all wish we had done something else in the offseason, but it's only because Reggie is hurt that DHB's poor play is such a problem. And I don't think it makes sense to put someone like Rogers into the starting lineup before he's proven to be ready. I hope he gets more reps moving forward, and if that makes DHB expendable as time goes on, great. But let's just be patient and see what happens.

Richardson, yeah, I never liked giving up a first rounder. It's worse knowing that it hasn't worked out well, so far. The line clearly hasn't taken the strides everyone was hoping it would. 

As for Walden, $4m/year is going rate for a Sam backer in this system. It's half of what Kruger got, and Walden has been better than Kruger. It's less than what Jarrett Johnson is making from the Chargers for the same role. It's way less than the Ravens are paying Dumervil and Suggs, who split time at Sam and Rush. And Walden didn't get a big signing bonus, so his contract can be terminated if we want. People didn't like the signing because they wanted a bigger name, and because they thought he was making too much. But you sometimes overpay when you sign free agents. If Walden had been signed for three years, $9m, there'd be a lot less noise. To me, he's been worth his $4m. The problem I have is that we didn't add another pass rusher. Werner and Sidbury haven't held up their end of the bargain. If it were me, I'd have either kept Jerry Hughes, or tried to get Shaun Phillips for about $2m (he's making $1m with the Broncos).

Guest TeamLoloJones

Dirt cheap Maclin? Fantasy world. Lets sign Barry Sanders, his legs should be fresh.

It is possible because he's coming off an injury. He might get only a one year "prove it" contract before he gets a real deal.

It is possible because he's coming off an injury. He might get only a one year "prove it" contract before he gets a real deal.

A lot of cornerbacks took deals like that this year, but I think the difference is that there were a lot of corners available. Not a lot of receivers with Maclin's talent out there right now. His injury is an issue, but I could see a team structuring a long term deal for him in a way that gives the team outs if he can't perform. There's a hundred ways to do it, especially for a team that has a bunch of cap space in 2014. The Raiders could offer him four years, $40m, incentive Year 1, and load options and bonuses into Year 2. That would be better for him than taking one year, $7m, on a "prove it" deal, but it would still be a "prove it" deal for the team. Technically, we could do the same. I'd rather that than a one year deal.

Guest TeamLoloJones

A lot of cornerbacks took deals like that this year, but I think the difference is that there were a lot of corners available. Not a lot of receivers with Maclin's talent out there right now. His injury is an issue, but I could see a team structuring a long term deal for him in a way that gives the team outs if he can't perform. There's a hundred ways to do it, especially for a team that has a bunch of cap space in 2014. The Raiders could offer him four years, $40m, incentive Year 1, and load options and bonuses into Year 2. That would be better for him than taking one year, $7m, on a "prove it" deal, but it would still be a "prove it" deal for the team. Technically, we could do the same. I'd rather that than a one year deal.

My point was, I'd go after Maclin if we could get him cheap.  If a bidding war started I would let him go elsewhere.  Injury or no injury he's not a top flight outside WR.  And that's what we really need.  If Rogers really comes on and fills that roll, then I would be more interested in Maclin to take over for Reggie.

My point was, I'd go after Maclin if we could get him cheap.  If a bidding war started I would let him go elsewhere.  Injury or no injury he's not a top flight outside WR.  And that's what we really need.  If Rogers really comes on and fills that roll, then I would be more interested in Maclin to take over for Reggie.

I agree, he's not a true #1. So, assuming he's healthy, what kind of money do you think Maclin should get? At what point do you back out of the picture?

Recent receivers are making $9-12m/year, 5-6 years, $10-15m signing bonus. Guys like Cruz, Harvin, Wallace, etc., that aren't really #1 receivers. Would you even approach any of those numbers for a fully healthy Maclin?

Guest TeamLoloJones

I agree, he's not a true #1. So, assuming he's healthy, what kind of money do you think Maclin should get? At what point do you back out of the picture?

Recent receivers are making $9-12m/year, 5-6 years, $10-15m signing bonus. Guys like Cruz, Harvin, Wallace, etc., that aren't really #1 receivers. Would you even approach any of those numbers for a fully healthy Maclin?

I would say Maclin is a tier below Cruz and Harvin (when healthy) but I think he's better than Wallace.  I wouldn't go over $8 million a year for Maclin.  I would give out less signing bonus and replace it with roster bonuses to protect against injury.

Who do we bench DBH for? Rogers just played his first game as a pro. Let's slow down on thrusting him into the starting lineup. The reason DHB has been such a disappointment is because Reggie got hurt. Don't misunderstand, DHB wasn't playing well before that, but as the third guy, you shrug and move on. Now we're asking him to be a significant contributor, and he just can't. Makes us all wish we had done something else in the offseason, but it's only because Reggie is hurt that DHB's poor play is such a problem. And I don't think it makes sense to put someone like Rogers into the starting lineup before he's proven to be ready. I hope he gets more reps moving forward, and if that makes DHB expendable as time goes on, great. But let's just be patient and see what happens.

Richardson, yeah, I never liked giving up a first rounder. It's worse knowing that it hasn't worked out well, so far. The line clearly hasn't taken the strides everyone was hoping it would. 

As for Walden, $4m/year is going rate for a Sam backer in this system. It's half of what Kruger got, and Walden has been better than Kruger. It's less than what Jarrett Johnson is making from the Chargers for the same role. It's way less than the Ravens are paying Dumervil and Suggs, who split time at Sam and Rush. And Walden didn't get a big signing bonus, so his contract can be terminated if we want. People didn't like the signing because they wanted a bigger name, and because they thought he was making too much. But you sometimes overpay when you sign free agents. If Walden had been signed for three years, $9m, there'd be a lot less noise. To me, he's been worth his $4m. The problem I have is that we didn't add another pass rusher. Werner and Sidbury haven't held up their end of the bargain. If it were me, I'd have either kept Jerry Hughes, or tried to get Shaun Phillips for about $2m (he's making $1m with the Broncos).

I'm not being critical here, you almost always make good sense, but this is exactly why there are people who are clamoring for Rogers.

DHB can't. Maybe the other guy can.

My opinion of DHB is well documented on this site. Your argument just makes no sense at this stage in the game. You say who do we replace him with? You say he is a guy we expected little from until Wayne went down and now we want more from him. You say he was a 3rd option guy who was asked to step, couldn't do it then or now. You say patience, slow down, it's too quick to thrust in this guy Rogers.

No, it's not too fast. Its week 13 of the season, DHB as a 3 or 4 guy isn't working you have to give someone else the chance to see if he can be the 3rd or 4th guy in the system. What is the worse thing that happens, he fails? He was the 3rd or 4th option guy anyways, right? It's really a no brainer imo, little risk hihh reward. Staying patient only gets you a more frustrated fan base watching this guy run out on the field and drop wide open passes and ending drives while there are at least other players to try out. Pep just needs to scheme simple routes to get the next guy up acclimated. No biggie.

I'm not being critical here, you almost always make good sense, but this is exactly why there are people who are clamoring for Rogers.

DHB can't. Maybe the other guy can.

My opinion of DHB is well documented on this site. Your argument just makes no sense at this stage in the game. You say who do we replace him with? You say he is a guy we expected little from until Wayne went down and now we want more from him. You say he was a 3rd option guy who was asked to step, couldn't do it then or now. You say patience, slow down, it's too quick to thrust in this guy Rogers.

No, it's not too fast. Its week 13 of the season, DHB as a 3 or 4 guy isn't working you have to give someone else the chance to see if he can be the 3rd or 4th guy in the system. What is the worse thing that happens, he fails? He was the 3rd or 4th option guy anyways, right? It's really a no brainer imo, little risk hihh reward. Staying patient only gets you a more frustrated fan base watching this guy run out on the field and drop wide open passes and ending drives while there are at least other players to try out. Pep just needs to scheme simple routes to get the next guy up acclimated. No biggie.

I'm not arguing for DHB. I'm saying that you have to give me a viable option.

So everyone's asking for Da'Rick Rogers. I love his physical attributes. The problem is that he's a gigantic unknown. He fell out of the draft over character concerns. He didn't stick with Buffalo because of work ethic and ability to learn the playbook. There are question marks about Rogers. I don't believe you just throw him into the game just because you're fed up with DHB. I think the staff has taken the perfect approach with Rogers so far, bringing him on slowly, making him earn his chance, rather than just defaulting to him because you're in a pinch. 

I really couldn't care less about the fan base being frustrated. Fans are impossible to appease, even when things are going well. Staying patient is the long term approach, and it makes sense when you're dealing with a guy who has a history of being a knucklehead. 

Bench DHB, fine. But then who do you play? I'm fine with bringing Rogers along and giving him more reps. I'd have been fine with that happening sooner than now. I disagree with the idea that we should have benched DHB and given Rogers all his reps, and at this point, I don't think that's a smart idea. Give Rogers more reps, get him going, keep him grounded, and if he makes plays and makes DHB expendable, that's great.

So everyone's asking for Da'Rick Rogers. I love his physical attributes. The problem is that he's a gigantic unknown. He fell out of the draft over character concerns. He didn't stick with Buffalo because of work ethic and ability to learn the playbook. There are question marks about Rogers. I don't believe you just throw him into the game just because you're fed up with DHB. I think the staff has taken the perfect approach with Rogers so far, bringing him on slowly, making him earn his chance, rather than just defaulting to him because you're in a pinch. 

I really couldn't care less about the fan base being frustrated. Fans are impossible to appease, even when things are going well. Staying patient is the long term approach, and it makes sense when you're dealing with a guy who has a history of being a knucklehead. 

Bench DHB, fine. But then who do you play? I'm fine with bringing Rogers along and giving him more reps. I'd have been fine with that happening sooner than now. I disagree with the idea that we should have benched DHB and given Rogers all his reps, and at this point, I don't think that's a smart idea. Give Rogers more reps, get him going, keep him grounded, and if he makes plays and makes DHB expendable, that's great.

You might be right on this.  I've been pushing for Rodgers over DHB because we don't have much to lose in taking DHB off the field.

But with a guy with a history of character concerns, it might be best in the long run for the player to make him earn every single snap.  

Again, if we've established that DHB can't, and we've got a talent that can only be evaluated in a life action setting, you play the unproven talent.  It's not like it's an all or nothing proposition. 

I see what your saying, and it's semantics on my part. 

I would say Maclin is a tier below Cruz and Harvin (when healthy) but I think he's better than Wallace.  I wouldn't go over $8 million a year for Maclin.  I would give out less signing bonus and replace it with roster bonuses to protect against injury.

Three years, $25m, $3m signing bonus, $3m guaranteed base salary, $125k/game incentive, which would potentially make his Year 1 cap hit $6m (would be "unlikely to be earned" or ULTBE incentives, and wouldn't count against the cap upfront). Roster bonus in Year 2 of $5m, base salary of $3.5m, Year 2 cap hit of $9.5m. Year 3 base salary of $8.5m, Year 3 cap hit of $9.5m. 

Would you do that, or is that too much? You get a one year tryout that you can terminate after Year 1 with a $2m cap penalty in Year 2, and you've only paid a maximum of $8m in Year 1. 

Again, if we've established that DHB can't, and we've got a talent that can only be evaluated in a life action setting, you play the unproven talent.  It's not like it's an all or nothing proposition. 

I see what your saying, and it's semantics on my part. 

Rogers isn't just an unknown talent. He's an unknown character. If we were just talking about a rookie player, no question, he should have been inserted way earlier than Week 13. But Rogers is not your average rookie player.

Rogers isn't just an unknown talent. He's an unknown character. If we were just talking about a rookie player, no question, he should have been inserted way earlier than Week 13. But Rogers is not your average rookie player.

We can only hope so (in a positive context).

I'm going to point out (for the sake of being a contrarian) that the NFL is populated with all kinds of questionable characters. Drafted, undrafted, famous, unknown, the only metric I believe matters to NFL teams is talent. 

I guess as far as I can say with any credibility, is if the coaching staff thinks he's got a grasp on the playbook and the route running is crisp, let him play over DHB.

I agree that Rogers would not be a starter at this point in time.

To answer your question as to who would start if you benched DHB , it would be Brazil.

I have no opinion on the whole issue as it looks to be none of these receivers can get open and I hate the Pep offense. The offense went from a potent exciting unit , run by a great young talent to this petrified pile of puke we have to watch every week.  Our great young QB now looks like a pin ball in regression.

Well said!!!

Guest TeamLoloJones

Three years, $25m, $3m signing bonus, $3m guaranteed base salary, $125k/game incentive, which would potentially make his Year 1 cap hit $6m (would be "unlikely to be earned" or ULTBE incentives, and wouldn't count against the cap upfront). Roster bonus in Year 2 of $5m, base salary of $3.5m, Year 2 cap hit of $9.5m. Year 3 base salary of $8.5m, Year 3 cap hit of $9.5m. 

Would you do that, or is that too much? You get a one year tryout that you can terminate after Year 1 with a $2m cap penalty in Year 2, and you've only paid a maximum of $8m in Year 1. 

I would do it.  That way we can have him and Reggie playing the same position, subbing one in and out.  Maclin would get to learn from Reggie, and take the full time starting role over in 2015.  Then if we keep Reggie after that, he can earn less for a sub role.  Rogers (or whoever we get to be the true #1), Maclin, Hilton, and Reggie (no longer a starter.)  That's a pretty ridiculous receiving corps to go along with Allen and Fleener.

have to like grigson for being aggressive,but DHB,RICHARDSON,WALDEN? HE WAS TAKEN BIG TIME

Do you watch the games? Do you have any idea what you're watching when you see it, or do you just repeat the same nonsense that other uninformed posters say? It has to be one of the 3, because anybody that watches, and knows what they're looking at, wouldn't continue to say ridiculous comments about Walden. He has been a very good pick up!

We can only hope so (in a positive context).

I'm going to point out (for the sake of being a contrarian) that the NFL is populated with all kinds of questionable characters. Drafted, undrafted, famous, unknown, the only metric I believe matters to NFL teams is talent. 

I guess as far as I can say with any credibility, is if the coaching staff thinks he's got a grasp on the playbook and the route running is crisp, let him play over DHB.

All of that is true. Talent trumps all, most of the time. If that weren't the case, Rogers wouldn't be on the Colts' roster at all. But that doesn't mean that their approach is overly conservative. Maybe it is; like I said, I probably would have been getting Rogers on the field a month ago, and maybe have him up to 30 snaps a game by now. But I appreciate their approach at this point. 

To your last paragraph, that's the IF at this point. Rogers had several months to learn the Bills playbook, and didn't show enough improvement for them. He's been here about three months, most of that time on the practice squad. I don't see him at practice or in meetings, but it's reasonable to assume that he's still learning the system.

I'm all for bringing him on. I'm not in favor of holding on to hope regarding DHB. I just don't think we have the luxury of benching DHB at this point.

I agree that Rogers would not be a starter at this point in time.

To answer your question as to who would start if you benched DHB , it would be Brazil.

I have no opinion on the whole issue as it looks to be none of these receivers can get open and I hate the Pep offense. The offense went from a potent exciting unit , run by a great young talent to this petrified pile of puke we have to watch every week.  Our great young QB now looks like a pin ball in regression.

Brazill gets plenty of reps, and hasn't stepped up. He catches better than DHB, but he doesn't get separation consistently. The coaches have been giving everyone but Rogers opportunities, and now, he's getting a shot.

I would do it.  That way we can have him and Reggie playing the same position, subbing one in and out.  Maclin would get to learn from Reggie, and take the full time starting role over in 2015.  Then if we keep Reggie after that, he can earn less for a sub role.  Rogers (or whoever we get to be the true #1), Maclin, Hilton, and Reggie (no longer a starter.)  That's a pretty ridiculous receiving corps to go along with Allen and Fleener.

Hmm. I'll keep that in mind. I'm doing some projections and plan on doing a mock offseason at some point. You mentioned some other positions in another thread, so if you have any targets in mind, let me know. 

every penny oline and def , point blank draft oline and def , sign oline and def , bethea, PAT ANGERERmcgylnn , satele has to go and i mean go big time , 

we need oline first and foremost , then secondary help and pass rush , with the money we has i would re up mac, davis, vinny, and couple guys on the cheap like d.brown moala etc.... but go after a center and a guard , maybe johnathan martin can go from tackle to guard if he is cut from miami luck knows him etc... not likey but u never know, we need a stud corner back , but can settle for a young rangy guy like DRC in his old form i think we can get him back to there, 

Guest TeamLoloJones

Hmm. I'll keep that in mind. I'm doing some projections and plan on doing a mock offseason at some point. You mentioned some other positions in another thread, so if you have any targets in mind, let me know. 

I'm about to post my first mock 2014 Colts Roster so watch for it.

Do you watch the games? Do you have any idea what you're watching when you see it, or do you just repeat the same nonsense that other uninformed posters say? It has to be one of the 3, because anybody that watches, and knows what they're looking at, wouldn't continue to say ridiculous comments about Walden. He has been a very good pick up!

Dare I say, him and Gosdar are the two good pick up's out of that haul.