Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Free agent WR's

ColtsArmy84

have to like grigson for being aggressive,but DHB,RICHARDSON,WALDEN? HE WAS TAKEN BIG TIME

im not ready to call the richardson deal a bust just yet. I mean even brown had issues running the ball in his first start yesterday, with the exception of the final drive. Give richardson a better offensive line and he will be better. 

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Dare I say, him and Gosdar are the two good pick up's out of that haul.

I don't get the standard that people hold FA pickups to.

RJF has been really good, Landry has been a difference maker, we'd be dead at nose tackle without Franklin (even though he hasn't been great)... Then there are the two that got injured early, Bradshaw and Thomas, but both were playing well before injury. Thomas is a great long term pickup. 

Signing DHB is hurting us, at the moment. I think that knocked us off the scent of drafting a receiver. Even someone that hasn't been used a lot by his team, like Cordarrelle Patterson, has been more impactful than DHB has been for us. So while it wasn't a big money move, and we didn't necessarily overpay, it's looking like a bad decision, all things considered.

Could have done better than Toler, for about the same money. He's been hurt a lot, and he was only average when he was on the field. 

In all, I'd give our FA pickups a B-. 

im not ready to call the richardson deal a bust just yet. I mean even brown had issues running the ball in his first start yesterday, with the exception of the final drive. Give richardson a better offensive line and he will be better. 

That's true. However, the inescapable truth is that we shouldn't have surrendered a first rounder for him. We'd have been better off giving up a 5th for Mikel Leshoure.

I don't get the standard that people hold FA pickups to.

RJF has been really good, Landry has been a difference maker, we'd be dead at nose tackle without Franklin (even though he hasn't been great)... Then there are the two that got injured early, Bradshaw and Thomas, but both were playing well before injury. Thomas is a great long term pickup. 

Signing DHB is hurting us, at the moment. I think that knocked us off the scent of drafting a receiver. Even someone that hasn't been used a lot by his team, like Cordarrelle Patterson, has been more impactful than DHB has been for us. So while it wasn't a big money move, and we didn't necessarily overpay, it's looking like a bad decision, all things considered.

Could have done better than Toler, for about the same money. He's been hurt a lot, and he was only average when he was on the field. 

In all, I'd give our FA pickups a B-. 

RJF has been solid, not notable very often though. He's hurt till the playoffs in all likely hood. He'll be here for awhile so we'll see. 

Bradshaw would have been excellent as far as I can tell, if not for the injury.

Donald Thomas, we barley knew you. There's a chance he's just done. I hope not. I cant say it was a good move right now.

Landry. He's good at being a linebacker coming out of the secondary, but he can't cover as well as I hoped. Injuries keep him off the field also. 

Toler is okay ish when he plays. Too much cash there in my estimation. In fact, how much money is on IR or injured this year? We struggle week to week to figure out how our guys can get blown out to the Rams and Cards, and a big component to that can be found here. FA not coming through as was planned. 

Do you watch the games? Do you have any idea what you're watching when you see it, or do you just repeat the same nonsense that other uninformed posters say? It has to be one of the 3, because anybody that watches, and knows what they're looking at, wouldn't continue to say ridiculous comments about Walden. He has been a very good pick up!

walden has been pretty good. Diamond in the rough 

RJF has been solid, not notable very often though. He's hurt till the playoffs in all likely hood. He'll be here for awhile so we'll see. 

Bradshaw would have been excellent as far as I can tell, if not for the injury.

Donald Thomas, we barley knew you. There's a chance he's just done. I hope not. I cant say it was a good move right now.

Landry. He's good at being a linebacker coming out of the secondary, but he can't cover as well as I hoped. Injuries keep him off the field also. 

Toler is okay ish when he plays. Too much cash there in my estimation. In fact, how much money is on IR or injured this year? We struggle week to week to figure out how our guys can get blown out to the Rams and Cards, and a big component to that can be found here. FA not coming through as was planned. 

Perhaps I should have mentioned in my previous post that FA is tricky, for various reasons. A successful free agency period is one that's about 60% up, 20% down, and 20% "meh." The average is probably more like 30% up, 50% down, 20% "meh." That's why I like Grigson's approach so much. If you sign three big time guys, the odds are that only one of them is going to really work out for you. He spread his money out, got some value for guys, structured balanced contracts that give the team future flexibility, and addressed a lot of positions. Given that standard (all numbers approximate, by the way), it's hard to look at the way our signings have worked out and be negative about what we did. If you feel that FA didn't work as well as planned, then I think maybe you expected too much.

Can't do anything about injuries. Bradshaw, Landry and Toler had injury histories, so I get that. But overall, players are going to get hurt. You can't foresee it, and you can't avoid it. (But again, you can have a $60m guy get hurt, or you can have a $15m guy get hurt. One is way worse than the other.)

I disagree on Landry. He's not nearly as bad in coverage as he's made out to be, and he's not often in man coverage anyways. He's got range and he brings the pain, that's what we were hoping. Sucks that he's missed four games, but he's been solid on the field. Easily our best safety this year; Bethea has been awful. I cringe when I think about how bad our back end would be without Landry.

We're all entitled to their opinions. I just think people expect every FA signing to be a stud, and it never works that way. That's why some GMs prefer not to spend money in free agency, because there are so many variables and the success rate is so low. But if you sign 10 guys, and 5-6 of them are pretty good, 2-3 of them are "meh," and 2-3 of them are bad signings, I think that's pretty strong. That's about where we are.

RJF, Cherilus, Landry, Thomas, Walden, Franklin, all pretty good signings. Bradshaw, Toler, meh. DHB, Sidbury, bad or worthless signings. Not sure where I'd put Hasselbeck; I'm fine with the signing, but he hasn't been needed at all.

Brazill gets plenty of reps, and hasn't stepped up. He catches better than DHB, but he doesn't get separation consistently. The coaches have been giving everyone but Rogers opportunities, and now, he's getting a shot.

That's why I said that I have no opinion on benching DHB. It's like asking me if a want a turd sandwitch of a pie of poop.

DHB should be cut this week. Would we have the cap space to sign someone off the street for the rest of the season to help us? Cutting DHB wouldn't be a horrible decision since well be letting in walk away at the end of the season anyways. I don't want Randy Moss, Terrell Owens or Chad Johnson but there must be someone out there who can give us a solid 50-75 yards a game. Im still hoping for Rogers to get a legitimate shot but Im thinking it wouldn't hurt to get someone as insurance. We don't want to be one and done in the playoffs! Didn't we work out Ramses Barden? Should try to work out a few more guys this week I think.

As much as I would love an upgrade it's not going to happen til next year at the earliest.

Who do we bench DBH for? Rogers just played his first game as a pro. Let's slow down on thrusting him into the starting lineup. The reason DHB has been such a disappointment is because Reggie got hurt. Don't misunderstand, DHB wasn't playing well before that, but as the third guy, you shrug and move on. Now we're asking him to be a significant contributor, and he just can't. Makes us all wish we had done something else in the offseason, but it's only because Reggie is hurt that DHB's poor play is such a problem. And I don't think it makes sense to put someone like Rogers into the starting lineup before he's proven to be ready. I hope he gets more reps moving forward, and if that makes DHB expendable as time goes on, great. But let's just be patient and see what happens.

Richardson, yeah, I never liked giving up a first rounder. It's worse knowing that it hasn't worked out well, so far. The line clearly hasn't taken the strides everyone was hoping it would. 

As for Walden, $4m/year is going rate for a Sam backer in this system. It's half of what Kruger got, and Walden has been better than Kruger. It's less than what Jarrett Johnson is making from the Chargers for the same role. It's way less than the Ravens are paying Dumervil and Suggs, who split time at Sam and Rush. And Walden didn't get a big signing bonus, so his contract can be terminated if we want. People didn't like the signing because they wanted a bigger name, and because they thought he was making too much. But you sometimes overpay when you sign free agents. If Walden had been signed for three years, $9m, there'd be a lot less noise. To me, he's been worth his $4m. The problem I have is that we didn't add another pass rusher. Werner and Sidbury haven't held up their end of the bargain. If it were me, I'd have either kept Jerry Hughes, or tried to get Shaun Phillips for about $2m (he's making $1m with the Broncos).

Good post,  SM....   but I'm not sure why you singled out Werner/Sidbury.     I thought Sidbury has been on IR since roughly the end of pre-season?   

And Werner has been hurt for roughly half of his rookie year.

I think it's hard for either to have held up their end of the bargain under those circumstances....

Hey,  just sayin.....

Pretty much.

I'm excited for Rogers, but not getting carried away. 

Ditto... and I don't understand all the hate for DHB. About a month ago , a thread asked opinions on him and I simply said "he's Darrius Heyward - Bey. He turned out to be what he was. It was a low leverage gamble that failed.

Not to jump around too much (I am), but Grigson's 2nd year might end up to be as bad as his first year was good. 

Good post,  SM....   but I'm not sure why you singled out Werner/Sidbury.     I thought Sidbury has been on IR since roughly the end of pre-season?   

And Werner has been hurt for roughly half of his rookie year.

I think it's hard for either to have held up their end of the bargain under those circumstances....

Hey,  just sayin.....

I think the staff expected those two guys to contribute as pass rushers, and so far, they have not. That's all I'm saying. We're short pass rushers, having even traded one away (Hughes had two sacks yesterday, and is up to 8 on the year, by the way; that's more than the #2 and #3 sack men on our roster... combined). I have to think we expected more.

I'm not saying anything about those two guys. I'm more talking about the composition of the roster, and the position we signed Walden to play (which is not pass rusher).

I think the staff expected those two guys to contribute as pass rushers, and so far, they have not. That's all I'm saying. We're short pass rushers, having even traded one away (Hughes had two sacks yesterday, and is up to 8 on the year, by the way; that's more than the #2 and #3 sack men on our roster... combined). I have to think we expected more.

I'm not saying anything about those two guys. I'm more talking about the composition of the roster, and the position we signed Walden to play (which is not pass rusher).

Hughes is at 8 sacks?     Really?

Oy'!!       

That deserves a.....     :slaphead:

And a........         :facepalm: 

Hughes is at 8 sacks?     Really?

Oy'!!       

That deserves a.....     :slaphead:

And a........         :facepalm:

Lots of decisions to question that the Colts staff has done for sure.....But hey were 8-4 somehow or another, If it was me Hughes would have never been traded and I did not like it the moment it happened, I thought Hughes showed plenty of potential last year while also producing well for being in a rotation

Lots of decisions to question that the Colts staff has done for sure.....But hey were 8-4 somehow or another, If it was me Hughes would have never been traded and I did not like it the moment it happened, I thought Hughes showed plenty of potential last year while also producing well for being in a rotation

not me

I thought Hughes was horrible last year

not me

I thought Hughes was horrible last year

He wasn't close to great but he was much better then most will give him credit for, 41 tackles....3 for loss and 4 sacks as a rotational OLB in the 1st year of a knew scheme for him, Thats not bad at all, Walden has been better against the run this year(marginally) but he is not the pass rusher Hughes is

At this point in the season I don't think there is anyone better who could be signed to replace DHB and we just don't have the bodies to be able to afford to release him. 

Now as far as doing something to get a WR this off-season rather it be in free agency or the draft I am all for. 

I know there are injury concerns, but what about bringing Austin Collie back.  The guy was able to get some separation and he has very good hands.

Last I heard he was released by the Pats because he got hurt.  I don't think he's healthy yet.

Also he doesn't really replace DHB.  He's a slot guy and DHB plays the outside.  Now if we just wanted to bring Collie in to be a slot guy that I could be for but again I don't think he's healthy. 

He wasn't close to great but he was much better then most will give him credit for, 41 tackles....3 for loss and 4 sacks as a rotational OLB in the 1st year of a knew scheme for him, Thats not bad at all, Walden has been better against the run this year(marginally) but he is not the pass rusher Hughes is

hughes was atrocious vs the run last year, could not come close to setting an edge

Ok now your just arguing to just argue, Ill just leave it like that

no I am not. Mathis and especially freeney were way better at setting the edge. That is just a fact.

Hughes was not good vs the run. He was ok at chasing the play down after he got blown out of it

Next year, i really hope we don't consider dishing out 60 + million for a WR. I will barf, if we give 'J.M.' that type of dough. We should draft a WR in the later rounds (KENNY BELL-NEBRASKA) and develope rogers and brazill.

1.WAYNE

2.HILTON

3.ROGERS

4.BRAZILL

5.K.BELL

6.MAURICE PURIFY (AFL)

Next year, i really hope we don't consider dishing out 60 + million for a WR. I will barf, if we give 'J.M.' that type of dough. We should draft a WR in the later rounds (KENNY BELL-NEBRASKA) and develope rogers and brazill.

1.WAYNE

2.HILTON

3.ROGERS

4.BRAZILL

5.K.BELL

6.MAURICE PURIFY (AFL)

I would love it if the Colts could draft mike evans but he will go in the first round. Anyhow I do like your list. Rogers at number 3 is perfect.

1.WAYNE

2.HILTON

3.ROGERS

4.BRAZILL

5.K.BELL

6.MAURICE PURIFY (AFL)

no to 5 and 6. I take it you are a husker fan

stats can be very misleading

I thought and argued the same thing last year from watching the game when people were screaming to cut him ... its not just he stats.  He was learning a new position, and playing part time.  With the exception of Mathis having 4 more sacks they played at about the same level at OLB.

I thought and argued the same thing last year from watching the game when people were screaming to cut him ... its not just he stats. He was learning a new position, and playing part time. With the exception of Mathis having 4 more sacks they played at about the same level at OLB.

i couldn't disagree more. Dude was a joke in run d and could only get pressure when unblocked. Pags and grigs must have seen the same things I did

I get asked that alot...nope. They just happen to come from the same school. Kenny Bell is the hidden gem in this entire draft and Maurice Purify is another hidden gem in the AFL.

purify can't run. Which means he can't play in the nfl.

Bell might be ok but I am just not sold

purify can't run. Which means he can't play in the nfl.

Bell might be ok but I am just not sold

Have you seen purify play? He's very fast, gets seperation at T.L.O.S., and runs crisp routes. The AFL has really helped him develope. He'll be cheap to bring in.