Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Once again, why arent we doing more bootlegs?

ReMeDy

Every time we did one in the game, it worked phenomenally. I recall only two bootlegs. One time, DHB was wide open for what should have been an easy completion (even if it was dropped). The other was on our final TD drive where Luck took it himself for a big gain.

Bootlegs keep Andrew Luck clean, take full advantage of his mobility, and Luck is accurate on the run. I really don't get why they aren't using these more often.

Every time we did one in the game, it worked phenomenally. I recall only two bootlegs. One time, DHB was wide open for what should have been an easy completion (even if it was dropped). The other was on our final TD drive where Luck took it himself for a big gain.

Bootlegs keep Andrew Luck clean, take full advantage of his mobility, and Luck is accurate on the run. I really don't get why they aren't using these more often.

Thnak you Dy.....

AS much as I like Donald Brown...Andrew is our best running back.

there are half a dozen times every game when he could bootleg..gain 5-10 yards and run out of bounds...before anyone touches him.

Put it in Pep!!

To be fair to pep , the oline stinks hard to call great plays when guys cant block

That's actually a perfect reason to call bootlegs. It takes pressure off the linemen to hold on blocks one on one, and it allows the quarterback more time to find a receiver. It also fits perfectly with slow developing routes for receivers that struggle to get separation.

So while you're trying to be fair to Pep, you're actually pointing out how silly it is that we don't run more bootlegs. I had the same criticism of Arians, by the way. The bootleg should be a staple of our passing attack, with the QB and offensive line we have.

That's actually a perfect reason to call bootlegs. It takes pressure off the linemen to hold on blocks one on one, and it allows the quarterback more time to find a receiver. It also fits perfectly with slow developing routes for receivers that struggle to get separation.

So while you're trying to be fair to Pep, you're actually pointing out how silly it is that we don't run more bootlegs. I had the same criticism of Arians, by the way. The bootleg should be a staple of our passing attack, with the QB and offensive line we have.

Gary Kubiak for OC?

Bootlegs are fine once in a while but you don't want too many and you definitely don't want it to become a staple of the offense.  With the issues on the oline the bootleg makes sense, but you would really be stunting the development of an excellent, young QB.  Bootlegs take away half the field and basically stack the receivers at 5-8, 10-12, and 15-20 yards down the field, the QB does not have to go through progressions, does not have to develop the pocket feel on when to get rid of the ball, he just looks and if one of the WRs are open then he throws it.  If not then he runs and gets as much as he can.

I would much rather give up a few first downs this year and use the bootleg sparingly and further the development of Luck than let Lukc use it as a crutch.

im just scared of luck taking a hit to the back tryinf to fake and roll out at least he can see the rush and protect him self

Sparingly, I'm for it.  Not a lot though.  For one, Luck already has run for over 300 yards (50 more than last year on 14 less attempts)

Lucks_Stats_zpsf8f30b5a.png

After a time, it will be on film and teams will know formations/down/distance where we use it and stuff it via overloading DB's and get a pick, or crash in on Luck and get a hit on him heading out of bounds.  

Luck is on pace to get sacked as much as he did under Arians, but with 70 less projected throws.  Also throw for 600-700 less yards, 3 less TD's, 7 less INT's

One set numbers is Arians vertical  "Air Coryell" attack, other is Pep's hybrid WCO.  I don't see any improvement in any category with our new O scheme.  None.

Sparingly, I'm for it.  Not a lot though.  For one, Luck already has run for over 300 yards (50 more than last year on 14 less attempts)

Lucks_Stats_zpsf8f30b5a.png

After a time, it will be on film and teams will know formations/down/distance where we use it and stuff it via overloading DB's and get a pick, or crash in on Luck and get a hit on him heading out of bounds.  

Luck is on pace to get sacked as much as he did under Arians, but with 70 less projected throws.  Also throw for 600-700 less yards, 3 less TD's, 7 less INT's

One set numbers is Arians vertical  "Air Coryell" attack, other is Pep's hybrid WCO.  I don't see any improvement in any category with our new O scheme.  None.

It's sad, really. I'm not a fan of Arians' passing concepts, overall. His leaving gave us an opportunity to run a more practical offense, and we botched that opportunity tremendously. Hamilton's concepts aren't any better, and because of the inability to run the ball coupled with the insistence on running the ball, the offense has been even less effective. 

In no way do I wish we still had Arians. But I definitely wish we had done something other than Pep Hamilton. My hope is that he's willing and able to make significant adjustments to his approach, gameplan and playcalling before next season. Can't count on running the same offense and just hoping that the offensive line gets better. And even if the line play is much better, the passing concepts, particularly on third down, are just as frustrating as Arians' concepts.

If that's the case, get rid of all play action. That's silly.

dont get me wrong i would love to see some of them play like back in the day with peyton long stretch pa to edge deep to marvin or d clark up the seam or slanting reggie trust me i miss it more than anybody , when we ran double tight stretch pa, tight fake the block release up the seam to clear out the under route for slot guy LB was late due to having to wait for the roll out to develop 

dont get me wrong i would love to see some of them play like back in the day with peyton long stretch pa to edge deep to marvin or d clark up the seam or slanting reggie trust me i miss it more than anybody , when we ran double tight stretch pa, tight fake the block release up the seam to clear out the under route for slot guy LB was late due to having to wait for the roll out to develop 

Right. That's a play that we should bring back, the stretch play, along with variations off of it. 

And by the way, when I talk about bootlegs, I'm not talking about QB keepers necessarily. Just the play action one way, then bootleg the QB the other way. It would work well with our crossing patterns, it takes some pressure off the linemen from having to hold one particular block for any length of time, it forces the defense to chase the QB, and it takes advantage of Luck's athleticism. Look back to the way the Texans would run bootleg against the Colts. They killed us with it in the 2010 opener, and Matt Schaub wasn't a threat to run the ball. I think it's a concept we should be taking advantage of 10 times a game. 

Last thing, everyone talks about not wanting to expose Luck to more hits. Luck gets pressured and hit more than any QB in the league. I'd rather run read option than just drop him back and let him get blasted over and over again. Some of it is his fault, holding the ball too long, not climbing the pocket (like the sack where Castonzo got beat, Luck had plenty of room to step up and avoid the hit). But mostly, our line and our lack of separation from receivers is leading to him getting hit a ton. If we add a handful of designed keepers to the gameplan, he's not going to get hit anymore than he's getting hit now.

It's sad, really. I'm not a fan of Arians' passing concepts, overall. His leaving gave us an opportunity to run a more practical offense, and we botched that opportunity tremendously. Hamilton's concepts aren't any better, and because of the inability to run the ball coupled with the insistence on running the ball, the offense has been even less effective. 

In no way do I wish we still had Arians. But I definitely wish we had done something other than Pep Hamilton. My hope is that he's willing and able to make significant adjustments to his approach, gameplan and playcalling before next season. Can't count on running the same offense and just hoping that the offensive line gets better. And even if the line play is much better, the passing concepts, particularly on third down, are just as frustrating as Arians' concepts.

I know.  a couple less fumbles and couple less INT's.  That's it.  Everything else is lower, often significantly.  At least Luck was fairly successful in 3rd down last year.  This year? {shudder}

2013-

Colts_2013_zps427e366d.png

2012-

Colts_2012_zpsfcbcc5c6.png

We need some plays that get Luck into an area to survey his receivers or take off down field at times.  you're right.