Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Indianapolis signs Safety Corey Lynch

Coltsfan911

Posted by coltsindianapolis on November 26, 2013 – 8:52 pm

The Indianapolis Colts today signed free agent safety Corey Lynch to the active roster.

Lynch, 6-0, 210 pounds, has appeared in 71 career games, making 12 starts for Tennessee (2013), San Diego (2012), Tampa Bay (2009-2011) and Cincinnati (2008). He holds career totals of 95 tackles (65 solo), 15 passes defensed, five interceptions, one fumble recovery and 48 special teams tackles. In 2013, he appeared in three games with the Titans and totaled three special teams tackles.

In 2012, Lynch saw action in all 16 games for the third consecutive season and notched career highs with 47 tackles and two interceptions to go along with eight special teams tackles. In 2010, he played in all 16 games (five starts) for the Buccaneers and registered 24 tackles, one interception, two passes defensed and a career-high 18 special team tackles.

Like the move. Veteran depth.

From a Titans fan on PFT:

tennesseeoilers says:Oct 29, 2013 6:56 AM

In addition to being a versatile safety who’s solid at both the strong and free safety positions, Lynch is a special teams standout. Frankly, they shouldn’t have cut him during the offseason.

Never heard of him, but welcome to the :colts:

He was a starter and special teams standout in Tennessee. With Howel relegated to the IR wasteland, we needed more depth there, and since Herron is likely to be inactive for Rainey, the special teams addition is a boon too.

Tyler Brooke @TylerDBrooke

Antoine Bethea ranks as the seventh-worst safety in pass coverage this season, per @PFF

Lynch is a special teams player.. this team needs someone like Sherrod Martin who can come in and start at FS because Bethea has been awful in coverage.

7th worst?!!!!

That's horrible!!!!!!!!!

:sarcasm:

Nah but that is pretty bad

Antoine Bethea ranks as the seventh-worst safety in pass coverage this season, per @PFF

Lynch is a special teams player.. this team needs someone like Sherrod Martin who can come in and start at FS because Bethea has been awful in coverage.

Who the $&@% is Sherrod Martin and what makes him qualified to come in off the streets and start over bethea?

Its been obvious too ... I was at least expecting him to make his presence felt helping Vaughn with Toler out, but he was still MIA.

I don't know if Bethea is back next year and if he is it will be at a big pay cut.

Its been obvious too ... I was at least expecting him to make his presence felt helping Vaughn with Toler out, but he was still MIA.

I don't know if Bethea is back next year and if he is it will be at a big pay cut.

Bethea has been overhyped by some of us Indy fans for years honestly..He is easily replaceable......2 picks in the last 59 games and 23 passes defensed and 3 forced fumbles? Not much production for as much as he gets beat......I don't have a problem if a player gets beat sometimes as long as he is making plays but he hasn't made many plays BUT lets not overlook that he was a 6th round draft pick

Bethea has been overhyped by some of us Indy fans for years honestly..He is easily replaceable......2 picks in the last 59 games and 23 passes defensed and 3 forced fumbles? Not much production for as much as he gets beat......I don't have a problem if a player gets beat sometimes as long as he is making plays but he hasn't made many plays BUT lets not overlook that he was a 6th round draft pick

I never understood the hype of this guy. A very pedestrian safety to be honest with you. I think lynch is equally as good, if not better.

I never understood the hype of this guy. A very pedestrian safety to be honest with you. I think lynch is equally as good, if not better.

I wont speak for if Lynch is better or not because I have not seen enough of him to say he is...He was also a 6th round draft pick but in the 2008 draft. But there is no doubt Bethea is easily replaceable.

I wont speak for if Lynch is better or not because I have not seen enough of him to say he is...He was also a 6th round draft pick but in the 2008 draft. But there is no doubt Bethea is easily replaceable.

Lynch, just isn't an out standing special team's player, he was also a productive starter that can play both safety positions. I really like the pick up of him.

Funny I said this about Bethea after the Denver game and got blasted

Lynch, just isn't an out standing special team's player, he was also a productive starter that can play both safety positions. I really like the pick up of him.

well only 12 starts in 71 games now......I wonder how he would fit in this scheme though...But he does show ability to be a playmaker in his 12 starts, I think Betheas best fit is in a Cover 2, He is not a very aggressive Safety, He seems to prefer waiting to come up and tackle

I remember some people in the forum a while back comparing Bethea to Polamalu and Ed Reed. 

well only 12 starts in 71 games now......I wonder how he would fit in this scheme though...But he does show ability to be a playmaker in his 12 starts, I think Betheas best fit is in a Cover 2, He is not a very aggressive Safety, He seems to prefer waiting to come up and tackle

You'll really like corey, just give him a shot. He brings energy and passion to the unit. I think we now have a game changing special teams unit with s.brown, lynch, studebaker and j.brown.

Bethea had a couple really good years. Then our secondary got destroyed with injuries, and he stopped really making plays. This year, he just looks terrible in coverage.

Guest TeamLoloJones

Bethea had a couple really good years. Then our secondary got destroyed with injuries, and he stopped really making plays. This year, he just looks terrible in coverage.

It'd be nice if Jairus Byrd didn't want serious money, because then he'd be my favorite FA target.

I wish I could find that thread. Maybe it was in the old forum.

Nah, it wasn't the old forum. I know cause I was one of them. Said Bethea played like a poor man's Ed Reed.

And it made sense at the time cause that's when we were getting reports from NFL insider's & whatnot that Bethea was training with Ed Reed soooo yeah

It'd be nice if Jairus Byrd didn't want serious money, because then he'd be my favorite FA target.

Yeah, don't count on it. Talk about backing up the Brinks truck, dude wants it all. When healthy, he might be worth it, to be honest, but I think we can find an adequate safety for much less than $9-10m/year. 

We have never really had a good secondary since he came into the league, Serviceable I suppose but nothing real good or consistent, He did have a couple really good years but since then its like his skills at being a play maker disappeared or something, I don't know but this secondary group is the best we have had around him and he is on pace to have his least productive year since 2007......Now obviously numbers are only part of the story but like you say he has looked terrible in coverage often this year

Guest TeamLoloJones

Yeah, don't count on it. Talk about backing up the Brinks truck, dude wants it all. When healthy, he might be worth it, to be honest, but I think we can find an adequate safety for much less than $9-10m/year. 

Yeah...that's why I've left Byrd off my FA wish list.  I don't think he will fall for the Luck pull that some free agents might.  He's going to go straight to the highest bidder.  And I can't blame him, just about anywhere would be an upgrade over Buffalo.

Has he still been dealing with injuries? I don't want another guy with injury issues, even if he is a good safety.  I agree the team could find a good guy for less money.

Has he still been dealing with injuries? I don't want another guy with injury issues, even if he is a good safety.  I agree the team could find a good guy for less money.

He missed time earlier this year with a foot injury. Who knows how serious it was. He was upset about his contract status, so it might have been a disguised holdout. He came back in Week 6 and hasn't missed a game. Had two picks in the Bills last game. He's a really good player, still young, hasn't missed games with injuries before this year. He's a top three safety, I think.

He's been burned more than Bethea, also. Very hot and cold, he is. No in between.

I actually have not watched any Steeler games this year, I have been over here at moms for the holidays for about a week now, Im up to date on Colts games of course and have had time to watch the All 22 of he thumping we took by the Cardinals