Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Wes Welker out vs. New England?

oldunclemark

On TV..many are saying they are  'sure' Wes Welker would not miss playing against NE but in Denver's media there appears to be doubt...

He isn't allowed to practice (NFL concussion rules) until Friday and if the cant go Friday., he cant play.

If Welker isn't playing...then NE should be favored

Guest TeamLoloJones

They'd just put Julius Thomas in the slot and use Tamme at TE.

They could very well put anyone in the slot and put Julius outside.  In 3 WR sets, I would put Decker in the slot and put Andre Caldwell outside with D. Thomas.

I think Andre Caldwell could do the job for one night. The Broncos still have Thomas, Thomas, and Decker. Still it is a hit for Denver.

As anyone noticed that the Bronco offense seems to be slowing down a little bit more every week?

Its true....I think they're seeing 6-man fronts daring Peyton to check down and run.

Nobody wants to get iced for 42 points...an 5 or 6 DBs (I thought KC used 6 at times) slow Denver's roll

USA Today is reporting Wes Welker practiced with the team... ran routes, and caught passes from Peyton Manning. It sounds like he passed any tests they had, and will be good to go.

No kidding. Really? Wow that was some fast recovery from a concussion lol.

In a way I want to see him out there too because of the story line with him vs. the Pats......

No kidding. Really? Wow that was some fast recovery from a concussion lol.

In a way I want to see him out there too because of the story line with him vs. the Pats......

The concussion testing is a joke and a half. These guys want to play, the team wants them to play - not hard to do the math.

Happy to see Welker out there though. Don't want any excuses from Broncs fans post-game. ;)

Hi guys, Pats fan here.

I got my doubts this Sunday.  I pick the Broncos to win as they should be favorites.

A few things that can give the Pats the edge in this match up below...

Weather - Peyton has struggled in bad cold weather through out his career especially in NE.  It's going to be in the teens 14 to 19 degrees around game time and windy according to Weather Channel.  So it could be a low scoring game which benefits the Pats since they're running game is pretty good as they can try to control the ball and keep Peyton off the field.  Broncos and Peyton want to throw the ball and light up any team with 40+ points.  I don't see that happening in this game.  I do wish the Pats still had their grass field for these situations.

Health - Peyton could be hampered a bit by a ankle injury or sore ankle.  Welker might not play due to the concussion or if he does play he won't be 100%.

Reasons why Broncos can win...

Health - Pats defense has injuries.  Wilfork is gone.  Talib is hobbled with a bad hip.

Pats' Defense is mediocre.  They can't get consistent pressure on the QB and their secondary is not good at all.

Pats' Offense has been inconsistent all year.  Brady still isn't on the same page with his new WR's.  Their offensive line isn't what it use to be.  No more Welker, Hernandez, Branch, Lloyd, Woodhead.

Who ever wins will win by 3 to 7 points IMO.

Guest TeamLoloJones

Hi guys, Pats fan here.

I got my doubts this Sunday.  I pick the Broncos to win as they should be favorites.

Weather - Peyton has struggled in bad cold weather through out his career especially in NE.  It's going to be in the teens 14 to 19 degrees around game time and windy according to Weather Channel.  So it could be a low scoring game which benefits the Pats since they're running game is pretty good as they can try to control the ball and keep Peyton off the field.  Broncos and Peyton want to throw the ball and light up any team with 40+ points.  I don't see that happening in this game.  I do wish the Pats still had their grass field for these situations.

Health - Peyton could be hampered a bit by a ankle injury or sore ankle.  Welker might not play due to the concussion or if he does play he won't be 100%.

Health - Pats defense has injuries.  Wilfork is gone.  Talib is hobbled with a bad hip.

Pats' Defense is mediocre.  They can't get consistent pressure on the QB and their secondary is not good at all.

Pats' Offense has been inconsistent all year.  Brady still isn't on the same page with his new WR's.  Their offensive line isn't what it use to be.  No more Welker, Hernandez, Branch, Lloyd, Woodhead.

Good first post...welcome to the forum.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap2000000285467/article/wes-welker-peyton-manning-back-at-broncos-practice

Wes Welker has taken a positive step toward an active return to his old stomping grounds.

NFL Media's Steve Cyphers reports the Denver Broncos wide receiver practiced Thursday as the team continues to prepare for its Sunday night matchup against the New England Patriots.

Welker's status has been unclear since being diagnosed with a concussion that he suffered during Sunday night's 27-17 win over the Kansas City Chiefs. Welker is still working through the league's concussion protocol and must be cleared by an independent neurologist to play Sunday.

Quarterback Peyton Manning (ankle) and tight end Julius Thomas (knee) also returned to practice after sitting out Wednesday.

Seems I am stealing the job of Bayone today ;)

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/eye-on-football/24250329/tom-brady-wes-welker-will-definitely-play-sunday

Pats quarterback Tom Brady, speaking on WEEI's Dennis and Callahan Show, said he's not worried about Welker missing the game and thinks he'll "definitely" be on the field.

"I've been around [Welker] long enough to know what he's all about," Brady said Wednesday. "He loves playing football, and if there's a chance for him to play, especially coming back here, he's definitely going to be out there. I've got no question about that."

The quarterback hasn't actually spoken to his old friend, however. He just believes that this is the sort of game that Welker wouldn't miss.

"No, no he didn't do that," Brady said. "But it would take an awful lot for him to miss the game."

The little ferret that could.

I'd still be surprised if he didn't miss at least a week. Tomorrow is pretty much yes/no depending on what the doctors say.

True it's really not up to him......

But, man I want him out there!!! It's a juicy storyline that's for sure. As long as he can play that is.....

Hi guys, Pats fan here.

Wow, didn't know it was supposed to be that cold. The cold weather in last years playoff game definitely looked like it effected Manning's hand/neck/arm/whatever.

True it's really not up to him......

But, man I want him out there!!! It's a juicy storyline that's for sure. As long as he can play that is.....

I hope he's cleared Friday but if he isn't.......I hope they dont listen to him arguing to play anyway

He's been a great player and I don't want to see him knocked out in a heated game

He didnt lead him the first time. It happend 15 yds after the catch and Welker was running alone.

I know, I wasn't saying he did. I'm just pointing out the obvious that two concussions wouldn't be in Welker's best interests, so his head better be on a swivel.

The slot is perhaps the most easy position to replace on offense. The Broncs would miss Welker but it would hardly decide the outcome of the game. Denver has lots of other weapons and could put Decker or Thomas in the slot.

If it is so easy to replace the slot guy, why have your lot not done so this year so far?

If it is so easy to replace the slot guy, why have your lot not done so this year so far?

They did with Endleman and Amendola. Plus the Pats have moved away from being so slot centric which is never healthy for an O to a more down the field attack with Dobson and Thompkins on the outside. Watch some of their games. You'll see.

What happened? Did he have a set back? They said he had practiced well on Thursday.

a.m,.

he was never cleared...

You know he has to pass the 'baseline' test.....the concussion symptoms have to be gone..

Its the new NFL protocol...

If he passes that test......he can play.... we assume that a guy who can practice can play..but that's not the rules anymore

a.m,.

he was never cleared...

You know he has to pass the 'baseline' test.....the concussion symptoms have to be gone..

Its the new NFL protocol...

If he passes that test......he can play.... we assume that a guy who can practice can play..but that's not the rules anymore

Right. I thought he had passed. Lousy media.

I thought a rule from before was that a player must sit one week if they are taken out of a game for a concussion. Is that not true anymore?

What happened? Did he have a set back? They said he had practiced well on Thursday.

no sit out rule for a week , goes by testying only

was limited on thursday though in full pads, its hoped will practice fully today, he says of course feels great, but as pointed out no matter how great one feels u still have to pass the baseline tests in the end

1 year Dallas Clark post concusion could npot believe he was held out as day of gaame he fgailed test,, now as this is an away game they have to decide if wil travel to NE with him , i am not sure of final day now with new CBA to take the test and pass

He didnt lead him the first time. It happend 15 yds after the catch and Welker was running alone.

Hopefully he won't be leading him into any head collisions. Back to back concussions is no bueno.

Click to enlarge ,

note player, somewhat obscured behind another, that comes in after first hit lowers Welkers head and Welker seems to get hit & or glanced by both Helmet to helmet , and then shoulder to helmet and then possibly arm/elbow to helmet

His head without a doubt gets snapped back and that's why neck issue as well

Its hard to see as said player  # 26 is obscured by # 56 and due to speed of action

Welker2.gif

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontline/sports/concussion-watch/concussion-watch-nfl-head-injuries-in-week-11/