Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Erik Walden suspended 1 game for headbutt on Delanie Walker

Coltswarriors

So you're willing to talk about the force that Walker swung with, but not the force that Walden headbutted with.

Walden was wrong, it was stupid, but it wasn't that hard of a headbutt.

Facemask vs face (instigator)

Bare fist vs helmet (responder)

Walden struck first with a weapon against a person who had no protection on his head. It wasn't all that forceful but it's still a facemask (a weapon) vs a face, it's unacceptable regardless of the force. Walker's response was clear self defense to me, yet, he still controlled himself enough that he barely hit Walden.

I'm confused at how this is even a conversation.

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Walden struck first with a weapon against a person who had no protection on his head. It wasn't all that forceful but it's still a facemask (a weapon) vs a face. Walker's response was clear self defense to me.

I'm not suggesting that Walker should be suspended or even penalized. Walden's actions were *ic, and he deserves the punishment.

All I'm saying is that I think the discourse surrounding Walden's actions is a bit sensational. Sure, it's dangerous to headbutt someone who isn't wearing a helmet while you are. But Walden hardly tapped Walker. I said in another thread, people are acting like he went Steven Seagal on him, and he didn't, not even close. Again, really stupid, and the punishment fits the crime. But I'm not nearly as outraged as others are about Walden's actions.

Actually, the refs got it all wrong on site, and the league has to do it's best to clean up the leftover mess.  Some of us in chat were calling for ejection for the headbutt.  And the both headbutt, and rebuttal punch are also personal foul penalties.

If Walden was ejected immediately, and a P.F. penalty assessed to each player, then suspension would have been avoided.  Of course, I am not certain if we had another (different) PF on that same play or not the refs screwed it up so bad.  

So instead of the ejection and penalty, we have to punish the thuggery action via suspension. No more, no less.  Rebuttal punch isn't in that class of thuggery.  It certainly should have drawn a flag though.

Oh well, we will get through it.

It was stupid and he knows it was stupid.  Walden, to my knowledge, has never done anything that would be considered dirty or cheap so I am sure the lesson will be learned.  And if he plays after his suspension like he played after the incident, he will finally play to the contract he was given, because after the incident he played better than he has ever played.

I'm not suggesting that Walker should be suspended or even penalized. Walden's actions were *ic, and he deserves the punishment.

All I'm saying is that I think the discourse surrounding Walden's actions is a bit sensational. Sure, it's dangerous to headbutt someone who isn't wearing a helmet while you are. But Walden hardly tapped Walker. I said in another thread, people are acting like he went Steven Seagal on him, and he didn't, not even close. Again, really stupid, and the punishment fits the crime. But I'm not nearly as outraged as others are about Walden's actions.

I understand where you're coming from but I don't believe I've ever said it was an over the top hit, just that it was exceedingly stupid and unacceptable.

@mchappell51: Can confirm #colts LB Erik Walden will be suspended 1 game by NFL for headbutt. Walden will appeal.

I wonder about this appeal process. Hopefully it can call be done Tuesday and it doesn't take away from his practice schedule, assuming the appeal has any chance of overturning the suspension.

I'd certainly hate for the suspension to be held up until the Tennessee game. I'd rather be without Walden against Arizona. He was a big part of containing CJ.

It's Arians. We know what he loved to call here, and it doesn't change. He is also having success there, and I heard preseason their O line was 2x worse than ours. So they are doing things well, and we need QB pressure production. Whether it be Werner or Johnson or man off the street.

They do have Bradley Sowell starting LT and he gets abused every week, and Palmer does take a lot of sacks/hits

From Jay Glazer on twitter.

Kind of shocked by this considering he's not a repeat offender.

Can't argue with it though, what he did was incredibly stupid.

Shocked that a THUG is punished?  Really, were Walden a Raider or a Raven we would see many sanctimonious posts about how the NFL must show these criminals that this type of behavior is NOT tolerated.

Walden struck first with a weapon against a person who had no protection on his head. It wasn't all that forceful but it's still a facemask (a weapon) vs a face, it's unacceptable regardless of the force. Walker's response was clear self defense to me, yet, he still controlled himself enough that he barely hit Walden.

I agree 100%.

I wonder about this appeal process. Hopefully it can call be done Tuesday and it doesn't take away from his practice schedule, assuming the appeal has any chance of overturning the suspension.

I'd certainly hate for the suspension to be held up until the Tennessee game. I'd rather be without Walden against Arizona. He was a big part of containing CJ.

So you like it when the Colts have thugs?  You like it as long as the Colts win? 

I understand where you're coming from but I don't believe I've ever said it was an over the top hit, just that it was exceedingly stupid and unacceptable.

This is what I'm talking about:

So you like it when the Colts have thugs?  You like it as long as the Colts win?

They do have Bradley Sowell starting LT and he gets abused every week, and Palmer does take a lot of sacks/hits

That my point, same ole Arians.  You can get sack/hits causing fumbles INT's. So we have to dial it up. If you don't they get big chunks moving the ball.  But I don't think they're O line is 2x worse than ours.  Maybe not better either.  We'll soon see straight up.

So you like it when the Colts have thugs? You like it as long as the Colts win?

I'm sure you've never done something in anger that you regretted.

What kind of flawed human allows themselves to be a slave to their own emotions for even an instant?

Shocked that a THUG is punished?  Really, were Walden a Raider or a Raven we would see many sanctimonious posts about how the NFL must show these criminals that this type of behavior is NOT tolerated.

Thug? Are you serious?

One dumb act doesn't make someone a 'thug'. Have you ever done something stupid, that you later regretted?

No need to be butthurt about this or rationalize it. Walden did a stupid thing, and he got punished accordingly for it. Ya break the law, you deserved to be punished. 

The suspension is entirely subjective. There's no rule about when the NFL is going to suspend someone.

I'm not complaining about the suspension, by the way.

If it's up to them, than leave it up to them. It's not like that hit was justifiable, just a dirty play. 

You're such an idealist... We HAVE to second guess and complain about everything the NFL does. Don't you know that by now?

I agree about the hit. No reason for it, and I think he deserves the suspension. I'm just not outraged over the hit.

You're such an idealist... We HAVE to second guess and complain about everything the NFL does. Don't you know that by now?

I agree about the hit. No reason for it, and I think he deserves the suspension. I'm just not outraged over the hit.

I'm not outraged either. I know you were being sarcastic, but it really is upsetting how many people think the Nfl is out to get everyone. "It's just a football play, emotions are high" haha

Walker was coming at walden snack talking the he time. Walden gave him more of a get outta my face boy tap. To even humor that that was a head butt is hilarious.

Love all the holier than thou posts. Glad so many colts fans are such saints and all high and mighty.

No need to be butthurt about this or rationalize it. Walden did a stupid thing, and he got punished accordingly for it. Ya break the law, you deserved to be punished. 

I am not upset or surprised by the suspension.  I do think that the NFL is rather arbitrary in the way it passes out these punishments.  It was brought up earlier that VIckerson was only fined for punching the knee of Satele, which is much worse than what Walden did, IMO.

I am not upset or surprised by the suspension.  I do think that the NFL is rather arbitrary in the way it passes out these punishments.  It was brought up earlier that VIckerson was only fined for punching the knee of Satele, which is much worse than what Walden did, IMO.

I would differ.

Head butting a guy with no helmet is much worse than punching someone's knee..when you consider knee vs. head

Plus Walden ripped his helmet off to begin with..

He was lucky to only be suspended and not ejected from that game as well..

Come on..folks...a head butt to a guy with no helmet??

So it's worse that he barely touches Walker with his helmet vs Vickerson intentionally injuring Satele and knocking him out of the game? Appeal it.

You cant compare disconnected situations.

The league doesn't...

Come on..a head butt to a guy without a helmet....pitiful behavior

Dumbest move by a Colt since McAfee jumped in the fountain

I'm sure you've never done something in anger that you regretted.

What kind of flawed human allows themselves to be a slave to their own emotions for even an instant?

We probably all have, because, to answer the second part -  immature, unevolved youngsters- and usually deserving the punishment for the crime even though it was spur of the moment.  And he is not a thug, but the behavior was.  If he becomes a habitual repeat offender, then he will be labelled a thug. I doubt this guy is that type.  He will fly right from here on.

I'm only outraged because the D seemed to be losing composure, and the drive was a penalty driven march down the field.  It's the type of play/action that in a critical spot will lose you a game. So the less it surfaces, the better.