Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

DHB on the Bench!

OJl

DHB is what we thought he was: a great physical talent with marginal receiving skills.  Unfortunately, Brazill or Whalen have failed to step up and make any kind of consistent impact.  It's great that Fleener has got into it, and Hilton will remain the primary focus of the D.  All we need is one other guy who can step up and make plays when the D successfully takes Fleener and Hilton out of the game.  I kind of like DHB or Rogers on that little quick pass in the flat against Jerraud Powers next week.  They can probably consistently get 5 - 15 yards a pop on that play...

Unfortunately his talent doesn't show. I'm glad Fleener and TY has stepped up though.

I don't expect either Whalen, Reed, DHB, or Rogers to really do much of an impact. A lot of the passing game has to do with Luck trusting his receivers. Neither have shown he can trust them to be their go to guy, though Whalen has shown glimpses here and there. I don't know about practice with Rogers - hope he eventually can show Luck to trust him on the field.

...And show the rest of us as well.

Didn't he just drop one pass? Then caught one, with his hands even. So why would he be benched? Brazil didn't do any better

I'm not usually the one to jump on a guy for making mistakes. But DHB is good for a drop every game, on very catchable balls. His hands are very unreliable, and he lets the ball get into his body. He's a terrible catcher. This is something that he's dealt with his entire career, and while he's done better at times, it's obviously never going to go away. And it's incredibly frustrating when he's able to get open and the QB (who might even be struggling at the moment, like Luck was against the Rams) puts the ball right on you, but you can't bring it in, and now it's 4th down.

So I don't think we necessarily should bench him, but I don't think he deserves to be one of the top two guys on the depth chart. He ought to be rotated in and out with the other guys -- Whalen, Brazill, and whoever else -- so that we can develop our corps over the rest of the season. DHB probably won't be here next season, while the others are still under contract. 

I'm not usually the one to jump on a guy for making mistakes. But DHB is good for a drop every game, on very catchable balls. His hands are very unreliable, and he lets the ball get into his body. He's a terrible catcher. This is something that he's dealt with his entire career, and while he's done better at times, it's obviously never going to go away. And it's incredibly frustrating when he's able to get open and the QB (who might even be struggling at the moment, like Luck was against the Rams) puts the ball right on you, but you can't bring it in, and now it's 4th down.

So I don't think we necessarily should bench him, but I don't think he deserves to be one of the top two guys on the depth chart. He ought to be rotated in and out with the other guys -- Whalen, Brazill, and whoever else -- so that we can develop our corps over the rest of the season. DHB probably won't be here next season, while the others are still under contract.

Yeah I agree. TY has gotten a lot better. He was usually good for a drop or two but he's been making some clutch catches. Brazil and Whalen still have the dropsies but are at least improving. Unless he makes a 180 and starts catching everything and running better routes I don't see DHB sticking either. Sucks cause he has a lot if talent. And by that I mean speed ;)

I don't fully understand the "When DHB is out we play better" logic. It's not like he eats up a lot of targets. Or is the number 1 option in most passing plays. If his replacement was taking his snaps and blowing the lid off the joint I could see that. But there is no replacement making the team better in those spots.

Correlation does not equate causation.

I don't fully understand the "When DHB is out we play better" logic. It's not like he eats up a lot of targets. Or is the number 1 option in most passing plays. If his replacement was taking his snaps and blowing the lid off the joint I could see that. But there is no replacement making the team better in those spots.

Correlation does not equate causation.

I'm out of likes...

The only thing DHB has, he isn't bringing. Speed, ridiculous speed. But I cannot think of one time he's gotten behind the defense and stretched the field. We didn't bring him here just to run end-arounds and screens. 

Looking at his production, we could literally hire ANY WR and get at least the same, if not better. 

I was so excited when we signed him. I thought this staff and Luck could make this gifted athlete shine. He's just terribad. 

Nope. TRich comes out first, pounds their D and tires them out. Then DB comes in and blows past them.

The only thing Richardson is pounding is the backside of our O-lineman when he runs right into them instead of finding a hole to run through. I realize that whole sentence just sounds wrong, but never the less, it's the truth. 

The only thing DHB has, he isn't bringing. Speed, ridiculous speed. But I cannot think of one time he's gotten behind the defense and stretched the field. We didn't bring him here just to run end-arounds and screens. 

Looking at his production, we could literally hire ANY WR and get at least the same, if not better. 

I was so excited when we signed him. I thought this staff and Luck could make this gifted athlete shine. He's just terribad. 

Well, just as a comparison for the bolded part, to show how true of a statement this is:

A guy off of our practice squad (Griff Whalen) has come in the last 3 games and has 7 receptions for 74 yards, compared to DHBs 4 receptions for 41 yards over the same span. I know they play different receiver positions, but it appears that he is just not dependable.

I think most receivers can give us 1.33 receptions per game. I am hopeful that Da'Rick Rodgers can give us more.

DHB does block well...I give him that...and he isn't scared to do it. I like that about him...and for a running team that is important that your receivers block down field. That said he has a limited skill set and route tree...it was funny because during the pre-game in the car I was listening to Titans radio and they were giving every route he runs in every section of the field...than last night...he did just that. Thats sad/scary that we are that predictable with the routes.....but NONE of them was ready for that tight end drag route off play action...so give Pep credit for that!!

Best player start...not sure if anyone on our bench is ready to replace DHB...and that just tells you the quality of the bench. Before anyone says otherwise....I would like to know how many team meetings you've attended and practices....because I'll trust the coaches until then.

As for Trent and DB....DB is clearly clearly reading the holes better and faster to get through them...but the running game is still doing decent...so I wouldn't change much....Trent is a MUCH better pass blocker and has done good with those screen/swing passes....in space he is pretty good...he just isn't reading/reacting fast enough...but we don't open up tractor trailer type holes like he saw at Alabama so he just has to learn.

I hope Rogers is in but I don't think he will see much field at all this season.

You might be right. After all, look at some of the other decisions the staff has made. But if you ask me, Da'Rick should be given every opportunity. I heard the guy was a beast in college, when he wasn't getting in trouble. But that was then, and this is now, and maybe he's had time to mature. I hope they give him a chance.

The sad thing is, to me, is that you can see some raw talent there but he has no desire. You can forgive a few drops here and there, it's going to happen but some of his, at the times he drops, is/are almost unforgivable.

Its not desire its in his head, they say he practices a lot its like someone says something about you & you say that's not true so it gets in your head an you CONTINUE to make that mistake until you become mentally tough enough to stop it. The Only way to do that is to have some success on the field that will build confidence! He has the look on his face of I don't won't to # up instead of GIVE ME THE BALL!

The only thing Richardson is pounding is the backside of our O-lineman when he runs right into them instead of finding a hole to run through. I realize that whole sentence just sounds wrong, but never the less, it's the truth. 

Or he cuts away from the hole trying to be fancy into to the back of another blocker, instead of putting his head down an grinding out 4  to 5 yards.

Against Houston, I actually felt sorry for DHB.  Cris Collinsworth actually said (not verbatim) "I wish I could just will him to catch some of these passes because he's just so talented."

Collinsworth.  Showing pity.  Think about how sarcastic and smarmy Collinsworth it amazed me.