Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Start LaVon Brazill

BlueCollarColts

I have seen a lot of Hilton and Heyward-Bey as the starters talk, but I disagree and think Brazill should be the starter. Now I still do think Hilton should be the #1 option, but Brazill is bigger at 5'11 and 195 lbs vs the 5'9 178 pound Hilton. Hilton is built for the slot, that is his perfect position, we need to play Brazill on the outside, not Hilton

I have seen a lot of Hilton and Heyward-Bey as the starters talk, but I disagree and think Brazill should be the starter. Now I still do think Hilton should be the #1 option, but Brazill is bigger at 5'11 and 195 lbs vs the 5'9 178 pound Hilton. Hilton is built for the slot, that is his perfect position, we need to play Brazill on the outside, not Hilton

Marvin was a pretty good #1 at nearly the same size. Ty is a game changer.

T.Y. is a great player, however, he is built for the slot, that is where he is most successful. Brazill has a lot of upside, and is built better to play outside than what Hilton is, i'm not saying Brazill is the better player, or that he should earn the starting spot, just that it would make both T.Y. and Brazill more effective 

T.Y. is a great player, however, he is built for the slot, that is where he is most successful. Brazill has a lot of upside, and is built better to play outside than what Hilton is, i'm not saying Brazill is the better player, or that he should earn the starting spot, just that it would make both T.Y. and Brazill more effective

stop saying he is built for the slot

Do you even have a clue how much Wayne plays in the slot?

stop saying he is built for the slot

Do you even have a clue how much Wayne plays in the slot?

why would I stop saying it? Is it not true? Hilton is your prototypical slot receiver, short, small, and extremely fast. Now I am not saying Brazill is a big huge target for Luck to throw too, since he is pretty small at 5'11 and 195, but one of the tasks that comes with starting on the outside is that you are expected to be able to block, and I trust Brazill in that category more than Hilton

I don't think the Colts should make him the starter right away. He should start out as the #3 and the should ease him in into more snaps. They can't just throw a guy, who really only made one great catch last year into the lineup. For some reason people think that he's an outstanding player, when in fact, he hasn't proven anything yet.

Because of his inexperience and anonymity, the Colts should ease him in. 

We all hate to lose Wayne for the season without a doubt. But with everyone wanting to sign a FA none of them are going to be better than Brazill.

Everyone is going to have to step up. We will see Fleener being used more like Davis at SF (out wide).

I can see Doyle being the key in all of this at TE.

If we do pick up a WR on the bye week it will be just for insurance. Most likely someone who will not see game time action.

Whether Brazil starts or not, either way we need him to step up and make plays. The same goes for Whalen and the rest of our WR's and TE's. Everybody has got to take it to the next level, in the long run this will make us a better team, because they will all get more looks and more experience, but We have to good of a team to wait on next season, so we need all the receivers to step up now and fill the void.

why would I stop saying it? Is it not true? Hilton is your prototypical slot receiver, short, small, and extremely fast. Now I am not saying Brazill is a big huge target for Luck to throw too, since he is pretty small at 5'11 and 195, but one of the tasks that comes with starting on the outside is that you are expected to be able to block, and I trust Brazill in that category more than Hilton

slot receivers come in all shapes and sizes

slot receivers come in all shapes and sizes

Look, i'm not saying by any means hat Brazill is better than Hilton so he should start. I am just saying the way Hilton plays, he is much more effective in the slot, where he can utilize his speed without bigger corners knocking him off his route, where as somebody like LaVon Brazill, might be able to deal with that a little easier, due to his superior size compared to Hilton. The way it looks now, one of either Brazill and Hilton will play the slot, and I think it makes a lot more sense to keep Hilton in the slot

Why in the world would the Colts not use what they have already. They do get a salary.

Because without Wayne to draw defensive coverage, the Colts recieving corp is a bunch of unproven/inconsistent speedsters that struggle to get speration. Add in the fact that Allen is gone too and you dont even have a reliable safety valve to dump off to reliably.

They need an established threat to give the current roster the room to breathe so they can be effective.

whether he starts or not ...its his time..

He wont get a better shot than this Pep doesn't like 3 WR sets with a TE but when he does,,,, its the

'letter men' TY, DHB..and Brazill......we'ee not going to pick up T.O. or Randy Moss

Brazill needs to get ready because its his time...

Yeah I agree ....I definitely think just someone that can step in with and be a strong role player....like when Marvin was 1 and Wayne was 2 wide out.....Wayne was the true number one .... and im sure a lot of us can agree it was the same with Wayne and Garcon.....but overall I think we are gonna be way fine...our team is firing as a team and thats what makes us happy at the end of the day.

Hilton seems to be Lucks deep threat as well.... Just like Harrison and Wayne.... Wayne and Garcon....Wayne and Hilton...number 2 is atually our number one....and I think he should move to number one and Bey at 2

Hilton seems to be Lucks deep threat as well.... Just like Harrison and Wayne.... Wayne and Garcon....Wayne and Hilton...number 2 is atually our number one....and I think he should move to number one and Bey at 2

The problem is size matters in this new Colts offensive scheme. The every down wideouts need to be big and strong enough to block in the run game. At his size, TY would get shoved around in the big packages.

Hes just far better fit as a slot guy in this system. Thats not a knock on his talent, his talent would just be misplaced anywhere else.

The problem is size matters in this new Colts offensive scheme. The every down wideouts need to be big and strong enough to block in the run game. At his size, TY would get shoved around in the big packages.

Hes just far better fit as a slot guy in this system. Thats not a knock on his talent, his talent would just be misplaced anywhere else.

I strongly agree with that SkyBane!!!!!!

I see some potential with Brazill but I think pulling out Da'rick Rogers from our practice squad and making him the starter would be better. He is a mixed of Anquan Boldin, Michael Crabtree, and Julio Jones all in one. This kid is a beast. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ujDgel3evAI

I think the fact Reggie went on IR today and the Colts didn't just fill his roster spot means Grigson is looking for someone. Rather that be a free agent or trade who knows and just because he's looking doesn't mean he will land it either. Still I think Brazil is going to get a chance to privet himself with Reggie down.

I see some potential with Brazill but I think pulling out Da'rick Rogers from our practice squad and making him the starter would be better. He is a mixed of Anquan Boldin, Michael Crabtree, and Julio Jones all in one. This kid is a beast. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ujDgel3evAI

if he was all those guys rolled into one he would be on someone's active roster. Maybe he has a chance to become what you described and he might get that chance with the colts but I highly doubt he's that right now. With that said I am not going to be shocked if he gets the call to join the active roster with Reggie down either.

When the Colts go 3 wide Wayne was in the slot far more often than TY.

if he was all those guys rolled into one he would be on someone's active roster. Maybe he has a chance to become what you described and he might get that chance with the colts but I highly doubt he's that right now. With that said I am not going to be shocked if he gets the call to join the active roster with Reggie down either.

Rodgers is a beast. He catches balls in traffic and can run over defenders. He's also a good blocker.

I see some potential with Brazill but I think pulling out Da'rick Rogers from our practice squad and making him the starter would be better. He is a mixed of Anquan Boldin, Michael Crabtree, and Julio Jones all in one. This kid is a beast. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ujDgel3evAI

I think you are overstating things just a tad. And by tad, I mean a lot.

TY is faster than basically everyone on the field. Yes he is small and supposedly built for the slot, but why wouldn't you leave him on the outside where he can utilize his speed? Luck and Hilton have good timing on deep routes, and DHB's hands aren't the lightest for deep passes. 

I think Brazil is going to need alot of reps to get back up to speed. Maybe this bye week will help Pep figure out where to use him the best. 

Whalen should be in the slot. He seems like another Austin Collie clone. 

Doyle seems like he could turn into something good. We need to get him involved. 

If Rodgers was such a beast, he wouldn't have been let go by the Bills. We also cut him and resigned him. 

I really think it should be a priority of our coaching staff to continue to develop this kid. If he isn't NFL material, then cut him and quit wasting a roster spot. 

Scouting Report for Da'Rick Rodgers......

Strengths:

• Explosive
  • Toughness; unafraid of hard hits
  • Routinely comes down with difficult catches
  • Great combination of size and speed
  • Excellent run after the catch ability
  • Plays with an attitude
  • Good route-runner
  • Scheme versatility
  • Extremely athletic
  • Very good body control
  • Makes highlight-reel catches
  • Quickness to get separation
  • Physical with cornerbacks
  • Scheme versatility

Weaknesses:

• Character concerns
  • Drug issues
  • Decision-making
  • Maturity
  • A little raw, needs development

I actually agree that Brazill's gonna have to be the initial one to pick up the slack.  However, I expect to see the Offense having multiple looks going forward.  We'll see Hilton in the slot and the outside.  We may even see Whalen filling a Welkerian role before too long.  Maybe Rogers trying to be Dwayne Bowe...

TY is faster than basically everyone on the field. Yes he is small and supposedly built for the slot, but why wouldn't you leave him on the outside where he can utilize his speed? Luck and Hilton have good timing on deep routes, and DHB's hands aren't the lightest for deep passes. 

I think Brazil is going to need alot of reps to get back up to speed. Maybe this bye week will help Pep figure out where to use him the best. 

Whalen should be in the slot. He seems like another Austin Collie clone. 

Doyle seems like he could turn into something good. We need to get him involved. 

If Rodgers was such a beast, he wouldn't have been let go by the Bills. We also cut him and resigned him. 

I really think it should be a priority of our coaching staff to continue to develop this kid. If he isn't NFL material, then cut him and quit wasting a roster spot. 

Scouting Report for Da'Rick Rodgers......

Strengths:

• Explosive
  • Toughness; unafraid of hard hits
  • Routinely comes down with difficult catches
  • Great combination of size and speed
  • Excellent run after the catch ability
  • Plays with an attitude
  • Good route-runner
  • Scheme versatility
  • Extremely athletic
  • Very good body control
  • Makes highlight-reel catches
  • Quickness to get separation
  • Physical with cornerbacks
  • Scheme versatility

Weaknesses:

• Character concerns
  • Drug issues
  • Decision-making
  • Maturity
  • A little raw, needs development

Even though I like your thoughts and scouting report on rogers, those reports means nothing. Just look at Tom Brady for example. Its true he does have character concerns but you can't measure a mans heart. I hope he gets a shot at the spot.

Marvin was the best route runner in NFL history.  TY is a game changer, but not a great route runner.  TY thrives when he has mismatches, open space, and the ability to run a route with some room off the line.  Basically TY thrives in the slot, I don't think TY would be very good if he was getting blanketed or double-teamed all game -- Marvin used to beat double and triple teams with his great route running and precise timing with Peyton -- TY is simply not there yet.  I like the guy a whole lot, and no doubt he is a game changer -- but he is a game changer when we can create mismatches for him to exploit, he is not (at least not yet) at the point in his career where he is a legitimate #1 threat who we can rely on to beat double/triple teams and tight press coverage by opposing team's top CB -- Marvin (IMO) is a first-ballot HOFer, I don't think we can even start comparing the two at this point.