Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Is Manning borrowing a page of the Pats playbook?

tonychen

I do not know if anybody has noticed, but I have seen lots of elements in Manning's passing game that are very similar to what Patriots did in the past couple of seasons.

Of course they are playing up-tempo, which both Manning and Brady borrowed a little bit from Chip Kelley's scheme but improved on it. For all these short passes and screen passes which are turned into long gains with proper blocking, and how Welker were used at the goal line, I see a lot of similarity with Patriots approach. And Manning's signature crossing routes and "dig" routes are seen much less than they did last yr.

You guys thoughts?

He is still running the Indy offense. Not really comparable to the Pats except for the hurry up. He is throwing shorter but his guys lead the league in YAC. Pretty lethal combo.

according to stats in 2012 Pats is 5th in YAC percentage at 49%. Denver is 39.5% and 21st.

New England Patriots

12-4

49.0%

Denver Broncos

13-3

39.5%

according to stats in 2012 Pats is 5th in YAC percentage at 49%. Denver is 39.5% and 21st.

New England Patriots

12-4

49.0%

Denver Broncos

13-3

39.5%

I was talking about this year. I heard some ridiculous stat that his receivers are averaging 180 YAC. I need to look it up but I think it was on Numbers Never Lie.

He is still running the Indy offense. Not really comparable to the Pats except for the hurry up. He is throwing shorter but his guys lead the league in YAC. Pretty lethal combo.

For total yards, 2012 Pats YAC is 2,352, which is the 1st, and Denver is 1,998 at 9th. 

This year Denver's 581 yds is the 4th. Pats 377 yds is at 15th.

For total yards, 2012 Pats YAC is 2,352, which is the 1st, and Denver is 1,998 at 9th. 

This year Denver's 581 yds is the 4th. Pats 377 yds is at 15th.

Thanks for looking that up. Appreciate it. Who are the top 3?

BTW - I do think the way they are using Welker is similar but then again what else are you going to do with him. lol. He is a slot guy but they are getting him more open in the red zone. He never had this many TDs with the Pats. He averaged 5-6 a season.

The point I started the thread is people are asking if anybody can stop Denver's passing game. This kind of offense are pretty scary when it all work, but some adversities could slow it down by Injuries to key receivers, like when Pats lost Gronk and Hernandez last season they were slowed down. The substituted players may be OK in receiving but it will take time for them to learn the proper blocking scheme and the signals.

BTW - I do think the way they are using Welker is similar but then again what else are you going to do with him. lol. He is a slot guy but they are getting him more open in the red zone. He never had this many TDs with the Pats. He averaged 5-6 a season.

3rd is Atlanta, 2nd is Rams, and you can always figure out who the 1st is -

Yes, Lions with Reggie Bush.

I do not know if anybody has noticed, but I have seen lots of elements in Manning's passing game that are very similar to what Patriots did in the past couple of seasons.

Of course they are playing up-tempo, which both Manning and Brady borrowed a little bit from Chip Kelley's scheme but improved on it. For all these short passes and screen passes which are turned into long gains with proper blocking, and how Welker were used at the goal line, I see a lot of similarity with Patriots approach. And Manning's signature crossing routes and "dig" routes are seen much less than they did last yr.

You guys thoughts?

yes I agree with you . . . with Josh McD. having been there in the past and with the presence of Welker on the team there are connections to the Pats offense . . . if some of the elements work in a given situation, then Manning would be smart to implement the same into his offense, . . . so yes I do see some of our offense seeping into the Denver attack . . .

yes I agree with you . . . with Josh McD. having been there in the past and with the presence of Welker on the team there are connections to the Pats offense . . . if some of the elements work in a given situation, then Manning would be smart to implement the same into his offense, . . . so yes I do see some of our offense seeping into the Denver attack . . .

Manning must really be amazed by the offense Pats ran when he visited and lost. He emphasized up-tempo much more since than, and I noticed he has so far shortened his audible and simplified his signals to run more plays. In the old Colts no-huddle they actually take as much time off the clock as they can to test the defense's intention and adjust things like how deep the receivers go.

It will be interesting to see if he just gets to 51 TD's and then just takes the foot off the petal. No offense to your guy , but he no doubt took dead aim on Manning's 49 that year. Manning on the other hand had reservations about passing Marino. I think if he had Brady's 2007 "mentality" , he could have thrown for over 60. 

Manning must really be amazed by the offense Pats ran when he visited and lost. He emphasized up-tempo much more since than, and I noticed he has so far shortened his audible and simplified his signals to run more plays. In the old Colts no-huddle they actually take as much time off the clock as they can to test the defense's intention and adjust things like how deep the receivers go.

yah . . . manning is a smart person and as a smart person one is not afraid to take ideas from others and not think that one has all the ideas . . . indeed, some of the pats present hurry up and super hurry up was incorporated after BB met with Chip Kelly . . . even tho BB has been in the league since the 70s he is not afraid to keep improving regardless of the source of the increase . . .

Peyton will take something from 1980 Chargers or any team he thinks will work or help the offense. I'm sure there are wrinkles he's borrowed especially in utilizing Wes...it is what it is...its a copy cat league...but what teams can't copy is Mannings brain lol...diagnosing at the line of scrimmage and changing plays to get the best match ups. Tom is very very close but he just doesn't have the horses but I bet later in the year that offense takes off....the rest of the NFL outside of probably NO is playing a totally different game.

Peyton will take something from 1980 Chargers or any team he thinks will work or help the offense. I'm sure there are wrinkles he's borrowed especially in utilizing Wes...it is what it is...its a copy cat league...but what teams can't copy is Mannings brain lol...diagnosing at the line of scrimmage and changing plays to get the best match ups. Tom is very very close but he just doesn't have the horses but I bet later in the year that offense takes off....the rest of the NFL outside of probably NO is playing a totally different game.

Yup, there's nothing new under the sun. Manning will copy something he saw 20 years ago in a preseason game if he thinks it will work. Read a story this offseason about how he had some film of a play from a random Tennessee game sent over so the Broncos could work it in. 

So is he borrowing stuff from the Pats? I'm sure he is, along with every other offense he's ever seen and liked.

You guys thoughts?

My thoughts exactly I watch them and I think I'm watching the Patriots when they had Welker looks like same plays pick you to death with short passes and let the squirrel and squirrels run free.  The Squirrel is what I always did call Welker throw him a pass and he run around with the football like a squirrel with a nut!!! Have you ever noticed that?

It will be interesting to see if he just gets to 51 TD's and then just takes the foot off the petal. No offense to your guy , but he no doubt took dead aim on Manning's 49 that year. Manning on the other hand had reservations about passing Marino. I think if he had Brady's 2007 "mentality" , he could have thrown for over 60. 

What on earth are you talking about? The last several games of the season were all fourth quarter comebacks by Brady to beat the eagles, ravens and giants. He was not stoking numbers at all the last month of the season. He was on pace if you recall to throw over 60. This idea that he was taking aim at Manning is ridiculous. He broke the record in the last game vs the giants on the road where he was down by double digits in the fourth to comeback and win and perserve a perfect season. If anything was on Brady's mind THAT season it was going undefeated not the TD record.

And to act like Manning, a guy who knows football history as well as Belichick, did not have the TD record on his mind is pure homerism. He made sure he did get it though just by one TD just like Brady.

Yards after catch just means the QB is putting the ball in the right spot so that the player can catch it in stride.  

Players who have to adjust their route to catch the pass don't usually get a lot of Yards after the catch.  Players who run a route and have the ball dropped right where they where going to be anyways do a lot better with yards after the catch.  

This is one of several reasons why a great QB can make an average receiver look like a good one and a good receiver look great.

What on earth are you talking about? The last several games of the season were all fourth quarter comebacks by Brady to beat the eagles, ravens and giants. He was not stoking numbers at all the last month of the season. He was on pace if you recall to throw over 60. This idea that he was taking aim at Manning is ridiculous. He broke the record in the last game vs the giants on the road where he was down by double digits in the fourth to comeback and win and perserve a perfect season. If anything was on Brady's mind THAT season it was going undefeated not the TD record.

And to act like Manning, a guy who knows football history as well as Belichick, did not have the TD record on his mind is pure homerism. He made sure he did get it though just by one TD just like Brady.

Just trying to see if you really were a female. That was no doubt a female response , but that's OK , you really have good football smarts for a girl.

BTW.. the last several games were not 4th quarter comebacks. At quick glance it appears that they trailed in a couple games that year by 3 going into the 4th quarter. Also I'm never a homer ... I might often be wrong but I never do that. 

Its pretty obvious that Manning is taking dead aim on the record this year too.. He throws it on 1st and goal from the 1 constantly.  They never bother trying to run the ball into the end zone, he has quite a few 5 yard or less touchdown passes already this year.

I don't know how anyone can make the argument that Manning was having mental reservations about beating Marino's record and then make the assertion that he took his foot off the pedal so to speak because of that.  

These guys are competitors and I think Manning and that team know what they have for talent on the field and they're certainly pushing hard to get passing touchdowns every chance they get, even if its a 5 yard dump off or a 1 yard goal line pass.

Just trying to see if you really were a female. That was no doubt a female response , but that's OK , you really have good football smarts for a girl.

BTW.. the last several games were not 4th quarter comebacks. At quick glance it appears that they trailed in a couple games that year by 3 going into the 4th quarter. Also I'm never a homer ... I might often be wrong but I never do that. 

lol. Not sure what makes a response male vs female. I would think lots of emoticons and such which my post was devoid of which would lean it toward the male side. At least I hope so.

The pats had four 4th quarter comebacks in 2007. The first one was against your Colts which I am sure you can well remember. The next one was Philly where they trailed by four going into the fourth and scored one TD to win. The next was the Ravens where they trailed by four until the last minute of the game when Brady hit Gaffney for the game winner. And then of course the Giants game in NY where Brady engineered a another fourth quarter comeback after being down by 12 late in the third.

The fact is this, the powerful Pats O was coming back down to earth late in the season and into the playoffs. It is hard to sustain that level of play for 16 games. Manning's numbers will come down at some point this season as attrition will set in as well as better competition.

I really don't understand your post. If b

Guest TeamLoloJones

Sexist much?

Sexist much?

Her and I are pretty friendly and I'm just having fun with her. Lot's of females with good football knowledge on this board. BTW... I understand your post and take no offense as I can't expect you to know I was just playing around with her.

Its pretty obvious that Manning is taking dead aim on the record this year too.. He throws it on 1st and goal from the 1 constantly.  They never bother trying to run the ball into the end zone, he has quite a few 5 yard or less touchdown passes already this year.

I don't know how anyone can make the argument that Manning was having mental reservations about beating Marino's record and then make the assertion that he took his foot off the pedal so to speak because of that.  

These guys are competitors and I think Manning and that team know what they have for talent on the field and they're certainly pushing hard to get passing touchdowns every chance they get, even if its a 5 yard dump off or a 1 yard goal line pass.

The word was that Manning wanted to tie Marino's record and share it with him. But I certainly have no real knowledge as to what his mindset really was. 

I do agree with you that he (Manning) is taking dead aim on that record and I also agree about those 1 yarders. Seems like Brady threw a few of those in 2007 also.

You guys thoughts?

actually before season said woiuld use some things that welker did that can be incorporated , but many that are different & / or different slants on how welker ran the routes,

In fact this was updated today  on how welker is used by  ESPN

here are some thoughts on the team's offense:

• When the Broncos signed Wes Welker in free agency, they envisioned adding one of the more difficult match-up players in the league for opposing defenses to an already imposing offense. And the Broncos have certainly gotten that kind of production already,
  •  
  • but they have steadily expanded Welker’s role beyond simply a slot receiver
  •  
  • and he continues to show he can create match-up problems all over the field.
  •  
  • On the Broncos' first-play from scrimmage, the Broncos lined Welker up as the outside receiver to the left, then motioned him down toward the slot just before the snap. He then ran a long-developing route, all the way across the formation to catch the ball to the right of a well-protected and patient Manning, good for 33 yards.
  •  
  • Later in the game, on his 4-yard touchdown reception in the third quarter, the Broncos started Welker in the backfield.
  •  
  • He’s a versatile athlete and the Broncos will benefit from a continued expansion of what they do with him.

http://espn.go.com/blog/denver-broncos/post/_/id/1160/broncos-rewind-offense-3&ex_cid=MyESPNToday_Team

2007 Pats vs 2013 Broncos would be the right comparison to start with. Both these offenses need that outside threat in Randy Moss or Demaryius Thomas for the inside bubble screens and digs to work effectively. Without the outside threat, you can't draw coverage away from the slot and the middle.

The Pats, post 2009 went to the 2 TE looks but then, the TEs were used as vertical threats more than real outside threats. So, once the outside wideouts lost their effectiveness, the jams came on the inside with more focus on the inside. Plus, it is harder to tip balls thrown to the outside wideouts than to the slot WRs & TEs, and if you noticed, Brady's throws were tipped more in the playoffs once they faced good Ds in the playoffs with the 2 TE approach (JPP, Tuck, Ravens' DL, I have seen it enough times). Just an observation.

Each game has its own character. When you have a stout DL front that is stacking the box vs a 1st and goal from the 1 or 2, and you have man coverage all over, most QBs that are confident with their wideout abilities would take the man coverage. But then, if you have a DL front like the Giants built more on speed than size and similarly the Eagles, you will have more rushing TDs from the RBs. It is no co-incidence Moreno scored TDs vs Giants and Eagles. Against the Raiders, late in the game, once Peyton was gashing them, they stopped playing single safety high and played 2 safeties back daring him to run, so Peyton gave the goal line carry to Hillman.

I also realized Peyton can be an equal opportunity guy. In the Raiders game, when Decker got the first TD, Welker got the next TD, and Julius Thomas the 3rd TD, I saw the safety break towards Demaryius Thomas late at the snap and break up a pass thwarting a potential TD for Demaryius Thomas thus forcing the Broncos to settle for a FG. I saw it in the playoff game too -  Brandon Stokely, Knowshon Moreno, then DT. Peyton likes to spread the wealth around but then, in a regular season game where he has already spread wealth towards A and B, you can pretty much narrow it down to C or D options for a TD pass for safety help. That can work against him too even though his intentions are good. :)

More than 75% of the time, the coverage and DL front at the goal line dictates what a QB does.

The word was that Manning wanted to tie Marino's record and share it with him. But I certainly have no real knowledge as to what his mindset really was. 

I do agree with you that he (Manning) is taking dead aim on that record and I also agree about those 1 yarders. Seems like Brady threw a few of those in 2007 also.

Here is a reason he often throws instaed of runs, its # of negaative runs, so he needs too be sure

• The Broncos have had some high-end moments in the run game, especially when they go to a zone look to the right, behind Louis Vasquez and Orlando Franklin,
  •  
  • but they’ve had their share of troubles moving the line of scrimmage as well. They’ve had six runs for negative yardage so far this season and 39 carries have gone for two or fewer yards -- or 32.5 percent of their carries.
  •  
  • They have had at least seven runs of two or fewer yards in each of their games with a season-high 12 carries of two or fewer yards against the Giants.

http://espn.go.com/blog/denver-broncos/post/_/id/1160/broncos-rewind-offense-3&ex_cid=MyESPNToday_Team

Chad read my comment # 33 on problem, with many runs, even when not near the goal line

article is referenced as is  comment in one before that , same articlew on how using Welkker differently,

Both ESPN

2007 Pats vs 2013 Broncos would be the right comparison to start with. Both these offenses need that outside threat in Randy Moss or Demaryius Thomas for the inside bubble screens and digs to work effectively. Without the outside threat, you can't draw coverage away from the slot and the middle.

The Pats, post 2009 went to the 2 TE looks but then, the TEs were used as vertical threats more than real outside threats. So, once the outside wideouts lost their effectiveness, the jams came on the inside with more focus on the inside. Plus, it is harder to tip balls thrown to the outside wideouts than to the slot WRs & TEs, and if you noticed, Brady's throws were tipped more in the playoffs once they faced good Ds in the playoffs with the 2 TE approach (JPP, Tuck, Ravens' DL, I have seen it enough times). Just an observation.

Each game has its own character. When you have a stout DL front that is stacking the box vs a 1st and goal from the 1 or 2, and you have man coverage all over, most QBs that are confident with their wideout abilities would take the man coverage. But then, if you have a DL front like the Giants built more on speed than size and similarly the Eagles, you will have more rushing TDs from the RBs. It is no co-incidence Moreno scored TDs vs Giants and Eagles. Against the Raiders, late in the game, once Peyton was gashing them, they stopped playing single safety high and played 2 safeties back daring him to run, so Peyton gave the goal line carry to Hillman.

I also realized Peyton can be an equal opportunity guy. In the Raiders game, when Decker got the first TD, Welker got the next TD, and Julius Thomas the 3rd TD, I saw the safety break towards Demaryius Thomas late at the snap and break up a pass thwarting a potential TD for Demaryius Thomas thus forcing the Broncos to settle for a FG. I saw it in the playoff game too -  Brandon Stokely, Knowshon Moreno, then DT. Peyton likes to spread the wealth around but then, in a regular season game where he has already spread wealth towards A and B, you can pretty much narrow it down to C or D options for a TD pass for safety help. That can work against him too even though his intentions are good. :)

More than 75% of the time, the coverage and DL front at the goal line dictates what a QB does.

In comment 31 ,ESPN article today on how welker used differently and in future will be more variations

Have a good day

maybe catch u guys later

Up real early but at least was for my pleasure for a change this  early am when left ,  I  needed it,

Manning did say that but I think it was his way of reaching out to one of his hero's and someone that shared a common bond with him for so many years (greatest qb to not win the big one) then truth really. I think Peyton just wants to win every game...he wants to execute every play. The results be what they be...

As for 1 yd passes....I don't care who you are...if the defense stacks the line of scrimmage it is tons easier to hit a singled wide out that has a 6 inch height advantage or one that runs probably the quickest 5 yd out in football. Peyton (and Tom for that matter) have both shown through the years they will take what the defense gives them. You play two deep zone with lbs dropping back and 4 man front....Peyton will run it down your throat...just like Tom will....but you stack the box...show blitz...he will find your weak link and go against the man coverage. This is just football 101....and anyone disagreing is just bitter at Tom for his record or Peyton for his accomplisments as well. A TD is a TD. Running it down a teams throat is just as demeaning as throwing one. There is no padding stats...if you throw it all down the field to get there why is there some obligation to run it inside the 5? Clearly you do what is successful and there isn't much more successful than letting Peyton or Tom take a down or two to almost walk it out and hand it to their receivers for TDs. I don't get the padding stats blah blah blah stuff. You make the high percentage play...and why run at the teeth of the defense on the goal line if you have winning match ups on the outside....but who am I....just a couch coach/qb/gm.

Manning did say that but I think it was his way of reaching out to one of his hero's and someone that shared a common bond with him for so many years (greatest qb to not win the big one) then truth really. I think Peyton just wants to win every game...he wants to execute every play. The results be what they be...

As for 1 yd passes....I don't care who you are...if the defense stacks the line of scrimmage it is tons easier to hit a singled wide out that has a 6 inch height advantage or one that runs probably the quickest 5 yd out in football. Peyton (and Tom for that matter) have both shown through the years they will take what the defense gives them. You play two deep zone with lbs dropping back and 4 man front....Peyton will run it down your throat...just like Tom will....but you stack the box...show blitz...he will find your weak link and go against the man coverage. This is just football 101....and anyone disagreing is just bitter at Tom for his record or Peyton for his accomplisments as well. A TD is a TD. Running it down a teams throat is just as demeaning as throwing one. There is no padding stats...if you throw it all down the field to get there why is there some obligation to run it inside the 5? Clearly you do what is successful and there isn't much more successful than letting Peyton or Tom take a down or two to almost walk it out and hand it to their receivers for TDs. I don't get the padding stats blah blah blah stuff. You make the high percentage play...and why run at the teeth of the defense on the goal line if you have winning match ups on the outside....but who am I....just a couch coach/qb/gm.

agree , also DT 1 yard, Welker a 4 yarder

also the TD I read, no longer have link , was set up that way, line stacked 3 TE's & single WR at right DT, he got man to man coverage and pow  the throw  to the Pylon, with single coverage on DT what do u expect