Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Harbaugh has no spine/Aldon Smith [Merge]

chrisfarley

I don't care what you say, Aldon Smith should have not played.  Harbaugh, player union or no player union so stupid and everyone knows it. Colts win or loss,  I loved Jim when he played here but just lost a ton of respect for him.  He is the coach, do something and set an example (which is NOT a stretch) , and don't think he could not have.  Don't even go there. I realize the 49ers are going to try to help him. Let's let him play because it's a big game and the season is riding on us winning. I'm ready for the hammer, let 'er rip.  Not going to change my mind.

I don't care what you say, Aldon Smith should have not played. Harbaugh, player union or no player union so stupid and everyone knows it. Colts win or loss, I loved Jim when he played here but just lost a ton of respect for him. He is the coach, do something and set an example (which is NOT a stretch) , and don't think he could not have. Don't even go there. I realize the 49ers are going to try to help him. Let's let him play because it's a big game and the season is riding on us winning. I'm ready for the hammer, let 'er rip. Not going to change my mind.

you realize there is a cba right? They would have had to pay him even if he didn't dress. He agreed to counseling and the union doesn't need to be involved now. Most teams would have played him this week. This isn't pop Warner. He wasnt suspended, so he plays.

Does seem strange that the team allowed him to play then cleaned out his locker after. I would not put this one on Jim. It came from the mgmt. They were also the ones talking to the press about it.

heard was something about CBA or some rules that allowed him to play , but even so , to immediately pack him off afterwards reeks of FOUL PLAY , or just Reeks  , seem evident just trying to wait  to try and have D at strength 4 this game  when u knew offense weapons were limited

I know Jim is just trying to play winning football 

, but at the cost of all ethics to me and hope San Fran youngsters dont take it as real leadership but poor judgement and 49'rs got JUST rewarded with a loss in own house for it, 

it may of been allowed so I understand why they did it but still just reeks to me

Just glad our Colts were ones to take it to him

Complete joke by the Niners.

"Oh hey you want to go to rehab? Sorry buddy, but we would like a win here so just play this game, and then you can go."

Really brave to suspend a guy when you give yourself ample time to gameplay a replacement for him. But game day? Naw, it can wait.

you realize there is a cba right? They would have had to pay him even if he didn't dress. He agreed to counseling and the union doesn't need to be involved now. Most teams would have played him this week. This isn't pop Warner. He wasnt suspended, so he plays.

ok, so i guess all the professional players who are of the same opinion (current and former) who are and were members of the union are wrong too, right?  Did you listen to the Dan Patrick show and others this morning?

ok, so i guess all the professional players who are of the same opinion (current and former) who are and were members of the union are wrong too, right? Did you listen to the Dan Patrick show and others this morning?

no, i don't listen to talking heads to form my opinions

• Tim Kawakami of the San Jose Mercury News writes, “Jim Harbaugh and the 49ers cut ethical and moral corners Sunday to win a football game that they still lost. They knew they were doing it; they knew they'd be called for it. They still did it. The 49ers let troubled linebacker Aldon Smith play only days after his DUI arrest -- and apparently right before he enters a treatment center -- and it wasn't enough to win the game. ... If you're going to drop most standards of behavior in order to win the game, you sort of have to win the game in order for any of this to make sense.”

• Tim Kawakami of the San Jose Mercury News writes, “Jim Harbaugh and the 49ers cut ethical and moral corners Sunday to win a football game that they still lost. They knew they were doing it; they knew they'd be called for it. They still did it. The 49ers let troubled linebacker Aldon Smith play only days after his DUI arrest -- and apparently right before he enters a treatment center -- and it wasn't enough to win the game. ... If you're going to drop most standards of behavior in order to win the game, you sort of have to win the game in order for any of this to make sense.”

pffft. .....Smith is a grown man. This BUNK about him needing "treatment" is a classic out for people that mess up like he did. 

Also, I like how the author inadvertently tried to exclaim the decision to let Smith play would've been acceptable if the 49ers had won. 

I can understand putting your best players on the field, but after a arrest, it certainly was a head scratcher.

That doesn't mean that Harbaugh has no spine, the guy is payed to coach and win games, for which he didn't.

Harbaugh made a mistake and I wouldn't be surprised if the league didn't discipline him or the team for that decision.

There's nothing to add here...The writer is correct.

The 49ers knew they were going to suspend on Aldon before the game because they announced it immediately afterwards..

....I'm guessing he asked to play one last game (He likely wont be back this year)

Jim Harbaugh had a moral dilemma and he failed the test

Guest TeamLoloJones

Hey lay off of Harbaugh guys...if not for him we wouldn't have Luck.  He's a former Colt too.  Show a little respect.

I was a little irked to see Smith out there as well-- I think it's a cheap cop-out to "let the league handle it". When Patty Mac went swimming we disciplined him in house and HE wasn't even DRIVING drunk. Just went for a swim is all. :P

Long story short, a different organization would have handled it a little more professionally. However, I'm not at all surprised. Good thing is, our boys up front handled Smith all day long regardless!

The 49ers knew they were going to suspend on Aldon before the game because they announced it immediately afterwards..

....I'm guessing he asked to play one last game (He likely wont be back this year)

Smith isn't suspended. he went to therapy and is taking a leave of absence

they can do what ever they want, they're the 49'ers!  :D

Why is this a "moral" issue? 

What morals are in play here? I know my boss would appreciate me coming in to work on Monday if I goofed up and got arrested for DUI over the weekend. Or are we doing this "what about the children" thing again? 

Why is this a "moral" issue? 

What morals are in play here? I know my boss would appreciate me coming in to work on Monday if I goofed up and got arrested for DUI over the weekend. Or are we doing this "what about the children" thing again? 

you can go with the Charles Barkley take, "i'm no role model"

I think if the majority of people on this board were being paid and under the pressure to win like nfl head coaches are, 99% of us would play our best pass rusher in a game until told we can't. Especially after coming off a loss and not wanting to risk losing another. What they should not have done is say he will be on the field in a limited role cause he played fulltime. They lost anyway but I too would have played Alton. Morals and football don't always go together, if you want morals, don't watch football and go to church, oh wait...,