Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Cap implications of the T Rich trade...

John Dee

At first I HATED this move, but after sobering up and reviewing the particulars I now LOVE this move.

Here is a very nice article from the NFP

http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/The-financial-implications-of-the-Trent-Richardson-trade.html

The Colts get the 3rd pick in the 12 draft for basically 3 years at about 2.2 per.   VERY nice, Cleveland on the other hand paid him 13+ mi for 18 games.   UGHHH

AND, indy has approximately 30m in cap room in 2014, ...   so get off of the ledge all you "we have other needs folk"    Indy will address them in the off season.

This is win for both teams, and an even bigger win financially for the Colts.    

Just stay healthy T Rich...

This is the part of the trade that is starting to make me like it.  I found out about the trade in a text from my dad and my exact response was why?!?  I hate the idea of taking a RB with a first round pick.  I still don't like that aspect but this gives us a top tier RB for the next 3 years for essentially pennies.  That allows more money to be spent elsewhere (like offensive line) and that's a great thing.

Getting the guy with 3 years on his rookie contract without us having to pay his signing bonus is unquestionably a good move cap wise.  

I agree. Wow. Really wasn't sure I like the move 2 days ago. But when I look at it now it really looks like a good solid move. Of course we wont know how high that pick is going to be until the season is over. Hopefully it the 32 nd :thmup: . If Richardson stays healthy and plays to his potential then this was a very good move not only for getting his talent but also the financial aspect

At first I HATED this move, but after sobering up and reviewing the particulars I now LOVE this move.

http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/The-financial-implications-of-the-Trent-Richardson-trade.html

The Colts get the 3rd pick in the 12 draft for basically 3 years at about 2.2 per.   VERY nice, Cleveland on the other hand paid him 13+ mi for 18 games.   UGHHH

AND, indy has approximately 30m in cap room in 2014, ...   so get off of the ledge all you "we have other needs folk"    Indy will address them in the off season.

You wouldn't want to make sense now would you?  :D  After seeing the big picture I think this is a good trade. Giving up a #1 is a steep price but not if it comes later in the round. TR is at 2.2 million and Bradshaw is at 2 million. No one complained when Bradshaw was signed. We ended up with the #1 and #3 player in last years draft without paying a signing bonus for #3. I don't care what his yards per carry is as long as he helps the Colts win. 

I agree. Wow. Really wasn't sure I like the move 2 days ago. But when I look at it now it really looks like a good solid move. Of course we wont know how high that pick is going to be until the season is over. Hopefully it the 32 nd :thmup: . If Richardson stays healthy and plays to his potential then this was a very good move not only for getting his talent but also the financial aspect

The problem is that I think the cap implications of this would be the least of our concerns though.  Really to me the question boils down to if we could have with that first round pick gotten a guy that is more valuable to winning on the field then Trent Richardson is.  

I don't personally think we could have gotten a better player in terms of the ability to play their position well.  But I do think that RB's are not that valuable and an elite RB does less to help your team win then pretty much any other position on the offense.  

Does this make our team better?  Yes. . . could we have done something better with that first round pick to help us win in the future.  I think so.  That's why I don't like this trade, but at the same time I'm excited to see what he can do for our team.  

The problem is that I think the cap implications of this would be the least of our concerns though.  Really to me the question boils down to if we could have with that first round pick gotten a guy that is more valuable to winning on the field then Trent Richardson is.  

I don't personally think we could have gotten a better player in terms of the ability to play their position well.  But I do think that RB's are not that valuable and an elite RB does less to help your team win then pretty much any other position on the offense.  

Does this make our team better?  Yes. . . could we have done something better with that first round pick to help us win in the future.  I think so.  That's why I don't like this trade, but at the same time I'm excited to see what he can do for our team.  

Well your point is taken but I don't agree with your assessment that a RB does less to help his team win than other positions. For the Colts the thing that hopefully Richardson does is make defenses respect the  run. That opens up the passing game. He's also a really good blocker and receiver out of the backfield.

In another topic I posted that I hoped the Colts would try to not do to Luck with what happened to Manning his last few years here which was devalue the running game, plug in cheap offensive linemen hoping to patch together enough protection to still win games and place all the pressure on Manning and passing game to win games.

When we had Manning, Edge, Harrison, Saturday, Glenn, we had an unbelievable offense. Edge made the defense respect the run. Manning hit huge plays off the play action. We'd get a lead and feed the ball to Edge late in the game he just wore the defense down and ate up the clock. That kind of offense will still work in the NFL

Well your point is taken but I don't agree with your assessment that a RB does less to help his team win than other positions. For the Colts the thing that hopefully Richardson does is make defenses respect the  run. That opens up the passing game. He's also a really good blocker and receiver out of the backfield.

In another topic I posted that I hoped the Colts would try to not do to Luck with what happened to Manning his last few years here which was devalue the running game, plug in cheap offensive linemen hoping to patch together enough protection to still win games and place all the pressure on Manning and passing game to win games.

When we had Manning, Edge, Harrison, Saturday, Glenn, we had an unbelievable offense. Edge made the defense respect the run. Manning hit huge plays off the play action. We'd get a lead and feed the ball to Edge late in the game he just wore the defense down and ate up the clock. That kind of offense will still work in the NFL

I agree it will still work.  I wouldn't be the person that thinks we should have a cheap OL.  I would argue that a good all round OL (at both pass blocking and run blocking) will make defenses respect the run even if you have a RB who can't break many tackles more then a top RB alone will cause you to respect the run.  

I'd have rather invested that first rounder in a top guard that would knock people off the ball so a decent RB could just get behind him and go.  

My position isn't having Luck throw it 50 times a game and get beat up in the process.  It's more of I'd rather spend the draft picks on the dudes that pave the way then the guys that carry the ball.  

Fixed

Unless you think we're winning the SB in the next 2 years, the WR position isn't a check.  CB is still up in the air.  MLB we don't have anyone elite but we're pretty deep there and I wouldn't consider it a need right now.

And you guys left off the TE position which is a check.  

I agree it will still work.  I wouldn't be the person that thinks we should have a cheap OL.  I would argue that a good all round OL (at both pass blocking and run blocking) will make defenses respect the run even if you have a RB who can't break many tackles more then a top RB alone will cause you to respect the run.  

I'd have rather invested that first rounder in a top guard that would knock people off the ball so a decent RB could just get behind him and go.  

My position isn't having Luck throw it 50 times a game and get beat up in the process.  It's more of I'd rather spend the draft picks on the dudes that pave the way then the guys that carry the ball.  

Totally agree. But if you can get a difference maker which Richardson supposedly is you get him. Lets face it every draft pick is a crap shoot. Besides, apparently we are going to have 30 mil in cap space next year. You can buy a heck of a guard in free agency with that kind of loot.

Totally agree. But if you can get a difference maker which Richardson supposedly is you get him. Lets face it every draft pick is a crap shoot. Besides, apparently we are going to have 30 mil in cap space next year. You can buy a heck of a guard in free agency with that kind of loot.

I don't know how much we will have left by the time free agency rolls around.

We need to re-sign Davis which will take up a good chunk of that.  And if we re-sign Bethea that will take up another chunk of that.  

When it's all said and done we'll have maybe 20 million left to work with.  Still enough to grab a good guard in FA.  I wouldn't be bothered by a guard in the 2nd round though.  In fact that's what I wanted to do.

What I really wanted to spend that first rounder on was a WR to replace Reggie as he only has 1 more year left on his contract after this one.  

After that we have to turn our eyes towards defense.  Our defense is still horrible at setting the edge and it needs more pass rush.  Maybe Werner can give us that.

Draft is somewhat of a crap shoot but I don't think it is nearly as much as people think.  It's all about having the right GM and scouts.  Every front office is going to miss once in a while on a draft pick, but there is a reason that over the course of several years, the same teams end up with the big draft busts while other teams are getting good production from their late round picks.  

With the job we did in the 2012 draft I tend to think we have a fairly good front office on this end.   

(2 weeks in it's impossible to evaluate the 2013 draft class)

Your numbers are correct, and I agree with the overall point of your post. But I'd like to point out that at least some of the Colts cap space in 2014 will have to go toward resigning some of our own free agents. 

Angerer, Bethea, Davis, DHB, McAfee, Moala are all free agents in 2014. Let's say we keep Davis, DHB and McAfee only, that's still enough to cut into our cap space significantly. I don't know what we're going to do at safety with Bethea, but if we keep him, that will have an impact as well. And as of right now, we'll probably need about $3m to sign draft picks (would be $8m if we had a first and a fourth). 

We'll save some bonus money from our first rounder, how much depends on what pick we'd have had. Hopefully it's a late first (crossing fingers hoping it's a VERY late first).

But we're not going to really have $30m to spend acquiring new players. We'll have enough if we want to sign a pass rusher and an offensive lineman. But not $30m.

Edit: I just repeated a lot of what Valpo says above.

Your numbers are correct, and I agree with the overall point of your post. But I'd like to point out that at least some of the Colts cap space in 2014 will have to go toward resigning some of our own free agents.

Angerer, Bethea, Davis, DHB, McAfee, Moala are all free agents in 2014. Let's say we keep Davis, DHB and McAfee only, that's still enough to cut into our cap space significantly. I don't know what we're going to do at safety with Bethea, but if we keep him, that will have an impact as well. And as of right now, we'll probably need about $3m to sign draft picks (would be $8m if we had a first and a fourth).

We'll save some bonus money from our first rounder, how much depends on what pick we'd have had. Hopefully it's a late first (crossing fingers hoping it's a VERY late first).

But we're not going to really have $30m to spend acquiring new players. We'll have enough if we want to sign a pass rusher and an offensive lineman. But not $30m.

Edit: I just repeated a lot of what Valpo says above.

Bradshaw is a free agent as well but I don't think we keep him past this year so he's probably moot to the point you were making.

Bradshaw is a free agent as well but I don't think we keep him past this year so he's probably moot to the point you were making.

Yeah, I think we all considered him a one year rental, with an outside chance of getting another deal from us. Now with Richardson, that chance is slimmer. But even if we do keep him, it's probably on a minimal one year deal again. He's not going to have a whole lot of value after he spends this year as a #2 back, and next year he'll be 28.

There are about 15 other free agents after 2013. I was just listing the guys I think have a realistic chance at being offered another contract by the Colts.

YIP, the Elite player we were going to draft next year clearly would have been more valuable.

Unless the pick turns into a bust of course!

Not that Richardson is Elite. Just Solid.

YIP, the Elite player we were going to draft next year clearly would have been more valuable.

Unless the pick turns into a bust of course!

Not that Richardson is Elite. Just Solid.

You have to trust that your picks in the draft are general are going to work out like you expect them to or else you don't have anything and your team will always suck.

Sure anyone can get a bust now and then.  But there is a reason why the same teams are nearly always drafting busts and the same teams are nearly always drafting well.   

That is just one of the MANY reasons I liked the trade...you get a pretty well known commodity in exchange for an unknown player at an unknown draft spot, who is just as likely to bust as boom.... and we get him for very cheap...

Where I disagree is that it's a win for both teams... lets not forget ALLL of the draft picks that the Browns got from Atlanta in the trade for Julio Jones...and of all of those pics, Phil Taylor is basically the only one that's still playing on their team...when you put it into that perspective, i'd make this trade for Richardson, no questions asked.