Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Bring on the NINERS

NDcolt

If the Colts do beat SF @ SF it should be a pretty defining moment showing they can pretty much beat anyone. It's going to be a very tough game but if they play well enough, they can win.

This is the perfect time to bring out the monster. Colts didn't play good on the road last year at all. Hopefully, they do this year.

Sorry for the reality check but let's go through the matchups:

home field:  Niners

coaching:  niners

passing:  even

rushing:  niners

o line:  niners

defensive line: niners

secondary:niners

special teams: niners

This is not like the GB game from last year.  We are on the road and playing a top 3 defense rather than the league's worst defense. 

I don't get everyone's pessimism.  This is a beatable 49ers team.  Granted, Seattle has a better defense than ours.  But ours isn't so bad in the areas that matter most, we just have to play more consistently on both sides of the ball.

Seattle spread out the defense.  Lynch had a lot of success running the ball when in 3 WR sets.  We try to outpower the 49ers, we're in for a long day.  Quite frankly, if we see 1 WR sets on anything but redzone and short yardage situations, I might puke.  We're not built to run people over, and while it may have some success (which that's debatable by the way) against hte Fins and the Raiders, it will get us nowhere against hte 49ers.  Might as well punt on first down.

Luck must be better in the pocket this week.  While we shouldn't risk re-injury to DHB, he needs to be in the game just to be a threat.  Open Hilton and Fleener over the middle (and catch the stinkin ball while you're at it).  Make your reads, take what the defense gives you.  No turnovers and staying in control of the clock will be our best defense.  The less time Kaep is on the field, the less chance he can make some Madden 25 play on us. 

Speaking of Kaep, the Seahawks were getting after Kaep all night long with blitzes and forcing him out of the pocket and when he was in the pocket, he wasn't going through his reads.  Contain and get push up the middle.  Our DL is not as fast as Seattle's DL.  The best defense against SF is getting push back on their OL.  They have been underwhelming this year, and there's no reason we shouldn't be able to manhandle them.  Except for quick breathers, Josh Chapman should be in the game at all times.  DL will be critical in this game.  Can't let Kaep run around like we did with Pryor.  Mathis, Werner, Walden all need to play very disciplined.

Boldin is not the athlete he once was.  Whether it's Toler or Davis (and I'm leaning toward Davis), keep him from getting over the top of you.  BecauseI think that the toughest issue we'll have is when Davis and Boldin are on the same side in 11 personnel.  Don't think Werner is a strong in coverage yet, our ILBs are okay, but small.  So seams up the middle will leave 1 safety over the top to cover a LOT of green and we will need help over the top.  Our CBs will have to be absolute nightmares this week.  Davis and Toler both have this ability, but we can't get caught with our pants down.  SF preys on big play ability, which is why we lost this past week.  Gotta be consistent this week.

Well again, we know eric reid is out (concussion) along with ian williams (ankle). Vernon davis and ray mcdonald are most likely day to day right now. If all four dont play that will seriously cripple this team. Granted vernon davis finally gets to play vontae, id assume he will play. Seems like a winnable game but execution must be perfect

Let's be realistic. We won't be able to run the ball. Luck will hardly have time to throw. Our defense will have trouble with Kaep's running. Yeah, their secondary is bad but their front 7 is arguably the best in the NFL, our o-line is arguably the worst in the NFL.

I don't see Luck and the colts winning this battle. Definitely starting Philip Rivers over Luck this week in fantasy football :P

49ers starting nose tackle is out so running should be easier.

I don't get everyone's pessimism. This is a beatable 49ers team. Granted, Seattle has a better defense than ours. But ours isn't so bad in the areas that matter most, we just have to play more consistently on both sides of the ball.

Seattle spread out the defense. Lynch had a lot of success running the ball when in 3 WR sets. We try to outpower the 49ers, we're in for a long day. Quite frankly, if we see 1 WR sets on anything but redzone and short yardage situations, I might puke. We're not built to run people over, and while it may have some success (which that's debatable by the way) against hte Fins and the Raiders, it will get us nowhere against hte 49ers. Might as well punt on first down.

Luck must be better in the pocket this week. While we shouldn't risk re-injury to DHB, he needs to be in the game just to be a threat. Open Hilton and Fleener over the middle (and catch the stinkin ball while you're at it). Make your reads, take what the defense gives you. No turnovers and staying in control of the clock will be our best defense. The less time Kaep is on the field, the less chance he can make some Madden 25 play on us.

Speaking of Kaep, the Seahawks were getting after Kaep all night long with blitzes and forcing him out of the pocket and when he was in the pocket, he wasn't going through his reads. Contain and get push up the middle. Our DL is not as fast as Seattle's DL. The best defense against SF is getting push back on their OL. They have been underwhelming this year, and there's no reason we shouldn't be able to manhandle them. Except for quick breathers, Josh Chapman should be in the game at all times. DL will be critical in this game. Can't let Kaep run around like we did with Pryor. Mathis, Werner, Walden all need to play very disciplined.

Boldin is not the athlete he once was. Whether it's Toler or Davis (and I'm leaning toward Davis), keep him from getting over the top of you. BecauseI think that the toughest issue we'll have is when Davis and Boldin are on the same side in 11 personnel. Don't think Werner is a strong in coverage yet, our ILBs are okay, but small. So seams up the middle will leave 1 safety over the top to cover a LOT of green and we will need help over the top. Our CBs will have to be absolute nightmares this week. Davis and Toler both have this ability, but we can't get caught with our pants down. SF preys on big play ability, which is why we lost this past week. Gotta be consistent this week.

Boldin is better than he once was. He had 145 yards and a score versus us in playoffs and over 200 yards versus greenbay. He is theur most dangerous weapon.

Boldin is better than he once was. He had 145 yards and a score versus us in playoffs and over 200 yards versus greenbay. He is theur most dangerous weapon.

He's still good, but you can't tell me that 32 year old Boldin is a bigger, faster, better route runner than a 28 year old Boldin.  But the entire point of my post wasn't to argue about Boldin.  So we'll agree to disagree.

Posted · Hidden by Superman, September 17, 2013 - inflammatory
Hidden by Superman, September 17, 2013 - inflammatory

After rewatching the game I stepped away from the ledge. Luck missed throws all game very uncharacteristic. BELIEVE Colts fans we can beat the Niners we are a talented team still finding our groove. Luck has never lost back-to-back games & won't start now!!!! BELIEVE!!!

You will have all you can take of the Niners by the end of the first quarter. I expect Harbaugh has some grudges against Indianapolis and they way he was treated there. Just like Peyton is going to run it up on the Colts, so is Harbaugh.

The Colts are catching the Niners at a good time. Right now the Niners are having a tough time running the ball on offense and stopping the run on defense. I think the average yards per carry for the team is 3.5 this season while it was 5.1 last year. Oline is having a bad start as Gore has a grand total of 60 yards on 30 carries in two games. 23 penalties for over 200 yards so far, almost twice last years pace.

• Pretty much the opposite of the last couple of years.
  • Good thing for SF is that the Niners are 8-0 after a loss or tie.
  • Should be a good game though with the Luck/Harbaugh history. Hopefully Harbaugh will have better results than he did with Richard Sherman.

The Colts are catching the Niners at a good time. Right now the Niners are having a tough time running the ball on offense and stopping the run on defense. I think the average yards per carry for the team is 3.5 this season while it was 5.1 last year. Oline is having a bad start as Gore has a grand total of 60 yards on 30 carries in two games. 23 penalties for over 200 yards so far, almost twice last years pace.

• Should be a good game though with the Luck/Harbaugh history. Hopefully Harbaugh will have better results than he did with Richard Sherman.

Welcome to the forum.

I guess you could say you are catching the Colts at a good time as well and honestly sometimes I don't know what we will see from this team week to week let alone quarter to quarter. :)

49ers are heavy favorites and rightfully so but I am hoping for a great game!

I would also like to welcome you to the forum. 

The 49ers have an OL that most teams would love to have. We have played the run between the tackles well, but have struggled setting the edge, so this game could be interesting. 

I think it will be close and come down to the last drive. I expect both offenses to have success.

Welcome to the forum.

I guess you could say you are catching the Colts at a good time as well and honestly sometimes I don't know what we will see from this team week to week let alone quarter to quarter. :)

49ers are heavy favorites and rightfully so but I am hoping for a great game!

Thanks for the welcome!

It's kind of hard to get a bead on a team that has a Jekyl and Hyde personality. Looking back at the way Harbaugh gave the Niner's starters minimal minutes in the preseason now makes me wonder if that was the best way to go. Maybe they oline didn't have enough time to get in the groove they had the last couple of seasons. At the time it seemed like a good idea, now not so much.  

I always look at these heavily favored games as trap games.Never like them. A couple of freak plays and you never know what can happen.

I would also like to welcome you to the forum. 

The 49ers have an OL that most teams would love to have. We have played the run between the tackles well, but have struggled setting the edge, so this game could be interesting. 

I think it will be close and come down to the last drive. I expect both offenses to have success.

Appreciate it BlueShoe.

I don't know what happened the last couple of games in the playcalling. Looks like off tackle plays aren't being called lately as everything was up the gut in the Seattle game. I have my suspicions that Seattle knew what was coming either by personnel or formation just as the Rams did last year. If one team knows the "tells" they all figure it out tipped plays pretty quick.

I hope it doesn't come down to who has the ball last. Those games only give me more gray hair and drive my blood pressure up! 

You might be right about the offenses being successful. Rodgers had a pretty good day and although Wilson didn't have a lot of yards he was patient and accurate when he had to be. If Luck does that the end of the game might be closer than us Niner fans want.

Appreciate it BlueShoe.

I don't know what happened the last couple of games in the playcalling. Looks like off tackle plays aren't being called lately as everything was up the gut in the Seattle game. I have my suspicions that Seattle knew what was coming either by personnel or formation just as the Rams did last year. If one team knows the "tells" they all figure it out tipped plays pretty quick.

I hope it doesn't come down to who has the ball last. Those games only give me more gray hair and drive my blood pressure up! 

You might be right about the offenses being successful. Rodgers had a pretty good day and although Wilson didn't have a lot of yards he was patient and accurate when he had to be. If Luck does that the end of the game might be closer than us Niner fans want.

I can only hope that San Fran runs the ball up the middle on us. Not to say we will shut you down if you do, but we have better success defending runs up the middle. This is unlike when we ran the Cover 2 and our front seven was like butter up the middle, but contained the edge very well. This is obviously a personnel difference with bigger and slower players now compared to our old days of smaller and faster players. 

Yeah, we are used to close games. We have had 10 out of 18 games with Luck settled in the last few drives. Good news for us is that we have won 8 of them. We probably have 12 year olds with grey hair. :)

I am looking forward to the game against the 49ers, because it will let us know where we stand. I picked the Dolphins to win the East this year so it did not surprise me that it was a close game, although I thought we would pull it out in the end.  

Each team has weaknesses. Our weakness is pass blocking and setting the edge. From what I can tell the 49ers are having issues at WR and corner. You bring up play calling, and depending on who you ask here, we have the same problem too.

I actually like the more balanced approach and enjoy that we are finally having success running the ball. I believe most people outside of Colts fans still have the impression that we cannot run the ball. That is no longer true as we now have good success running when we commit to it. Our OL is a much better run blocking group than pass blocking, especially in the interior. 

Echoing the other Colts fans, Welcome! 

We've been discussing to some extent the lack of run production on the 49ers part.  But at the same token, it's still Frank Gore.  And correct me if I'm wrong, it's still pretty much the same OL as last year.  I think part of the issue is that teams are figuring out the read option (thank god).  But if you watched us at all against the Raiders, we were terrible against it.  Part of it was it was week 1, part of it was we had never seen it before as we had no opponents last year who ran it with regularity.  So while I say I'm confident we will be better, the question is, how effective can we be at stopping it?  If you guys have some success with it, I think we'll be in trouble.  Dolphins last week gashed us with the run and it made it difficult to defend play action, and that's not even mentioning read option passing. 

I'm also worried about defending Davis.  He'll be our first real challenge at guarding an elite TE and I'm not sure how we are going to do it.  Our LBs are average at best in coverage and small.  Landry is a beast in the run game, but his weakness is in the passing game.  I see him running seams up the middle all day which is his bread and butter.  How did the Hawks cover?

At any rate, we're glad to have you on the forums for the next week or so and be sure to let any mods know if any of the knuckleheads in our fan base get out of line.  They mean well, but i'm sure you know sports fans get out of line.  I'm only curious what you dealt with from Seahawks fans.  Great fan base, but man do some of them run their mouths.

You and me both.

Yeah right. Nice job selling me out over in 49er ville. You know as well as I do that all I was trying to do, was balance the negativity, and encourage people to have a little self-respect as a Colts fan. You have read these post here too. 

Delusional huh?

I tell you what delusional is. It is when you say you think we are going to win here, and when you get around others you back down and say you know we are going to lose. 

Yeah right. Nice job selling me out over in 49er ville. You know as well as I do that all I was trying to do, was balance the negativity, and encourage people to have a little self-respect as a Colts fan. You have read these post here too. 

Delusional huh?

I tell you what delusional is. It is when you say you think we are going to win here, and when you get around others you back down and say you know we are going to lose. 

"Hey 49ers fans, first let me start by saying I'm a Colts fan but I'm not here to talk trash or any of that nonsense. On behalf of that forum I want to say don't listen or pay any attention to about 75% of the posters over there. Unfortunately for every 1 good poster there are about 10 crazy and/or delusional posters. I'm fully expecting a loss Sunday, but of course as a fan I'm hoping the team pulls a massive upset. Your offense shouldn't have any problem moving the chains and getting into the endzone. The Colts have not played a complete game yet, they will show up for one or two quarters and then take the rest of the game off. I'm predicting 35-24 49ers. Good luck to your team the rest of the way, and I'm really pulling for you guys to win the division over Seattle. I cannot stand Pete Carroll, or Richard Sherman."

^^^^^

(my post from the Niners' place)

Yeah I sure threw in the towel, expecting and guaranteeing are two different things. I didn't call you delusional, they did. But thanks for calling me a "sorry...you know what"  I stuck up for the competent posters around here, who I won't name. I don't want the entire Colts fanbase painted in a negative light, because of some bad eggs.

",,,,"

(my post from the Niners' place)

Yeah I sure threw in the towel, expecting and guaranteeing are two different things. I didn't call you delusional, they did. But thanks for calling me a "sorry...you know what"  I stuck up for the competent posters around here, who I won't name. I don't want the entire Colts fanbase painted in a negative light, because of some bad eggs.

You saw an opportunity and you took it. This is me giving you the response it deserves,

By the way, it is against the rules to copy and paste things from other message boards. At least that is how I have always understood it.  

You saw an opportunity and you took it. This is me giving you the response it deserves,

By the way, it is against the rules to copy and past things from other message boards. At least that is how I have always understood it.  

I gave myself persmission to quote myself.

BlueShoe, on 18 Sept 2013 - 03:08 AM, said:

I can only hope that San Fran runs the ball up the middle on us. Not to say we will shut you down if you do, but we have better success defending runs up the middle. This is unlike when we ran the Cover 2 and our front seven was like butter up the middle, but contained the edge very well. This is obviously a personnel difference with bigger and slower players now compared to our old days of smaller and faster players. 

Yeah, we are used to close games. We have had 10 out of 18 games with Luck settled in the last few drives. Good news for us is that we have won 8 of them. We probably have 12 year olds with grey hair. :)

I am looking forward to the game against the 49ers, because it will let us know where we stand. I picked the Dolphins to win the East this year so it did not surprise me that it was a close game, although I thought we would pull it out in the end.  

Each team has weaknesses. Our weakness is pass blocking and setting the edge. From what I can tell the 49ers are having issues at WR and corner. You bring up play calling, and depending on who you ask here, we have the same problem too.

I actually like the more balanced approach and enjoy that we are finally having success running the ball. I believe most people outside of Colts fans still have the impression that we cannot run the ball. That is no longer true as we now have good success running when we commit to it. Our OL is a much better run blocking group than pass blocking, especially in the interior. 

At least we can say the playcalling is consistent with OC Greg Roman in SF. IMO if something is working he sticks with it and if it isn't working he sticks with it! lol. It's been a point of debate in some Niner forums lately.

I saw some of the Raider game and was surprised how easily the Colts moved the ball early against Oakland. Like the two tight end stuff that you run. Allen and Fleener look like trouble for the Niners. Going up against another QB that can run will put some pressure on the DL and LBs to contain Luck before he gets 20 yards downfield.

Niner fans are looking forward to this game as well, believe me. That Seattle game left a bitter taste and nothing helps relieve that better than next weeks game. The GB game masked deficiencies in the offense and defense that the Seahawks fully explioted. Niner need to find answers and quick.

I think a balanced offense is what every team strives for but few have the personnel to pull off. Just the result of the salary cap era where you pay a couple of players lots and you lose players that you'd like to keep but can't afford.

OffensivelyPC, on 18 Sept 2013 - 05:17 AM, said:OffensivelyPC, on 18 Sept 2013 - 05:17 AM, said:

Echoing the other Colts fans, Welcome! 

We've been discussing to some extent the lack of run production on the 49ers part.  But at the same token, it's still Frank Gore.  And correct me if I'm wrong, it's still pretty much the same OL as last year.  I think part of the issue is that teams are figuring out the read option (thank god).  But if you watched us at all against the Raiders, we were terrible against it.  Part of it was it was week 1, part of it was we had never seen it before as we had no opponents last year who ran it with regularity.  So while I say I'm confident we will be better, the question is, how effective can we be at stopping it?  If you guys have some success with it, I think we'll be in trouble.  Dolphins last week gashed us with the run and it made it difficult to defend play action, and that's not even mentioning read option passing. 

I'm also worried about defending Davis.  He'll be our first real challenge at guarding an elite TE and I'm not sure how we are going to do it.  Our LBs are average at best in coverage and small.  Landry is a beast in the run game, but his weakness is in the passing game.  I see him running seams up the middle all day which is his bread and butter.  How did the Hawks cover?

At any rate, we're glad to have you on the forums for the next week or so and be sure to let any mods know if any of the knuckleheads in our fan base get out of line.  They mean well, but i'm sure you know sports fans get out of line.  I'm only curious what you dealt with from Seahawks fans.  Great fan base, but man do some of them run their mouths.

Thank you OffensivelyPC,

As far as the running game, yes Gore does look slower but then Kendall Hunter's numbers are down too. As a team last years numbers were 5.1ypc and this season 3.5. So the real answer might be a combination of the two. Teams have really put work into stopping the RO too. I expect the Colts to be better at defending the RO this week as the more familiar you are with something the better you understand it.  The Seahawks game does show teams how to stop the RO but you need the personnel too. Seattle  and St. Louis built their teams specifically to match up with SF so it's no wonder that they've played well against the Niners.

You might not have to worry about Vernon as he pulled a hamstring late in the game. I read that he said it's ok but will still have to rest it. You have to be careful with those or it might end up nagging him throughout the season.  I think Seattle used Chancellor on Davis most of the time and kept him from doing much.

LoL every fan base has over the top fans but Seattle has more than it's share recently. They've had their share of being down and now they're on the upswing.  It's a long season and a lot can happen by the time its done.

This is an obvious loss, as my prior prediction states, however, there is a chance we don't get embarrassed and at least make it respectable , say by losing only by 18 to 21. I wouldn't call that a complete washout. They were embarrassed at Seattle and will want to take it out on us no doubt about it. Luck will be harassed by hornets all day.Well just have to suck it up and endure the pain.

yikes, good call. You haven't moved to Vegas yet have you?