Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Can we all agree that one of the many stud LTs have to be drafted rnd 1?

GoodLuck

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

No, if it's not the best prospect on the board when we draft then no.  For example we are also probably going to have a need for a future number one WR so if one is on the board when we pick that you take that regardless of the LT position.  You don't force picks based on need in the draft.  You draft the best player on your board that fills a need. 

No, if it's not the best prospect on the board when we draft then no.  For example we are also probably going to have a need for a future number one WR so if one is on the board when we pick that you take that regardless of the LT position.  You don't force picks based on need in the draft.  You draft the best player on your board that fills a need. 

Why wouldn't LT be a need?

G on current showing would be a bigger need, but hey let's what Thornton can do. Give AC some slack, he rushed back for week 1 as we have no depth at T.

I've always thought AC has been SLIGHTLY over rated by the forum.  What I mean by that is people keep saying well Glenn wasn't that great his first couple of years like there is an expectation that AC is going to grow into Glenn.  I don't think that's going to happen because I have watched both of their whole careers.  Now with that said I've always thought Glenn was a little underrated by our fanbase as a whole too so maybe it averages out.  I also think that AC is going to still get better and has been our best lineman in recent years.  I would also agree that the issues last week were more of a product of him not being 100% than anything else at least it better because he was Link at guard vs. the Chargers in 2010 bad last week. 

I've always thought AC has been SLIGHTLY over rated by the forum.  What I mean by that is people keep saying well Glenn wasn't that great his first couple of years like there is an expectation that AC is going to grow into Glenn.  I don't think that's going to happen because I have watched both of their whole careers.  Now with that said I've always thought Glenn was a little underrated by our fanbase as a whole too so maybe it averages out.  I also think that AC is going to still get better and has been our best lineman in recent years.  I would also agree that the issues last week were more of a product of him not being 100% than anything else at least it better because he was Link at guard vs. the Chargers in 2010 bad last week.

I'd say in part, and I don't say this as a joke, given the state of our line the previous 2 seasons he's been our best player on the O line. That and and we all hope, or is that desperately wish, he becomes a franchise LT. Otherwise we have another major hole to fix.

This season will prove crucial to his career.

Why wouldn't LT be a need?

Depends on what they do with Castonzo. 

Also I didn't say LT wouldn't be a need.  I just said you don't go into the draft saying we HAVE to draft a LT with our first pick.  If the best player on the board when we pick is a WR then we probably go WR for example.  If they are ready to part ways with Castonzo which they could be and LT is the best player on the board then you draft the LT. 

I am not objecting to the idea of drafting a LT (although I can't really say I am sure it's a must address situation at this point I think guards and center are a bigger issue than the tackles at this point on the o-line) I am just objecting to the idea of marrying ourselves to a certain position in the draft. 

I'd say in part, and I don't say this as a joke, given the state of our line the previous 2 seasons he's been our best player on the O line. That and and we all hope, or is that desperately wish, he becomes a franchise LT. Otherwise we have another major hole to fix.

This season will prove crucial to his career.

I don't disagree with that.  Castonzo's a solid tackle who has his moments but also has his moments that make you go can't we do better at LT?  I'd also saying being our best lineman the best couple of years has been like being the prettiest person at an ugly contest it doesn't mean much.  I agree with the idea that this year will go a long to determining his future with the Colts. 

Chances of us being in position to draft Matthews is slim to none, the dude will go in the top 10 if stays healthy, I think he is easily better then Castonzo but thats why we wont be in position to draft Matthews, Our other wr's not named Wayne need to get open more consistently for Luck to deliver the ball faster, That would make Castonzos shortcomings look less pronounced, We have to get a big(we already got wr's the size of jitter bugs) wr that can get separation of his route cuts, Raiders Corners stuck to our wr's like glue for quite a bit of the game sunday

Chances of us being in position to draft Matthews is slim to none, the dude will go in the top 10 if stays healthy, I think he is easily better then Castonzo but thats why we wont be in position to draft Matthews, Our other wr's not named Wayne need to get open more consistently for Luck to deliver the ball faster, That would make Castonzos shortcomings look less pronounced, We have to get a bug wr that can get separation of his route cuts, Raiders Corners stuck to our wr's like glue for quite a bit of the game sunday

The way Pep Hamilton calls a gm, lets just wait and see. But the point is, Its at least 5 franchise stud LTs coming out.

Richardson at Tenn is pretty good. 71 on Bama is really good. The.kid from Michigan is really good. The LT from Fla St was kind of low on that list I posted and he's really good.

It has been said in many situations "you are as strong as your weakest link"

Replace mcglynn and others, and I'll guarantee you'll see the line look a whole lot better.

we will, But Mcglynns ineptitude has nothing to do with Castonzos less then stellar pass blocking skills (His technique is...well.....there is not really much of a consistent technique, Its lunge and try to redirect, Very inconsistent moving his feet, Tends to block using his arms and hands to much instead of using his feet

The way Pep Hamilton calls a gm, lets just wait and see. But the point is, Its at least 5 franchise stud LTs coming out.

Richardson at Tenn is pretty good. 71 on Bama is really good. The.kid from Michigan is really good. The LT from Fla St was kind of low on that list I posted and he's really good.

I cant really say about any others except Lewan and Matthews, Both I like but honestly, If Luck would get rid of the ball quicker and our wr's got separation we would be fine I think

I'm all for new Lt. But not replacing cherilus with costanzo. I'd rather trade him to a thirsty team.

No one is going to give us any kind of value for Cherilus with that contract.  I always enjoy how fans want to trade players they don't think are very good and expect to get something of value back for him.  If he's not very good why would anyone trade for him?

If we move on from Cherilus Grigson will release him.  That was the big thing about how he set up these contracts he gave them a lot of money up front so they could release them after a couple of years without taking a huge cap hit if they didn't work out.  With that said it's way too early to give up on Cherilus.  He might not have been as good as people were hoping him to be when he got that big contract but he has been an upgrade from Justice to this point and out preformed Castonzo on Sunday but again I think that was due in large part to Castonzo's injury.  Let's let the line get healthy and give them some games to jell before we just write them off for this year.  If Thornton and Holmes pan out (and that will take more than this year before we can cast judgment on those two) and we let them jell we might realize that our line isn't as bad as we think they are right now.  If you look at what Girgson did he didn't go for the quick fix he went for the one that's going to take a little bit of time to develop and grow.  That's why I keep saying the goal for this year is progress and while the pass blocking wasn't great Sunday (again thanks in large part to Castonzo's injury) the ground game did improve.  Lots of work to do be done for sure but this is going to take a little bit of time. 

Remember that AC fell in the draft.  We didn't plan on getting him, so if he turned out good, that's gravy. 

The Giants seem happy with Pugh, who fell because he had short arms, but he is a good technician.  I suppose we'll have to find flawed gems like him if possible because the top guys will be long gone where we draft.

No one is going to give us any kind of value for Cherilus with that contract.  I always enjoy how fans want to trade players they don't think are very good and expect to get something of value back for him.  If he's not very good why would anyone trade for him?

If we move on from Cherilus Grigson will release him.  That was the big thing about how he set up these contracts he gave them a lot of money up front so they could release them after a couple of years without taking a huge cap hit if they didn't work out.  With that said it's way too early to give up on Cherilus.  He might not have been as good as people were hoping him to be when he got that big contract but he has been an upgrade from Justice to this point and out preformed Castonzo on Sunday but again I think that was due in large part to Castonzo's injury.  Let's let the line get healthy and give them some games to jell before we just write them off for this year.  If Thornton and Holmes pan out (and that will take more than this year before we can cast judgment on those two) and we let them jell we might realize that our line isn't as bad as we think they are right now.  If you look at what Girgson did he didn't go for the quick fix he went for the one that's going to take a little bit of time to develop and grow.  That's why I keep saying the goal for this year is progress and while the pass blocking wasn't great Sunday (again thanks in large part to Castonzo's injury) the ground game did improve.  Lots of work to do be done for sure but this is going to take a little bit of time. 

I think he was talking about Costanzo. 

Woah, slow down there. Didn't you read the sign on your way in? :P

RIP-Common-Sense1.jpg

I'm glad you wrote a novel and all but if you read carefully I meant trade costanzo... hence Why I eouodnt replace chaerilus with him since he is 10x better.

I'm glad you wrote a novel and all but if you read carefully I meant trade costanzo... hence Why I eouodnt replace chaerilus with him since he is 10x better.

First of all yes I miss read your post my mistake and I addressed it in my response to Dustin who pointed that out.

Second would people (because you aren't the only person who has used that line) get over how people respond and add the little shots like "glad you wrote a novel" it adds nothing to your point.  If you don't want to read it then don't. 

Even if we did draft a LT next year, and he beat out Castonzo, then we could move Castonzo to RG and have a good backup LT on the roster. No reason to trade away Castonzo as he does not cost us much and he is much better than the average starting OL in the league.

Now that said, I am not ready to give up on AC, and we have many more games this year to see what we have in him.

Even if we did draft a LT next year, and he beat out Castonzo, then we could move Castonzo to RG and have a good backup LT on the roster. No reason to trade away Castonzo as he does not cost us much and he is much better than the average starting OL in the league.

Now that said, I am not ready to give up on AC, and we have many more games this year to see what we have in him.

Moving from LT to power guard would be difficult.....don't see it