Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Why Peyton Manning Can Become The G.O.A.T.

Restored

yes and no . .. 01 and 03 were very similar and 07 had a lot of the core players from 01-04 . . . and 11 had some of the 07 players  . . .

there were only a few players on both 01/11, I think only Light Faulk and Brady . . . but now there is only Wilfork from the 04 team . . .

I was talking offense. All new receivers and TE on '03 except for Brown. Same thing with '07 - all new receivers and TE. '11 - new team compeltely included defense that was 32 against the pass. O.o

• Replies 289
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I never heard SF did not want him. I know Harbaugh tried to back peddle after Manning chose Denver so Smith would not feel slightly but I remember Steve Young reporting the SF absolutely wanted Manning but he told them he was going with Denver. Most at the time felt Elway's pull swayed Manning along with the fact that Harbaugh would not have had let him have full control of the O.

Harbaugh stated the were just evaluating him . . . I am not sure why SF would want him any more that Indy, his home town team . . . if Indy jettison him, why is it so difficult for people to understand another team would act like Indy . . . future versus trying to win now . . . SF had a solid QB that, but for a few interesting calls at the end of the SB, would have won a SB . . . he got farther in the playoffs than Manning who was on a 7-4 Tebow Bronco team . . .

Also Kap. had that amazing comeback against Atlanta . . .

So Kap is not chump and I would think that most would be happy with a young QB that brought them to the brink of a SB . . .

Again, I don't buy the "he is a HOF QB we need to get him" theory . . . not all teams are like this . . . SF is not and proved last year why they are not . . . Denver of coarse is another story . . . Tebow and no viable backup, solid WRs and solid D, that team on the other hand is screaming for a 3-4 HOF QB . . .

we must remember the trail the QB will leave as he leaves . . .it does not matter to Denver as they have no QB, but many do and many are young . . .

I was talking offense. All new receivers and TE on '03 except for Brown. Same thing with '07 - all new receivers and TE. '11 - new team compeltely included defense that was 32 against the pass. O.o

okay fair enough, I was talking about the all 53 as opposed to the skilled positions . . .

Harbaugh stated the were just evaluating him . . . I am not sure why SF would want him any more that Indy, his home town team . . . if Indy jettison him, why is it so difficult for people to understand another team would act like Indy . . . future versus trying to win now . . . SF had a solid QB that, but for a few interesting calls at the end of the SB, would have won a SB . . . he got farther in the playoffs than Manning who was on a 7-4 Tebow Bronco team . . .

Also Kap. had that amazing comeback against Atlanta . . .

So Kap is not chump and I would think that most would be happy with a young QB that brought them to the brink of a SB . . .

Again, I don't buy the "he is a HOF QB we need to get him" theory . . . not all teams are like this . . . SF is not and proved last year why they are not . . . Denver of coarse is another story . . . Tebow and no viable backup, solid WRs and solid D, that team on the other hand is screaming for a 3-4 HOF QB . . .

we must remember the trail the QB will leave as he leaves . . .it does not matter to Denver as they have no QB, but many do and many are young . . .

Smith was anything but a solid QB which is why he was benched last year despite having a winning record. Indy was in complete reorg mode that is why they moved on. SF was a QB away from winning the SB in most people's eyes. If they were not as interested as you say then why did they show up at the 11th hour and work him out? Also, Smith was in Miami as he was told that if Manning gave the thumbs up he was out and as soon as Manning announced Denver was his choice, Smith went back to SF. This was not feigned interest from what I could see. They wanted  Manning. And like you said, they had Kaep that they could have devloped behind him while winning bowls right now. Imagine Manning on this year niners team with Boldin? Scary.

Posted · Hidden by Nadine, September 12, 2013 - off topic
Hidden by Nadine, September 12, 2013 - off topic

I just did it by hand looking at the play by plays tab on NFL.com game day logs . . . I first found out what games Sorgi and Cassel played by looking at their stats on Yahoo sports, once I knew which game they played in I just went to the 8 or so games they both played in the game day logs on NFL.com and took notes from there . . .

Yah, again, I just wanted to put in perspective the first 15 games . . . and yes both teams acted the same way . . . as you indicated the colts ran a slow down offense to run down the clock and thus shorten the games and number of remaining possession, and thus the pain for the opponents as there would be fewer possessions left in the game for them to defend . . . pats did the same thing . . .but if we look at the games together we see a consistent pattern between the two teams . . . run the clock out, backups play, a possession or two where some might say the starter should not have been in the game and so on . . .

when I look at the two years, I find it nice to just look at the first 15 games as comparisons . . . yes Manning sat out game 16, but we don't know how many TDs he could of gotten . . . so looking at the first 15 is a nice way to compare . . . it is too bad that he sat out . . . . but at the same time we had a game in a monsoon in December (so one team rest its starter and you miss a game, and one team doesn't cover its stadium and you have to play in the elements) . . . also one way that I look at it is the fact that overall the pats punch ball in the endzone about 8-9 more times, so for me the overall TDs is just as important as the number through the air . . .

Barry, I hope your Cat Scan came out okay 

thanks, wont know for awhile, it wil show  the renewed stenosis at 2 spots found in 2011 , we just want to how much worse and if   any more areas as clinically am worse off but wouldnt want to go back in an area originally with a post op infection and tons of arthrits  and d0 more worjk esp as from c3 to c 7 vertebrae  well basically  enclosed  is a non existent spinal cord thinned out thing of what left of a spinal cord and no needed sheath around it to help with signal transmission and somehow  littlke b nerve collaterals that u can never see are  connecting areas allowing me to walk, albeit slowly and awkward, called ataxic and Drs dont undersatand how at all

, may / probably need another CAT 1 too based on  initial  findings of first 1 i suspect  , will see  neurologist to find out   , know rehab Dr would like lower back besides neck but thats another story

Even if wanted to do surgery cant as then no one to care for mom if I am post op 

I really dont remember how Pats ended gaames , only vivid one is the Cassell IT Pick 6 I think and VB Brady back in to reget the TD , take your word for it

all R unknowns , we are just speculating on what ifs, as said both are 2 great  of the greatest, a lso wonder what if Colts had Brady & Peyton a pat , way to strange evenb to think about, I still think peyton strange in Bronco uniform but not as bad as Unitas in charger powder blue

That it, I have cto go now , enjoy the day, Best to Pats but shouid win even if wr shortage, RUN THEM HATED REXY  JETS OUT OF THE BALLPARK IF NEED BE< U HAVE GREAT POWER RUN GAME< JUST HOLD ONTO BALL

Posted · Hidden by Nadine, September 12, 2013 - off topic
Hidden by Nadine, September 12, 2013 - off topic

PS, Thing is I really need an MRI to monitor,  but cant do to stupid pacemaker, Magnet of MRI would pull out leads right threw heart even if had pacemaker itself removed. Conduction Leads by now are buried in heart muscle and would required open heart surgery to take out 

Meanwhile damn thing put in in 1997 and stil have nearly a full battery., only losing some power from age, & self testing, but never has gone off, if actualy was needed, and used, would of  been replaced 2-3 times by now

If ever really need something done would have to have Myelogram ,. Dye injected into spinal canal and then a CAT scan to get better visibility of soft tissues

Barry, I hope your Cat Scan came out okay :thmup:

Posted · Hidden by Nadine, September 12, 2013 - spam
Hidden by Nadine, September 12, 2013 - spam

Posted · Hidden by Nadine, September 12, 2013 - spam
Hidden by Nadine, September 12, 2013 - spam

Smith was anything but a solid QB which is why he was benched last year despite having a winning record. Indy was in complete reorg mode that is why they moved on. SF was a QB away from winning the SB in most people's eyes. If they were not as interested as you say then why did they show up at the 11th hour and work him out? Also, Smith was in Miami as he was told that if Manning gave the thumbs up he was out and as soon as Manning announced Denver was his choice, Smith went back to SF. This was not feigned interest from what I could see. They wanted  Manning. And like you said, they had Kaep that they could have devloped behind him while winning bowls right now. Imagine Manning on this year niners team with Boldin? Scary.

I guess we will have to differ on the matter . . . I am not sure one would want to have Kap sit behind manning for all of those years and may even outlive his rookie contract . . . Rodgers only sat three years and that was with the home town franchise QB as opposed to a hire gun coming in from out of town . . . SF had two good QBs on the roster before Manning showed up . . . perhaps if manning was willing to play for a year or two, maybe they might of taken him, but he obviously wanted more given this contract in Denver . . .

Things are not as bright as we fans make it out to be and even tho we love our great QBs, there are not the be all and end all . . .

thanks, wont know for awhile, it wil show  the renewed stenosis at 2 spots found in 2011 , we just want to how much worse and if   any more areas as clinically am worse off but wouldnt want to go back in an area originally with a post op infection and tons of arthrits  and d0 more worjk esp as from c3 to c 7 vertebrae  well basically  enclosed  is a non existent spinal cord thinned out thing of what left of a spinal cord and no needed sheath around it to help with signal transmission and somehow  littlke b nerve collaterals that u can never see are  connecting areas allowing me to walk, albeit slowly and awkward, called ataxic and Drs dont undersatand how at all

, may / probably need another CAT 1 too based on  initial  findings of first 1 i suspect  , will see  neurologist to find out   , know rehab Dr would like lower back besides neck but thats another story

Even if wanted to do surgery cant as then no one to care for mom if I am post op 

I really dont remember how Pats ended gaames , only vivid one is the Cassell IT Pick 6 I think and VB Brady back in to reget the TD , take your word for it

all R unknowns , we are just speculating on what ifs, as said both are 2 great  of the greatest, a lso wonder what if Colts had Brady & Peyton a pat , way to strange evenb to think about, I still think peyton strange in Bronco uniform but not as bad as Unitas in charger powder blue

That it, I have cto go now , enjoy the day, Best to Pats but shouid win even if wr shortage, RUN THEM HATED REXY  JETS OUT OF THE BALLPARK IF NEED BE< U HAVE GREAT POWER RUN GAME< JUST HOLD ONTO BALL

wow a lot of info on the meds, how it works out down the road . . .

yes I imagine it must have been strange to see Johnny U in powder blue back in the day . . 

I guess we will have to differ on the matter . . . I am not sure one would want to have Kap sit behind manning for all of those years and may even outlive his rookie contract . . . Rodgers only sat three years and that was with the home town franchise QB as opposed to a hire gun coming in from out of town . . . SF had two good QBs on the roster before Manning showed up . . . perhaps if manning was willing to play for a year or two, maybe they might of taken him, but he obviously wanted more given this contract in Denver . . .

Things are not as bright as we fans make it out to be and even tho we love our great QBs, there are not the be all and end all . . .

Yeah, I am not sure anyone can say definitively what happened. But the niners were still there in the hunt until Manning announced his decision. I would think that if they were not serious, they would have been the ones to back out first. You may be right that they did not want to offer the 5 year, $100 million deal either. Not sure really. I really think Elway was the biggest factor. It is no secret that Manning has a lot of admiration for the 1983 QBs.

The only thing I would add is that the niners did not know what they had in Kaep until Smith got injured and they were forced to play him. So, I don't think his presence as a second round pick would have deferred them much from wanting Manning. And I think it was obvious they wanted to upgrade over Smith but whether or not that was getting the older vet or the young Qb, who knows. But they had their hat in the ring and Steve Young really thought at one point that Manning was going to be a niner. I remember when he did announce his Denver decision, Steve looked like he was going to cry.

wow a lot of info on the meds, how it works out down the road . . .

yes I imagine it must have been strange to see Johnny U in powder blue back in the day . . 

Wont worry about down the rode for another 25 years , this is 1st 25 in NOV of this year

u just plug away and do what u have to , understand ones limitations and try not to overdo it , sometimes with mom though I must

why? its a story, not a website where its being sold.

I edited back in I showed them link and entire article

Response I got was

--------------------------------------

No,

It's not legal here and I doubt they are using Manning's name with his permission

-------------------------

Maaybe just the link alone is OK but I wasnt told that, 

Great story too me 

I edited back in I showed them link and entire article

Response I got was

--------------------------------------

No,

It's not legal here and I doubt they are using Manning's name with his permission

-------------------------

Maaybe just the link alone is OK but I wasnt told that, 

Great story too me 

Well, I guess what we have now is ok but please now copying and pasting what is in that article.

I'm sure Peyton Manning is not happy about this

Well, I guess what we have now is ok but please now copying and pasting what is in that article.

I'm sure Peyton Manning is not happy about this

I am sure Peyton & Broncos wish this never came to light, they have enough of a tarnished reputation   just with Front Office drunk driving and  Miller's legal troubles  than to have this thrown in. . 

Only thing is as its Peyton, unless u r a stupid kid , I cant believe someone would think this was an endorsement even if its legal in Colorado

I am sure Peyton & Broncos wish this never came to light, they have enough of a tarnished reputation   just with Front Office drunk driving and  Miller's legal troubles  than to have this thrown in. . 

Only thing is as its Peyton, unless u r a stupid kid , I cant believe someone would think this was an endorsement even if its legal in Colorado

I am pretty sure you have to pay him a lot of money for his name and likeness

and this is not inline with the sort of thing he does

bet he makes them cease and desist

I think the NFL and the NFLPA have rules about what players can endorse (ie: shaving products) and what they can't (ie: beer). 

Safe to say that narcotics, even in legalized states, would NOT be on the "OK" list! 

I think the NFL and the NFLPA have rules about what players can endorse (ie: shaving products) and what they can't (ie: beer). 

Safe to say that narcotics, even in legalized states, would NOT be on the "OK" list! 

wishing your pats the best tonight, have a good one and take care, leaving now

One thing that Ive seen that really hasn't been talked about concerning this idea is what Manning did in turning the Colts into a winner when they were a perennial loser. And it wasn't just short term success either, it lasted over 10 seasons with a complete culture change taking place. Before Brady arrived in New England, there was Drew Bledsoe, who directed the Pats to a Super Bowl appearance in 1996 and a few playoff appearances in between. The Patriots were not perennial losers, they were already at a "midpoint" as I like to say in their team building process. Manning came in at the very start and ground level with the Colts.

Not to discredit Bill Polian or the players he brought in during that time, but to me, being able to take a team that didn't have any semblance of a winning culture and turning them into consistent 10 win teams each year puts him in that special category with John Elway, which has all sorts of irony.

One other thing, I still believe Manning chose the Broncos and easily could of chose the 49ers. But Elway understood what it was like to be a 36 year old QB that didn't have much time left. He's living vicariously through Peyton. Theyve gone all in with Peyton, something that I think not every team wanted to do. Lets also not forget that Manning didn't want to play against his brother in the NFC playoffs and ruin the chance for his brother or himself to make it at eithers expense.

One thing that Ive seen that really hasn't been talked about concerning this idea is what Manning did in turning the Colts into a winner when they were a perennial loser. And it wasn't just short term success either, it lasted over 10 seasons with a complete culture change taking place. Before Brady arrived in New England, there was Drew Bledsoe, who directed the Pats to a Super Bowl appearance in 1996 and a few playoff appearances in between. The Patriots were not perennial losers, they were already at a "midpoint" as I like to say in their team building process. Manning came in at the very start and ground level with the Colts.

Not to discredit Bill Polian or the players he brought in during that time, but to me, being able to take a team that didn't have any semblance of a winning culture and turning them into consistent 10 win teams each year puts him in that special category with John Elway, which has all sorts of irony.

One other thing, I still believe Manning chose the Broncos and easily could of chose the 49ers. But Elway understood what it was like to be a 36 year old QB that didn't have much time left. He's living vicariously through Peyton. Theyve gone all in with Peyton, something that I think not every team wanted to do. Lets also not forget that Manning didn't want to play against his brother in the NFC playoffs and ruin the chance for his brother or himself to make it at eithers expense.

On the Pats point, the team was not at a mid-point when Brady took over. In fact, they had suffered through one of the lowest periods in their history when a very green Pete Carroll took over the team in 1997 after Parcells and Belichick left for the Jets.

In the three years that Carrol was HC the team went from AFC champs in 1996 to 10-6 record in 1997 and a divisional round exit to the Kordell Steward led Steelers at home; the team went 9-7 in 1998 and fourth place in the division with a wild card loss to Jags; in 1999 they finished 8-8 and out of the playoffs. 2000 is when Belichick took over and the team went 5-11 its worse record since 1992 when the team went 2-14 with Hugh Millen as the QB. In 2001, the Pats began the season with two losses to the Jets and Bengals (two of the worst teams that season), when Brady took over. Once Brady was inserted the team went 14-3 winning his last 9 games en route to the SB.

I have mentioned this before up here but Michael Holley wrote one of the best football books of all time called "Patriot Reign" which details the Patriots championship years and how Belichick build those champ teams. Here is the editorial description for the book:

"When Bill Belichick arrived in New England, the Patriots were a laughingstock, an organization with a losing record and a roster of overpaid, underperforming players. So how did a head coach with a questionable record transform this team, garner three Lombardi trophies in four years, and -- with the Pats' 2005 Super Bowl win over the Philadelphia Eagles -- cement the team's place as an NFL dynasty?"  http://www.amazon.com/Patriot-Reign-Belichick-Coaches-Champion/dp/B000HWYRGO/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1379245499&sr=8-1&keywords=patriot+reign

Holley spends a couple of chapters detailing the type of mess the Patriots were in when Belichick took over in 2000. Most people think Brady took over a good team because the Pats were in the SB in 1996 but it is a myth. Carroll had bascially signed terrible players and in the process put the team in major cap trouble that Bill had to climb out of. Hence, the 5-13 record before Brady came in.

I'm guessing because it's another one of those things that No-one has done before..??   Correct me if I'm wrong.

Yea i mean it makes for good articles on websites, but Manning will have an easier time winning a SB with that stacked Broncos team than he would have if he stuck on the Colts.

I think that is what Dynasty is kind of pointing at.  Winning with 2 teams is great story material, but I mean if you can choose whichever team you want to go to, you choose the team that is the most setup to win a Super Bowl which is what Manning did. 

They are definitely the favorites this year and its no secret why.

Yea i mean it makes for good articles on websites, but Manning will have an easier time winning a SB with that stacked Broncos team than he would have if he stuck on the Colts.

I think that is what Dynasty is kind of pointing at.  Winning with 2 teams is great story material, but I mean if you can choose whichever team you want to go to, you choose the team that is the most setup to win a Super Bowl which is what Manning did. 

They are definitely the favorites this year and its no secret why.

II understand what you're saying,  however  what team should he have chosen after he was let go...??  A team with the worst possible chance of winning..??  

Winning Super Bowls are NEVER easy, even with stacked teams.     Once again, putting the cart, or in this case, the :lombardi: before the Horse here.   The end of the season is a long way off.

I think he chose Denver because of his affection for Elway which I still don't get. But to each his own.

I disagree, I think he chose Denver because they had a top 3 offensive line in the league and had a top notch receiving core, along with an aggressive defense that plays very well.

The 49ers would have been a more rounded team from the defensive side of the ball, but the Broncos D won them lots of games with Tebow only completing 2 passes.  So in Denver his offensive stats would go way up, in San Fran he would have had a more rounded team and a better defense.

Either way, they were both great teams and its a pretty nice luxury to be able to get to decide which one you want to go to.

Smith was anything but a solid QB which is why he was benched last year despite having a winning record.

Alex Smith wasn't benched, he sustained an injury and was out.  Also his stats were some of the best in the league leading up to his injury last year, just go look them up he was playing lights out until that injury.  Once they went to Kap to fill in, they saw enough there where Smith never got his job back when he came back from the injury, but he wasn't benched because of poor play.

In 12 years time, a Mr A Luck will make Mr Manning and Mr Brady look like Jake Locker. Goat Elect.

It could very well happen, Luck has all the tools and a great head on his shoulders.  Hes a special player and will only get better.  It makes sense why the Colts would tank an entire season to get someone of his caliber ;)

II understand what you're saying,  however  what team should he have chosen after he was let go...??  A team with the worst possible chance of winning..??  

Winning Super Bowls are NEVER easy, even with stacked teams.     Once again, putting the cart, or in this case, the :lombardi: before the Horse here.   The end of the season is a long way off.

I certainly don't blame Manning for choosing the Broncos, it was a very smart choice.  The only other team I think that he would have seriously considered would have been the 49ers, but he couldn't go wrong either way.

I completely agree that winning a Super Bowl is never an easy feat.  It takes everything coming together at the exact same time and a little bit of luck as well with bounces going your way etc.  I think that is what makes football so much more exciting than other sports as well, because there are so few games and opportunities for them to go out there and get it done, so the importance of each game is magnified.

I disagree, I think he chose Denver because they had a top 3 offensive line in the league and had a top notch receiving core, along with an aggressive defense that plays very well.

The 49ers would have been a more rounded team from the defensive side of the ball, but the Broncos D won them lots of games with Tebow only completing 2 passes.  So in Denver his offensive stats would go way up, in San Fran he would have had a more rounded team and a better defense.

Either way, they were both great teams and its a pretty nice luxury to be able to get to decide which one you want to go to.

If Manning went to niners last year, does he lose his first playoff game?

How about his arm? Any issues playing in 60's degrees vs. one of the coldest days in the year last year in Denver?

Lastly, if Manning was on the niners this year, do they lose any games? I say no.

The niners are better than the Broncos. They were last year and they are this year too. The Broncs only look as good as they do offensively because of Manning. Decker is not a good WR. They have no run game unless you count the RBs that fumble for him. And the defense? Not even close to the niners especially with Miller being out.

How about HC? I think Harbaugh is the second or third best HC in the league behind Belichick and may be his brother.

I do agree that Manning got to choose where he wanted to go so I get that argument about the significance of winning champs with two different teams. But I believe he would already have ring #2 and working on #3 if went to the niners.