Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Why Peyton Manning Can Become The G.O.A.T.

Restored

Lets begin this with the preface that QB's in today's world are judged by their playoff success and not the million other factors that equates to greatness.

The first point doubters will try to point at is Peyton Manning's playoff record. Lets begin with a few points. For one, Peyton has lost 4 playoff games when his team has taken the lead in the 4th quarter, with two losses coming after leading IN THE FINAL MINUTE (2010 Jets - 2012 Ravens). Furthermore, Manning's playoff teams are 1-5 when they do not commit a turnover, the rest of the league is 50-5; talk about a string of bad luck. The likes of Billy Volek, Jay Fiedler and Mark Sanchez have been able to come back in the 4th quarter after Manning has taken the lead. Second, Peyton has advanced to the playoffs nearly every year of his career, a feat most QB's would revel. Its easy to point at Drew Brees playoff record or Eli Manning's but Brees for example, has only made the playoffs 5 times in 12 seasons. Your playoff record can be hurt if you're not in them. Peyton's greatness is shown in how he has been able to make the playoffs consistently, even when the team around him hasn't had the talent to get him very far in them.

With that said, Peyton has lead talent-depelted teams to the playoffs a couple of different times. The 2010 Colts, featuring the likes of Justin Tryon and Blair White, managed to win 10 games thanks to Peyton Manning carrying his team enough down the stretch to a playoff berth. If any other QB was the starter that season, I highly doubt the Colts make the playoffs that year. Namely because the following season, with a lot of the the same roster as the year before, the Colts finished 2-14 without Manning. The general consenus is that the 2011 Colts could of won at least 10 games with a healthy Peyton Manning. The 2008 Colts started 3-4 and managed to win 9 straight thanks to another MVP season from Peyton Manning. That team featured a lack luster running game that forced Peyton to carry most of the load.

But the real reason Peyton Manning can be the greatest of all time is simple. If he leads the Broncos to a Super Bowl win this season, he will be the first QB to ever win a Super Bowl with two different teams. He in all likelyhood will own his 5th MVP given his hot start to this season. He is already on pace to own EVERY MAJOR PASSING RECORD in the game and is already on pace to shatter his own and Tom Brady's single season passing records.

• Replies 289
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

peyton can throw 600 tds, but if he continues to not win playoff games then thats gonna be his legacy. blame the lack of talent, blame the lack of defense, blame rahim moore, but at the end of the day when you play qb and you lose playoff games guess whos getting blamed. is it fair? no, but thats how the nfl works.

peyton can throw 600 tds, but if he continues to not win playoff games then thats gonna be his legacy. blame the lack of talent, blame the lack of defense, blame rahim moore, but at the end of the day when you play qb and you lose playoff games guess whos getting blamed. is it fair? no, but thats how the nfl works.

That's true to an extent. Dan Marino never won a Super Bowl but most would say he's a better QB than Terry Bradshaw and Trent Dilfer, who both have more Super Bowl wins than him.

Such a tough topic because we all have different views on what the "greatest" equates to be it wins, rings, stats.  and of all sports... a team sport people want to debate about. i tend to stay away from such debates. but i say if Marino is considered one of the best ever than Peyton needs to be up there too.

That's true to an extent. Dan Marino never won a Super Bowl but most would say he's a better QB than Terry Bradshaw and Trent Dilfer, who both have more Super Bowl wins than him.

I dont think theres another QB thats been one and done in the playoffs more then peyton

I dont think theres another QB thats been one and done in the playoffs more then peyton

If people want to determine that a QB is not/or is the greatest QB of all time by the amount of SB's he wins then they probably are not very well knowledgeable about the game of football

Such a tough topic because we all have different views on what the "greatest" equates to be it wins, rings, stats.  and of all sports... a team sport people want to debate about. i tend to stay away from such debates. but i say if Marino is considered one of the best ever than Peyton needs to be up there too.

I agree with the first part of your post.  It's impossible to objectively determine who is the greatest.  In my opinion, Peyton is the greatest player of all time.  Not just best QB, but best player.  However, I was not alive in 1920s, 30s, 40s, 50s, etc. to know about the players of those days.  I've heard of guys like Sammy Baugh and Don Hutson and I know a bit about their legacy, but I never actually saw them play.  Furthermore, it's impossible to compare guys from different eras and it's even difficult to compare guys from the same era.  How do we know how Peyton would have done if he had Belichick as a coach?  If Philip Rivers was drafted by Pittsburgh, how many rings would he have and how many would Ben have?  What if Rivers was such a good fit in Pittsburgh, that he would have led them to 5 Super Bowls and have the most rings of any player?  What if Brady had a receiving corps that included HOFers in Wayne and Harrison and Dallas Clark in his prime?  Personally, I have my opinion; I respect the opinions of others, but I mostly just try to appreciate how lucky we are to have such great talent playing such a great game right before our eyes.

Lets begin this with the preface that QB's in today's world are judged by their playoff success and not the million other factors that equates to greatness.

The first point doubters will try to point at is Peyton Manning's playoff record. Lets begin with a few points. For one, Peyton has lost 4 playoff games when his team has taken the lead in the 4th quarter, with two losses coming after leading IN THE FINAL MINUTE (2010 Jets - 2012 Ravens). Furthermore, Manning's playoff teams are 1-5 when they do not commit a turnover, the rest of the league is 50-5; talk about a string of bad luck. The likes of Billy Volek, Jay Fiedler and Mark Sanchez have been able to come back in the 4th quarter after Manning has taken the lead. Second, Peyton has advanced to the playoffs nearly every year of his career, a feat most QB's would revel. Its easy to point at Drew Brees playoff record or Eli Manning's but Brees for example, has only made the playoffs 5 times in 12 seasons. Your playoff record can be hurt if you're not in them. Peyton's greatness is shown in how he has been able to make the playoffs consistently, even when the team around him hasn't had the talent to get him very far in them.

With that said, Peyton has lead talent-depelted teams to the playoffs a couple of different times. The 2010 Colts, featuring the likes of Justin Tryon and Blair White, managed to win 10 games thanks to Peyton Manning carrying his team enough down the stretch to a playoff berth. If any other QB was the starter that season, I highly doubt the Colts make the playoffs that year. Namely because the following season, with a lot of the the same roster as the year before, the Colts finished 2-14 without Manning. The general consenus is that the 2011 Colts could of won at least 10 games with a healthy Peyton Manning. The 2008 Colts started 3-4 and managed to win 9 straight thanks to another MVP season from Peyton Manning. That team featured a lack luster running game that forced Peyton to carry most of the load.

But the real reason Peyton Manning can be the greatest of all time is simple. If he leads the Broncos to a Super Bowl win this season, he will be the first QB to ever win a Super Bowl with two different teams. He in all likelyhood will own his 5th MVP given his hot start to this season. He is already on pace to own EVERY MAJOR PASSING RECORD in the game and is already on pace to shatter his own and Tom Brady's single season passing records.

Np question. I recently read and dissected an article about Peyton's playoff losses, specificaly his 0-8 "one and done" games.  Short story, his numbers aren't 0-8 material, they're in the good P.O. QB area.

Clearly, you spend some time & dedication writing this blog restored & the only thing that gives me some hesitation about what you wrote is the part I bolded. SW1 would love to witness that 1st hand more than anything. However, that depends entirely upon Peyton's NFC rival. The 49ers & Seahawks are capable of generating pressure up the middle on the Broncos offensive line where QBs dread it the most & Peyton can't scramble very well. Plus, if 18 makes it to the SB, he will need great pass protection & 4-6 yards per carry to slow down the pass rush & open up the play action pass. 

I love to see a 2nd ring on Manning's finger, but I'd feel a lot better if I knew that neither squad would be facing Peyton personally. 

If people want to determine that a QB is not/or is the greatest QB of all time by the amount of SB's he wins then they probably are not very well knowledgeable about the game of football

Where in that paragraph did I say super bowl

I agree with the first part of your post.  It's impossible to objectively determine who is the greatest.  In my opinion, Peyton is the greatest player of all time.  Not just best QB, but best player.  However, I was not alive in 1920s, 30s, 40s, 50s, etc. to know about the players of those days.  I've heard of guys like Sammy Baugh and Don Hutson and I know a bit about their legacy, but I never actually saw them play.  Furthermore, it's impossible to compare guys from different eras and it's even difficult to compare guys from the same era.  How do we know how Peyton would have done if he had Belichick as a coach?  If Philip Rivers was drafted by Pittsburgh, how many rings would he have and how many would Ben have?  What if Rivers was such a good fit in Pittsburgh, that he would have led them to 5 Super Bowls and have the most rings of any player?  What if Brady had a receiving corps that included HOFers in Wayne and Harrison and Dallas Clark in his prime?  Personally, I have my opinion; I respect the opinions of others, but I mostly just try to appreciate how lucky we are to have such great talent playing such a great game right before our eyes.

I often wondered that myself 21isSuperman or give Peyton the offensive line of the NY Giants. He would have 4 rings easily. Give 18 some massive girth, power, & athleticism upfront & let the Championships rack up or roll in. Well said buddy! Well said.  :thmup:

You wanna know what the ironic thing is....If the Broncos & the Niners get to the SB & San Francisco wins, 21isSuperman who believed that Peyton should have signed with the 49ers vs Denver will look like a genius.

Not a criticism just an observation...In the interest of full disclosure, SW1 was happy to see Manning sign with Denver & I will maintain my stance regardless of what unfolds this year.

I am merely pointing out that I do not hide from my original predictions & if 21isSuperman is proven correct...I will congratulate him on that wise & keen insight.  ;)

You wanna know what the ironic thing is....If the Broncos & the Niners get to the SB & San Francisco wins, 21isSuperman who believed that Peyton should have signed with the 49ers vs Denver will look like a genius.

Not a criticism just an observation...In the interest of full disclosure, SW1 was happy to see Manning sign with Denver & I will maintain my stance regardless of what unfolds this year.

I am merely pointing out that I do not hide from my original predictions & if 21isSuperman is proven correct...I will congratulate him on that wise & keen insight.  ;)

Peyton Manning was never going to sign on to be coached by Jim Harbaugh...who would not have let him run the offense he ran in Indy..

The Manning- Harbaugh thing is a connection WE make..because they both played for the Colts.....I don't think its one that exists

What is unsaid about Peyton signing with Denver..because it doesn't have to be said..

Is the man who signed him

John Elway..who was considered a great regular season player but a playoff loser..

until he won back-to-back titles his final 2 years in the league.

If the thought of legacy ever comes up...only Elway knows how Manning feels..

Peyton Manning was never going to sign on to be coached by Jim Harbaugh...who would not have let him run the offense he ran in Indy..

The Manning- Harbaugh thing is a connection WE make..because they both played for the Colts.....I don't think its one that exists

What is unsaid about Peyton signing with Denver..because it doesn't have to be said..

Is the man who signed him

John Elway..who was considered a great regular season player but a playoff loser..

until he won back-to-back titles his final 2 years in the league.

If the thought of legacy ever comes up...only Elway knows how Manning feels..

I agree OUM, the Harbaugh/Manning relationship would have never worked. 2 men who demand offensive control is a dangerous combination.

John Elway's early SB losses had more to do with HC Dan Reeves than anything else. Once Reeves was fired & Mike Shanahan & Terrelle Davis were added, John won back to back Championships. 

True, John knows both the QB side & the business side of things, but SW1 always wonders what do Manning & Elway talk about more? On the field mental toughness stuff or moving guys up from the practice squad? 

Clearly, you spend some time & dedication writing this blog restored & the only thing that gives me some hesitation about what you wrote is the part I bolded. SW1 would love to witness that 1st hand more than anything. However, that depends entirely upon Peyton's NFC rival. The 49ers & Seahawks are capable of generating pressure up the middle on the Broncos offensive line where QBs dread it the most & Peyton can't scramble very well. Plus, if 18 makes it to the SB, he will need great pass protection & 4-6 yards per carry to slow down the pass rush & open up the play action pass.

I love to see a 2nd ring on Manning's finger, but I'd feel a lot better if I knew that neither squad would be facing Peyton personally.

I completely agree. A more favorable matchup would be Atlanta. Lets also not forget that it will most likely be a cold weather game as well. Who knows how the Broncos will be playing at that point by then. But id like to assume that if they get all the way there, they won't lose even if they are out matched on paper. Heck look at the 1997 Broncos against Green Bay. Or the 2007 Giants, or dare I say it, last years Ravens team.

If the Broncos roll into the SB on a huge momentum/destiney type run, I expect everything you listed for them to win (running game and pass protection) to happen.

I love this post. Let me tell you wht Peyton can be the GOAT but first let me explain away all his playoff losses. lol.

You can't subjugate the data to fit your argument. A player, any player is judged on his entire career. Peyton has had a great career but right now he is nowhere close to GOAT and even another ring would not vault him to the best.

I love this post. Let me tell you wht Peyton can be the GOAT but first let me explain away all his playoff losses. lol.

You can't subjugate the data to fit your argument. A player, any player is judged on his entire career. Peyton has had a great career but right now he is nowhere close to GOAT and even another ring would not vault him to the best.

And in his entire career, he's out performed every single one of his peers statstically including the guy in your avatar. His playoff stats dont reflect that of a player who has his record. its a team game. I bring up his playoff loss record and the stats behind them because all people see is the 9-11 mark and don't realize there's a whole lot more behind it. As I said, there are QBs that have a better record primarily because they aren't in the playoffs every like Peyton and havent had their defense and or special teams collapse the way his teams has. Peyton in a couple of different years carried the team by himself to a playoff berth when in reality, they weren't a playoff team to begin with.

Another ring would vault him to the greatest ever. Montana couldn't take another team to the Super Bowl (who in many eyes is the GOAT currently). Unitas never did. The closet one was Kurt Warner with the Rams and Cardinals. Peyton would be the only one to ever do it and will be in the "multiple championships" category everyone seems to deem necessary to be an all-time great.

This topic always annoys me cause everyone always says Peyton isn't the best because of his playoff record and only has 1 Super Bowl I see no reason at all to judge who is the best QB by wins and rings first of all it takes a team to Winn and to get rings just Peyton can't do that and many years he had a bad o line and not that great a run game IMO he is hands down the GOAT no doubt about it

Peytons reaction to the 7th TD say us all about his mindset and what he cares about, no time to make a post out of this as leaving   , Read short story on what he did after getting the 7th TD , 

Seven touchdown passes. The most in his 16-year career, and the most in an NFL game since the AFL-NFL merger. “You’re just sitting there like, ‘That was seven?’ Because he goes so nonchalantly about it,’’ said a man seeing it up close for the first time, Wes Welker. To celebrate, Manning went to the Denver sideline, took a few way-to-gos from happy teammates, then found offensive coordinator Adam Gase next to the Broncos’ bench area.

The pictures. Peyton Manning wanted to see the pictures—what the Baltimore defense had shown on the short series, how his line had blocked it, and what had made the hole for Thomas so big so fast. It was 49-27 very late in the fourth quarter, and Peyton Manning wanted to see the pictures.

http://mmqb.si.com/2013/09/06/manning-in-full/

((  SB  are team records  )))   his teams failed him SW1 know how u feel, just for those in general for the 3rd time in tese recent threads  ,

Read if u want, I have no more time to rehash this, many an errand , taping colt game and will watch later, need to prepare mom for 2 Drs Mond & Tues , wheel chair vans arrangements to confirm, staff at assisted living to further consult, and my own DR appointments this week , much yearly paperwork suddenly needed for each as well to update there records etc  etc, 

From one article below those that see his record  simply as a  won / loss point of view are using Lazy analysis

In the eight one-and-done games in particular

Excerpts / review  of MHR article , it has more and later 2 have most

The staggering number of drops (over 30 in the equivalent of half a season) and tipped-ball interceptions do QB numbers little justice. One loss was by 41 points (( early in carer to jjets )), and the other seven by 26 points combined.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

If that is not bizarre enough, there is the fact that even when Manning and his entire offense avoids turnovers, he still loses at a most historic rate.

• In the regular season Manning's teams are 40-2 (.952) when they have zero giveaways on offense. That is the best record in the league since 1998.
  • In the playoffs Manning's Colts were 1-5 (.167) when they had zero giveaways on offense. The rest of the league is 50-5 (.909), and that even includes two games where neither team had a giveaway.

When your defense allows a fourth-quarter comeback 60 percent of the time (6-4), you have a real problem. It is one thing to let Drew Brees do it, but when it's Jay Fiedler, Billy Volek, Mark Sanchez and Joe Flacco? That is completely unacceptable.

Manning's had a lead in the final 0:40 of the fourth quarter and lost four playoff games.

The only four times Manning's teams have held off comeback attempts, they led to three straight wins and a Super Bowl in 2006, and a Super Bowl appearance in 2009 after holding off the Jets.

http://www.milehighreport.com/2013/7/23/4548270/peyton-manning-physical-v-mental

Main articles taken from

2013 9 & 11 analyzed , has moving Pictures, short videos to help with points is makes

details each playoff loss of 1 & done

ends with

throw in the ridiculous bad luck Manning has suffered through, and only then does 9-11 start to make some sense.

So 9-11 is not an accident for Manning. It’s a misfortune of unbelievable events, and it’s a call for help in what is proven to be the ultimate team game.\

http://www.coldhardfootballfacts.com/content/peyton-mannings-9-11-playoff-record-is-call-for-help/20868/

========================================

ARTICLE 2 , same site 2012 ( 9 & 10 record ), also details each game presented a bit differently

What’s a lost comeback? It’s a game where the quarterback met all the requirements for a fourth quarter comeback, except the team still lost the game because they lost the lead again. Manning had lost comebacks against the 2007 Chargers and 2010 Jets, which may very well end up being his final game and drive for the Colts.

That was significant, because it is yet another “record” for Manning in the playoffs. Out of the 101 games won with a fourth quarter comeback, there were 34 of them where each team took the lead at least once in the final quarter. That means there are 34 lost comebacks in playoff history. It’s happened to a lot of the greatest quarterbacks once. But it’s only happened to one quarterback twice.

Peyton Manning is the only quarterback in NFL history with two lost comebacks in the playoffs.

That’s two wasted efforts the Colts had at home, and against one offense led by Billy Volek, and then after allowing that big return to Cromartie in the final minute against the Jets.

Lazy analysis

The 9-10 record is just the latest crutch for those who would rather not analyze what actually happened in the games. How will perception ever lose if reality is never even given a chance?

I didn’t spend 5,000 words talking about what should have happened for Manning’s Colts in the playoffs, what would have happened, and what could have happened if things went differently.

I talked about the facts of what did happen. I looked at what Manning did, along with what his teammates and the opponent did in those games. Now what’s stopping anyone else from doing the same?

It’s only when you put it all together that 9-10 makes sense. If you’re just looking at the quarterback, 9-10 shouldn’t even be on your mind. That’s just being lazy.

This topic always annoys me cause everyone always says Peyton isn't the best because of his playoff record and only has 1 Super Bowl I see no reason at all to judge who is the best QB by wins and rings first of all it takes a team to Winn and to get rings just Peyton can't do that and many years he had a bad o line and not that great a run game IMO he is hands down the GOAT no doubt about it

please read my comment just posted # 23 defending that record with stats and links, enjoy todays game, must go 

Np question. I recently read and dissected an article about Peyton's playoff losses, specificaly his 0-8 "one and done" games.  Short story, his numbers aren't 0-8 material, they're in the good P.O. QB area.

just reposted those links & exccerpts in comment 23

Thanks for you analysis good too see some one take the time to look at things good luck with everything going on

I have that saved on my computer for each time this comes up, it just always comes up, ( & unfortunately always will )

OK said it a few times , NOW MUST GO

And in his entire career, he's out performed every single one of his peers statstically including the guy in your avatar. His playoff stats dont reflect that of a player who has his record. its a team game. I bring up his playoff loss record and the stats behind them because all people see is the 9-11 mark and don't realize there's a whole lot more behind it. As I said, there are QBs that have a better record primarily because they aren't in the playoffs every like Peyton and havent had their defense and or special teams collapse the way his teams has. Peyton in a couple of different years carried the team by himself to a playoff berth when in reality, they weren't a playoff team to begin with.

Another ring would vault him to the greatest ever. Montana couldn't take another team to the Super Bowl (who in many eyes is the GOAT currently). Unitas never did. The closet one was Kurt Warner with the Rams and Cardinals. Peyton would be the only one to ever do it and will be in the "multiple championships" category everyone seems to deem necessary to be an all-time great.

No he doesn't.

This is a tiresome argument. Peyton is only the GOAT amongst us Colts fans, and thats fine. The rest of the world simply wont view it our way. 

Statistically, Brady and Manning are neck in neck, and in my opinion, the tie goes to Brady.

Peyton On a Per Game Basis(Brady in parenthesis): Yards: 266(256) TDs: 1.9 (1.9) INTs: .9 (.7).....So Peyton Avgs 10more yards a game, Brady less INTs......Thats what the Stats say.

Offensively for career, I dont think its unfair to say Peyton had a clear advantage in personnel. 

Coaching- Brady gets the nod. Peyton had Dungy for awhile, but Bill B is the clear club house leader.

Team- Toss up....Brady had good Def early, good Off late. Peyton had an O his entire time, and a hit and miss D.

Other Factors: Goes to Brady. Plays outside 95% of the time, in some pretty brutal condiditions. Tougher division? Maybe. 

Long story short: Brady had a better team, Peyton a better O, stats are the same, Brady had a better HC, Peyton had an easier 'road', Brady has been to 5 SBs, Peyton 2.....Its pretty cut and dry that its Brady.  

Unfortunately, the only way Manning becomes ahead of Brady (not even the GOAT), is if he wins at least 1 SB with Denver.  I even think he may need to win 2 with them.  However, some things could cancel out not winning a 2nd one.  He has to take back the Passing TD record. Peyton is the "stats" guy.  For him to not have the record is a dark mark on his legacy.  He also needs to overtake Favre in all of the Career passing records. ALL of the "stats" arguments need to be in his favor.

The ONLY way Manning gets put in the GOAT conversation (by anyone but us Colts fans) is if he wins 2 SB's.  Or, if in a single SB run, the Broncos go undefeated.  That, on top of getting all the aforementioned records, is the only way for Manning to solidify himself as the best ever.  Even then, there will be the people who point out his MANY playoff failures (regardless of circumstance).

Between Errands,

I agree with 21 Super duper  man, But when u have a wife thats hates media , hides having babies twins etc, u dont want to live in that market, plus he wouldn't have freedom of control as much with 49;rs and finally he connected with Elway as QB entering later years and winning , Hes a southerrn / midwest boy and likes Denver SB be darned, u chave to choose too where u want to live, thats what they told us when leaving med school, dont go for money araes , go f to wherre u will be happy

PS lets not forget Peyton stared with H Jim ( Playoff ) Mora as HC too

FINALLY Its been said by so called experts that if those early playoff games for AFC champ[ionships were held at RCA dome and not at Pats stadium , Colts would have won and got more superbowls & not Pats & Brady, conjecture on part of so called media experts

great names and Peyton acknowledges them

No he doesn't.

This is a tiresome argument. Peyton is only the GOAT amongst us Colts fans, and thats fine. The rest of the world simply wont view it our way. 

Statistically, Brady and Manning are neck in neck, and in my opinion, the tie goes to Brady.

Peyton On a Per Game Basis(Brady in parenthesis): Yards: 266(256) TDs: 1.9 (1.9) INTs: .9 (.7).....So Peyton Avgs 10more yards a game, Brady less INTs......Thats what the Stats say.

Offensively for career, I dont think its unfair to say Peyton had a clear advantage in personnel. 

Coaching- Brady gets the nod. Peyton had Dungy for awhile, but Bill B is the clear club house leader.

Team- Toss up....Brady had good Def early, good Off late. Peyton had an O his entire time, and a hit and miss D.

Other Factors: Goes to Brady. Plays outside 95% of the time, in some pretty brutal condiditions. Tougher division? Maybe. 

Long story short: Brady had a better team, Peyton a better O, stats are the same, Brady had a better HC, Peyton had an easier 'road', Brady has been to 5 SBs, Peyton 2.....Its pretty cut and dry that its Brady.  

only time peyton went to win superbowl was only time team was health aat yaer end, again why let freney get huirt Vs jets with 2 minutes left and win in hand when u pulled starters for 2 games to avoid injury

effective first half , but after long rest hardly could use that ankle to pressure Brees  

Running Off again , will revisit if can

True, My point was I dont think wins and losses should be as huge a factor as it is in determining greatest of all time and that includes SB's and playoff record

from a QB standpoint, peyton is the g.o.a.t. everything peyton does from a qb standpoint is art, but from a winning standpoint people will talk about joe montana and tom brady before peyton

from a QB standpoint, peyton is the g.o.a.t. everything peyton does from a qb standpoint is art, but from a winning standpoint people will talk about joe montana and tom brady before peyton

I try not to get into the GOAT debate, sometimes I get pulled in(cause sometimes ya just cant help it, its an itch ya just have to scratch). He is a special player who dont come around often in the grand scheme of all things football related often, Ill say that., I more often then not just enjoy the game and my team instead of, well this player is the greatest of all time....no this player is the greatest of all time, Its a never ending debate where you can make a case for other QB's to depending on what you value in a QB

Posted · Hidden by Nadine, September 8, 2013 - personal shot
Hidden by Nadine, September 8, 2013 - personal shot

Troll

I am just curious as to what people would say if we didn't lose Super Bowl XLVI? Peyton still wouldn't have a winning playoff record.

He is already the consensus "greatest regular season quarterback " Which let's be honest is a backhanded comment than a compliment for trolls. So if he wins another Super Bowl he is the "greatest regular season QB" plus a multiple Super Bowl winning quarterback  a feat only achieved by a few quarterbacks.

So by the time of retirement; greatest regular season quarterback, most MVPs, ever NFL passing record (Brett can keep the INTs), and a multiple championship quarterback  Only one other QB has those credentials, and us Colts fans do not have to look far, Johnny Unitas. Johnny is THE quarterback of all quarterbacks, and is only a victim of time. No way you can argue against Peyton.

I am just curious as to what people would say if we didn't lose Super Bowl XLVI? Peyton still wouldn't have a winning playoff record.

He is already the consensus "greatest regular season quarterback " Which let's be honest is a backhanded comment than a compliment for trolls. So if he wins another Super Bowl he is the "greatest regular season QB" plus a multiple Super Bowl winning quarterback  a feat only achieved by a few quarterbacks.

So by the time of retirement; greatest regular season quarterback, most MVPs, ever NFL passing record (Brett can keep the INTs), and a multiple championship quarterback  Only one other QB has those credentials, and us Colts fans do not have to look far, Johnny Unitas. Johnny is THE quarterback of all quarterbacks, and is only a victim of time. No way you can argue against Peyton.

On the other side of the coin is what if 2 miracle passes werent completed against the Pats. Your talking 5SBs and an undefeated season...At which point there is zero discussion.... 

Ay ay ay. Haven't we had enough of this argument already? No matter what anyone says, no matter what excuses are made about the overall team and playoff record, people will be dead set on saying Brady, Montana, Marino, Manning, everyone is going to have a different opinion and no one is going to convince anyone else otherwise. Even if Manning does win another Super Bowl....he is still behind his greatest rival, Tom Brady, whose craft and drive to win are huge reasons of his winning, not just his "better" team as some would argue.