Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Why Peyton Manning Can Become The G.O.A.T.

Restored

And I love everything about this post.

Why? Because it's quite possibly one of the worst I've ever seen on this forum. You go from making a great point about subjugating data to fit an argument, and directly follow it up by drawing a horrible, horrible conclusion. Peyton Manning is incredible..and your consistent homerism and bias causes you to to lose any credibility, especially here on a Colts forum.

There is nothing wrong with being objective. Not every discussion has to turn into what you always turn it into. The success of one quarterback doesnt at all take away from the success of another. Praising one quarterback doesnt undermine another's accomplishments. I'll never understand why we cant just admire and love this era of football...as both Colts fans and Patriots fans...not only because of the play of our quarterbacks over the last decade and what we as fans were given the privelage of watching, but this is probably the best bunch of years either of our fanbases will ever see. The rivalry was terrific, and I have loved to see how over the last few years the interaction between our fanbases has turned from true hate to that of a mutual respect and admiration for what the other has done. 

Colts fans will always think Peyton is the greatest of all time, Patriots fans will always think Brady is the greatest of all time. History will judge it as they always have, and there still wont be a true answer. These 'lists' and 'rankings' have changed every year based on what each guy did that given year...and as you said, the entirety of their careers will be taken into consideration in the end....so how can you be so sure that 'the next accomplishment' for one wont be enough to tip the scales?

Nicely written reply here Dynasty13.

I guess I always ask myself if you put another uniform on Brady would he still be successful? Absolutely. Manning went from blue to Orange Crush & didn't miss a beat. Ho hum...Just another day at the office. If a QB is talented, elite, & HOF caliber SW1 doesn't give a darn who they play for, I will acknowledge it & sing their praises when they earn it.

That's how I roll: Talent matters; team colors don't even on the dreaded Dallas Cowboys. SW1 prides myself on being fair or at least striving for that plateau anyway. 

• Replies 289
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Laugh till your hearts content, already said this already defended this, or u just dont remember

if not d for   Danny T mistake & Ravens getting the quick RD, basically a 14 point turnaround would be different ending (( & now Woodward cant even practice on the abkle he hurt trying to recover Dany T fumble )) , before that TD they tried and went 3 & out with 3 straight Runs just like in playoff, so didnt go for more points but run out clock, then they did 2 straight tuns and no work, u cant actually think he was r trying for a 78 yards screen TD, no one is that naive , merely r tried tio get a first down and run the clock out , after TD maning suprised and wanted to see pictures of what happened and nothing else, as posted elswhere with link 

And never amazes me the excuses for 18 up here but again all you have to do is read the OP.

Manning is my G.O.A.T., but to have less people questioning that overrall, he needs to win a Superbowl with the Broncos to solidify that opinion with everybody else. He'd be the only one to win a superbowl with 2 teams if that happened. Legacy is something that players shouldn't care about but they do. It's also a way to bring pressure to a player so that they'll possibly falter, like how people do Lebron James. Let them make their legacy first. Overally, it's just a distraction.

Lol. Peyton has racked up points his whole career. This past Thursday being the perfect example with his 7 TD performance with many here wishing he went for 8 and the record. Why?

And you don't know much about the Pats and BB's history. Unlike the Colts, he does not pull his starters to rest them or for fear of injury, he plays them because it is football. He has been that way his whole coaching career. His motto is: football players play football. In the end, it is the defenses job to stop the O. No such thing as garbage time just garbage teams.

Since you want to make it Brady v. Manning

Peyton's average win is only a little over 12 points. While Brady's is over 15 points per game.

Also Peyton only outscored his opponent by more than a score in 82 games, while Brady has done it in 84. Or Tom has outscored his opponent by more than a score in 61% of his games while Peyton has done it in only 52%.

Since you want to make it Brady v. Manning

Peyton's average win is only a little over 12 points. While Brady's is over 15 points per game.

Also Peyton only outscored his opponent by more than a score in 82 games, while Brady has done it in 84. Or Tom has outscored his opponent by a score or more in 61% of his games while Peyton has done it in only 52%.

I didn't make anything. I never mentioned Brady until another poster brough him up.

But give your stats, It is obvious, isn't it? Brady is just better. Don't kill me. I am joking. :D   All those stats indicate is that the two score a ton of points all the time with a slight edge to Brady most likely because his D was better in his early years than Peyton's. 

1.  I have known Dynasty for a long time dating back to previous boards.  He, along with GoPats, have been two of my favorite Patriot fans for many years. 

2.  It was you who said you hated the Colts.  Would you like me to dig up the post for you?

THAT GUY????  ;)

Thank you shecolt. We've been around huh?  :thmup:

It's been a while since we had our last GOAT thread. I can't say a lot has changed since that time. Both Manning and Brady are still at it, and both appear to be playing at the top of their games despite their ages. I've always taken the approach that you really have to finish the book before you can say it's the best one you've ever read.

Thursday's performance by Peyton was (obviously) one for the ages. He's got that offense humming. By contrast, Brady looked like he was wearing someone else's cleats on Sunday. But he did enough for them to win. It'll be interesting to see how the season plays out. This is all eerily reminiscent of the early 2000s, when Brady had relatively unknown targets and the Colts' offense was loaded. Only now the Patriots don't have a proven defense as the team's backbone.

All that said... it was one week of NFL action. Let's not overreact either way, good or bad. There will probably never be a consensus GOAT, unless a guy comes along and chalks up a few MVPs while winning Super Bowls along the way. Every player's legacy is unique. 

1.  I have known Dynasty for a long time dating back to previous boards.  He, along with GoPats, have been two of my favorite Patriot fans for many years. 

Awwwww. :kitty:

I respect both shecolt & amfootball as bloggers on this site & I mean no ill will here at all...But this response did make me LOL though. Thanks for making Monday almost bearable.  haha

And never amazes me the excuses for 18 up here but again all you have to do is read the OP.

Read my comment # 23 , as the author says, u r using  Lazy analysis

& your comment # 42 backs it aall up, its a TEAM game , especially  for  postseason, cant find # 42 I will repeat it

you said 

So you believe stats are achieved alone? I am pretty sure Manning does not throw to himself or block for himself. And Manning has not had one season statsitically as good as Brady's two best (2007, 2011). Your opinion on the latter throwing in 2011 too

BTW Brady's best game is in 2009  saYs unbiased article just came out putting it at # 2 best game of all time, # 3 was Manning's 7 td one & Ya Tittles 7 td was best , here is link , I can give credit where its do , all i have ever done is praise Brady

# 4 Bress, (( against 09 Pats ) 5 Fouts

Title played the Redskins, Brady the titans, Brees the Pats, wonder what he would say if included level of opponent too done against

Where Does Peyton's 7-TD Game Rank Among Greatest QB Performances of All Time? 

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1763839-where-does-peytons-7-td-game-rank-amongst-greatest-qb-performances-of-all-time

Read my comment # 23 , as the author says, u r using  Lazy analysis

& your comment # 42 backs it aall up, its a TEAM game , especially  for  postseason, cant find # 42 I will repeat it

you said 

So you believe stats are achieved alone? I am pretty sure Manning does not throw to himself or block for himself. And Manning has not had one season statsitically as good as Brady's two best (2007, 2011). Your opinion on the latter throwing in 2011 too

BTW Brady's best game is in 2009  saYs unbiased article just came out putting it at # 2 best game of all time, # 3 was Manning's 7 td one & Ya Tittles 7 td was best , here is link , I can give credit where its do , all i have ever done is praise Brady

# 4 Bress, (( against 09 Pats ) 5 Fouts

Title played the Redskins, Brady the titans, Brees the Pats, wonder what he would say if included level of opponent too done against

Where Does Peyton's 7-TD Game Rank Among Greatest QB Performances of All Time? 

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1763839-where-does-peytons-7-td-game-rank-amongst-greatest-qb-performances-of-all-time

I am sorry man, I didn't understand the jist of your post. I think all these numbers are making my head spin. :mindblow:

As I have said I think Brady and Manning are 1 and 1a in a team game. Wins and stats are team driven but the QB is the one at the helm so that is the way it rolls. In terms of all time? Who knows. All any player can is the best of his generation and then everything else is up for debate.

I am sorry man, I didn't understand the jist of your post. I think all these numbers are making my head spin. :mindblow:

As I have said I think Brady and Manning are 1 and 1a in a team game. Wins and stats are team driven but the QB is the one at the helm so that is the way it rolls. In terms of all time? Who knows. All any player can is the best of his generation and then everything else is up for debate.

all #'s do make head spin, that we agree on,

cant belive doing this as writing 3 different Drs , more importantly than all, MOMs yearly breathing tests this am showed only a slight decrease in force of air flow, thats ok with her COPD and at age  95 , rest of tests no change & lungs are good , Noiw thats what matters in life ,. this is a week of varying tests for her and for me so I am, quite emotional with ups and downs esp as Vertigo of late has hit me hard and trying to read and type between vertigo   attacks and all is just as hairy as a big foot

U know what really hard, watching a pass and in flight of a deep throw suddenly getting a vertigo attack , happened Thought at first the ball was battered back wood then heard was a TD and put on DVR and just layed down with ice pack & eyes closed for 40 minutes till passed

lol. Pretty sure Manning threw plenty of TDs in garbage timein 2004 to ensure he got the record as well. That is the pot calling the kettle black I think. I mean did he really need all those record tying TDs on Thursday against the Ravens? I rest my case.

To be honest, I am surprised there is this much debate about 2007 which is widely considered the best season any QB has put up. It is not just the 50 TDs to 8 picks which is mind boggling on its own but the Pats O was historic in terms of points scored and points differential. I have to look up the stat but I believe they scored a TD on 50 percent of all of its possessions. I am not saying Manning's 2004 is not great. It was. Just not equal to 2007.

We can quibble about 2011 but 36 TDs to 4 picks (setting the record for most attempts without a pick) earned Brady the one and only unanimous MVP.

how many snaps did your backup qb play in 07? Peyton sat out a bunch in 04

how many snaps did your backup qb play in 07? Peyton sat out a bunch in 04

More than any other year that I can think of. Brady came out of most games with about five minutes to go in the fourth. I would not doubt that Manning sat more because the two orgs have a major difference in football philosophy. Bill believes in playing his starters every game pretty much until the end even in blow outs. His belief is football players play.

I remember many fans were upset that Brady was staying in as long as he was and Bill said that he wanted the team to know that it will take 60 minutes to win the trophy once the playoffs came around. He could not have been more right as the Pats had a 60 minute game vs the Chargers in the AFC game and then the SB. I believe the Pats had the number one seed locked up by week 14 but Bill kept right on playing his starters unlike the Colts in 2009. That is what I love about him to be honest. As much as it stunk to lose the SB, I love that season for the 18-0. It was breath taking to witness and I would have felt cheated if he sat the guys at 14-0. I remember feeling bad for Peyton during that Jets game with his helmet on and all. He should have had a chance to finish the perfect regular season which I have no doubt he would have with the second half of the Jets and the Bills remaining.

More than any other year that I can think of. Brady came out of most games with about five minutes to go in the fourth. I would not doubt that Manning sat more because the two orgs have a major difference in football philosophy. Bill believes in playing his starters every game pretty much until the end even in blow outs. His belief is football players play.

I remember many fans were upset that Brady was staying in as long as he was and Bill said that he wanted the team to know that it will take 60 minutes to win the trophy once the playoffs came around. He could not have been more right as the Pats had a 60 minute game vs the Chargers in the AFC game and then the SB. I believe the Pats had the number one seed locked up by week 14 but Bill kept right on playing his starters unlike the Colts in 2009. That is what I love about him to be honest. As much as it stunk to lose the SB, I love that season for the 18-0. It was breath taking to witness and I would have felt cheated if he sat the guys at 14-0. I remember feeling bad for Peyton during that Jets game with his helmet on and all. He should have had a chance to finish the perfect regular season which I have no doubt he would have with the second half of the Jets and the Bills remaining.

brady had 1 more td in 81 more attempts

He also had two less picks in 81 more attempts and he did not have Edgerrin James giving him 1,500+ yards either. He had Maroney as his leading rusher at 800+ yards.

manning had zero oline pro bowlers abd saturday was hurt a few times that season as well. How many pro bowl olinemen did brady have? Also brady had four lost fumbles. Last i checked those are as bad as interceptions

manning had zero oline pro bowlers abd saturday was hurt a few times that season as well. How many pro bowl olinemen did brady have? Also brady had four lost fumbles. Last i checked those are as bad as interceptions

We can go back and forth all day. The 2007 Pats were historic in every sense of the word - points scored, point differential, TD passes by a QB, TD receptions by a WR, 16-0 regular season. Even SI named them the team of the decade despite the fact that they did not win the SB.

We can go back and forth all day. The 2007 Pats were historic in every sense of the word - points scored, point differential, TD passes by a QB, TD receptions by a WR, 16-0 regular season. Even SI named them the team of the decade despite the fact that they did not win the SB.

what does any of that have to,do with Manning having a better year in 2004

This topic always annoys me cause everyone always says Peyton isn't the best because of his playoff record and only has 1 Super Bowl I see no reason at all to judge who is the best QB by wins and rings first of all it takes a team to Winn and to get rings just Peyton can't do that and many years he had a bad o line and not that great a run game IMO he is hands down the GOAT no doubt about it

The who endless debate about who is the "Greatest of all time" is just non sense anyways.  There is  no such thing as the "GOAT," except from peoples opinions on the matter.  You will never get a 100% consensus vote on who the best ever was.  

More realistically, there is a top tier of "greatest of all time" QBs that could all be considered or mentioned in the argument.  People will debate until the end of time who the GOAT is.  Manning is certainly in that debate, but to say he is "hands down the greatest of all time, no doubt about it" is ludicrous.  That is just your opinion, a very biased opinion at that.  You could get a bunch of football fanatics around a round table and debate for years without stopping about why X, Y or Z should be the GOAT.

who had the better passer rating?

Hurts doesn't it? I remember 2007 and the fact that up until then Brady was the guy that managed the game and benefied from his good defense and then bang the Pats get him Moss and Welker and he lights the record books on fire besting Manning's best effort in 2004. lol.  Of course, I remember how 2004 ended with Manning losing to Brady ...again.

Hurts doesn't it? I remember 2007 and the fact that up until then Brady was the guy that managed the game and benefied from his good defense and then bang the Pats get him Moss and Welker and he lights the record books on fire besting Manning's best effort in 2004. lol. Of course, I remember how 2004 ended with Manning losing to Brady ...again.

Hurts doesn't it? I remember 2007 and the fact that up until then Brady was the guy that managed the game and benefied from his good defense and then bang the Pats get him Moss and Welker and he lights the record books on fire besting Manning's best effort in 2004. lol. Of course, I remember how 2004 ended with Manning losing to Brady ...again.

What is Brady against Manning now? 9-4? 10-4? He went to Denver to see if he could get a better team to contend and same old story. Heads to Foxborough and loses by 10. Managed just 3 points and had a 37 passer rating in 2004. It had to be the fastest fall from a record setting season to the biggest thump in the playoffs. 

What is Brady against Manning now? 9-4? 10-4? He went to Denver to see if he could get a better team to contend and same old story. Heads to Foxborough and loses by 10. Managed just 3 points and had a 37 passer rating in 2004. It had to be the fastest fall from a record setting season to the biggest thump in the playoffs.

way to avoid answering a very simple question

way to avoid answering a very simple question

lol. I think the topper might be younger bro. Eli winning 2 rings is bad enough as he is not one quarter the QB as Peyton but to beat the Pats both times? Man oh man. I heard after the second win, Archie took his pic of Peyton out of his wallet and put one in of Eli. First time Eli was ever in his wallet.  Now come on. That is funny. :D

lol. I think the topper might be younger bro. Eli winning 2 rings is bad enough as he is not one quarter the QB as Peyton but to beat the Pats both times? Man oh man. I heard after the second win, Archie took his pic of Peyton out of his wallet and put one in of Eli. First time Eli was ever in his wallet. Now come on. That is funny. :D

nice deflection

Someone should make a trophy and hang a banner in the stadium for his slightly better passer rating that is a made up algorithym that has been criticized endlessly throughout the years because no one seems to quite understand how it works lol..   So yea, Manning had the better "Passer Rating."  Guess you win that argument hands down!  GOAT of the passer rating!

Someone should make a trophy and hang a banner in the stadium for his slightly better passer rating that is a made up algorithym that has been criticized endlessly throughout the years because no one seems to quite understand how it works lol.. So yea, Manning had the better "Passer Rating." Guess you win that argument hands down! GOAT of the passer rating!

sweet thanks

sweet thanks

np, but guess i feel obligated now to throw out some other records that Tom Terrific holds:

- 2 Super Bowl MVPs

- 2 NFL MVPS

- In 2010, became the first player ever to be unanimously selected as the MVP.

- 8 Pro Bowls

- 17-7 in the playoffs.. the highest playoff win total in NFL history

- Longest winning streak in NFL history at 21

- Only undefeated regular season since the institution of the 16 game schedule.

- 3rd highest career passer rating in NFL history

- 1st QB to lead his team to 10 division titles in NFL history

- Brady and Montana are the only players in NFL history to win the NFL MVP and Super Bowl MVP multiple times

- Most passing touchdowns in NFL history for a single season

- Brady and Elway remain the only players in NFL history to lead their teams to 5 Super Bowl appearances

- The first NFL player to be awarded the Male Athlete of the Year award since Joe Montana

- 2010 was rated Best Player in the NFL

- He & Belichick won 125 regular season games and 17 playoff games, as well as appearing in 5 Super Bowls... all NFL records

- Lead the highest scoring offense in NFL history

- Fastest QB to reach 100 wins in NFL history

- NFL record for pass-interception differential at 42

- Highest single-game post season completion percentage in NFL history at 92.9%

- Most pass attempts in a Super Bowl in NFL history

- Most pass attempts in a Super Bowl without throwing an interception in NFL history

- Most completions in Super Bowl games in NFL history with 100

- Has a chance this year to break Drew Brees' consecutive touchdown streak

- Married to Gisele Bunschen

- Hes Tom *mod edit* Brady son!

Pretty sure he also has the longest passing streak without an interception, and the best TD/Int ratio for a season in NFL history.. but im getting tired

Edited by shecolt
masked profanity

np, but guess i feel obligated now to throw out some other records that Tom Terrific holds:

- 2 Super Bowl MVPs

- 2 NFL MVPS

- In 2010, became the first player ever to be unanimously selected as the MVP.

- 8 Pro Bowls

- 17-7 in the playoffs.. the highest playoff win total in NFL history

- Longest winning streak in NFL history at 21

- Only undefeated regular season since the institution of the 16 game schedule.

- 3rd highest career passer rating in NFL history

- 1st QB to lead his team to 10 division titles in NFL history

- Brady and Montana are the only players in NFL history to win the NFL MVP and Super Bowl MVP multiple times

- Most passing touchdowns in NFL history for a single season

- Brady and Elway remain the only players in NFL history to lead their teams to 5 Super Bowl appearances

- The first NFL player to be awarded the Male Athlete of the Year award since Joe Montana

- 2010 was rated Best Player in the NFL

- He & Belichick won 125 regular season games and 17 playoff games, as well as appearing in 5 Super Bowls... all NFL records

- Lead the highest scoring offense in NFL history

- Fastest QB to reach 100 wins in NFL history

- NFL record for pass-interception differential at 42

- Highest single-game post season completion percentage in NFL history at 92.9%

- Most pass attempts in a Super Bowl in NFL history

- Most pass attempts in a Super Bowl without throwing an interception in NFL history

- Most completions in Super Bowl games in NFL history with 100

- Has a chance this year to break Drew Brees' consecutive touchdown streak

- Married to Gisele Bunschen

- Hes Tom *mod edit* Brady son!

Pretty sure he also has the longest passing streak without an interception, and the best TD/Int ratio for a season in NFL history.. but im getting tired

not all of those are records.