Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

27 of 42, 462 yards, 7 TDs 0 INTs

oldunclemark

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Perhaps you forget what Brady did with Troy Brown in the slot who was cut twice before Brady became the starter. Not to mention Branch, Givens, Fauria, etc. Welker for sure has his skills but they were magnified by Brady and the O. And of course now he is with Manning who will get him his touches.

I think maybe where we diverge in the comparison is I don't think Denver's D is that much better. They were ranked high last year mostly because of the cup cake schedule in which Manning got the lead early. You saw more of who they were in the playoff game vs the Ravens. I don't think they looked that great last night against a depleted Ravens O.

I don't see where special teams is that far off. I don't recall Indy's being that bad but you would probably know better. Vanderjagt at one point had the best FG in the league even if he missed the big kicks from time to time. Then you got Vinateri in 2006.

I don't think the Indy O was a little better. I think they were a lot better. Harrison and Wayne and James are above Denver even with Welker. That is two HoFers and Wayne may make the hall too not too mention Saturday and the rest of the Oline.

Of course I don't forget what Brady did with guys like Brown, Branch and co. Brady does make those around him better. I'm just saying I think Welker does the same. The Patriots had a decent O with those guys, but it didn't blow up until Welker hit the scene. Keep in mind in recent years in the rare case Welker was injured the Patriots offense vanished. The same thing happened when BB held him out for the foot jokes, and then quickly soared once he was back in. He makes a significant impact.

I don't think Denver's D is amazing, but I do think they're much better than Indy's. In Indy, you played with the lead and held on for dear life. In Denver, the D can actually keep you in games from time to time. Indy's D needed the lead to make the most of its god awful design, and even then often fell flat on its face.

For special teams, you'd have to have witnessed the many blunders committed over the years to understand how awful Indy's were. Indy had a terrible return game filled with fumbuitis and woeful starting field position. The coverage was abysmal, giving up long punt and kickoff returns like it was going out of style. Missed tackles, falling down, you name it.  Then you have all the return TDs scored on them over the years on top of it. Kicking wise  Vanderjagt was great until you really needed him. Vinny is great when you need him, and iffy otherwise.

Denver offers a significant improvement in the field position battle. The Broncos have a solid return game and infrequent fumbulitis. Not to mention the coverage is much better. Heck, Denver even gets a few TD returns of its own...something that you'd rarely see in Indy.

In order to see just how bad Indy's special teams were, just look up any time they played the Chargers.

Of course I don't forget what Brady did with guys like Brown, Branch and co. Brady does make those around him better. I'm just saying I think Welker does the same. The Patriots had a decent O with those guys, but it didn't blow up until Welker hit the scene. Keep in mind in recent years in the rare case Welker was injured the Patriots offense vanished. The same thing happened when BB held him out for the foot jokes, and then quickly soared once he was back in. He's makes a significant impact.

I don't think Denver's D is amazing, but I do think they're much better than Indy's. In Indy, you played with the lead and held on for dear life. In Denver, the D can actually keep you in games from time to time. Indy's D needed the lead to make the most of its design, and even then often fell flat on its face.

For special teams, you'd have to have witnessed the many blunders committed over the years to understand how awful Indy's were.Indy had a terrible return game filled with fumbuitis and woeful starting field position. Let alone all the return TDs scored on them over the years.  Vanderjagt was a great kicker until you really needed him. Vinny is great when you need him, and iffy otherwise.

Denver offers a significant improvement in the field position battle with  a solid return gameand much less frequent fumbulitis. Not to mention the coverage is much better. Heck, Denver even gets few TD returns of its own...something that you'd rarely ever catch in Indy.

Welker averaged 5 TDs a season. He was the third most valuable player on the O behind Brady and Moss from 2007-2010 and third again from 2011-2012 behind Brady and Gronk. He was never the best receiver/TE on the Pats offense. He certainly played his part and moved the chains but not the best by far and the Pats O didn't explode with him. It exploded when the Pats went to the spread with Moss and his 23 TDs and then again with Gronk and his record setting rookie year. Currently, Gronk has the most TDs in three seasons than any TE in the history of the game.

I guess I looked at Decker who I think is pretty awful at times and Thomas who is streaky and I just don't see them being in the same league as Harrison and Wayne. Clark was also better than any of the Denver TEs as well.

I am not saying that the Denver teams are not good. I just put Indy ahead of them. Like 10 to 8. :)

Welker averaged 5 TDs a season. He was the third most valuable player on the O behind Brady and Moss from 2007-2010 and third again from 2011-2012 behind Brady and Gronk. He was never the best receiver/TE on the Pats offense. He certainly played his part and moved the chains but not the best by far and the Pats O didn't explode with him. It exploded when the Pats went to the spread with Moss and his 23 TDs and then again with Gronk and his record setting rookie year. Currently, Gronk has the most TDs in three seasons than any TE in the history of the game.

I guess I looked at Decker who I think is pretty awful at times and Thomas who is streaky and I just don't see them being in the same league as Harrison and Wayne. Clark was also better than any of the Denver TEs as well.

I am not saying that the Denver teams are not good. I just put Indy ahead of them. Like 10 to 8. :)

Maybe I am overvaluing Welker, but again the beauty of this is that we'll know in about 1-4 weeks time. Perhaps I give him too much credit and Brady not enough, but let's just let the jury sit out on it. (And no, when the Patriots annihilate Buffalo 99-0 that doesn't count.)  Oh lord, Buffalo... :facepalm:

Decker is pretty much hot and cold incarnate. He makes great plays one game, then the next he completely sucks up the joint and trips over invisible ewok trip lines. I don't think any single receiver including Welker is on Wayne let alone Marvin's level, but the unit as a whole makes up for it.

And that's fine if you think Indy was better. Like the Brady thing, we'll see how the season plays out and see for ourselves. Thank god football is back.

Of course I don't forget what Brady did with guys like Brown, Branch and co. Brady does make those around him better. I'm just saying I think Welker does the same. The Patriots had a decent O with those guys, but it didn't blow up until Welker hit the scene. Keep in mind in recent years in the rare case Welker was injured the Patriots offense vanished. The same thing happened when BB held him out for the foot jokes, and then quickly soared once he was back in. He makes a significant impact.

A) No one even knew Welker's name, he was just another white dude in the crowd before he came to the Patriots.  

B)  I didn't see Welker blowing up the scene in the NFL when he was cut by the chargers, and then was on the Dolphins for a couple years.  Why wasn't he making people better then?

C)  You have selective memory, because the year that Welker busted his knee up, Edelman started in his place in the first playoff game against the Ravens and he went over 100 yards with 2 touchdowns and had a lot of receptions.. id have to spend the time to look up his reception count, but it was up there, he had an awesome game.

There is a reason that slot receivers don't get paid as much as elite outside receivers... because their job isnt as difficult and they aren't the most important piece on the chess board.  They are definitely a nice piece to have in your arsenal, but they do not make an offense go.

Amendola will put up 90+ receptions this year in this offense, and that is with zero talent around him at the skill positions outside of Gronk who is injured right now.  Brady will probably still be leading a top 7 or so offense after losing his top 7 receiving leaders from the year prior.  He has done that his entire career, making JAGs into Super Bowl MVPs and getting them TV commercials.  He has proven throughout his entire career that he makes other people better.  Everyone thought Randy Moss' career was over, until he was traded to the Patriots and then broke the touchdown record.  All of this of course while having a revolving door at the offensive coordinator position

There is zero question about Brady's greatness or his ability to raise the talent of everyone else around him.

A) No one even knew Welker's name, he was just another white dude in the crowd before he came to the Patriots.  

B)  I didn't see Welker blowing up the scene in the NFL when he was cut by the chargers, and then was on the Dolphins for a couple years.  Why wasn't he making people better then?

C)  You have selective memory, because the year that Welker busted his knee up, Edelman started in his place in the first playoff game against the Ravens and he went over 100 yards with 2 touchdowns and had a lot of receptions.. id have to spend the time to look up his reception count, but it was up there, he had an awesome game.

There is a reason that slot receivers don't get paid as much as elite outside receivers... because their job isnt as difficult and they aren't the most important piece on the chess board.  They are definitely a nice piece to have in your arsenal, but they do not make an offense go.

Amendola will put up 90+ receptions this year in this offense, and that is with zero talent around him at the skill positions outside of Gronk who is injured right now.  Brady will probably still be leading a top 7 or so offense after losing his top 7 receiving leaders from the year prior.  He has done that his entire career, making JAGs into Super Bowl MVPs and getting them TV commercials.  He has proven throughout his entire career that he makes other people better.  Everyone thought Randy Moss' career was over, until he was traded to the Patriots and then broke the touchdown record.  All of this of course while having a revolving door at the offensive coordinator position

There is zero question about Brady's greatness or his ability to raise the talent of everyone else around him.

I would argue Welker post Moss did make the offense go. Hands down.

I agree elite WRs will command more money- that's just the nature of it.

But without that 3rd down catch, continuously in the face of knowing it's coming, and still catch it for the 1st down is huge to an offense and more so the QB- (his so called "binky"). 

It's usually a TE or slot receiver. Occasionally a RB like a Roger Craig or Marshall Faulk.

NE probably doesn't make the playoffs those couple years without Welker. The WRs weren't great and Brady can't hit the bombs anyway save a Moss jump.

Welker would be the 2nd MVP those 2 years for NE.  Brady has to be the first because he not only throws it well but engineer's it all.

Too bad teams are copying the Patriots with the "up tempo".  I guess it helps at least NE is the creator and therefore can do it the best but I wish people stop copying all the Patriots ideas :devil:

I think we'll fair better against the Broncos than the Ravens did.  I think we have more weapons than the Ravens do this year. There was a conscious effort to stop Torrey Smith last night, and I think the Broncos were well aware that the Ravens really don't have any play makers on there offense this year other than Smith and those running backs. Everybody else is a bunch of has been stop gap players.  Once they stopped Rice, Pierce, and Smith there really were no other threats.

That kept Baltimore from being able to sustain long drives and also from keeping Peyton off the field.  Also it kept them from being able to keep pace with Peyton scoring.  I think we'll be able to sustain drives against them, and keep Peyton off the field long enough to win or keep things pretty close.  I respect the Broncos ability, but I'm not scared of them.

When Welker was with the Dolphins there was a Monday Night game were Welker gave the Patriots fits for just about the entire game.  I believe that is the point that raised the Patriots interest in him when he became available.  Amendola is a good replacement for him I do believe, but I am a bit concerned about him staying healthy.

The Ravens are going to have to draft another free safety to go along with Matt Elam as far as the future is concerned(I know Elam is not playing yet, but he will be).  I don't think Michael Huff is the answer there. Of course it will be pretty difficult to find another Ed Reed though.

It's also quite apparent they are sorely missing Pitta and Boldin.  The replacements they brought in are over the hill.

The Ravens are going to have to draft another free safety to go along with Matt Elam as far as the future is concerned(I know Elam is not playing yet, but he will be).  I don't think Michael Huff is the answer there. Of course it will be pretty difficult to find another Ed Reed though.

It's also quite apparent they are sorely missing Pitta and Boldin.  The replacements they brought in are over the hill.

they are hoping to get Pita back toward seasons end, Injury to Jones also removed another target ( he will be out 4-6 weeks )

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/09/06/source-mcl-sprain-likely-will-knock-jacoby-jones-out-4-6-weeks/

Dont know about there right tackle, he was injured to thus the rigght side allowed sacks and pressure 

Peyton is going to try and get the season TD mark back on his shelve!

would be nice, if he had played the 2.5 games more they took him out for in 2004  he have it ( in fact that was year he played 3 quaterters and threw 6 tds on thanksgiving Vs lions, easily could have got another for only pplayer to get 7 twice and may have gotten 8, if played another quarter vs a bad team )

the last game that season was Vs Denver, played a series, no TDs and left , next game was Vs denver agaain in playoffs got 4 TD's that would of been the record if did same in final game instead of sitting

but its a long season, he wants Superbowl more than a record or MVP

20130906__Columbus_dispatch~p1.jpg

Columbus Dispatch

Move over Elway there is a new #7 in town. :lol:

Thats very good he wore # 7, also i believe he had 300 TD's  , thats # 7 on the list to of all time for qbs

Yet when u click image to enlarge and read article it notes Peytion threw them in very first line

it was also put up against the wall even more with the Ravens only running 12 times (14 passes in the 1st Quarter alone and only 6 runs)

This is a great point.  Ravens fell into the classic trap against a Manning led team:  panic when you get behind and start chasing the score.  So many Colts blowouts started because teams stopped running a balanced offense and just let the pass rushers tee off.  Sacks, three and outs, and turnovers follow and the game quickly gets out of hand.

Peyton only scored an 83.61 QBR last night. Which is worse than last season. So his performance last night was worse than his average game last season.

What is wrong with that system? I really want to know the formula...

Folks believe in those rankings like they are the bible....and they quote them like they were Hemingway

..but they are all skewed towards certain stats

In the NFL...ratings arent numbers ....numbers (like 7 TDs, no INTs) are numbers

You also have to have your defense create multiple turnovers inside the opponents own red zone.  Two of those touchdowns were basically borderline shuffle passes to the RB, but he still lit them up.  

I called it months ago when they got Welker, it was obvious the Broncos were going All In for a Super Bowl and an aerial attack similar to Brady in 07 and Manning in 04.  With that kind of talent, if you arent throwing up 300+ yards and 3-4 TDs a game, something is seriously wrong.

Broncos fans im sure are going to have a fun time watching their team this year, and Manning has an insanely talented team around him that could definitely earn him another ring (or two).  Thats why football is a team sport, its not all about Manning scoring those 7 touchdowns, its the insane levels of talent around him that make an elite quarterback go into beast mode.  They don't do it all by themselves, you need talent around you.

There weren't multiple turnovers inside the red zone, that's a tad of an an exagerration....isn't it?

To throw 7 TDs....you must have  realtively close game,,If the score if 35-3, Manning isn't in the game. That's all I was saying. It wasn't a comment ion individfuals excelling I team sport..I was referring to anyone

..I think everybody knows that football is a team game..and that no one plays by themselves..we got that

..but you are revising history a little... all I heard about that insanely talented Denver team all summer was how shaky the offensive line was, how weak the pass rtush was going to be..and how their running back position was mediocre..remember?

In game one....not so much

This is a great point.  Ravens fell into the classic trap against a Manning led team:  panic when you get behind and start chasing the score.  So many Colts blowouts started because teams stopped running a balanced offense and just let the pass rushers tee off.  Sacks, three and outs, and turnovers follow and the game quickly gets out of hand.

Very true..and it was old Indy Jimmy C....(the message board favorite) that got away from calling plays for hard-running Ray Rice

Did you see the Broncos schedule? The Patriots are the only threat left, and maybe the Colts.

if they keep playing at a high level and keep the throttle open on every game, there is a real possiblity they will go undefeated. Personally, loosing a game or two would be good for them as a group to help keep them honest.

I dont see them loosing to New England unless something bad happens like injuries.

after what they did to the Ravens and manning having fun and playing like i've never seen before.. they will be unstoppable.

Colts V Broncos is hard for me. I have issues with Irsay, not the team. Love the Colts, Love Manning. Some say I cant have it both ways, but you know what.. you cant hate great and thats what Manning is.

I'll say it, Colts loose to Denver in Indy. I just cant see Manning loosing to not the Colts, but Irsay in my mind.

I know Manning never would have won another SB in Indy. The TEAM was just too messed up thanks to Bill and Chris Polian. Denver is his best bet.

It puts a smile on my face to see him back and owning the NFL. I openly supported Manning during his recovery and still do. 'Never bet against Peyton'.

Did you see the Broncos schedule? The Patriots are the only threat left, and maybe the Colts.

I could not disagree more. Every game in their division with the exception of the Raiders will be tougher then last year. You have the Pats and and the Redskins as threats and potentially the Cowboys and Eagles too. And what about your Colts? I give them a fighters chance especially at home with Luck wanting to beat Manning.

I could not disagree more. Every game in their division with the exception of the Raiders will be tougher then last year. You have the Pats and and the Redskins as threats and potentially the Cowboys and Eagles too. And what about your Colts? I give them a fighters chance especially at home with Luck wanting to beat Manning.

No. Cowboys?? Eagles??? Not hardly. You really think Luck is just dead set on beating Manning??? lmao.. No again. Does he want to beat Denver? Yes. Just beat Manning?? No.

redskins are not a threat either.

Chargers are better than last year? No. Matter of a fact, i think they are worse. They still have Philly Riviera for QB. That alone kills their chances.

I just dont think the Colts are good enough to beat Denver this year.

All in all, it should be an interesting year.

Its only week 1 and there are 15 more games to go...15 games that they need to stay healthy and not have key injuries. If they are healthy by playoff time....and the weather isn't rediculous...they will definately be a favorite to win it all or at least get to the SB. That said SF and SEA have perfect teams to give Peyton fits. They can run the ball and have very very good defenses. Also Brady just eats up Denvers secondary so that game will be very very close. You have to play them all and there are tons of stuff that could happen....injuries, suspensions, and turnovers (we've all seen how they can turn a game upside down) that could get in their way....or simply have a bad game at the wrong time..or a guy that forgets how to play a prevent defense and lets an easy ball get over his head....you never know...and Peyton has seen it all happen to him....even his coaches making boneheaded calls.

The Chiefs are the Chiefs. Every year they are the best team, and poof, nothing.

The Chargers always find a way to implode against the Broncos, see last years game. Freeney might cause a problem, but I hate to admit it, Manning only has to call a run play and Dwight is useless.

As I said Patriots are the biggest threat, and it is in Foxborough again I believe.

The NFCE is a strange division, but none look stronger than the Broncos.

AS for the Colts, who do you think wants to win more? Peyton or Luck? Andrew doesn't like to lose, but come on you're crazy if you think Peyton doesn't want that game more.

The Chiefs are the Chiefs. Every year they are the best team, and poof, nothing.

The Chargers always find a way to implode against the Broncos, see last years game. Freeney might cause a problem, but I hate to admit it, Manning only has to call a run play and Dwight is useless.

As I said Patriots are the biggest threat, and it is in Foxborough again I believe.

AS for the Colts, who do you think wants to win more? Peyton or Luck? Andrew doesn't like to lose, but come on you're crazy if you think Peyton doesn't want that game more.

I think the Cowboys can give the broncos a real game because of a shoot-out. Bryant, Witten, and Austin is arguably the best trio in the nfl (Atlanta has the other one). The Cowboys O-line is not great, but broncos pass rush isnt a real threat either, and Romo is great at extending plays. And the Cowboys do have some great playmakers on D. I think it will be one of the more entertaining games.

Redskins and Giants have the capable offense but I can't see the broncos losing in Denver this year, and I can't see Peyton losing at all to little brother.

Agree with the above points you made. Patriots are definitely still the best threat to any sort of 16-0.

we didn't have many blowouts in the Peyton era, the smart teams would just chip Freeney or Mathis and with our Corners playing off teams had the easy option, get the easy completion or run it down our throat

if they keep playing at a high level and keep the throttle open on every game, there is a real possiblity they will go undefeated. Personally, loosing a game or two would be good for them as a group to help keep them honest.

I dont see them loosing to New England unless something bad happens like injuries.

after what they did to the Ravens and manning having fun and playing like i've never seen before.. they will be unstoppable.

Colts V Broncos is hard for me. I have issues with Irsay, not the team. Love the Colts, Love Manning. Some say I cant have it both ways, but you know what.. you cant hate great and thats what Manning is.

I'll say it, Colts loose to Denver in Indy. I just cant see Manning loosing to not the Colts, but Irsay in my mind.

I know Manning never would have won another SB in Indy. The TEAM was just too messed up thanks to Bill and Chris Polian. Denver is his best bet.

It puts a smile on my face to see him back and owning the NFL. I openly supported Manning during his recovery and still do. 'Never bet against Peyton'.

Broncos could lose to patriots. Pats beat them last year by running the ball. I still believe Denver's running d isn't good. the ravens just didn't test it enough. Cowboys and redskins have shot at broncos and the colts might depending on their oline.

The chiefs don't need to be the best. They just need to put together one good game. Remember they were the team that beat GB in 2011 when they were trying to go undefeated. And that really is my point. The NFL is so unpredictable. ESPN had predicted that the Pats would go undefeated last year not knowing that the NFC West would emerge as the best division in football and hand the Pats 3 of their 4 losses. I could see the NFC East being that division this year with a new coach in Philly, a healthy RG, a Giants team with something to prove after missing the playoffs last year and the Cowboys trying to get that final win to get in the playoffs.

Even the year the Pats did go 16-0, they had close calls against the Ravens and Eagles at the end of the season that no one saw coming. They also had a miracle comeback against the Colts too and a shoot out with the Cowboys. It was a magical season but honestly, I don't see any team doing it again. The Broncs have too many questions on defense and at RB to run the table IMO. And in the end, I don't trust Fox either.

The chiefs don't need to be the best. They just need to put together one good game. Remember they were the team that beat GB in 2011 when they were trying to go undefeated. And that really is my point. The NFL is so unpredictable. ESPN had predicted that the Pats would go undefeated last year not knowing that the NFC West would emerge as the best division in football and hand the Pats 3 of their 4 losses. I could see the NFC East being that division this year with a new coach in Philly, a healthy RG, a Giants team with something to prove after missing the playoffs last year and the Cowboys trying to get that final win to get in the playoffs.

Even the year the Pats did go 16-0, they had close calls against the Ravens and Eagles at the end of the season that no one saw coming. They also had a miracle comeback against the Colts too and a shoot out with the Cowboys. It was a magical season but honestly, I don't see any team doing it again. The Broncs have too many questions on defense and at RB to run the table IMO. And in the end, I don't trust Fox either.

I am not saying you're wrong, but the Broncos schedule is probably one of the weakest Peyton has ever faced. Of course on paper. And Peyton has almost gone 16-0 on three separate occasions with harder schedules. That is why I don't feel it is that far fetched.

I am not saying you're wrong, but the Broncos schedule is probably one of the weakest Peyton has ever faced. Of course on paper. And Peyton has almost gone 16-0 on three separate occasions with harder schedules. That is why I don't feel it is that far fetched.

FYI

Manning became the first quarterback since the AFL-NFL merger to throw seven touchdowns in a game.

The last quarterback to do it was Joe Kapp of the Minnesota Vikings in 1969. Kapp threw those TDs against the Baltimore Colts, which is fitting, giving that team’s dual ties to the Ravens and Peyton himself.

((( The AFL–NFL merger of 1970 http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AFL%E2%80%93NFL_merger )))

http://ftw.usatoday.com/2013/09/peyton-manning-7-touchdowns/

Home just to set DVR forgot, leaving as seems to be routine lately

I think last year's schedule was easier and he stil lost 3. We will see how this season shapes up. You could be right in the end.

(And no, when the Patriots annihilate Buffalo 99-0 that doesn't count.)  Oh lord, Buffalo... :facepalm:

Looks like my 99-0 prediction might come to pass lol... good lord they're terrible.

Not to throw stones, so is Oakland. I think it will be a three way tie between Oakland, the Jets and Buffalo for worst team this season.

I'll add in a vote for the Titans as well haha

Buffalo VS Jets and Titans VS Oakland.   Loser from both games gets to play in "The Toilet Bowl".

Speaking of terrible teams, is it just me or does there seem to be a LOT of teams in complete disarray this season? I mean usually you have 1-2 teams that stink at a level far below all else. See 0-16 Detroit or the Rams.

Now we have:

BUF

NYJ

OAK

TEN

JAX

Cleveland? (Not sure on this one.)

For a league of "parity", there sure are a quite a few poor teams.

Buffalo just got 7 off a terrible self induced fumble by Ridley. The D has looked respectable vs a QB like Brady and his O-line, but that offense is taking them nowhere.

Too bad teams are copying the Patriots with the "up tempo".  I guess it helps at least NE is the creator and therefore can do it the best but I wish people stop copying all the Patriots ideas :devil:

with all the lack of experience at the skill positions, its difficult for Brady and the Pats to go up tempo now though because all the rookies will screw it up.  

Just watching this buffalo game, Brady is so incredibly frustrated because there have just been so many mistakes by his receiving core of rookies.

with all the lack of experience at the skill positions, its difficult for Brady and the Pats to go up tempo now though because all the rookies will screw it up.  

Just watching this buffalo game, Brady is so incredibly frustrated because there have just been so many mistakes by his receiving core of rookies.

Take solace that nobody blows a lead like Buffalo. No way the Pats lose. It's possible, but to say it's unlikely is an understatment.