Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Lack of Depth at WR

atapcl

The preseason seemed to indicate that the WR core is weak on depth. TY, Wayne, and DHB are solid. Brazil looked promising with the little practice he had. After Brazil the next core looks like they should all be cut. One (Whalen) might be kept since Brazil is out 4 games, but with extended playing time in preseason none of the second tier players look talented enough to use a roster spot on them. Reed showed KR ability but he now has a concussion and he did not endear himself as a receiving threat on a team that needed receivers. Maybe that's why Grigson has beaten the bushes trying to find another receiver. I believe the Colts will cut this area to 4 players until another WR can be found.

Ehh, wouldn't really read too much into WR depth. Barring injury to our TE's & RB's, we'll be fine. Everyone will be catching passes in this offense. Plus Wayne & TY are better than every WR Andrew had at Stanford. If he can succed with those WR's, he'll do fine with ours. We're fine for now, but I'm sure Grigson is watching the cuts from the other 31 teams very closely

I think we're pretty good on WR depth.  

You realize that your #4 and #5 WR's are always going to likely be borderline players who are likely going to be fighting for a roster spot each year.  

I mean seriously, name me the most famous WR#4 on his team.  

And I also am not concerned with the depth because more emphasis on the TE factor. Look at what we did without our star TE's. We ran offense very fluently. Now imagine having Dwayne Allen, Ahmad Bradshaw (depending on health), & Coby Fleener out there for Luck to throw to. That's a dangerous offense if the offensive line gets their act together

And I also am not concerned with the depth because more emphasis on the TE factor. Look at what we did without our star TE's. We ran offense very fluently. Now imagine having Dwayne Allen, Ahmad Bradshaw (depending on health), & Coby Fleener out there for Luck to throw to. That's a dangerous offense if the offensive line gets their act together

Not concerned about how the offense runs without WR4 and 5 just on using roster spots for people who can not contribute much to the team and cutting valuable players just to have depth at WR in case of injury. It will be interesting to see how things play out the next few days.

Not concerned about how the offense runs without WR4 and 5 just on using roster spots for people who can not contribute much to the team and cutting valuable players just to have depth at WR in case of injury. It will be interesting to see how things play out the next few days.

I don't see our staff being that dumb to keep a guy like say sambrano and cutting K Willy just to have WR depth. We'll probably go into the season with 5. And don't use anyone to replace Brazill. So have 4

Reggie Wayne

Ty Hilton

DHB

Lavon Brazill* Suspension

Griff Whalen

That'll be our roster right there as far as WR core goes imo

I thought Whalen was tearing it up at camp? Haven't caught much of him in the preseason but it seems to me if he catches everything that hits his hands that's half the battle considering what we witnessed last year.

He catches everything thrown his way. But he played with Harnish as his QB most the time. I think Griff Whalen will come into his own as the regular season trails along

I don't see our staff being that dumb to keep a guy like say sambrano and cutting K Willy just to have WR depth. We'll probably go into the season with 5. And don't use anyone to replace Brazill. So have 4

Reggie Wayne

Ty Hilton

DHB

Lavon Brazill* Suspension

Griff Whalen

That'll be our roster right there as far as WR core goes imo

Not really impressed by Whalen either.

I said a million times in the Da'rick Rogers thread that we should sign him our staff could unlock all his potential not to mention the best young QB and Reggie to help him in the locker room and on the field the kid has talent he tore it up at Tennessee tech lol and was a beast at Tennessee

He catches everything thrown his way. But he played with Harnish as his QB most the time. I think Griff Whalen will come into his own as the regular season trails along

That's what I thought. How can we even judge Whalen by the preseason? He is going to surprise a lot of people.

That's what I thought. How can we even judge Whalen by the preseason? He is going to surprise a lot of people.

Yeah, nothing better than having your college OC and college QB on the same team.

Edit: Actually; it'd be even better if we had some of their college offensive line haha

The 4th WR is very important and the 5th will be needed sometime this season.

Whalen is impressive as he gets open and he catches very well.

Brazzill has potential and is certainly decent on special teams.

I don`t think there is another decent WR on todays roster, maybe one to put on the practice squad who could be brought up to fill a special team need.

Brazill showed nothing in the pre season, Whalen has a strangle hold on the #4 slot, Brazill can make it in as the 5th wr seeing as how I dont think we go 5 wide wr sets alot if our TE's are healthy so the 4 game suspension (if it happens) dont hurt much, I'd rather get a wr that showed something in preseason that has the intangibles we need to succeed in this offense through the cuts from other teams however

The preseason seemed to indicate that the WR core is weak on depth. TY, Wayne, and DHB are solid. Brazil looked promising with the little practice he had. After Brazil the next core looks like they should all be cut. One (Whalen) might be kept since Brazil is out 4 games, but with extended playing time in preseason none of the second tier players look talented enough to use a roster spot on them. Reed showed KR ability but he now has a concussion and he did not endear himself as a receiving threat on a team that needed receivers. Maybe that's why Grigson has beaten the bushes trying to find another receiver. I believe the Colts will cut this area to 4 players until another WR can be found.

what is wrong Whalen? Whalen has a lot of potential and could be a valuable receiver for us, especially when Wayne retires. granted after Brazill and Whalen there really isnt much to brag about, but who know's. you may be surprised on who step's up and plays very well if someone gets hurt. 

Ehh, wouldn't really read too much into WR depth. Barring injury to our TE's & RB's, we'll be fine. Everyone will be catching passes in this offense. Plus Wayne & TY are better than every WR Andrew had at Stanford. If he can succed with those WR's, he'll do fine with ours. We're fine for now, but I'm sure Grigson is watching the cuts from the other 31 teams very closely

When "Andrew" was at Stanford, he and his receivers were not competing against NFL defenses. There is no comparison at all there.

I said a million times in the Da'rick Rogers thread that we should sign him our staff could unlock all his potential not to mention the best young QB and Reggie to help him in the locker room and on the field the kid has talent he tore it up at Tennessee tech lol and was a beast at Tennessee

Best? Well, very good at least :ashamed:

I will admit that Whalen seemed to be consistent with reeling in catches and getting open. I wouldn't be surprised if he makes the final roster, mostly because I can't think of many other of our depth receivers who stood out. I guess it also depends on whether we want to keep Brazill or not.

what is wrong Whalen? Whalen has a lot of potential and could be a valuable receiver for us, especially when Wayne retires. granted after Brazill and Whalen there really isnt much to brag about, but who know's. you may be surprised on who step's up and plays very well if someone gets hurt. 

Just my opinion but he is only effective setting down in an open spot of a zone. He cant get separation in a man defense which takes him out of the offense.

he is so good he is unemployed

Depth is a problem when we have a serious injury that will sideline one of our first 3.....it would be an extreme problem if we had 2/3 down or were down 1 and lost another during a game. I guess if we got to that point in an emergency I would favor moving a Fleener into the slot or outside spot or a running back on a temporary basis. The Colts shifted Lenny Moore from running back to receiver for a whole season and used him alternately at both positions in some seasons. Practice squad receivers and other teams 4's and 5"s are not usually very good ( think Hank Basket....). Every team is a little thin someplace but then I also have a very high opinion of Whalen.

For off field issues I believe, The talent is their, as a 5th wr at this point he should be able to make an impact if we were to pick him up

he couldnt hold a spot as the bills 5th wr. No way he makes it here. Plus, the colts aren't known for bringing in off the field trouble guy

he couldnt hold a spot as the bills 5th wr. No way he makes it here. Plus, the colts aren't known for bringing in off the field trouble guy

Mcafee

Mckinney

Justice

Im sure there are a couple more

The Bills have more talent at wr past #3 then we do