Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

My Observations

TKnight24

Hello Colts Family & Happy Monday!! :D

I have finally watched our 3rd pre-season game vs the Browns. I couldn't watch it Saturday as it was not televised in my area so I watched the NFL replay of it. I've made a few observations & thought I would share them with you guys so here goes.....

1. Hugh Thorton is the future guard who I expect to start sometime this season. That was no rookie guard out there, loked good like a seasoned veteran from my prospective

2. Reggie Wayne is NOT human :D

3. LaRon Landry & Antoine Bethea are looking good as a safety duo, communicating well, & Laron is becoming very team friendly. Some people said he's all about himself but he's cheering with the team & even had a chest bump with Bethea early in the game after Bethea hit a TE

4. DHB continues to catch the ball. He's still catching with his body so I don't know about his hands yet. But as some of you remember, I was NOT a fan of the DHB signing. But I still stick to my word that if he proves me wrong, gets his hands together, & gets re-signed in the off-season I will make a status at the end of the season admitting I was wrong about him.

5. Stanley Havili is a good FB. He's like a poor man's Mike Alstott (Spellcheck) from Tampa back in the day imo. Definitely is a physical guy with some soft hands out of the backfield which is a plus for this style of offense.

6. 1st team defense will be a thing of beauty this season. Greg Toler was a great pickup. He has his moments were he's aggressive & allows the completion but also has his moments were he makes plays. (i.e. the fumble & interception in the past 2 games). I see Toler as a poor man's Asante Samuels. He'll take some chances this season to make a play for the defense. Him & Vontae Davis will be a good duo this season

7. Andrew Luck is much more comfortable, smarter, & in control than he was last season. This offense has given Luck what seems to be a new "swagger". If we could just shore the offensive line up just a tad bit more, I think we'll be a very dangerous offense this season barring injuries.

8. Special Teams has vastly improved compared to the Buffalo game. I'm happy to see this improvement & I believe this unit will be a bright spot for us this season.

9. T.Y. Hilton should change his name to TD Hilton. He always seems to find the endzone & his hands are just oh so much better. I can tell Reggie & the jug machine have helped him this off-season. Loving his progression heading into year 2.

10. My final observation: The :colts: are heading to the playoffs again this year. NFL, look out!! :cheer:

Those are my observations from the game & looking forward to you guys feedback, inputs, & opinions. Thank you for your time Colts family :thmup:

I wasn't able to see the game and I'm not sure I feel like watching it on the NFL channel replay. I saw the replays of some big plays and there's just something about watching a replay of an exhibition game that you know the outcome of.

Anyway ...good to hear about 1 and 3. I sure hope you're right.

2 is for sure true.

I've seen enough to agree with 5 6 7 8 and 9.

We'll see on 1 3 and 4. I think the jury's still out on those three.

I realize that this game is on NFL Network right now, but I don't like watching my team in the 3rd quarter on. I DVR'd it for 2 A.M. tonight & I will respond accordingly later this week with SW1's overall impressions. Nice evaluation TK85! I appreciate your insights as always. Remember, I'm in WI & haven't seen the game yet. No spoiler alerts please...Just Kidding! 

"4. DHB continues to catch the ball. He's still catching with his body so I don't know about his hands yet. But as some of you remember, I was NOT a fan of the DHB signing. But I still stick to my word that if he proves me wrong, gets his hands together, & gets re-signed in the off-season I will make a status at the end of the season admitting I was wrong about him."

Bravo TK85! It takes a big man to being open to admitting that they were possibly wrong about DHB. I applaud you for that honesty & humility. It's a sign of courage, fairness, & maturity actually. Keep it up!  :thmup: 

Since we are putting all our cards on the table, if by some miracle Dallas makes the Playoffs, I will swallow my pride, grit my teeth, & give the Cowboys credit for being relevant in the post season again. SW1 gives you his word. 

My observations were that we had ONE reception to a tight end in the game. Cunningham didn't get thrown to at all I believe. With the Browns going all out to stop the deep ball to Hilton & DHB, Luck had numerous throws across the field to Wayne that were easy completions.

if we can move the ball that effectively with an average run game then I do believe that things can only get more and more interesting with a tough veteran back in Bradshaw coming in and both our Tight Ends returning to the field to cause even more mis-matches in the passing game.

My observations were that we had ONE reception to a tight end in the game. Cunningham didn't get thrown to at all I believe. With the Browns going all out to stop the deep ball to Hilton & DHB, Luck had numerous throws across the field to Wayne that were easy completions.

if we can move the ball that effectively with an average run game then I do believe that things can only get more and more interesting with a tough veteran back in Bradshaw coming in and both our Tight Ends returning to the field to cause even more mis-matches in the passing game.

This offense isn't even full staffed and we're playing this good. Imagine all of those targets Luck will have to throw to. Gonna be beautiful

I have finally watched our 3rd pre-season game vs the Browns. I couldn't watch it Saturday as it was not televised in my area so I watched the NFL replay of it. I've made a few observations & thought I would share them with you guys so here goes.....

1. Hugh Thorton is the future guard who I expect to start sometime this season. That was no rookie guard out there, loked good like a seasoned veteran from my prospective

3. LaRon Landry & Antoine Bethea are looking good as a safety duo, communicating well, & Laron is becoming very team friendly. Some people said he's all about himself but he's cheering with the team & even had a chest bump with Bethea early in the game after Bethea hit a TE

4. DHB continues to catch the ball. He's still catching with his body so I don't know about his hands yet. But as some of you remember, I was NOT a fan of the DHB signing. But I still stick to my word that if he proves me wrong, gets his hands together, & gets re-signed in the off-season I will make a status at the end of the season admitting I was wrong about him.

5. Stanley Havili is a good FB. He's like a poor man's Mike Alstott (Spellcheck) from Tampa back in the day imo. Definitely is a physical guy with some soft hands out of the backfield which is a plus for this style of offense.

6. 1st team defense will be a thing of beauty this season. Greg Toler was a great pickup. He has his moments were he's aggressive & allows the completion but also has his moments were he makes plays. (i.e. the fumble & interception in the past 2 games). I see Toler as a poor man's Asante Samuels. He'll take some chances this season to make a play for the defense. Him & Vontae Davis will be a good duo this season

7. Andrew Luck is much more comfortable, smarter, & in control than he was last season. This offense has given Luck what seems to be a new "swagger". If we could just shore the offensive line up just a tad bit more, I think we'll be a very dangerous offense this season barring injuries.

8. Special Teams has vastly improved compared to the Buffalo game. I'm happy to see this improvement & I believe this unit will be a bright spot for us this season.

9. T.Y. Hilton should change his name to TD Hilton. He always seems to find the endzone & his hands are just oh so much better. I can tell Reggie & the jug machine have helped him this off-season. Loving his progression heading into year 2.

10. My final observation: The :colts: are heading to the playoffs again this year. NFL, look out!! :cheer:

Those are my observations from the game & looking forward to you guys feedback, inputs, & opinions. Thank you for your time Colts family :thmup:

Agreed!!!!

And we are doing this without Coby Fleener and Dwayne Allen..

Scary..

3 and 6 excite me.  A hard hitting, in-your-face defense will be so fun to watch here.  I do enjoy a well-oiled offense humming along scoring points in bunches, but I really love a hard-hitting defense that is tough to play against.  Teams tend to soften up after getting popped hard every play.  

Plus, I'd rather have Toler gambling on a pick 6 on defense over Bruce Arians gambling on another long pass on offense.

Thanks for the notes TK85.  Enjoyed them.

Gonna be a fun year...

Keep in mind the O did what they did without Allen, Fleener, Bradshaw and AC pretty much the whole game. I also would like to think Thornton will be starting at RG eventually, everyone said he looked pretty good and the guy still has a ton of room for improvement.

I absolutely cannot wait to see the offense 100% healthy playing for the whole game. I don't think the Raiders are going to have much fun playing the Colts...................less than two weeks from now!!!

Same thing can be said about the D. They have been looking good.

Keep in mind the O did what they did without Allen, Fleener, Bradshaw and AC pretty much the whole game. I also would like to think Thornton will be starting at RG eventually, everyone said he looked pretty good and the guy still has a ton of room for improvement.

I absolutely cannot wait to see the offense 100% healthy playing for the whole game. I don't think the Raiders are going to have much fun playing the Colts...................less than two weeks from now!!!

Same thing can be said about the D. They have been looking good.

I keep forgetting about the injuries. Top two tight ends and the most talented back on the roster, all on the sidelines. 

I agree on almost all points.  As a Purdue guy I can't see the Alstott/Havili comparison.  Alstott was an every down sledgehammer of a running/fullback and Havili is nowhere near that.  Be great if it happened, but I don't see it.  I'm just happy to have a fullback on the team that can contribute something. 

I look forward to cursing out Toler one second and cheering on the pick 6 a few plays later.  Going to be a blast to watch.  I also look forward to watching this offense once Dwayne Allen is back.  It's obvious the offense is missing a viable, big receiver in the middle of the field.  

We still need to adjust to a delayed blitz when we have an empty backfield. In the Browns game I don't know if Luck misread it, Pep did not account for it, or other players do not know how to adjust to it. It did not help that Reitz and Cherilus could not block their men leaving Luck with few options.

We still need to adjust to a delayed blitz when we have an empty backfield. In the Browns game I don't know if Luck misread it, Pep did not account for it, or other players do not know how to adjust to it. It did not help that Reitz and Cherilus could not block their men leaving Luck with few options.

what quarter?

Not sure since I deleted the game. I believe it was the 2nd.

1:57 to go in the 2nd Quarter....Cherilus did not get a good block, And on the delayed blitz Luck did not look to pick it up after his initial read at the LOS, Jones did not appear to read it right away either, had he read it he would have cut in much sooner, Thomas could have came back and picked up on the blitz but I dont think it was on him to do so

I agree. Through three preseason games, we're using a lot of empty backfield on 2nd and long. I prefer than to using empty backfield on third down, but there's still a pattern presenting itself. If one of those receivers is a running back or tight end, it makes sense to shift him into the backfield.

1:57 to go in the 2nd Quarter....Cherilus did not get a good block, And on the delayed blitz Luck did not look to pick it up after his initial read at the LOS, Jones did not appear to read it right away either, had he read it he would have cut in much sooner, Thomas could have came back and picked up on the blitz but I dont think it was on him to do so

Thanks for the clarification. That is something the whole team needs to work on.

I agree. Through three preseason games, we're using a lot of empty backfield on 2nd and long. I prefer than to using empty backfield on third down, but there's still a pattern presenting itself. If one of those receivers is a running back or tight end, it makes sense to shift him into the backfield.

Ill have to take a look at that, I've been more focused on blown assignments(when it clear), I do love Peps ability to create mismatches through his offense however on Linebackers, a fair share of the time I have seen linebackers mismatched on wr's

Ill have to take a look at that, I been more focused on blown assignments, I do love Peps ability to creat mismatches through his offense however on Linebackers, a fair share of the tim I have seen linebackers mismatched on wr's

I love the mismatches as well. It seems teams will have to use more DBs to counteract this. That should help the running game.