Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Will Marvin be a first-ballot hof'er? [Merge]

ColtsFanMikeC

• Replies 241
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1st ballot.

Check the one handed catch over the middle against the Titans. Marvin may be the only football player ever that could have actually made that catch......and he made so many more. He made the unbelievable catch seem....routine.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JZHaKGDYspE

(Go to 2:10 for the catch)

that catch almost got Bob Lamey a fine from the FCC. lol

Marvin Harrison? Its close. The HALL is hard on receivers but Tony Dungy is a first ballot Hall-of-Famer..

No question..won over 65% of his games.

Took Indy from the basement to the Super Bowl

Made the playoffs every year..

Played for a Super Bowl champ and helped build Tampa into a title team....

invented the Tampa-2 defense...

..and is probably the most highly-regarded living ex-coach to present day players and coaches..

..Wasnt he voted the 20th best coach of all-time by ESPN?

Tony Dungy is not a first ballot hall of famer. Bill Parcells is head and shoulders above Dungy and he didn't get in first ballot.

Personally, I always felt Dungy was a bit overrated.

Tony Dungy is not a first ballot hall of famer. Bill Parcells is head and shoulders above Dungy and he didn't get in first ballot.

Personally, I always felt Dungy was a bit overrated.

I gotta agree with BOTT on this one. HOF induction is based on superior coaching/playing not the nicest father figure of the year award.

In the words of comedian Craig Ferguson, "I look forward to your letters."  haha

Also, please don't confuse leadership life lessons with teaching proper technique either. Thank you. JMO. Tony was a great mentor, but mentoring is only a piece of the equation. Bill Parcells was a lousy communicator, but a solid X's & O's teacher. 

1st ballot.

Check the one handed catch over the middle against the Titans. Marvin may be the only football player ever that could have actually made that catch......and he made so many more. He made the unbelievable catch seem....routine.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JZHaKGDYspE

(Go to 2:10 for the catch)

That was a pretty sweet catch by Marin Harrison WH. Thanks for the reminder highlight reel.  :thmup:

Marvin is a HOF'er no doubt or something like that should be questioned. Best route runner to play the game, but his speed was incredible to compliment. Had to have triple coverage on him a few games because he would kill teams.

Jerry Rice was the best route runner to play the game.

I would love to see it.

Sure.

Marvin does have him statistically. Ward played 1 more year. Although he sat his rookie year. Games played gives Ward the edge. 217-190...However games started Ward only has 2 more. 190-188.

Marvin was part of an elite passing attack, indoors, for nearly all of his career, with THE premier QB, as well as a future potential HoF at the #2, and other good weapons.

Ward played on a run first, defense oriented outdoor team (arguably the worst field in the NFL), that had a good, not great QB, and really no other offensive weapons.

So Marvin has 100 more receptions, 2497yds, 43TDs (only 2097 more total yards 42 total TDs (Ward had a few rushes))....Marvin is the clear winner in TDs. However rec, and yards aren't really as far apart as some would think....Hines played an additional year, and his team still attempted 443 less passes (about a season for Pitt, roughly 483att avg per season for Hines career in Pitt, 558att on avg for Indy)...And now factor in that Ward is arguably the greatest blocking WR of all time, how much did that hinder Hines rec #s?

In the playoffs, Ward played 2 more games, and had more: 23rec, 298yards, and 8TDs...He is the clear winner in the playoffs. Even Indy fans know Marvin didnt show up on the playoffs....

Marvin had 8PB, and 3 AP....Ward never had an AP season, but had 4PB, AND a SB MVP.

Marvin has superior stats, a few accolades, and a SB. And has disappeared.

Ward has stats, was a renowned blocker, a few accolades, 2SB, plays for a HoF loved franchise, and is now a media member.

This race will be a lot closer than any Colts fan will care to admit. Marvin has the head start, as he retired earlier, but with Brooks, Strahan, Thomas, Dungy, Walter Jones, Bruce(Holt), Seau, Warner, Farve, TO, Faneca all avail in the next 3 years, on top of the guys still waiting like Greene, Reed, Brown, Bettis etc...The chances of the 2 being on the same ballot are pretty high.

***Fun with #s, taking Wards career avgs, and adding in the same amount of attempts (443), Marvin would only have roughly 38 more rec. 1700 more yards***

Sure.

Marvin does have him statistically. Ward played 1 more year. Although he sat his rookie year. Games played gives Ward the edge. 217-190...However games started Ward only has 2 more. 190-188.

Marvin was part of an elite passing attack, indoors, for nearly all of his career, with THE premier QB, as well as a future potential HoF at the #2, and other good weapons.

Ward played on a run first, defense oriented outdoor team (arguably the worst field in the NFL), that had a good, not great QB, and really no other offensive weapons.

So Marvin has 100 more receptions, 2497yds, 43TDs (only 2097 more total yards 42 total TDs (Ward had a few rushes))....Marvin is the clear winner in TDs. However rec, and yards aren't really as far apart as some would think....Hines played an additional year, and his team still attempted 443 less passes (about a season for Pitt, roughly 483att avg per season for Hines career in Pitt, 558att on avg for Indy)...And now factor in that Ward is arguably the greatest blocking WR of all time, how much did that hinder Hines rec #s?

In the playoffs, Ward played 2 more games, and had more: 23rec, 298yards, and 8TDs...He is the clear winner in the playoffs. Even Indy fans know Marvin didnt show up on the playoffs....

Marvin had 8PB, and 3 AP....Ward never had an AP season, but had 4PB, AND a SB MVP.

Ward has stats, was a renowned blocker, a few accolades, 2SB, plays for a HoF loved franchise, and is now a media member.

This race will be a lot closer than any Colts fan will care to admit. Marvin has the head start, as he retired earlier, but with Brooks, Strahan, Thomas, Dungy, Walter Jones, Bruce(Holt), Seau, Warner, Farve, TO, Faneca all avail in the next 3 years, on top of the guys still waiting like Greene, Reed, Brown, Bettis etc...The chances of the 2 being on the same ballot are pretty high.

***Fun with #s, taking Wards career avgs, and adding in the same amount of attempts (443), Marvin would only have roughly 38 more rec. 1700 more yards***

Nice perspective.

Ward was a great player and a great pro. Very much team-first, and his contribution as a blocker cannot be understated.

I gotta agree with BOTT on this one. HOF induction is based on superior coaching/playing not the nicest father figure of the year award.

In the words of comedian Craig Ferguson, "I look forward to your letters." haha

Also, please don't confuse leadership life lessons with teaching proper technique either. Thank you. JMO. Tony was a great mentor, but mentoring is only a piece of the equation. Bill Parcells was a lousy communicator, but a solid X's & O's teacher.

just being a nice guy doesn't win you 65% of your games. Dungy has as many rings as the Tuna

Sure.

Despite Hines playing 1 more year, his and Marvin target numbers are very close. Marvin was targeted only ~200 more times than Ward was. 

Hines: 1557

Marvin: 1790

YPT (Yards per target) 

Hines: 7.76

Marvin: 8.14

So even if they were targeted the same amount of times over the course of their career (let's use Marvin target number as a reference):

Hines: 13,890 yards. Hines would have roughly 1,000 more yards. Roughly 8 more yards per game.

Marvin: 14,580 yards

While he was a good blocker, Ward was also one dimensional. He was a pure possession receiver he struggled with anything intermediate. His average depth of catch for his entire career is 7.7 yards. Marvin beats him here as his average depth of catch is 9.9 yards. 

Not to mention that Marvin destroys him in TDs. 

As for his "blocking" I wouldn't call it being known for his great blocking (even though he was) more than I would say him being knows for taking cheap shots and repetitively being voted the dirtiest player in the league.

I would also argue that Reggie's emergence hindered Marvin. From 1999 til 2002, Marvin was targeted on average 183 times per season. He never even reached a 183 targets in any season from 2003 beyond. 

This isn't even considering that Most of Ward's career was post 2004 rule changes.

Despite Hines playing 1 more year, his and Marvin target numbers are very close. Marvin was targeted only ~200 more times than Ward was. 

YPT (Yards per target) 

So even if they were targeted the same amount of times over the course of their career (let's use Marvin target number as a reference):

Hines: 13,890 yards. Hines would have roughly 1,000 more yards. Roughly 8 more yards per game.

While he was a good blocker, Ward was also one dimensional. He was a pure possession receiver he struggled with anything intermediate. His average depth of catch for his entire career is 7.7 yards. Marvin beats him here as his average depth of catch is 9.9 yards. 

As for his "blocking" I wouldn't call it being known for his great blocking (even though he was) more than I would say him being knows for taking cheap shots and repetitively being voted the dirtiest player in the league.

I would also argue that Reggie's emergence hindered Marvin. From 1999 til 2002, Marvin was targeted on average 183 times per season. He never even reached a 183 targets in any season from 2003 beyond. 

This isn't even considering that Most of Ward's career was post 2004 rule changes.

Ward's dirtiness on the field could perhaps deter HOF voters.

In regards to Reggie hurting Harrison's production, I disagree, because you cannot base this purely on targets. Reggie alleviated a lot of the double and triple coverage the Harrison received. If you are double covered, you may still catch the ball, but it is unlikely you will get much YAC because there will always be a deep guy preventing you from doing so, in triple coverage, it is basically inpossible to get YAC, if indeed you do catch the ball.

YPT (Yards per target) 

233 more targets, and he played 1 more year? Thats a pretty large discrepancy, and would pull Ward within 690 career yards (and actually gives him a 36yard career advantage taking into account rushing and playoffs).

Sure Marvin beats him in avg depth of catch. Again, offensive design, and QB play a factor in this. Something I think we would agree that Marvin had the benefit in...

Marvins TD totals are the only thing keeping this from being a straight up slugfest between the 2. Because he clearly has a massive edge in that catehory. Although one thing I would like to see is the amount of TDs Indoors/Outdoors between the two. Considering all of Hines home, and div games were played outdoors. 

Ward's dirtiness on the field could perhaps deter HOF voters.

In regards to Reggie hurting Harrison's production, I disagree, because you cannot base this purely on targets. Reggie alleviated a lot of the double and triple coverage the Harrison received. If you are double covered, you may still catch the ball, but it is unlikely you will get much YAC because there will always be a deep guy preventing you from doing so, in triple coverage, it is basically inpossible to get YAC, if indeed you do catch the ball.

I can agree with you point, but when I go and look at the stats, they don't really back this up. From 1996-2002, Marvin averaged 3.34 YAC. From 2003 onward he averaged 2.95 YAC. 

233 more targets, and he played 1 more year? Thats a pretty large discrepancy, and would pull Ward within 690 career yards (and actually gives him a 36yard career advantage taking into account rushing and playoffs).

Sure Marvin beats him in avg depth of catch. Again, offensive design, and QB play a factor in this. Something I think we would agree that Marvin had the benefit in...

Marvins TD totals are the only thing keeping this from being a straight up slugfest between the 2. Because he clearly has a massive edge in that catehory. Although one thing I would like to see is the amount of TDs Indoors/Outdoors between the two. Considering all of Hines home, and div games were played outdoors. 

indoors he has 49 catches for 580 yards and 8 TDs in 12 games.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/players/4323/splits?year=career

Marvin for comparison:

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/players/3514/splits?year=career

I can agree with you point, but when I go and look at the stats, they don't really back this up. From 1996-2002, Marvin averaged 3.34 YAC. From 2003 onward he averaged 2.95 YAC. 

Interesting... although that could be down to the routes he ran, impact of running games on where safeties played and QB ball placement.You could of course make the point that it is much harder to catch the ball in double/triple coverage as well, even if he was being targetted.

Regardless, comparing Ward and Harrison is never going to be apples to apples even if they were both primary receivers. They were different players on very different teams and were both successful in their own right. You could make a case for either of them.

As a receiver, anyone would have preferred to be in Harrison's situation, and Ward was in a team that had a lot of success, and showed up on the big occasions. So it would not be illogical to say Ward should be in contention with Harrison.

I have a soft spot for Ward, no one fought harder for the ball.

indoors he has 49 catches for 580 yards and 8 TDs in 12 games.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/players/4323/splits?year=career

Marvin for comparison:

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/players/3514/splits?year=career

Wow! That is not even close. I didnt expect the gap to be that large. In 14 years Hines Ward played in 12 games indoors!?!

Ward had 92% of his games outdoors, 95% of his rec, 95% of his yards, 90% of his TDs. 

Marvin had 45% of his games outdoors, 45% of his rec, 43% of his yards, 38% of his TDs. 

That is astonishing. 

Ward played 128 games where it was raining/windy/or under 40degrees, Marvin played in 73. The equivalence  of 3.5 seasons. Crazy. 

Harrison and Brown are on a different level than Reed statistically. Harrison and Brown are pretty much even in yards and receptions, and Marvin has 28 more TDs than Brown. Brown played 4 more years than Harrison, which make Marvin's numbers look even stronger. Brown does have a leg-up in longevity. Marvin may not get in next year, but I think he has the strongest resume of the three taking everything into consideration.

I dont see Andre Reed as a Hall of Famer..

Its not that close with Marvin and Tim Brown.       Brown ran back kicks as well...he led the league in kick returns.

Tim Brown has thousands of kick return yards.....  he should have been in by now

I wouldnt be upset with Brown over Marvin.  I would be happy with Brown AND Marvin going in next year.

But its close with Marvin...

One factor that is overlooked in this Marvin/Ward comparison is how the undeniable attention that the Steelers run game...AND THEIR WILLINGNESS TO USE IT....benefitted the coverage Ward had to face.

For Marvin it was quite the opposite....unless we want to rewrite history and somehow claim the Colts with Peyton Manning under center weren't a pass-first offense.

Defenses expected us to pass....we most often DID pass....they knew full well who the primary target was most of the time...and Marvin STILL had the opposing CBs covering crapping their pants and shaking their heads, which those DBs often admitted.

There is more to this than pure stats....there is the overarching philosophy of the offense they played in. Hines Ward fit the Steelers offense perfectly for what they did and rang up a splendid career. But he was unmistakably aided by an offense that not only ran the ball but physically punished defenses in the process and commanded more attention from opposing secondaries.

One factor that is overlooked in this Marvin/Ward comparison is how the undeniable attention that the Steelers run game...AND THEIR WILLINGNESS TO USE IT....benefitted the coverage Ward had to face.

For Marvin it was quite the opposite....unless we want to rewrite history and somehow claim the Colts with Peyton Manning under center weren't a pass-first offense.

Defenses expected us to pass....we most often DID pass....they knew full well who the primary target was most of the time...and Marvin STILL had the opposing CBs covering crapping their pants and shaking their heads, which those DBs often admitted.

There is more to this than pure stats....there is the overarching philosophy of the offense they played in. Hines Ward fit the Steelers offense perfectly for what they did and rang up a splendid career. But he was unmistakably aided by an offense that not only ran the ball but physically punished defenses in the process and commanded more attention from opposing secondaries.

So Ward was aided because they ran the ball, but Marvin suffered because we threw the ball? 

I dont see Andre Reed as a Hall of Famer..

Someone said on NFL Network the other day that Jim Kelly, Marv Levy and Thurman Thomas are all HOFers. Why wouldn't Andre Reed be? Wasn't he just as big a part of their success as the rest?

If I had to choose between Marvin Harrison, Tim Brown, Hines Ward and Andre Reed, I think Reed would be third on the list for the HOF. But I don't see why he doesn't belong.

Regarding all the statistical analysis (which is bordering on metadata at this point), and who played indoors or outdoors, or which team threw the ball or ran the ball, etc., I don't think any of that is going to come up when the voters meet. Maybe some of it should, but for the most part, it's going to be about the raw numbers, the status the player held when he was in the league, his peak years, and how he is remembered now that his career is over.

I think the numbers, playing status and peak years favor Harrison easily. He was a more dynamic receiver, he reached a peak that Ward never did, and he sustained that statistical peak longer than Ward sustained his.

Ward gets the edge in how he's remembered, not only because he was always more personable and engaging (and is now a member of the media, while Marvin has disappeared), but also because he was never implicated in a murder. They say that stuff doesn't matter, but it does. Ward also has two Super Bowls, and a Super Bowl MVP, and was statistically better in the postseason than Marvin.

Both have their merits. I think Marvin holds an edge over Ward, and I don't think that's homerism. End of the day, I'm not sure it matters. Ward isn't eligible four another four years. Hopefully Marvin isn't still waiting when Ward is under consideration.

What isn't being considered is that Ward is certainly going to experience a precipitous fall in all of the meaningful categories for a receiver by the time he's eligible.  He's coming out of a pass happy era, and he won't be top 10 in receptions and probably won't be top 25 in yardage, won't be top 15 in receiving tds, won't be top 40 in total tds.  

Marvin Harrison clearly has a greater peak and numbers that will keep him in the top 10 of most of the important receiving categories. 

He has seven thousand fewer all purpose yards then Tim Brown, and isn't better in any significant statistical category for receivers. 

Hines Ward has an uphill battle to overcome all of the above.  I'd put him in the Donovan McNabb category of "You can make an argument, but..."

So Ward was aided because they ran the ball, but Marvin suffered because we threw the ball? 

Marvin didn't suffer anything....but he commanded and defeated more concentrated defensive attention than Ward ever justified....and that was due largely to the emphasis, the physical nature and the effectiveness of the Steeler rushing attack as well as Marvin's greater threat at the WR position.

Does a solid and consistent run game not help a team's WRs?

The entire philosophy of the Steelers offense for a long time was premised on the run game....a very physical brand of run game that would have to cause an opposing secondary to loosen somewhat against the pass and play up in run support, or at the very least be distracted from their coverage. The Steelers deserve plenty of credit for maximizing both facets of the offense and Ward rang up a nice career for sure.

The Colts offensive philosophy we know was quite different and Marvin was Manning's primary target, and treated as such, for the bulk of his career....and STILL excelled.

Don't get me wrong....I don't disregard Ward's achievements....but the backdrop of how he was able to reach them had much more to do with the system he played in rather than natural WR skills and talent, which Harrison clearly had more of.

I just don't think stats vs stats can tell the story between two very different WRs who operated in two very different offenses. Nor should they be measured head to head in HoF consideration.

http://www.nfl.com/halloffame/story/0ap1000000226383/article/michael-strahan-charles-haley-headline-next-50-hall-of-famers

This is a guessing game done by Elliot Harrison of NFL.com

Class of 2014

1) Michael Strahan
2) Charles Haley
3) Derrick Brooks
4) Marvin Harrison
5) Walter Jones
6) Don Coryell

that is his class for next year. notice marv is number four out of six. maybe the guy just put him on there cuz they have the same last name;)

also if you look at the class of 2020 that he did. he has peyton and reggie both going in as first ballots.

http://www.nfl.com/halloffame/story/0ap1000000226383/article/michael-strahan-charles-haley-headline-next-50-hall-of-famers

This is a guessing game done by Elliot Harrison of NFL.com

Class of 2014

1) Michael Strahan2) Charles Haley3) Derrick Brooks4) Marvin Harrison5) Walter Jones6) Don Coryell

that is his class for next year. notice marv is number four out of six. maybe the guy just put him on there cuz they have the same last name;)

also if you look at the class of 2020 that he did. he has peyton and reggie both going in as first ballots.

Walter Jones should be #1 on that list. Many consider him, not Johnathon Ogden, the best LT of that era. But Elliot Harrison made the list so......

Its not that close with Marvin and Tim Brown.       Brown ran back kicks as well...he led the league in kick returns.

Tim Brown has thousands of kick return yards.....  he should have been in by now

I wouldnt be upset with Brown over Marvin.  I would be happy with Brown AND Marvin going in next year.

But its close with Marvin...

Even more reason why Marv's TDs (volume and per season) are very impressive. Brown may have additional yardage b/c of return game, but the sheer TD numbers weigh heavily in Marvin's favor because of this and Brown's longer career.

Even more reason why Marv's TDs (volume and per season) are very impressive. Brown may have additional yardage b/c of return game, but the sheer TD numbers weigh heavily in Marvin's favor because of this and Brown's longer career.

Brown also spent most of his career playing with mediocre quarterbacks.....that has to be taken into consideration.