Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Jaws' QB Countdown well underway....

NewColtsFan

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok well none of the guys ahead of him are near 43 TDs either. Like I said his adjusted INT percentage is lower than Flacco's. Ryan has a case being ahead of him though.

I stopped taking this list seriously when Matt Schaub was ranked 9th.

Yeah those 43 TDs are eye-popping. This is why I hate these lists. I mean who cares given 2012 is over and all the teams have made changes going into 2013. I think the Saints could be a sleeper in the NFC as Payton is back and I think Brees has something to prove.

So Flacco beat the Broncos and Patriots defenses.

BTW this is why I hate when people say Flacco outplayed Brady the last two AFC games. While it is true that he did, Brady was facing a much tougher defense while Flacco got to carve up the worse secondary in the league and still managed to lose the first one to Brady. Makes my blood boil but I get it.

BTW this is why I hate when people say Flacco outplayed Brady the last two AFC games. While it is true that he did, Brady was facing a much tougher defense while Flacco got to carve up the worse secondary in the league and still managed to lose the first one to Brady. Makes my blood boil but I get it.

So you're saying Julian Edleman isnt a good corner?

I guess I was giving Jaws too much credit. Flacco was already too high, putting him in the top four (or higher, let's see what happens) is a joke.

If I had to choose a QB right now, and it's between Flacco and Ryan, or Flacco and Brees, I'm not taking Flacco. I was being generous in giving Flacco the nod over Roethlisberger, but that can be justified (somewhat) by considering Roethlisberger's injury situation.

I get that there are differences in opinion with the rest of these guys, but it's just insane that anyone would consider Flacco to be an elite quarterback. 

Though he's one of the most respected analysts, at the end of the day, Jaws is just another talking head with an opinion.  there are dozens of QB rankings out there.  wouldn't put to much stock into a list that means absolutely nothing.

God I'm so ready for football to start. 

Though he's one of the most respected analysts, at the end of the day, Jaws is just another talking head with an opinion.  there are dozens of QB rankings out there.  wouldn't put to much stock into a list that means absolutely nothing.

God I'm so ready for football to start.

I don't agree with all his rankings, but I give Jaws much more respect than some talking head.

Are you using the little image link button? If so, I think that's whats doing it. It should come out fine if you just copy/paste.

I didn't think you could copy/paste pics on here? I will try that next time

I don't agree with all his rankings, but I give Jaws much more respect than some talking head.

Yes, we all can pick nits of his picks, but there is no question Jaws has performed the job, and now studied and analyzed much more tape on these QB guys than any of us here.

I think I'll say this again....    for the 3rd,  maybe even 4th time....

If you go to the original link I provided in the first post and click on the name of the QB,  you can see the script which will explain why Jaws believes what he believes.

That certainly beats just seeing the result and not understanding the reasoning behind it.    I'm not impressed with someone who simply says,   "I don't agree....  he's crazy....   lol....   this list has no credibility"....  yada, yada, yada,    but doesn't take the time to simply read what Jaws had to say and the argument he makes.

Sorry but if it's just an opinion,  I'll take the one of a pro over a fan most any day....

And I say that as someone who has disagreed with some of Jaws' decisions....   I just don't get as worked up about as some here do....

Just some food for thought.....

I'd listen to his reasoning but it's probably something dumb like, "he's a winner!"

The transcript hasn't been loaded up yet for #'s 7, 6, 5....   I'll post some later if you like....

But thought you might want to read what Jaws had to say about the Colt's QB.....   some guy named Luck.....

Jaworski ranks Indianapolis Colts quarterback Andrew Luck at No. 10. Transcribed analysis: 

“It’s time to get the party started. My top 10. No. 10 in my quarterback big board is Andrew Luck. Luck was easily the most NFL ready of the rookie quarterbacks in 2012. And it showed up early in the season. 

“How about week two against the Vikings? This touchdown to Reggie Wayne was absolutely special for so many reasons. Let me take you through the play from Luck’s perspective. There was a lot to process. 

“Start with the safeties. The pre-snap movement ended with a single-high look. I guarantee you that’s what Luck read. Watch what happened at the snap of the ball: it went from single-high to Cover 2. Luck had to recognize that and mentally adjust. Wayne’s inside seam – dead against single-high – is an excellent route against two-deep coverage. Great read. Great throw. 

“There’s more. From the end zone, you see the quick pressure in Luck’s face. He had to move, and he’s still set. Sticking those cleats in the ground and driving the football. That is big-time quarterbacking.

“Luck has all the attributes I look for. Start with arm strength. He’s an easy downfield thrower. I love his pocket movement – at times so smooth you forget he’s six-foot-four and 235 pounds. Luck is as tough as any quarterback in the NFL. His strength is remarkable. His ability to shed defenders, keep plays alive and deliver the football is extraordinary. You have to be able to throw with bodies around you – out of a muddied pocket – from different platforms and arm angles. Luck is outstanding at it. Along with that, he has great vision. He sees the field with clarity. 

“That touchdown to LaVon Brazill was all about vision. Luck wanted Wayne on the corner route from the inside. As Luck was moving away from the front-side pressure, he saw both the safety and the corner react to Wayne. That opened up Brazill for the deep ball. Oh by the way, that was about 50 yards in the air with pinpoint accuracy.

“I would not be surprised if Luck moved further up my big board after his second season. He possesses all the traits necessary to be a very special NFL quarterback.”

The transcript hasn't been loaded up yet for #'s 7, 6, 5.... I'll post some later if you like....

But thought you might want to read what Jaws had to say about the Colt's QB..... some guy named Luck.....

Jaworski ranks Indianapolis Colts quarterback Andrew Luck at No. 10. Transcribed analysis:

“It’s time to get the party started. My top 10. No. 10 in my quarterback big board is Andrew Luck. Luck was easily the most NFL ready of the rookie quarterbacks in 2012. And it showed up early in the season.

“How about week two against the Vikings? This touchdown to Reggie Wayne was absolutely special for so many reasons. Let me take you through the play from Luck’s perspective. There was a lot to process.

“Start with the safeties. The pre-snap movement ended with a single-high look. I guarantee you that’s what Luck read. Watch what happened at the snap of the ball: it went from single-high to Cover 2. Luck had to recognize that and mentally adjust. Wayne’s inside seam – dead against single-high – is an excellent route against two-deep coverage. Great read. Great throw.

“There’s more. From the end zone, you see the quick pressure in Luck’s face. He had to move, and he’s still set. Sticking those cleats in the ground and driving the football. That is big-time quarterbacking.

“Luck has all the attributes I look for. Start with arm strength. He’s an easy downfield thrower. I love his pocket movement – at times so smooth you forget he’s six-foot-four and 235 pounds. Luck is as tough as any quarterback in the NFL. His strength is remarkable. His ability to shed defenders, keep plays alive and deliver the football is extraordinary. You have to be able to throw with bodies around you – out of a muddied pocket – from different platforms and arm angles. Luck is outstanding at it. Along with that, he has great vision. He sees the field with clarity.

“That touchdown to LaVon Brazill was all about vision. Luck wanted Wayne on the corner route from the inside. As Luck was moving away from the front-side pressure, he saw both the safety and the corner react to Wayne. That opened up Brazill for the deep ball. Oh by the way, that was about 50 yards in the air with pinpoint accuracy.

“I would not be surprised if Luck moved further up my big board after his second season. He possesses all the traits necessary to be a very special NFL quarterback.”

Solid breakdown.

Still, the only way he could put Joe Flacco above Drew Bress is if he goes "he's a winner, yadda, yadda, yadda" route. I'd be interested to read it when it's up.

Flacco ahead of Ryan? Jaws has lost it

I agree. Like Gavin said, "it's amazing what a SB ring will do for a QB's annual ranking." I'm not sold on the Falcons confidence wise in the Playoffs, but I do respect Matt Ryan & I know how dangerous & accurate he is will the ball in his hands like a long ranger sniper 1 mile away from their intended target. Ryan rarely misses. 

I agree. Like Gavin said, "it's amazing what a SB ring will do for a QB's annual ranking." I'm not sold on the Falcons confidence wise in the Playoffs, but I do respect Matt Ryan & I know how dangerous & accurate he is will the ball in his hands like a long ranger sniper 1 mile away from their intended target. Ryan rarely misses.

The Falcons had some bad playoff matchups in the past, but I thought they were pretty impressive this year. They should have beat the 49ers in the NFC Championship game, but would should coulda......

The Falcons had some bad playoff matchups in the past, but I thought they were pretty impressive this year. They should have beat the 49ers in the NFC Championship game, but would should coulda......

Yup, the Falcons did get a victory against Seattle in the Playoffs & they deserve credit for getting that post season monkey off their back. Plus, I like Mike Nolan as their DC. I have doubted this team in the past, but RB Steven Jackson could be the missing piece to a deep Playoffs run this season. 

I prefer Flacco over Ryan.

I prefer Brees over Flacco+Ryan.

Brees is money when it comes to closing out big games no doubt Jules, but it's time for Matt Ryan to make his presence be known & hang with the elite QBs. I've been critical of his intestinal fortitude & mental toughness in the past, but SW1 believes Ryan is ready to take the next step as a leader. Brady & Manning won't be in this league forever. Someone will have to take the QB mantle when they leave this great game...

Brees is money when it comes to closing out big games no doubt Jules, but it's time for Matt Ryan to make his presence be known & hang with the elite QBs. I've been critical of his intestinal fortitude & mental toughness in the past, but SW1 believes Ryan is ready to take the next step as a leader. Brady & Manning won't be in this league forever. Someone will have to take the QB mantle when they leave this great game...

Yeah that dudes in Indy already. ;)

Jaws showed how Flacco carved up the 49er D in the superbowl, and created (big) plays with his mobility (who ever thought Flacco had mobility?) So many here just thought he only had a cannon and tossed it up for T. Smith or A. Boldin to bail him out, or handed off to Ray Rice.  Well, there appears to be truth there to us, but Jaws tape breakdown sees more, and in crunch time.  He admits the climb from #9 to #4 on this list was post season play, especially Super Bowl.

Jaws showed how Flacco carved up the 49er D in the superbowl, and created (big) plays with his mobility (who ever thought Flacco had mobility?) So many here just thought he only had a cannon and tossed it up for T. Smith or A. Boldin to bail him out, or handed off to Ray Rice. Well, there appears to be truth there to us, but Jaws tape breakdown sees more, and in crunch time. He admits the climb from #9 to #4 on this list was post season play, especially Super Bowl.

Just speaking for myself, I don't think Flacco just threw the ball up. He played great in the playoffs. Sure, he got some luck here and there, but it takes some lucky breaks to get to and win a Super Bowl (which is part of the reason it's not fair to blame the QB exclusively). Flacco deserves a ton of credit for his postseason. And that goes back to the 2011 AFCCG, when he played really well and just didn't get the breaks (dropped TD pass, missed field goal).

However, I can't judge a QB just on his last four games. It doesn't make sense to me. I'd be making myself a prisoner of the moment. Those games matter, absolutely, otherwise Flacco probably wouldn't be top ten. But they don't overrule everything he's been throughout his career. They don't even overrule his mostly mediocre regular season.

When I look at Flacco's tools and abilities, along with the role he plays for his team, I don't see an elite QB. I definitely don't see him as being better than Matt Ryan or Drew Brees. Give him credit for his postseason, because he deserves it. But let's not forget that QBs play a huge role for their teams all season long.

Lastly, I respect someone like Jaws who puts in the filmwork and knows what he's looking at. Doesn't mean I can't disagree with him.

Yes, we can disagree.  Jaws put it out there, and put his name on it.  Next year will either prove him a soothsayer or just riding the yearly tide.

Personally, after so many post season heartaches, I now place higher proportion of what the field general can do with his team in the post season than just regular season.  Its a team game. If Flacco continues his post season success after getting his huge payout, (and thus cannibalizing team talent), then what is the 'next excuse' ?

Brian Dawkins expects Flacco to succeed next year after "betting on himself" and it paying off.  He feels Flacco has a chip on his shoulder (hmmm, another A. Rodgers syndrome QB?) and exudes much more confidence now.

Yes, we can disagree.  Jaws put it out there, and put his name on it.  Next year will either prove him a soothsayer or just riding the yearly tide.

Doesn't matter what happens next year. He's just riding the yearly tide right now. If the Niners had pulled out a win at the end of the Super Bowl (which they almost did), Flacco woudn't be #4 on Jaws list. Same postseason, same player, just a different finish -- something entirely out of Flacco's control -- and he'd be down around #7. JMO.

I think it would be great if Flacco continues playing at that level. Good for him. I just don't think he's earned that high of a ranking  yet.

Personally, after so many post season heartaches, I now place higher proportion of what the field general can do with his team in the post season than just regular season.  Its a team game. If Flacco continues his post season success after getting his huge payout, (and thus cannibalizing team talent), then what is the 'next excuse' ?

Not sure what you mean here. I'm giving Flacco credit for his postseason play. I just don't think that four playoff games overrules five seasons of mediocrity. Show me more.

By the way, I don't think Flacco's contract cannibalized team talent. Flacco's 2013 cap hit is $6.8m, which is less than it was in 2012. It goes up to $14.8 in 2014, which still isn't all that bad. The Ravens let some players walk, but that's not because of Flacco's contract. And they were still major players in free agency -- Dumervil, Huff, Spears, Canty, etc. And they still have some cap room left.

Brian Dawkins expects Flacco to succeed next year after "betting on himself" and it paying off.  He feels Flacco has a chip on his shoulder (hmmm, another A. Rodgers syndrome QB?) and exudes much more confidence now.

Flacco still has lots to prove, in my eyes. His postseason did a lot already, but not enough for me to think he's better than Drew Brees or Matt Ryan. Like I said earlier, I'd take either of them over Flacco if I was selecting a QB for my team. Unconditionally.

Joe Flacco comes in at #4. Glad to see he's getting the recognition he deserves, he's a very talented quarterback. He's just not better than Ryan, Brees (of all people), Manning and Roethlisberger. Bottom of the top 10 seems better. Jaws doesn't seem like the guy that would do this, but maybe he's looking for attention. I don't think that's the case, and I hope it's not.

I think if anything, Brees should be praised more for what he did last year. He was a part of a team that had a horrible defense, 2 different interim coaches during the year, AND he still put up 5100 yards, 43 TDs and a 96 passer rating. Granted he had the most interceptions, but look at the amount of times he had to throw. If you can do that with all the crap that happened in NO last year, he deserves a top 4 spot in my opinion.

Joe Flacco was great during the playoffs, but I can't say that that alone could be used as a reason for why he's better than Brees. We're talking about a guy who was inconsistent during the season, and was not in the top 10 for any of the major passing categories and had help from his friends. Can't say the same about Brees, but to Flacco's credit he did win more games. 

A bit of a baffling move on Jaws' part, as Brees put up better numbers with everything working against him. However the Super Bowl win does help a lot. 

Solid breakdown.

Still, the only way he could put Joe Flacco above Drew Bress is if he goes "he's a winner, yadda, yadda, yadda" route. I'd be interested to read it when it's up.

Just passing it along....   ESPN has now caught up and loaded all the transcripts up to the current point of Flacco at #4.   And, for the record,   I don't agree with this call....   I'm just not too bothered by it at this point....   Anyway....  here's Jaws' reasoning....

Baltimore Ravens Quarterback Joe Flacco Ranked No. 4 on Jaws’ QB Countdown  

Jaworski ranks Baltimore Ravens quarterback Joe Flacco at No. 4. Transcribed analysis: 

“Super Bowl champion Joe Flacco is the fourth-rated quarterback on my big board. A year ago, I had Flacco at No. 9. Many disagreed. All I heard last summer was that Flacco needed to take the next step. 

“I guess those people forgot about this throw in the AFC championship game.  It was as good a throw as you could make in a high-pressure situation. It would have been the game winner.  Lee Evans’ drop did not change what Flacco did.  What it changed was the perception of it. 

“So what did Flacco do in 2012?  He won four consecutive playoff games, throwing 11 touchdown passes without an interception. 

“Following the Miracle of Mile High, Flacco – for the second consecutive season – outplayed Tom Brady in the AFC championship game in Foxborough. 

“Flacco was outstanding in the Super Bowl.  His ability to make downfield throws off movement was a deciding factor in the game.  Few think of Flacco as a mobile quarterback, but his functional mobility created explosive, game-changing plays.

“Joe Flacco is now a Super Bowl champion.  That counts an awful lot in my evaluation of quarterbacks.  That is why he jumped from No. 9 to No. 4 in my quarterback rankings.”

So as expected the argument is Flacco put together a great 4 game stretch to win a SB then that makes him the 4th best QB in the league? He made some great throws no question but I dont care who you are or what your reputation is, arguing that Joe Flacco, I repeat......Joe Flacco is the 4th best QB in the league will get ya laughed at and make your opinion a little less meaningful(I still do value Jaws opinion a great deal, just not this one, I love his film breakddowns) when it comes to evaluating what a great QB is

So as expected the argument is Flacco put together a great 4 game stretch to win a SB then that makes him the 4th best QB in the league? He made some great throws no question but I dont care who you are or what your reputation is, arguing that Joe Flacco, I repeat......Joe Flacco is the 4th best QB in the league will get ya laughed at and make your opinion a little less meaningful(I still do value Jaws opinion a great deal, just not this one, I love his film breakddowns) when it comes to evaluating what a great QB is

I have a tough time disagreeing with it. Again this is based on 2012 and Joe won the division with an aging and injured defense for most of the season and then put up stunning numbers in the playoffs. Hard not to give the guy his due.

I have a tough time disagreeing with it. Again this is based on 2012 and Joe won the division with an aging and injured defense for most of the season and then put up stunning numbers in the playoffs. Hard not to give the guy his due.

Since you're our resident Patriots guest....    I wanted to share with you that this morning,  Jaws made Tom Brady #3....

Peyton and Rodgers are left.     Personally,  I would've made Peyton 3 and Brady 2....   but that's just me....