Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Super Bowl memories...just fodder for discussion

stat2883

Its the offseason...so yeah.

I was rewatching a couple older games and got to thinking about how I felt when I was watching them unfold live.

There are several particular plays and images that readily stand out, such as Montana's pass to Taylor in SB 23, or Dyson coming one yard short in SB 34. But I think one of the games that that really stands out from front to back (there are many) was SB 25. That was a good contrast in teams with two very different styles. I was pulling for Buffalo but when Norwood's kick sailed right, I just felt sick for them. I still remember that game pretty clearly...and Whitney Houston could sing too. :)

So, what are some of your best/worst memories of a super bowl? Given the audience, I can about imagine 2006 and 2009 being among the best and worst respectively. ;)

I remember that Dyson play like it was yesterday, I was rooting for the Titans that game. I actually got a real sick feeling watching him come 1 yard short.......Cant believe missed being a SB champion by 1 yard.........My first superbowl, 1996, Cowboys vs Steelers

That Patriots/Rams game was one of them I watched again today. That was the last game I watched with my family back home before moving out of South Dakota. I wanted the Rams to win that one, but wasn't heartbroken or anything. You could see the writing on the wall for Bledsoe that season.

--technically the Ice Bowl wasn't the super bowl :P ...but it just as well have been those first couple years.

My first superbowl, 1996, Cowboys vs Steelers

I was going for Pitt all the way....I was ready to knock my TV over after those two Larry Brown INTs - practically gift-wrapped. Loved me some Steeler D and Barry Foster and Slash. I've met Greg Lloyd a couple times after his Steeler days too, so that just adds to it.

My first game that I can recall bits and pieces of is the Dolphins and 49ers after the 1984 season - loved Dan Marino. First game I remember in its entirety is SB 22 (skins/broncos) and that 35 point explosion in the 2nd quarter - and Doug Williams making a little history on the side. I've since watched all the games multiple times...bit of a SB junkie ;)

I was going for Pitt all the way....I was ready to knock my TV over after those two Larry Brown INTs - practically gift-wrapped. Loved me some Steeler D and Barry Foster and Slash. I've met Greg Lloyd a couple times after his Steeler days too, so that just adds to it.

My first game that I can recall bits and pieces of is the Dolphins and 49ers after the 1984 season - loved Dan Marino. First game I remember in its entirety is SB 22 (skins/broncos) and that 35 point explosion in the 2nd quarter - and Doug Williams making a little history on the side. I've since watched all the games multiple times...bit of a SB junkie ;)

Im not exactly sure when my first game ever was...Slept since then, It might have been vs the Bills in '95

I remember SB 17 when the Skins played the Dolphins and watching John Riggins score on the fourth and inches play. It looked like he was going to get tackled in the backfield as a guy was trying to pull him down by the shirt but he broke free and ran left around the line all the way to the end zone. The Skins are my favoirte team behind the Pats and I remember being so happy.

I also remember Doug Williams amazing second quarter that will never be topped against Denver in SB 22. Maybe the best quarter ever played in the history of football by a journey man QB. Just loved it.

Of course all of Brady's miracle plays that won us SBs and David Tyree's catch that still haunts me in my dreams.

Also Peyton pick six just because I didn't believe it when I saw it. I really believed the Colts were going to score on that drive just becaus the game was so back and forth. I remember being bummed up about no OT.

Also Peyton pick six just because I didn't believe it when I saw it. I really believed the Colts were going to score on that drive just becaus the game was so back and forth. I remember being bummed up about no OT.

yeah I wanted Peyton to get another ring there, but by the end I couldn't help but be pretty happy for the Saints.

as for Patriot Games (pun intended), I was pulling for them in SB 31 against the Packers, but it just wasn't meant to be. However, I did call Desmond Howard winning MVP before the game if you can believe that. :)

I remember SB 17 when the Skins played the Dolphins and watching John Riggins score on the fourth and inches play. It looked like he was going to get tackled in the backfield as a guy was trying to pull him down by the shirt but he broke free and ran left around the line all the way to the end zone. The Skins are my favoirte team behind the Pats and I remember being so happy.

I also remember Doug Williams amazing second quarter that will never be topped against Denver in SB 22. Maybe the best quarter ever played in the history of football by a journey man QB. Just loved it.

Of course all of Brady's miracle plays that won us SBs and David Tyree's catch that still haunts me in my dreams.

I remember that quarter with Doug Williams. It was pretty amazing. Was good to see Riggins finally get there too.

My favorite Colts SB memory was when Kelvin Hayden got the pick six to seal the deal for the Colts vs the Bears.

My favorite non-Colts SB memory was when Plaxico Burress put an end to the 19-0 QUEST of the Pats by catching the Eli Manning TD pass. :)

My favorite SB memory was watching the Colts kicker( I believe David Lee) jumping up and down after the winning kick in Super Bowl V. I hated(and still do) the Cowboys. :jump:  :jump:

was actually Jim O'Brien....about the only noteworthy thing he did in a short career :)

The fridge plowing into the endzone....at the expense of a Walter Payton TD. Damn!

Minus the Colts, Jack Squirek's pick six just before halftime vs the Redskins.....suck it Theismann

That and Marcus Allen gashing them for a 70-something yard run. Raiders ran them right out of town that game.

...any of Lynn Swann's catches....dude averaged 40 yards per catch in SB 10....and now that makes me think of that pass bouncing off Jackie Smith's (Cowboys) chest in the endzone during SB 13 (Steelers went on to win)

Tyree's helmet catch! good day to be a patriot hater

That's probably my most vivid memory of the more recent games....that and Santonio Holmes (Steelers) tip-toe TD catch against the Cardinals

....or that pick-6 by Harrison right before halftime of the same game. That Steelers/Cardinals game was a good one. I was rooting for Pitt but had a big soft spot for the Cardinals. Larry Fitzgerald was a beast that postseason. I still think he's right there with Calvin Johnson.

My favorite Colts SB memory was when Kelvin Hayden got the pick six to seal the deal for the Colts vs the Bears.

My favorite non-Colts SB memory was when Plaxico Burress put an end to the 19-0 QUEST of the Pats by catching the Eli Manning TD pass. :)

These are two of my favorites as well... I was about  to type the same, instead  I just copied you.. ;)

That's probably my most vivid memory of the more recent games....that and Santonio Holmes (Steelers) tip-toe TD catch against the Cardinals

....or that pick-6 by Harrison right before halftime of the same game. That Steelers/Cardinals game was a good one. I was rooting for Pitt but had a big soft spot for the Cardinals. Larry Fitzgerald was a beast that postseason. I still think he's right there with Calvin Johnson.

was actually Jim O'Brien....about the only noteworthy thing he did in a short career :)

The fridge plowing into the endzone....at the expense of a Walter Payton TD. darn!

Yeah I still despise Ditka over not getting Sweetness his TD in the super bowl. Then he traded all the draft picks for Williams at New Orleans. The wedding dress and the dreadlocks just made me ill. 

The 85 Bears SB...That stout, menacing defense & "Sweetness" AKA RB Walter Payton #34...The "Refrigerator" Perry & QB Jim McMahon...

What I remember the most was Ditka snubbing Payton and running Perry for a TD. I don't think Sweetness ever got over that snub.