Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

My observations at mini camp today

Franklin County

Just got back home and had a great day at LOS.

First off Andrew Luck was more comfortable and in control more than he was last year as a rookie. He went through his reads and checked down when he needed to Ballard. Didnt try to force feed the ball to anyone. A+ for him. He hit Reggie midstride for about 65 yards right in his hands. Beautiful long ball.                                                                  

DHB has very good hands (unlike what we all have been hearing here) and made alot of very good catches in traffic. He is VERY fast and physical. He looks like a #1 receiver. A+

Toler had a nice pick on Luck and is fast to the ball, covered like a real NFL corner should and left me feeling like we a pretty well set at corner. Barring any injuries.A+

Davis is Davis a true #1  A+

Landry is a freaking huge MONSTER. He reads the QBs eyes and breaks on the ball fast and covers very good in the passing game A+

Kerwynn Williams is a speed ball, hit the holes fast then turns on the burners. WOW he can fly.  He would be a great returner on special teams.

Brazill worked alot on returns and looked very good doing it. Also have alot of good catches in the passing game. Looks much improved from last year.

Whalen looked good in the passing game. Kid has great hands. Just not alot of speed there. But runs pretty good routes.

Alli in all we are a lot better off then we were last year all over the field. Both sides of the ball look very good for this early in the year. Not much rust on anyone.

The AFC South just got turned up a notch with this off season. We are going to shock some neah sayers this year. 

This is only my opinion on what I saw today. Hope this helps some.

First off Andrew Luck was more comfortable and in control more than he was last year as a rookie. He went through his reads and checked down when he needed to Ballard. Didnt try to force feed the ball to anyone. A+ for him. He hit Reggie midstride for about 65 yards right in his hands. Beautiful long ball.                                                                  

DHB has very good hands (unlike what we all have been hearing here) and made alot of very good catches in traffic. He is VERY fast and physical. He looks like a #1 receiver. A+

Toler had a nice pick on Luck and is fast to the ball, covered like a real NFL corner should and left me feeling like we a pretty well set at corner. Barring any injuries.A+

Landry is a freaking huge MONSTER. He reads the QBs eyes and breaks on the ball fast and covers very good in the passing game A+

Kerwynn Williams is a speed ball, hit the holes fast then turns on the burners. WOW he can fly.  He would be a great returner on special teams.

Brazill worked alot on returns and looked very good doing it. Also have alot of good catches in the passing game. Looks much improved from last year.

Whalen looked good in the passing game. Kid has great hands. Just not alot of speed there. But runs pretty good routes.

Alli in all we are a lot better off then we were last year all over the field. Both sides of the ball look very good for this early in the year. Not much rust on anyone.

The AFC South just got turned up a notch with this off season. We are going to shock some neah sayers this year. 

Thanks Franklin County for this thorough write up of your overall impressions. You are providing a very vital service for diehard Colts fans that would love to have attended minicamp, but can't due to work, travel constraints, too great of a distance to fly there & back, or other obligations & commitments. Intimidation in the secondary & those piercing eyes of Landry. Nice! I live for that man...

"DHB has very good hands (unlike what we all have been hearing here) and made alot of very good catches in traffic. He is VERY fast and physical. He looks like a #1 receiver. A+"

I wanna see DHB in Preseason games on NFL Network first. I didn't see too many Oakland games last year. I wanna see DHB take a hit against a worthy opponent & hang onto to the ball. I wanna see if theres any validity to poor hands allegations with live rounds in the football gun. Practice is just that practice...

"DHB has very good hands (unlike what we all have been hearing here) and made alot of very good catches in traffic. He is VERY fast and physical. He looks like a #1 receiver. A+"

I wanna see DHB in Preseason games on NFL Network first. I didn't see too many Oakland games last year. I wanna see DHB take a hit against a worthy opponent & hang onto to the ball. I wanna see if theres any validity to poor hands allegations with live rounds in the football gun. Practice is just that practice...

Why are your opinions alway so negative. You bring a lot of opinions to the forums but the larger part of them are negative. Do you always draw you opinions on the media? Just curious. Practice is just practice? I was kinda thinking that practice is what made players better and getting timing down with fellow players. Before getting all defensive go back and read your past comments. I bring this up not to start any kind of friction with you but as an observation. 

Why are your opinions alway so negative. You bring a lot of opinions to the forums but the larger part of them are negative. Do you always draw you opinions on the media? Just curious. Practice is just practice? I was kinda thinking that practice is what made players better and getting timing down with fellow players. Before getting all defensive go back and read your past comments. I bring this up not to start any kind of friction with you but as an observation.

Actually he is normally pretty optimistic, but his post was just a realistic view. We've seen enough tc stars turn into garbage over the years. As said earlier you don't win in June haha

Hey, was Josh Chapman on the field? If so, how did he move & look? Did Matthew Hasselbeck take any snaps? Jesus, I hope he doesn't experience any back problems this year in case we need him. 

Hasselbeck looked ok. He was off a little here and there. Dont know if it was a timing thing with him or receivers not running the right routes. But he is a very capable QB as we all know. New system for him and everyone to get use to. Sure they will get the timing and routes worked out. Just hope he never plays a down while he is here in Indy. (not that hes not competent) Love me some Andrew Luck.

Did anyone get a look at Werner? Interested to see how he looked. Can't wait to see that old school 4-point stance.

He looked good. He was on the starting squad, which is obviously a good thing. People were unsure if he would start or just be a rotational guy, and now we have that answer.

He looked good. He was on the starting squad, which is obviously a good thing. People were unsure if he would start or just be a rotational guy, and now we have that answer.

Walden played with the first team too. We won't know anything until after TC.

Walden played with the first team too. We won't know anything until after TC.

Right.  There's lots of time to work out different combinations to see what works best against different sets.  I expect Werner to rotate with Mathis and Walden to play the edge against the run.

the only validity is he has dropped balls...

he didnt drop as many as Avery or Hilton last year as they were the 2 worst in the NFL! https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2013/01/21/signature-stats-drop-rate-wide-receivers/

so we all love Hilton... though he setan NFL high drop rate... Avery got a hot new contract even though he had an NFL high drop rate... and DHB gets labeled butter fingers when he plays better than these two... fishy right?

DHB is a STUD. we are lucky to have him. I love the guy and am pumped that we have some cash next year cuz it will take a chunk to keep him. I hope we retain him as our #1 when Reggie leaves, he is a true sportsman and fits the Indy mold of solid team guy.

Thank you for helping me live vicariously through you!  It's great to hear. I think we have some great things to look forward to this season and I can not WAIT to see it all come to fruition this season!

No pads no contact, everything changes when it gets turned up a notch.

And that is one thing I love about Pagano....he is not afraid to let them hit on 'pad' days!!!  Does the player wrap up a tackle?  Can he block the bull rush etc.  

I think I read he might tone it down a little this camp....but we need to know who has what it takes to lay it on the line...especially those last cuts...Special Teams Play...ROCKS!!!  :)

And that is one thing I love about Pagano....he is not afraid to let them hit on 'pad' days!!!  Does the player wrap up a tackle?  Can he block the bull rush etc.  

I think I read he might tone it down a little this camp....but we need to know who has what it takes to lay it on the line...especially those last cuts...Special Teams Play...ROCKS!!!   :)

Agree 100%.

Y'know, the thing about it is Pagano & Grigs want to see competition in camp.  Well, you can't have true

competition if you don't let them go at it a bit in camp (not in OTA's but real training camp).  I look forward

to it.  It will make them a better team if they practice the way they play.

(cue Rudy film theme)

Thanks Franklin County for this thorough write up of your overall impressions. You are providing a very vital service for diehard Colts fans that would love to have attended minicamp, but can't due to work, travel constraints, too great of a distance to fly there & back, or other obligations & commitments. Intimidation in the secondary & those piercing eyes of Landry. Nice! I live for that man...

Not to mention his great butt.