Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Austin Collie is putting in a lot of work for his comeback - Ravens, Chargers might be good fits?

chad72

He got hit in the head last year again and never played again..Every time he gets hit in the head he's done, and 1 of these times he isn't gonna recover...

hm ok your right, but he wants to play then thats his decision.

He got hit in the head last year again and never played again..Every time he gets hit in the head he's done, and 1 of these times he isn't gonna recover...

hm ok your right, but he wants to play then thats his decision.

Both wrong, and both right.

Collie got hit in the head in preseason, then came back and hurt his knee. He definitely ought to be wrapped in caution tape at this point, but I hope that he can get back on the field and perform again. 

"At 27, he is willing to risk permanent brain injury for one last shot.

"I'll sign a waiver, all right?" he said. "They're not going to have to worry about me suing. I'll hold myself to be accountable."

This is exactly what scares me. Austin Collie sounds so tied to football as his sole identity as a WR what in the world is he gonna do when his NFL career comes to a full close? 

wishing him only the best whether he plays or not

I agree Barry. I respect Collie tremendously, but real friends tell you when it's just better to hang up your helmet & pads for good. He's got a wife & family to think about now & with his frequency of concussions who knows what 1 more final hard hit will do. As a physician yourself, I don't envy Dr.s who must tell their patients that the risks of playing outweigh the rewards of scoring another touchdown. JMO. 

I agree Barry. I respect Collie tremendously, but real friends tell you when it's just better to hang up your helmet & pads for good. He's got a wife & family to think about now & with his frequency of concussions who knows what 1 more final hard hit will do. As a physician yourself, I don't envy Dr.s who must tell their patients that the risks of playing outweigh the rewards of scoring another touchdown. JMO. 

had few athletes , none pros

But doing surgery on kids with birth defects I always hated to tell parents the gravest of all risks, your child can always have a reaction to the anesthesia and die, As the surgeon u r ultimately responsible for your patient

of course that's with any general anesthesia surgery , but to a parent it really resonates as the child has no idea

u have to look them in the eye and let them know u are playing it straight, make sure every detail of the surgery is spelled out not just in words but in models and diagrams, and always look back up after explaining something and ask right into ones eyes & say please ask any question. I want to answer anything u may have have on your mind, I want u to know I only have your child's best interest at heart first & foremost, I want u to understand exactly what I expect the result to be so u arent surprised,  I want you to agree only if u have full peace of mind and trust in me, if not , I can recommend u to someone, never had to send elsewhere

I really had a detailed consent form to make sure was an informed consent

I miss it so

Must go, bye

He was made out of the same thing Brandon Stokley was made out of while here.  The guy just cannot stay healthy so it will probably just end up being a wasted signing since he will get hurt again.

I get that he loves the game, but given all the research that is coming out with brain injuries and how people are in their older years you would think that would wake Collie up.  Just hang it up, enjoy the money you did make and do something else.  Why risk more pounding on your head?

He needs to retire before he ends up in a home....

What are your thoughts on the UFC? I' just curious because if this is how you view football than I can only wonder how opposed you are to Ultimate Fighting. 

He should go into coaching, guy is wonderful in the film room, great technique with a very solid route tree. Austin could really help out a lot of college WR's with his knowledge of the position. He has a lot to lose if he gets hurt again in the NFL, and I am not talking monetary. 

What are your thoughts on the UFC? I' just curious because if this is how you view football than I can only wonder how opposed you are to Ultimate Fighting.

Im fairly certain there is a significant difference between UFC, and the NFL.

How I view football???? I love the UFC too..I'm talking Collie, and he just can't take many more hits and it's obvious...Some guys can, but it seems every time he gets touched near the head it's over for him, and it's gonna continue to happen it's unavoidable...

How I view football???? I love the UFC too..I'm talking Collie, and he just can't take many more hits and it's obvious...Some guys can, but it seems every time he gets touched near the head it's over for him, and it's gonna continue to happen it's unavoidable...

Yep, I agree. I think taking sudden hits with the helmet on should be part of his rehab routine, like lead him to catch a pass at full speed next to a punching bag that is let go at him with a slow speed might be a good way to simulate it, maybe??? That will let him figure out when he falls, if he can keep his head straight on.

My point exactly. Thank you

If he loves the UFC which we know results in a significant amount of injuries and brain damage how can he be opposed to Collie playing Football again?

I mean you stated there is a huge difference between the 2 and I am assuming you were referring to the violence factor.

Football is much less violent (as you have helped to point out) and Collie's head injuries are nothing compared to what has happened in the Octagon. So why be so forceful that Collie can no longer play football? If it is okay that all this mean beat each other to pulps. Makes no sense to me. These men can live violent lives with no regard for their future health but Austin Collie can't play football? (which we have all decided is MUCH less violent)

If you love the UFC so much how can you blame Collie for wanting to play football? All these men can beat each other to a bloody pulp resulting in long term brain damage, but you don't think it is "okay" for another grown man to play a game where he could POSSIBLY be hit in the head which may result in a concussion which may lead to  brain damage? Talk about wanting your cake and eating it too.

Possibility of serious injurious, possibility of concussions and brain damage, knowing full well the likelyhood of these possibilities. Seems similar to me.

Ever seen a doctor or any medical expert ever say anything to this affect ever? No matter how many times he got injured? Your "opinion" should not override theirs. There is nothing special about Collie that makes him Susceptible to brain damage. If there was a doctor would have found it, do you know how many medical experts have examined him? I just don't see how you can state as a fact that this man can never play football again. And then turn your TV to spike and watch 2 men beat more brain cells out of each other than Collie would have lost in a decade of the NFL.

If he loves the UFC which we know results in a significant amount of injuries and brain damage how can he be opposed to Collie playing Football again?

I mean you stated there is a huge difference between the 2 and I am assuming you were referring to the violence factor.

Football is much less violent (as you have helped to point out) and Collie's head injuries are nothing compared to what has happened in the Octagon. So why be so forceful that Collie can no longer play football? If it is okay that all this mean beat each other to pulps. Makes no sense to me. These men can live violent lives with no regard for their future health but Austin Collie can't play football? (which we have all decided is MUCH less violent)

I see what your trying to say, but in the UFC your responsible for yourself, and there aren't owners and coaches that have to deal with their own conscious for letting you go out their and possibly become a vegetable....Also, in boxing and the UFC you have to be licensed and they take guys ability to fight away if they feel they are endangering themselves...Football is also different in the fact that you are being hit by 260 lb linebacker at full speed and it's like going through a car wreck....

I see what your trying to say, but in the UFC your responsible for yourself, and there aren't owners and coaches that have to deal with their own conscious for letting you go out their and possibly become a vegetable....Also, in boxing and the UFC you have to be licensed and they take guys ability to fight away if they feel they are endangering themselves...Football is also different in the fact that you are being hit by 260 lb linebacker at full speed and it's like going through a car wreck....

To get a boxing license all you have to do is have the ability to tie your shoes.....see tommy hearns, holyfield, ali, duran, etc....

Its has nothing to do with the violence factor.

There are several differences. One of the main being a large contingent of former UFC fighters are not suing the UFC. That is a massive factor.

Some other differences include size, and time of fights. Lets take George St. Pierre arguably the best fighter. He's been in 26 fights. Only 9 have been by knockouts....Lets take size into account. The heavyweight division is roughly 250lbs. (The current champ is 6-1, 240)...To put that in perspective, our rookie QB was 6-4 234...The time difference is massive as well. Generally fighters go about once every 6 months, where as a majority of these players, Collie included, come back within 3 weeks.

These fighters arent getting hit in the head repeatedly, day after day. 95% of the time they get hit in the head it is during the actual match, which lasts at max 25 minutes (Max of 5rds, Max of 5min).

Sure guys get knocked out. It happens a lot. But the difference is the time of recovery. And in the UFC and boxing it is FAAAAAR beyond what is available to NFL players. Imagine Collie getting knocked out Sept 1st. That means, with "UFC Rules", his next game back will be March 1st, where as they have been coming back no later than the end of Sept.

There are several differences. One of the main being a large contingent of former UFC fighters are not suing the UFC. That is a massive factor.

Some other differences include size, and time of fights. Lets take George St. Pierre arguably the best fighter. He's been in 26 fights. Only 9 have been by knockouts....Lets take size into account. The heavyweight division is roughly 250lbs. (The current champ is 6-1, 240)...To put that in perspective, our rookie QB was 6-4 234...The time difference is massive as well. Generally fighters go about once every 6 months, where as a majority of these players, Collie included, come back within 3 weeks.

These fighters arent getting hit in the head repeatedly, day after day. 95% of the time they get hit in the head it is during the actual match, which lasts at max 25 minutes (Max of 5rds, Max of 5min).

Sure guys get knocked out. It happens a lot. But the difference is the time of recovery. And in the UFC and boxing it is FAAAAAR beyond what is available to NFL players. Imagine Collie getting knocked out Sept 1st. That means, with "UFC Rules", his next game back will be March 1st, where as they have been coming back no later than the end of Sept.

You make good points. However (there's always something with me, right?), there's a lot of research in recent years about the brain trauma that football players take. It's not just about the significant blows to the head, but the little jarring hits, helmet bumps, even the way the neck moves with body contact, whiplash, and so on. All of that can lead to brain trauma, without an individual losing consciousness or being concussed. 

So if you have a fighter training and sparring for months, even though he's not taking big shots to the head, he is experiencing some potentially traumatic hits, similar to what the typical receiver would experience in an NFL game (assuming he's not getting speared in the head like Collie did). Especially an MMA fighter. And the cumulative effects of those little hits can be as damaging as one big hit.

To get a boxing license all you have to do is have the ability to tie your shoes.....see tommy hearns, holyfield, ali, duran, etc....

You make good points. However (there's always something with me, right?), there's a lot of research in recent years about the brain trauma that football players take. It's not just about the significant blows to the head, but the little jarring hits, helmet bumps, even the way the neck moves with body contact, whiplash, and so on. All of that can lead to brain trauma, without an individual losing consciousness or being concussed. 

So if you have a fighter training and sparring for months, even though he's not taking big shots to the head, he is experiencing some potentially traumatic hits, similar to what the typical receiver would experience in an NFL game (assuming he's not getting speared in the head like Collie did). Especially an MMA fighter. And the cumulative effects of those little hits can be as damaging as one big hit.

There are studies that show its the DL & OL that sufferes the most brain damage down the line pots retirement even without what we would think as a true concusssion, 

Think of a silent heart attack or mini stroke

the constant bumping of heads , though not overtly traumatic , can, over time cause the same damage or more than a series of Collie concusions, so are many ways to get damage, its up to collie, I wouldnt want to be in his position and make that call

& if he is at all a bit worried he sg houldnt as he may not play smartly but somewhat scarred for awahile and that can be trouble

"At 27, he is willing to risk permanent brain injury for one last shot.

"I'll sign a waiver, all right?" he said. "They're not going to have to worry about me suing. I'll hold myself to be accountable."

This is exactly what scares me. Austin Collie sounds so tied to football as his sole identity as a WR what in the world is he gonna do when his NFL career comes to a full close? 

He says that now but in 20 years he'll be trying to sue the NFL for not telling him that he could have concussions playing football.